Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An idea and suggestion:
    I think it would be a good idea to occassionally have "Exercise" as the DSG subject i.e along with weapon;object;environment etc.

and no I don't mean drawing someone pumping iron :p

I mean like the following;
    Draw a vase of flowers with your offhand (not your right hand if you are right handed).
    Draw a human face but draw upside-down.
    Draw with one eye covered.
    etc.
    These "Exercises" are great for fun and force you use the creative right hemisphere of your brain.
    DSG shouldn't be a competition, it should be a learning process. :chug:
    What do you think??

M.A.T.T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just given how much (or rather how little) I can actually spend on sketching for this activity, just *doing* the subject at all is an exercise. So while taking compositional suggestions is cool and all, I'm actually happy with how it goes already. Of course, I may not be the most proliffic in my posting here so I suppose the luxury of choosing which one I want to do instead of committing to doing it every day affords me the chance to wait until I have a good idea.

Okay, enough typing, more art. Be right back...

"The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say -- because they were too obvious."
    - André Gide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and because I'm not a normal person, I don't think normal thoughts about these sorts of topics. My first drawing seemed WAY too trite (frickin' laser beam) so I tried to get as wacky as possible with this one...

"The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say -- because they were too obvious."
    - André Gide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats a daaaamn small manifying glass, or a damn big ant...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mjv4745276: i have nothing against doing exercises, but not in DSG. DSG is a good place for learning, but it´s also supposed to be fun, drawing a face upside down is no fun, and even more boring would be to look at 40 peoples faces drawn upside down. Or vases. In my humble opinion, it´s up to each one of us to motivate ourself to do such exercises on our own and spare the world the boredom of it (or post it at the appropriate forum.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Point taken. maybe a separate forum for learning techniques and exercises would be a good idea.

M.A.T.T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try the middle class, it´s a group of artists at this forum that do the kind of stuff i think you are looking for. You can find them here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...?s=&forumid=38

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mjw im the moderator for the middle class, PM me if you want to find out what its all about. I managed to marker an idea i had tonight...didnt spend too much time on it, just enough time to throw out the concept. I still hate doing proper anatomy in sketches ...so i cheated bwahahah.

The people of Tanash loathed the two moons - for they were the last source of their power, and irrevocably, the source of their demise...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Iotrez; January 30th, 2004 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *gg* Iotrez: what does that thing shoot? Body liquids...?

Commander Obvious: Great idea! I`ll think twice before nearing the next ant-hill ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol nice idea Cybot, love the twist! your shading could do with a bit more thought - shading with the direction of the form.

once again, im the odd one out when it comes to comments.

Is my work crap?? or is it just uncommentable??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks and sorry, form_n_focus,

no not crap. The quality is fine - I just didn`t understand it completly...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry lol i was sposed to explain but forgot.

ok explanation of my piece:

basically the planet has stopped rotating (unrealistic, i know, but just go with it) and the moon is now the only source of energy for the peoples of Tanash, who live on the moonside because the other side eventually burned due to its constant exposure to the sun. However, the moons are still orbiting, and will eventually be thrown out of orbit and the Tanashi will be plunged into an apocalyptic darkness.

Thus they both love and hate the two moons.

What you see in the picture are sentry posts - guard towers if you will, against the solicks (sunsiders) who seek to capture the moonside before the apocalypse.

The moon charges the turrets where the energy is stored and pumped to the rifles that the sentries hold. the tanashi land has no raw materials suitable for manufacturing conventional munitions, so this is the last defense they have. That explain it a bit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a bit

ok, now it makes sense.
    But what do they guard there? The whole planetside? Some village in the background would be nice...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    was gonna do something, but

a) too lazy

b) liked the sorta barren feel.

i dunno, might give it a try later. the more i go over it the more i feel it was contrived and rushed, so i may not do any more work on it after all. Thanks for the ideas tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice forum, just found it.
    I never can decide what I should draw, while learning the Painter. Now I know, at least one topic for a day..

this image take "too long" about 3 hours, i think sketchs should be litle faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first marker sketched..
    afterwards in photoshop coloren..

took 2 hours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want a flashlight like that.

I'll try to get a submission in, today. Pressed for time, right now.

Great work, fellas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well, it's a light gun. Shoots like a lazer with the comfort of a rifle. enjoy!

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by form_n_focus
    sorry lol i was sposed to explain but forgot.

ok explanation of my piece:

basically the planet has stopped rotating (unrealistic, i know, but just go with it) and the moon is now the only source of energy for the peoples of Tanash, who live on the moonside because the other side eventually burned due to its constant exposure to the sun. However, the moons are still orbiting, and will eventually be thrown out of orbit and the Tanashi will be plunged into an apocalyptic darkness.

Thus they both love and hate the two moons.

What you see in the picture are sentry posts - guard towers if you will, against the solicks (sunsiders) who seek to capture the moonside before the apocalypse.

The moon charges the turrets where the energy is stored and pumped to the rifles that the sentries hold. the tanashi land has no raw materials suitable for manufacturing conventional munitions, so this is the last defense they have. That explain it a bit?
    Actually, just a note about astronomy that might seem pedantic of me to point out...

For a planet still in orbit around a sun (a presumption on my behalf), it would have to continue rotating for only one side to see the sun. The reason why is obvious if you try to do this yourself with two objects. Pretend one is the sun and move your "planet" around it while keeping only one side facing the sun at all times. You'll find yourself rotating the planet, albeit very slowly (depending on the radius of the orbit). I'm pretty sure this is the way our own moon orbits us here on Earth (hence the term "dark side of the moon" referring to the side of the moon we never see because of that).

As for the moons almost staying in orbit around a slowly rotating planet, I think it is possible if the planet is massive enough and by the same token as the previous explanation, you see that the moons are also orbiting the planet at the same rate of the planet's rotation. This gives the appearance to observers on the planet's surface of zero motion, but it is really just a relative term now. This is a type of orbit we put many satellites in called "geosynchronous" meaning synchronized to the planet's rotation. It is usually a much MUCH higher orbit altitude than the satellites you see moving across the sky.

Additionally, if you're really picky, you could point out that even a geosynchronous orbit is rarely motionless but often the satellite traces out a stretched figure-eight pattern with the intersection of the looping orbit paths centered over the earth's equator.

However, for moons to leave orbit but hang around long enough and close enough for the people of the planet to develop light technology, one could presume that their orbits are decaying slowly (which is true of every orbit because of entropy). It requires a considerable amount of energy to propel an object out of orbit rapidly (slingshot effect we've used many times with our own satellites, especially the deep space ones we want to speed WAY up). It is conceivable to fling a moon out of it's nearly geosynchronous orbit but that would require something massive knocking it into a lower orbit and that would cause the moon to be flung out of orbit as it accellerated toward the planet. The tidal forces of TWO moons, each large enough to reflect light on the scale for those weapons, would be tremendous, possibly causing such a slowly rotating planet to speed up its rotation.

This has been a completely off-topic post for this forum, I know, and I'm sorry for that. But I figured you might be interested because you used some actually feasible concepts and I just wanted to point them out. I'm a huge nerd and stuff like this sets me off like bacon does to a dog.

- André Gide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's actually really interesting Commander Obvious! The cool thing about concept art is that there is almost no useless data. All principles of science, biology, math, technology, culture, ect can be used as a jumping off point for ideas.

Interestingly, I was just talking to someone about this and apparently Mercury rotates slowly like Commander Obvious described; it has a hot side facing the sun and a dark side. Apparently on the hot side it's far to hot for human habitation while on the dark side it's much much colder than any temperatures on earth, too cold for human habitation. So actually the only area humans could habitate is the "twilight zone" between the hot and cool sides. This is third or fourth-hand data so... CO can let me know if I'm way off-base.

Last edited by Jane Radstrom; January 30th, 2004 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My physics teacher and I had basically that same conversation last year Commander Obvious.

basically the planet has stopped rotating (unrealistic, i know, but just go with it)
    Well, seemingly its more realistic than you might think. The Earth's rotation is actually slowing down (minutely of course).

-toasty =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! It's only my third post here. Here's the drawing I made in about 2 hours... I know I'm still not too fast, but furious because I'm not fast :p

-----------------------------------------------------------
    What would I do without undo? :ep:

BartMax :thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I used a reference photo of some guy holding a rifle. I realize that he can't use the sight with a lightbulb sitting in front of it, but other than that I'm happy with it.

Guidance - if you could change ONE thing...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres my rifle.
    it absorbs the light in from around it, hence camoflaging the person holding the rifle. the kick stand looking thing in the front is actually a magnet that corresponds with one below on the ground, allowing the rifle to be balanced and easily held for long periods of time. the scope uses sound because the lack of light, its not as clear but will suffice. the tubes near the bottom harness excess light. [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It ain't a lot but it's what I got

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iotrez - Nice design and style. Looks great as a Playstation game character for some pre-teen shoot 'em up.

GirafeEnFeu - Fun idea. I like oldschool fire arms.

Hunger_Artist - I really like the colours and the fact the head is out of shot. The light particles are a nice touch too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Foo-Foo Ray - I didnt spend too much time on it ( As much as I could. I still wanted to participate even though I didnt spend an hour) but I think I got my idea across. I obviously need to use reference on the gun next time.

Used against the Evil-ish-ness of the world. MUAHHAHAHHAHA!

"Theres no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love. There is only a scarcity of resolve to make it happen." ~Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.