Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My white trash method for finding inspiration.

Thanks

My white trash method for finding inspiration.

This is a method that I've been screwing around with lately and I was wondering what you guys think.

When I can't think of anything to draw, I type random stuff into Google Images to find interesting pictures. Usually it's a first name, sometimes a verb, sometimes even short, random assortments of letters. My theory behind this is that I've seen a lot of pictures marked with random things that mean something to someone somewhere, and while I wouldn't recommend this to beginners or for a finished work, I've created some cool sketches from it.

What I'm getting at is the whole random image trawling thing. I've found many more interesting sources of reference when I have no idea what I'm looking for as opposed to when I'm looking for something specific.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's easier to see when you aren't trying so hard looking.

Good method. I've taken this same process into real life applications - purposefully driving somewhere random that I've never been before and studying it, drawing it, going out of my way without a destination, but a journey instead. The time in between departure and arrival always yields the most interesting results.

Nicely done.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    I look for faces and creatures in rocks, tree bark, leaf arrangements and spit splatters. I don't know if it's just me but I see some craaazy shit.. There's tons of ways to look at things, observing all angles always inspires something new.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I'm strapped for ideas I'll take a marker/brush pen and start making fake Chinese caligraphy. Of course, none of it actually means anything in Chinese or any other language, but it forces me to at least pick up a tool and move it on a paper, and causes me to stop analyzing everything I'm doing (sometimes I think that artist block is a failure to relax and let the mind wander) afterward I have a bunch of quick random looking squiggles and shapes.

I have recently taken to doing this with a 30% to 50% graytone marker, that way I can easily go in with a darker marker and start finding form within the squiggles and shapes, then go in with a fine line black pen and work out the details.

I don't think I'm the 1st person to work like this, I'm actually fairly certain it is similar to the common trick of finding silhouette forms that Ive seen from many other artists, including those well known from gnomon videos and my Alma Mater of ACCD, however, I've only seen it used as a way of generating ideas when the artit already knows what thy ill be drawing; not as a way to kickstart the artistic process when someone would otherwise be drawing a blank.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    hey instead of trying to find something random on the internet why dont you go out let random inspirations come to you? Im sure when you go out (even in your own backyard), if you pay attention to your surroundings and people, you will find plenty of inspirational stuff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Let me see how this works.

MEAT BEE FARTS:

CANDY GUNS:

CHICKENS ON ACID:

SPACE GOAT:

Huh not a bad method

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    I take inspiration from my dreams. My brain comes up with the craziest crap. Just some days ago it showed me a literal catfish - a cat's head stuck on a fish's body.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    I take inspiration from my dreams. My brain comes up with the craziest crap. Just some days ago it showed me a literal catfish - a cat's head stuck on a fish's body.
    Haha I'm jealous of that. I only dream strange stories, never seen a creature in my dreams - And I just realized that this instance. I feel deprived.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Oddly enough I had a dream about rendering that completely changed the way I draw til this day. I was drawing in the dream and said "maybe I should try drawing better from now on" and I did. It was probably the weirdest experience in my entire life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    @Ryan, we can trade - you can have my weird creatures and I can have your weird stories. ;D

@Raoul, I wish my brain would tell me that. I think it's thinking too much about things other than art.

Thanks
    Something I've filled up pages in my sketchbook doing recently is just quickly and lightly scribbling some shapes, all piled up on top of each other, sort of semi-randomly. I'll usually have a specific kind of shape in mind like triangles, or big loops. I'll pile 3 or 4 of these shapes on top of each other, then trace the outline with a heavier pencil or pen. Suddenly the silhouettes look like they could be all sorts of things, guns, creatures, spaceships, etc. It's really fun, and if you don't have anything specific in mind can be a great exploratory/experimental thing to try out. The key is to not get too intentional with the shapes, and to keep it down to 3 or 4 shapes...beyond that and it starts to get too messy to really see much in. I've been meaning to scan some of the pages of the doodles I've done, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    Something I've filled up pages in my sketchbook doing recently is just quickly and lightly scribbling some shapes, all piled up on top of each other, sort of semi-randomly. I'll usually have a specific kind of shape in mind like triangles, or big loops. I'll pile 3 or 4 of these shapes on top of each other, then trace the outline with a heavier pencil or pen. Suddenly the silhouettes look like they could be all sorts of things, guns, creatures, spaceships, etc. It's really fun, and if you don't have anything specific in mind can be a great exploratory/experimental thing to try out. The key is to not get too intentional with the shapes, and to keep it down to 3 or 4 shapes...beyond that and it starts to get too messy to really see much in. I've been meaning to scan some of the pages of the doodles I've done, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    That's pretty good. I think I'm gonna try this.

Thanks
    @Ryan, we can trade - you can have my weird creatures and I can have your weird stories. ;D
    Speak of the devil, I just awoke from riding a half giant sea serpent/half pterodactyl, in a watery, giant underground tunnel. The thing was making fun of me while I rode it. "You would've never made it out of here if I hadn't come a long, big things like me aren't scared of stuff down here."

I think your "catfish" inspired that haha. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ryan K; December 7th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast