Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Chow 183 :: The Dragon's Egg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 399 Posts
    Here is a little something for all of you who feel a bit stuck ATM. Should keep you going, eh?

All though, I feel a bit stuck myself as well. Guess most of us got a bit burned out after last weeks ChOW
    Rendering her face like there`s no tomorrow...I think I`ll just let it rest for today and look at it with a fresh pair of eyes...sounds like a plan!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did a couple of sketches and I liked this one the most. I want to keep it simple coz I've got some other bits and pieces I need to do this week.

Thanks

Angry Wip 02

I'm going from newest to oldest, so I won't write a comment on a picture at page 4 and when reaching page 6 I found out there is a new update on it

Crit's :
    PxelSlayer:
    Great detail on her face. Is her hair held up by something? I think you should make that message a bit more clear because it now looks like she got herself a big conehead

ImaGEEnation:
    Cool and classic composition. She got some good and strong expression

The Bee:
    Funny take on the story Allthough is the 'egg' being a real egg or a fake one just to fool the bypassers? Because if you want it to be a real egg, make it a bit more round. The corners in this egg will definitely hurt for mother-dragon

Pierce9:
    Good angle and pose is good. Although her right leg (left for viewer) is a bit to much straigt behind her other leg (to much inwards I mean). I think you should place it a bit more to the left so her feet will be harder to see but the walkcycle becomes a bit more natural.

CKLamb:
    Cool girl-design and the dragon behind here gives a great visual. But I think the header/blackcloud and the right part of the image isn't of very much good use. Maybe you should give the image a bit more space to the left, she is a bit close to the edge I think

AndrewRitchie:
    Ah I first thought the egg was behind her and she was just staring forwards, but after a second look I found out she is looking at the egg, that lays in the foreground.
    The angle and depth/distance-variation in this image is cool. Although I think her expression is a bit to neutral. Or is she seeing those egg's every week?

Jager:
    Awesome composition of your image. All the elements are placed classicly and cliché but it's working great Love to see the final of this one

Omizu:
    Your theme is quite unique and not much used, although I think that your image has no clear message. Is she bored? Or not amused with the egg? Or is she studying the egg? It all depends on her facial-expression so maybe you should do more with your environment.

Caban:
    I can't choose, I think 2 or 3. But the devilchick at image 2 is to much of a distraction

Liffey:
    Awesome character design I only think that the claws from the egg are a bit to big compared to those little wings. When I measure the egg, the feet and the wings of the baby-dragon this is a 'Red-white-spotted-dragon-with-big-ass-feet'
    Is she going to beat up the egg? Or is she her protector?

Devoid:
    Nice character design so far Is she ending up in a environment or just a plain background?

Katanasoul:
    I agree with the little-boring-ness, although the image is nice and clean Maybe you could make it a bit better with darkening the forest on her right. And let the little dragons shoot a little fire-cloud, his/her first firebeam

Kingkostas:
    Great image Nicely painted! But I think her neck (maybe shoulders as well) is a bit to big/wide for such a small girl

-

I'll need to go back to work otherwise my ass will get kicked Hopefully I have helped some of you with my crit's
    The Chow has a lot of entry's so I won't be able to comment on all.

Here is my other update, I only worked 40 minutes on the char but it su.cks! :@ Her pose is weird, it's hard to give her a good expression and I am a huge noob when it comes to character designing.
    BUT, I'll try to finish this piece with a decent quality.

Cheers!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Absorber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Allright crit and update.
    Garth Cochrane: Looks good.
    PxelSlayer: I like it so far but the way she is sitting seems a little uncomfortable to me. I think maybe if you tucked the front leg under a little more it would work better. Also I think the shadow under her hands should be darker with such a strong light source. BTW loved the inspirational Jack vid.
    ImaGEEnation: Looks good. The only thing I could add is her hands may be a little small.
    Pixeltuner + monkeyElite: You can do it, you can do it, put a little power to it! Or something like that. Just start sketching and see where you get.
    the bee: Love her outfit. I think I actually wore that when I was 12. The egg is a little unclear as an egg but thats about it. No wait move, her down a bit she is standing behind the closest edge of the box right now but her hand is in front of it.
    Pierce9: Looks good.
    CKLamb: Love it.
    Jager: Damn, I'm in love.
    Caban: I'm leaning towards the top right and bottom left in your thumbs. I like the interaction with the egg in the bottom left and the landscape in the top right.
    Liffey: Sweet character. Love the giant claws.
    Katanasoul: Try desaturating the foggy areas behind her a little it should push her forward and them back. Also maybe darkening the trees closest to us. I like it though.
    kingkostas: Absolutely adorable.
    drobyazko: As someone already said try getting a photo ref or a friend to hold the pose for a few minutes.
    ARRGH!: Love the composition.
    Venger: You definitely have the fantasy adventure book feel.
    monkeydoodles: Looks good.
    skorpi: It may be a little late to say this but I kinda like the composition of the top left one.

All right thats all I've got in me. I think I'm gonna play around with the concept again and see what I come up with.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kailaan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well a little more playing around. I'm all over the place with this one. However I kinda like the geisha girl one I was thinking a little glowing egg in a cage like a lucky cricket.

Thanks
    Katanasoul: I think the cause of the "boringness" of the image would be the expression on the girl's face. She stares right in front of her instead of the dragon (or something that could be behind her, like the mother dragon) and her expression is a fairly neutral one at that. An idea could be to turn the direction of her face towards that of the dragon and to change the expression in a more intense one (whether it's happiness or surprise or something else).
    As for the dragon: It's a bit tiny for an egg that big, and in order for it to stand up like this it would have to stand up on a platform inside the egg, just out of sight for us. An idea would be to sketch out a new dragon (there's nothing wrong with the design you have now though, just the way it's placed imo) and have this one stand at the bottom of the egg's shell with it's hindlegs and pop out with it's head and tail, like you intended. (It's not meant to be personal, but I feel like you might've drawn the dragon on top of the egg instead of inside it.)

Rumpenstiltzkin: I noticed that Josu beat me to it (*Shakes fist at Josu*), though he hadn't replied yet by the time I started writing my post. I didn't mean to rub your nose in it or anything.

The Bee: That outfit is so adorable. :p
    Some things I want to point out though: Her arms are a bit too thin, and her eyes are lemon shaped. Even as a neutral expression it seems off, but when you're smiling like that, your cheeks push up the archs of your lower eyelids (like this: http://files.egan.com/imgLib/teamboa...milingGirl.jpg)
    Last edited by Armonah; December 9th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
    Here is my other update, I only worked 40 minutes on the char but it su.cks! :@ Her pose is weird, it's hard to give her a good expression and I am a huge noob when it comes to character designing.
    BUT, I'll try to finish this piece with a decent quality.

I have to say I liked the first sketch with your girl being larger compared to the egg. The focus now seems more on the egg than the girl. Maybe better to have her trying to climb up the egg... so you can see more of the character design.

Thanks
    IF I manage to find time to catch up and finish this one (a big "if" considering my current schedule) I am going with this layout. I received some very good advice regarding composition and more creating drama.

i live in frome (england) in the county of somerset.
    Thanks
    all of these are really really good!!! you should check out my gallery

http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Brin%20Porter-Palmer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin Porter-Palmer View Post
    all of these are really really good!!! you should check out my gallery

http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Brin%20Porter-Palmer
    Hey Brin

Please don't use this forum for self-advertising. If you wish to receive feedback on your work, you can go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    or start a sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

If you look around you'll see that a lot of people have links to their sketchbooks (and portfolio websites and dA profiles) in their forum signatures that 'invites' other people to check them out when they feel interested to do so. It's kind of rude to blatantly advertise yourself like this, not to mention that it comes across as spam, especially on forums that are not meant for that at all.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    absorber- Thnx for the crits mate.Your work looks interesting.I think while the leaves are nice , you may overused them(but the blending will show ).Keep working it

kailaan- Thnx your character looks unique and the legs are great

ok here some more progress

Thanks
    K...Loads and loads of great entries. I'll try and find some time to give some feedback. Most of it will involve me saying "WOW" and "Great stuff", etc.

Anyway.

UPDATES:

Loads of tweaks to make her younger looking to better fit the brief.
    beginnings of skin tone added.
    Clothing added.

Things to consider:

Elven/fairy ears poking through hair
    Backdrop - Forest/cave/ambient light/dragon??
    Embroidery detail in silk over gown thingy.

C&C more than welcome

Chow 183 :: The Dragon's Egg

Thanks

Smile Chow#183_Ninsta

Chow 183 :: The Dragon's Egg

this is my first official attempt at a Chow ....( well at least of posting it) I've never gotten up the nerve to actually put anything on here. But that's all changed and I'm upping my game. Here goes nothing lol
    Oh and she will have clothes, just trying to figure that stuff out now.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast