Follows
    Following
    Great, a lot of updates ! More !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andre you bastard!

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All those caricatures look fun. I bet everyone went away with a smile on their face.

I agree about the anatomy drawings - I mess mine up and play with them, which is why I don't post them; I don't think anyone would understand after I've totally destroyed them.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post NEW PATH...

RSloan- Thank you. I try my best from now on...
    Marian Rowling- Thanks for the much-needed encouragement Marian, you're always a good friend!
    Kungfoowiz- Lol
    Lyno- More is on its way man! stay tuned!
    kimozabbi- what?
    Black Spot- Thanks. Ye, last year caricaturing was fun. Lots of laughs. Concerning your anatomy studies, I would like to see them. I'm sure there is an interesting abstract or theoretical appeal to them. I like scribbles, lol.

----

Hi Everybody!

Yes... I am still alive! lol. I've just been going through some life-stuff.

But anyway.
    I've been studying Bridgman and Vilppu for a week now. I'll post those studies soon...

Following this post is a rant. Be prepared!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Hi Everyone!

Here's the news.

I'm no longer in school, since I dropped. Mainly, because I felt my time spent there wasn't helping me to get good portfolio-worthy material, rather I felt I was just "there" to do assignments and get grades. But I would prefer If I improve my draftsmanship and then go back to school at a later time in my life to get the diploma/degree to show my "competence", but I sincerely don't feel I'm missing out anything with my decision. I hope somebody out there understands my position.

Call it the "school vs. Self-taught" direction if you want. I just feel they aren't focusing on draftsmanship, rather getting money from me to learn new technologies. But I think technologies can always be learned. I'm not "against" schooling, I just feel it's necessary personally to first develop my craft, and then go to school afterwards to learn the business side of things. Because honestly, since I started college 4 years ago, (starting from art fundamental to animation to illustration), I don't have MUCH to show for it portfolio-wise. And I think that's sad, because all that time I was simply struggling to get work done on time. Now I understand the benefits of this. I have GREATLY improved overall. But the classes themselves were not what improved my skill level. They only aided in my understanding of HOW to improve, which is good. But as far as that goes, it didn't give me any portfolio work I could be proud of, seriously.

And the reason is because they don't teach you draftsmanship... they only teach you the industry, the history, and certain "techniques" or "principles" to lead you on in your journey-- which is good. But little of that in my opinion is going to help you become a Better Artist, if you, yourself don't train yourself on a daily basis with the established basics, doing assignments for grades is only going to get you frustrated in my honest opinion.

I've basically taken a detour to learn things the "hard-way".. it was not my intention. Really.

So Now, this means, it's harder to get my foot stepped into the industry doors, but when worst comes to worst, you keep your head up and move forward.

Thanks for hearing me out whoever you are. I feel better about my vent.

---

Now unto business...

I made different types of art schedules I want to get accomplished for self-training for the next year-and-a-half (which seem highly unrealistic due to daily time-constraints), but I'll do the best I can, and study what I need to.

Have a good day! here are some brush experiments and color studies I've been doing. I need to do a ton more of these until I can ably-comprehend my painting techniques and digital workflow-- and I will!

Bye!

Attached Images Attached Images                                    

_________

6. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand what you mean about school, I've had those feelings too. Do whatever you have to just keep doing your art! Go go go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're coming along nicely. I really the gesture drawings.

As for school, I think it's good if you can afford it, you get into a decent art school, and draw on your own time as well.

The thing is, art teachers push you to draw/practice more (I had a teacher who made us sketch a complete picture in our sketchbook every day), and this is basically what we learn here. You also learn the fundamentals of art...which you may not see the value of it now, but later on in life, you will. Lastly, I don't know how your classes were, but usually when we completed a painting in class, all of the students would critique each others work which was very helpful.

Still, I can see your point. I had traditional art classes and only one art class dealing with digital media...so I'm not sure how those classes operate

Anyways, keep up the good work.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome bro, you have given yourself a wonderful opportunity.. like one door closes and another one opens.. that reminds me a maze I once played in NWN.. damn awesome game too.. pity I can't play video games anymore.. Wish I had your opportunity tbh, but I'm too much of a pussy.. =( Loved the colours, well I wish you luck bro, anything is possible, just got to put your mind to it and make it happen. Have fun =)

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are going to have to be so self disciplined from now on. Do the weekly challenges here at least once a month. If you want, I'll nag you. Also find a local life drawing class.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andre you bastard. Why am i finding this out now?!and im suppose to be your bestfriend, hahahhaa. Yooooo, anyways join the club! We should do painting challenge now, right now im doing my second masters painting.

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No caps lock?thats gay

-Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Andre glad to read that you are feeling happier about your art direction. I'm interested to see where you go with this and I'm more than happy to keep supporting you and you have great potential and passion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo son!Lets do the Golden Boy challenge starting next month. go to Dave Rapozas sketchbook! It should be a blast challenge for both of us. It will keep us working. Post a reply on my profile so I could see if youre interested or not. peace out son!

-Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like these latest studies you posted. I like how loose the linework is and how you put just enough to depict the subject and arent overworking it. It's not too loose and not too tight, and looks like good study. Keep it up. and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Do you see the difference between 1st and last page?!
    That's a HUGE improvement. But you are working really hard, so that must be normal

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA all them COLOR COMP STUDIES RRRRRRR RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is really inspiring to see Your skill in 5 pages.

Thanks and keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup dudde!you should post your work since you dont wanna go chill and sketch. i want see your improvement and this new found technique you found.

-Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

GoGoJojo- Thanks for the encouragement!
    bish0p2004- I love doing gestures! thanks for encouragement!
    Kungfoowiz- anything is possible if you try! Thanks!
    Black Spot- I will try and do them as much as I can, but right now, my life is all about organizing my art, retaining my passion for art, and wisely using my time-management. But thanks for the continuous encouragement! I wont give up at all!
    Marian Rowling- Thanks Marian!
    kimozabbi- We'll go sketching soon man!
    ArtZealot- Thanks for the regard to my line-work. I try and keep it inspiring. Much much to learn man lol.
    vanaga- Hey thanks for checkin out my stuff! I just looked back at some previous posts I made . Yeah your right. I see the difference, although, it's still not professional enough yet. But I'll get there definitely!
    SMILEFACE- Thanks for the love on my color studies! I must do more...
    chora- Hey thanks for visiting my page. I hope I can continue getting better!
    -----

Hello everybody! Sorry I haven't replied or posted anything in so0 long.

It's been a daunting time in regards to finding out my purpose and why I do art at all. This has nothing to do with dropping out of school. It has more to do with God and about my destiny more than anything else.

But I have been sketching non-stop. That's one thing I wont stop doing. There is much scanning to do. Hopefully, all my new sketches will be inspiring. Also, I'm still kinda broke, lol... But hey, "All things work out for good to those who love God, who are called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28 KJV).

Now, expect a MASSIVE sketch post from me within this month.

Peace y'all!= Love is the answer.
    ----

P.S- Here are some templates I made to increase your draftsmanship. Use them at your own discretion. The head-cubes one is not mine. Also, feel free to modify them. However it helps.

That's all. Good day!

_________

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo andre im liking the templates, you should give me the files! pass it on son. Lets fukking chill!how about extra life?

-Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About time you updated and showed us what you did with the cubes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up I'M BACK

Hi Everyone! I'm Back finally.

I'm still in a financial mess, with an inconsistent job, and I haven't used my digital tablet in about half a year lol. BUT... I have this really UN-quenching passion for art. I have much plans for myself career-wise though.

Finally, I've got a new all-in-one scanner and I've got loads of sketches to post!! (I'm going to post one whole sketchbook I just finished too, but I need a different scanner for that one).

The next post will be my 3 months of sketching and improvements. (I've been focusing on nothing but line and space principles).

Also, I looked back at my process through these 5 pages, and it took me 2 years. I failed in my goal to triple my skills this year, but I've improved so much since day 1.

All I need to do is better my time-management, and re-discover a more "real" purpose for using my visual skills.

More talk later. Next post is ART!
    Peace~
    -----

Black Spot- Hey BlackSpot, I'll be posting all my template exercises soon. that's part of my organizing issue I'm working on. I have to be more efficient with posting as well as designing. But it's on the way, I promise...

_________

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy HERE IT IS!

YAY SKETCHES!!

Hello,

this is what I've been doing for the past 5 months. Like I said, I went back to basic basic basic stuff.
    I really want to lose the habit of "uncertainty" and "lack-of-creativity" when I'm making artwork, and draw with CONVICTION. The best way to do that is to get the art principles "embedded" in your system before trying anything fancy. I think we've all been working backwards in that regard. Trying fancy and cool-looking stuff first. But really, we should go and PERFECT the basics first! make them 2nd nature to us.

With that said, someone might say, "so Andre, with all these scribbles, where's the quality stuff?"

-the answer to that is that this is just a Sketchbook- (emphasis on loose and unfinished work).
    -The second answer is that I have personal things to sort out to figure out what art really means to me, and what I want to do with it.

I say all that because, I can no doubt make finished pieces, but something is missing, which only I can solve as the artist. (Something I know, and yet I don't know fully).

I realize, I can totally waist my whole day sketching imaginative things, or even copying from life itself- but it all doesn't matter if they look nice. Ultimately if there's no deep meaning behind the art, that time of my life was fruit-less. This is the deep battle right now my friend.

Until I figure out my purpose in art. (I wont quit), but I will continue honing up my skills, (which means more rough and loose work) and if it suits my purpose, I will do more finished works that I expect to last and impact people. But for now, it's all sketches, practice studies, gestures. (Maybe I'm aiming for something beyond me, i dunno lol)

I'll explain my reasoning to anyone who asks.

I hope I'm helping any beginners (or even pro's) with examples of my processes. My goal from now on is to learn as much so I can teach as much, and even more.

It's not that I'm being harsh, it's only that I want to establish the vision, and use this for the greater good. Because I want it to be more than just a hobby for me... I want it to be reflective, inspiring, and a means of making a living. In my eyes, that's a win-win situation for myself and those who view my work.
    ---

There's a lot more where these sketches came from, and I will post them later.

Have a nice day everyone of you!

_________

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mega update. Last few pages are looking exceptionally good.

Don't forget to look in front of you as well because sometimes we miss what we're looking for when it was staring us in the face all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Mega update. Last few pages are looking exceptionally good.

Don't forget to look in front of you as well because sometimes we miss what we're looking for when it was staring us in the face all the time.
    Ha, ha Blackspot I most certainly agree with that!

Hey Andre great to see what you've been up to and I'm glad your still drawing away whilst you find your purpose. Sometimes at stages like this it is just important to keep going knowing that as we get older our true directions and purpose become clear to us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, study junkie !! thats probably what I should probably be doing. Anyways, keep it up you've already improved !!

Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Black Spot-Thanks Black-Spot! I love mega-updates. This one is also a mega update lol. I know what you mean about looking in front of me. Yes, but still, there's more for me in this, I just don't know how to GRASP it yet. But, I'll get it. Tired of looking at it, u know... patience??

Marian Rowling
    Sometimes at stages like this it is just important to keep going knowing that as we get older our true directions and purpose become clear to us.
    Thanks Marian, well said.

vayne108-Thanks for checkin out my stuff. Feel free to come back anytime. I'll return the favor...
    ----

Hello ConceptArt!

I believe my purpose is getting clearer now. I'm going to focus on designing.

It's actually the name of a book I was looking at, as I was thinking to myself "why do I keep sketching and not getting paid?" The book, it was right in front of me. It's called "Focus on Designing (McGrawHill/ Ryerson). Haven't actually read it yet, lol.

I was considering all of art history, and where I could possibly fit in, what will all this mean when I'm gone... (those kind of thoughts, u know). So anyway, the book title says "focus on designing", and I think I might do just that.

I believe I'm being led into Graphic Design. I wanted that art path when I was in high-school, but animation caught my attention for bout 4 years now. (I'm not the greatest animator), and I would prefer to freelance. Sooo, I think I would do good in graphic design with my wild creativity. Just gotta think of a revised career path now... hmm... any thoughts?
    ---

ANYWAY... I've decided that this sketchbook's purpose is to simply keep y'all inspired, (If I have that favor with anyone here). which means, many more sketches and design ideas to come everyone! I'll keep improving! and I Hope I can improve you all as you all improve me as well!!

I need to start business cards, studying more about computer-aided graphics, reading design philosophies, watching pro's create, and developing my interpersonal skills!

NEXT POST IS ART! thanks for the talk!

:peace:

_________

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, how r you doing? its been a long time

One huge piece of update, ill say that. Its great that you spend some time doodling, i think it helps you lot. it helped me a lot when i was struggling with drawing heads. However don't forget to do some detailed pieces once in a while. It will help you to realize how much you have grasped out of your learning.

Anyways no big comments from me for now, Just keep some updates coming and ill be happy to drop in to check em out, for an old friend.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up ART!

Here some more sketches I promised everyone!

I am unto re-working those templates I posted earlier, but when I print them out and use them, I'll show you all what I use them for... until next time!

:peace:

_________

32. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man, it took me a good few minutes to scroll down this page =) I liked the torso/cube studies, I think those are really solid works imho. For your eyes keep drawing all over a sphere to understand it, and really suck it back into the skull, like you did on a few studies I noticed. Cool man, good luck with the next wave of studies! =)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12