Need some help with pointillism
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need some help with pointillism

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some help with pointillism

I've been assigned a project for class that involves pointillism and was wondering if someone could direct me to some tutorials or give me some tips on it. I've searched on google and this forum, but can't seem to find any.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you were assigned it in class, couldn't you just ask your teacher?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pointillism+technique

you really couldn't find anything from google..?

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    use lots of small dots

what medium are you using?

For painting do an tonal under painting let it dry.

When applying your color:mix your colors and apply them in small stokes or points but match the value of your colors to that of your under painting.

a student example:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Zazerzs; December 6th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    "Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally...I would question the assignment. Maybe point out to your teacher that there is one artist in the history of art that was mildly succesful with pointilism (Georges Seurat; French Neo-Impressionist) Even then it was more of a novelty than an effective method of painting....IMHO...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be a little more specific i'm looking for info on value/tone with pointillism.
    The medium is pen and ink.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh...ok, that's different- and you have an opportunity to teach your teacher! Pointilism refers to the application of tiny dots of relatively pure color (points) that when viewed at a normal viewing distance blend optically to create the image.

Tiny dots of ink applied to create value is a technique called "stippling". Stippling was a very common technique used during the golden age of illustration because it was easy to reproduce in publication. Virgil Finlay was an illustrator who used stippling to great effect. Google him and maybe do some research on "stippling technique". Good luck!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second the recommendation to look at Virgil Finlay. Also glad you defined stippling v. pointillism, JeffX99 - that's a common mistake. I do mostly pen and ink stippling these days, but I don't know what to tell you aside from the obvious - dots go closer together in the dark areas, and farther apart in the light areas. I usually pencil in the outlines, ink over them, then do a flat-black ink wash with a brush in any dark shadow areas, then work from those areas out. Leaving in light pencil lines where shadows transition from dark to medium to light helps you pace your gradient. The spacing of dots makes a big difference in the texture of the final work - if you get lazy, as I often do, and do not pay attention to spacing your marks evenly, the texture is going to look much rougher in the end. Meticulously planning out your dark and light areas before you start will go a long way towards helping you figure out how far apart your dots should be in each area.

The following are from Virgil Finlay - he used stippling in conjunction with other techniques, such as scratchboard. Here is a hefty collection of images from Finlay.

Attached Images Attached Images    

11. The Following User Says Thank You to H-M-B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help. I think I figured it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow brings me back to my high school days and makes me wonder why they teach it. Makes me realise how much the high school art curriculum should be changed to reflect modern markets, they would be better off having an assignment to design a book cover or how to create iterations of concept art because those are larger markets and it would expose students to industries they might not be aware of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did THIS with Micron pens. Basically, I sketched out the outlines very lightly with pencil and some of the darker areas. Then starting with the biggest pen, started spreading dots in the darkest areas. As I went to the lighter areas, I moved smaller and smaller. I did this with 3 different sizes. If you really want to go crazy, you can get a mechanical pencil and go even lighter, but I have only taken it that far once and will never do it again. I erase lines as I go, but you can erase all your light pencil work once it is completely dry. Be sure to let it cure before you attack it with eraser. I learned that the hard way.
    \

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.