Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: HEY THERE!

Thanks
    Hey there,

super cool sb you got here mate. I really appreciate your dedication to the subject. And when i compare the page 1 and others i can clearly see its paying off handsomely.

Well im a beginner and its just been 2 months since i started self-learning here at CA. so im afraid i have no crits about painting for now. But i have a little suggestion; that is, you should improve on your line-work. try to draw more graceful curves. i collected a list of useful books and tutorials so ill share em with you here. Hope it helps. ThomasM has given me a good list of books some time back so ill include em here as well.

Drawing Landscapes in Pencil - Ferdinand Petrie
    Imaginative Realism - James Gurney
    Light and Colour - James Gurney
    Icon - Frank Frazzetta
    Drawing Animals - Jack Hamm
    Drawing Scenery seascapes and landscapes

this is another book i got lately. seems really useful for me.
    Drawing the Female figure by Francis Marshall.

This book will help you to improve your pencils. well i love pencils. so here you go.
    Pencil Drawing Techniques by David Lewis

here goes some digital painting tutorials i found on youtube sometime back. i posted it already on another sb so ill link it here.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=182

Some PS tutorials i posted sometime back. theres a load of goof tutorials here. take a look if youre interested.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=806

Keep up the good work mate. Ill drop by later and if i see something odd ill surely point it out. Best of luck!
    My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to devastacio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers for stopping by bro. Like me, you should be trying to find some sort of equilibrium between your loose work and exact studies.

Maybe try working with some hard edged brushes with no opacity and just colour picking by eye?

Whatever method you choose for reconciling the two approaches is up to you, but keep at it.

Peas!

Thanks
    devastacio- Thanks man for all the tips and book recommendations. I'm on my way to getting better line quality. I think part of it is gaining a sense of your connection with the pencil on the page( lol, it's almost a sensual connection)- and the other part is simply having the understanding of how to draw what your drawing. I've sort of abandoned color for digital at this moment. I'll check out all those tutorials man.

RyanRyan- Thanks yo. I'll keep that in mind.
    ----

Hey all!

So, I recently went to the Tim Burton gallery in Toronto, and these were some sketches I did. I tried to capture his sense of style as I browsed through his art. And I also learned about his imagination, which is rather haunting, and fantastical in the sense of total creativity. His stuff is definitely like no other artists I've seen.

not reluctant to say, I would like to visit again into this madman's mind.

hope y'all like. The rest are cafe sketches of people at my school, and a Tangent excercise from class.

More and better to come!

peace!
    Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

6. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey nice set of sketches there mate and thanks for bringing in the information about 'Tim Burton'. You made me to visit his official site and man his style is awesome eh?

I like your overall line quality in the last piece mate. good tidy work there.

I think part of it is gaining a sense of your connection with the pencil on the page( lol, it's almost a sensual connection)- and the other part is simply having the understanding of how to draw what your drawing.
    Yeah you're spot on about that mate. Pencils are my favs too but i know very little about them yet. After i finish my anatomy im going to try and master it. And hey snce you bought out the pencils topic, have you ever tried painting on top of the pencils? weird idea maybe but i tried it out lately and i love it.

Keep up the good work mate.
    My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Hey Andre good to see you took full advantage of your Tim Burton experience. Everything he does always looks so damn cool and unique so spending time studying him is all good. Great job on quick sketches, I'm sure these people were not still for long so you have done well to get down the essence of them.

Thanks
    devastacio- Hey. yeah your right. Also I got that James Gurney book man. Light and color- hoping to check it out soon! it looks promising.

Marian Rowling- Thanks Marian. Yeah, Tim Burton's style is unique and different. I'll study him more later on... and your also right about those people moving so fast!

----

What's up Concept Art. I feel like I haven't posted in a while, although I'm sure it hasn't been that long really. And I'm kinda sad to say, this new post isn't anything mind-blowing. I've just been caught up with schoolwork recently, and even that's not worth showing lol... Although, learning Illustration history has made me see it in a new light, and I'm now exploring more about some old-time artists and how they did their thing.

Hope to keep learning!

for now here are some more traditional sketches, people gestures, a photo of the CN Tower downtown T.O, and two 2009 self portraits lol .

(I feel like I'm getting better at digital too, even though I haven't done that in a while also- it's weird.)

thanks for checkin y'all... peace! Hope to have an even better update next time for ya!
    Last edited by poetry man; January 29th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

_________

Thanks
    You're working very hard, very inspiring. Keep focusing on constructions and thinking in simple shapes, as I think that'll help you the most at this point. Keep it up.

Thanks
    cgaddict- Thanks for the encouragement yo! I'll definitely keep it up!

---

Hey Concept art. I think it's been about a month? lol, I've been doing some mad practicin, gotta get better! Here are some gesture drawings. two are from 2008, and one has a "fake frame" I made in Photoshop. I'm not proud of it. I'm just experimenting with making template borders all of a sudden.

I have slightly abandoned digital painting for the time being, because I want stronger fundamental skills.

So you'll be seeing a lot more sketches and process.

More to come, peace!

_________

12. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks

MORE ART...

Some still life practice, and then some more sketchbook pages..

One of the still lifes have a border which I found online. I'm not proud of it. I'm just into experimenting with borders around my images in photoshop. Free Frame border from "Sharon D Pruitt"--> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinksherbet/2983849225/

- Then there are composition practices. I'm sure they're doing something for me-- I don't know what yet, lol. Try them out sometime!

- Then there is an experimental self-portrait in PS. Really trying out nothing but black on white for the time being to increase my understanding of light sources.

- There is also a room scale for rooms in my house for a project, they're rough.

- And then there are just some more sketchbook pages to continue ramming fundamentals into my head: shapes, contours, line quality, etc etc etc.

Have a good day y'all.

Peace!

_________

14. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Andre great updates. You've got some really good looking gestures and life drawings going on and I like the still life studies. I always enjoy seeing what you have been up to and the progress you are making is sound.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like your life drawings a lot, the cartoons too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey bro, some of your images don't seem to be loading for me. Despite that though, after a month it does look like you are working on your basics.. Keep up the good work.. and keep having fun =)

Thanks
    Marian Rowling-Hey Marian, thanks for keeping in touch. yeah, I practice fundamentals everyday! I think I have a better idea of where I want to be as an artist now. I'll check out your stuff soon!

GoGoJojo- Hey there! Thanks for checkin out my sketchbook. Hope you come back . I'll check your stuff out sometime!

Kungfoowiz- Thanks for checkin in kungfoowiz- I'm not sure why the stuff isn't showing. I'll go and check that out, I'll see your page in a bit!

----

Hey concept artz peoplez...

Here is some things I've been doing lately. I don't wanna go back to massive posts lol, but I have a lot of contemplating right now. Trying to think more professionally where I want to be. I've seen so many past illustrators works that have really opened up my eyes. I'll try and update regularly still though.

Here ya go:

experimental watercolor self portrait- need to get better at that! my sister, some still life studies, a lot of posemaniacs gestures 10,30 and 1 mins- trying out my new approach to gestures using my brush set. I'm unto something with this one folks! and the last thing is a mock advertising illustration project we had to do for business class. As you can see, I love experimenting with the invert colors in PS.

I'll update with some more practice sketches later.. there's too much to post right now.

peace and God bless!

_________

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1