A very important open letter to ConceptArt.Org and all artists around the world.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: A very important open letter to ConceptArt.Org and all artists around the world.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,571 Times in 2,180 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A very important open letter to ConceptArt.Org and all artists around the world.

To everyone who enjoys this site, learns here, and has helped CA be what it is today.

I am humbly coming to all the members and supporters of CA. This is a time of importance in the art community as we begin to move to the future of opportunity and education for everyone here. I am going to share more of what we are doing must ask..would you please read on to the end and contemplate what is happening. I will start with comments on where we have been, for those who are new, and where we are going too.

In March of 2002, I announced CA as a place I was making for artists to get together and truly learn together. In those days there was nowhere to really learn art online at all and I was absolutely stuck in my attempts to grow as an artist. I designed the site, and the plans for how everything, including the culture, would work and went on a quest around the industry to gather up the artists I most wanted to learn with and who I believed in. In April 2002 I spent the weekend with my true friend Johan Pontemonti Broberg designing, and creating this site. I had never made a website before and had to get books to figure it out.

We went live with a humble little gallery and forums which gathered together a small group of artists who were also wishing to have a safe place to learn, including El Coro, Android Jones, Sparth, Bengal, and others. Andrew's 1000 person self portrait quest began as a way to keep the ideas going on that day. The vibrant sketchbook forums took off as El Coro began uploading images to the boards. Our first admin Davi Blight came in and carried the ban hammer which would keep the culture here from being over run by trolls and problems every other site online faced and his persistent im's to fix things or change things or make the place better were always helpful to keep things going. A frustrated young artist with a family and a dead end job named MindCandyMan joined us back then and asked for help. He was stuck. He was melancholy and wanted to be an artist. From Jonathan MindCandyMan we all learned that no matter how noobie an artist is, they can be destined for success if they just buckle down and keep at it no matter what. Years later MindCandy cares for his family, his soul, and his students with his art he began right here.

Many people had early effects on me and this site and there are too many to name but I love you all. Years later hundreds of thousands of people have been impacted in a positive way. Lives have been changed and my own life took a sense of purpose and creative beauty that I never anticipated.

Over the years, industry icons like Marko Djurdjevic of Marvel, James Hawkins of Epic and tons of others got their start after being discovered here. Where would Gears of War be without Hawkprey's vision? I watched like a proud brother as the much of the crew that now dominates at ArenaNet grew up around here. Entertainment has changed for the better because we built what we set out to make. Digital painting has been legitimized as a media for art, which was not the case when we began. Representational drawing and painting is now something artists expect to do, rather than struggle to find bits and pieces of information about. Careers have been made by the thousands. Relationships have grown, marriages formed, and babies born because we all gathered to share, learn, and participate here. Years back, I even fell in love on these boards. Without CA there would be no Massive Black, no ADAPT, No CGCon, No Gnomon Live, and all the other things which came from ideas created right here, in this community. I look at how this community has changed the world and realize that we have an opportunity to become so much more, and know that is going to happen naturally. It is our fate here. I am thankful.

Since we began we have had more than 50 million visitors to this site, which was created with a meager fifty bucks from my savings. It was not the money that built it..but heart and soul from all the 180,000 registered members who have joined in that quest to have such a place. We created culture from the ground up. When the site had thousands of guys and so few women we turned the keys to the place over to the ladies and watched as they not only won "last man standing" but ran their own contests, voluntarily created a calendar to help pay the bandwidth, and did a great job with all the activities. In many ways the root of what we created is exactly the same then, as it is today.

First and foremost, we began here with a mindset to create opportunity and to free the grammar of art for those who could not afford the massive price of tuition at the art schools. I had seen so many artists that did not realize how many were really out there just like themselves. When we created the workshops we found the taste for how many there might actually be. Personally, the idea that I was a strange person, different from the world, was erased that day.

Along the way, changes happened to the digital and traditional art community that I glow to think about. Look at art history. Has there ever been a time where artists have had such success in creating from imagination? Ever? The answer is no. The face of the movement we share here is revealed in that thought. Believe it. We are, as a whole, as a community of artists, seeing something that has never been achieved in the thousands of years since men and women began expressing themselves visually. We are but only beginning...and just wish to keep on this path.

I ask of you, to consider what CA has done for your life, your art, your career, your personal relationships and friends you have met, and any impact you have felt because of the hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours put in by all our fantastic mods, admins, leaders, and teachers. I ask because we genuinely need support, now, more than ever, to complete our quest that will take us all forward for the coming decade of opportunity and change.

I can say, for me, that it has given me a sense of purpose, a place in this universe, a shred of dignity and integrity as I was unbending against companies trying to take advantage of artists here, those attempting to make changes in copyright law, and more. I was tasked with saving this community back in April when piracy had brought us to the brink of closure. I was faced with a pile of server bills, hardware costs, and looming debt because of the torrenting of the videos which were created as a way for artists here, including you, to have a way to not just learn, but to teach, support yourself and help this community. I had spent the previous 18 months trying to convince people here to not harm an effort that was volunteer run and keeping this place free. After so many failed tries to stop it, I was forced to implement an anti-piracy program designed by my brother and I to locate those who were doing so. We had a job to do, and we did it, unhappily.

It was a dark time for me and this site. For the first time ever, I thought I might have to give it all up. For a guy who began his art path as an orphan with no money and built his life struggling to find nuggets of art information, and later from within this community, that was a terrifying thought. All my closest people are here, as is the place my visions of possibility start. I watched as 15000+ volunteer hours of my own and hundreds of thousands of the ca community were at the point of disappearing from art history if the plug was pulled. I had to try. I was not willing to fail. I believed in what we were doing, and when members told me I could never stop it and should just give it away, it made me even more determined. Then, what I had spent all those months researching and creating to put a stop to the piracy, was a success. We tracked down the top 300 offenders and began banning those who worked against our efforts to offer the lowest priced art education on the planet.

Four days later, we became the first video producer to stop piracy and protect the rights of the artists who created that content. We knew that artists here would be in an uproar if someone stole a painting. It did not make sense to us that a fraction of those same artists thought it would be ok to do that to videos of that art. We were literally fighting for rights of artists to be independent and successful, aside from our efforts just to save the community. We were losing 3500 uploads every day, for every video we created. I watched as Marko Djurdjevic and Jason Chan saw over a million downloads on their first videos. When the torrenting of new content stopped, my heart lifted. I thought everything we worked for was going to end.

My research into streaming content led to my plans to create the live streaming education presentations which so many have seen. And that led to what is going to become a major force in art education and with luck, will put a stop to private art schools who sell their students a dream at the price of indentured servitude and parents mortgages, in exchange for a quarter of the information needed to actually make it as an artist. Without the stopping of piracy here, our biggest mission would never have began. To anyone who had uploaded videos and stopped, and to those who decided against doing so, we owe you a thanks. Lives changed for the better because of that. Artists entire careers and the things we share here will see success, in part, because we fought tooth and nail and protected that artwork.

In a few short days we are going to be announcing The Art Department, a 30 month online and real world art education program with branches in San Francisco, Kansas City, Richmond VA, and Austin TX. We are taking the big art schools head on with a program run by leaders in the fields of Concept Art, Representational Painting and Illustration. The illustration faculty have more awards from the Society of Illustrators than all other art schools combined. The Fine Art faculty are represented by the best galleries in the world, and the Concept dept. is run by faculty behind the biggest movies, games, toys, comics, and entertainment in the world.

We do this for a reason--a very personal reason. The private art schools have, for years, taken grants, loans, and time from students around the world as they enriched themselves to the point of shame, and at the expense of art history. Going to art school has become a right for the rich, here in the United States and other locations around the world. These institutions have been taking in combined profits in the billions of dollars and an estimated 80 percent of their students fail to succeed as promised. In San Francisco, we watch and read with disappointment as a high net-worth family runs and takes funds for the largest land grab in the history of that city by buying and then leasing properties to that school, which is then rented from tuition coming from public grants, student loans, and the life savings of it's students families. Public funds and personal savings flow into those coffers and the students get far less than they pay for and teachers are taken advantage of. This is but one example but all the private art schools averaging 120,000 USD for four years (tuition only), are on the path of institutional greed. These schools work to keep their faculty down with embarrassingly low salaries, enrich their corporate directors, and grow like cancer on the always developing art history, choking off the flow of information to creatives, who for the most part, are usually poor and would otherwise be learning earlier.

I was told when I was 22, by one of the more selfish people I have ever met, that I did not deserve to go to art school because I could not afford it. Nowadays, I wonder where I would have been if I had access to information on art..to the grammar of art..from an early age. CA began as a place for that to happen openly, so we could all get better, build creative lives, and make our dreams real. Artists took it into their own hands, to have such a place. But without the huge funds of the schools, we had to figure out ways to make it all work. We created the workshops, the atelier, the online education programs and gave scholarships. The workshops saw every penny of it's proceeds put toward learning. The Atelier, run by one of my oldest friends Carl Dobsky, won the award as the top digital painting school worldwide The downloads and streaming content have provided information which could not be had in any art school and were given out for the price of a hot date or big dinner. The days of artists not deserving to learn because they cannot afford it are over. The years of the over-priced, dream promising, under-delivering art schools having a monopoly on visual language and thus causing a massive negative impact on art history are finished. I mean, I have to seriously wonder where artists would be and where art history would be, if the language of art was within reach from a young age for the past decades, instead of being horded like spoils only to be shared by the privileged.

This June we are opening the Art Department. In Jan we will begin our scholarship program and admissions. We open with this moment of foundations with heart and integrity by beginning the granting of one million dollars in art scholarships. We are offering the full program for about a 25 percent of the cost of the art institutions and are paying the faculty salaries deserved for changing the lives of their students, are offering a host of no interest and fractional percentage financial aid options. We have a youth program in the works and being presented to high schools which will better prepare artists grow from an early age. Ever wonder where you would be if you got all the best information this community has to offer from the ninth grade on? We do, and with the help of a group of the worlds greatest talents, led by a man I consider to be a true genius in education, this is now real. We have much to share and the announcement will come soon.

As we move forward into the new year, we are releasing the next iteration of conceptart.org as a new domain which we call The Art Mobs. We have been building the single most comprehensive artist social network, gallery system, profiles, promotional and self-marketing tools, career services, and communication tools which exist in any one place for artists to share. These tools are to be FREE to use for anyone here, viewers, lurkers, or full on members who wish to reach their chosen world of art. ConceptArt.Org will retain it's soul and the forums will be as they are, but with expansions for all other artists, who need the room to grow in their respective fields. The new mobs like Fine Art Mob or Sketch Mob will be cared for by the leading artists in those areas. The current traffic of millions will grow, enabling more opportunity.

One of those opportunities, which I have not announced, is a program which will enable artists here in the community to support themselves in a variety of ways, regardless of their having jobs or bosses or people telling them what to paint. This includes a development section where we will be creating content which will be pushed out into the world of entertainment, prints, and more. We are no longer looking to just have a place which is supported by the community. The Art Mobs will be a place where talented and ready artists can see this community support themselves regardless of the economy in their local area. We are going to pull out all the stops over this coming year. The life's work of those who have volunteered here, helped here, given time, is going to pay off with more opportunity and exposure. Artists need a place to learn, find other talent like themselves, build relationships, create companies and careers, and push their work out into the world at a push of a button. All of this adds up to the bigger vision that I have designed over the years, and thanks to the recent additions to the Board of Directors here, and to the efforts of all those who help, we are finally going to see the dreams realized.

Another issue I have been trying to solve these past two years is my deep feeling that the artists here have the power to change the world and not just make it feel entertained. Many of the greatest artists of all time had the ability to impact social change. This past summer I began working with a charity organization called Project Hope, which is run by the gentleman who was the first western witness to the Darfur Genocides and his wife, an old friend, Andi Skull, whom Andrew Jones had introduced me to. One of the things they do is teach the poor in Africa to create screen prints on shirts and posters and other items. Shephard Fairey is also assisting them, as are artists like Common and Dave Matthews. The group brings art to be used to generate awareness over extremely important causes like the slave mines and child labor mines in the Congo where they mine a good percentage of the tin and other raw materials that end up in the computers and cel phones you are using right now. The artists make art, the people make shirts, the stars wear the art on the shirts, money is raised, and they grow the charity and raise awareness. Amazing. Power amongst the creatives. With that in mind I began putting together a yearly contest as a way for the artists here to create work which was related to causes that they are a part of. If we want to be taken as a serious art movement when history looks back, we must be responsible to history and not just be a forgotten place in it.

All of this comes at a price for the founders and Board of CA who make sure the bills get paid, and the efforts continue even though they have jobs, lives, and their own works to pursue cannot do it alone. The reality is that the price of running a community which sees more traffic than all but 9-15k websites on the internet is steeper than we ever imagined when we began. We transfer five terabytes of data each month, have anti piracy measures to pay for which keep us from financial failure, and staff to support who do things like fix broken code, design technology and add all the new software. The cost of running this community is about the price of a new corvette every single month now. With that being said, you should probably know that I don't even own a car. My vehicle is right here. It doesn't get me around town but it does get all of us around the world with ease...this is where my investment has gone all these years and I am proud of that. CA has been my baby, and has thousands of surrogate parents taking care of it too.

Well, our baby is about to grow up and go off to college in order to support itself without help from home and so I must ask, humbly, on bended knee, if you would please support the site over these next months, starting with the streaming classes, especially this next one with Mark English and those that follow. This class will prove the interest this community has to support bringing in the biggest artists in the world to help us, not just from the industry. Please. It is of note, that Jon Foster's was wonderful today and is On Demand if you need some inspiration and ideas on improving too.

Until then, exactly like public radio or television we require support of the viewers and listeners to move on. Without we have to stop..to delay our mission, and our struggle to succeed could be hindered. Truly. We have pushed to reach for greatness by bringing in artists we consider heroes to teach live in the streaming classes. This Wednesday Dec. 2 we are honored with the words and mind of one of the greatest illustrators in history and he joins us to teach live. This is but a sample of what is to come and if we can see the support of the artists wishing to learn and improve we can continue to bring such talent to you and everyone here. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175763 is a worthy click.

My own personal desire to help artists and my ability to learn started the movement but it is all happening because so many of you..so many of US have put fuel in the engines and planted the seeds of creativity which we all share on the journey. For this, I thank you all deeply.

We are as always, a self funded community. The coming programs will, as we have hoped for years, bring CA off the support from home and move it out on it's own.

Godspeed and heart felt thanks. May the inspiration which drives us on, bring even more than we dream today, and have wished for since that very first weekend we went online. My life would not feel of value without all the time helping to see opportunity and learning shared, and I know that others here feel the same. Together we have made the world a better place. For that, I love you all.

Jason Manley

P.S. If you cannot spare more than words, I hope that you might take a moment to say how CA has made an impact on your life, your work or your career. For me it has meant my world. Love, learning, hope, happiness, and confidence. It has given me my business, my dreams, my travels, my world. I owe much to CA and am working hard to always repay what gifts it has shared with me. With that said, thank you for reading and all that you do.

Name:  4.0-is-coming2u.jpg
Views: 9268
Size:  508.9 KB

Name:  4.0-is-coming2ufromCA.jpg
Views: 9040
Size:  696.2 KB

Name:  artmob.jpg
Views: 8732
Size:  194.4 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; December 6th, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 326 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

-Zer0-, Aardvarkphil, Aenhimal, aerefly, AG., aguilas990, Ahnem Mee, Alcolix, algenpfleger, ALH, AlstonInk, alti, Angel Intheuk, Anid Maro, Antebellum, Anthis, AphexTweak, applecheeks, archMage, Ariel9, Arish, Armonah, Arshes Nei, Artofinca, ArtZealot, arvinsim, AsaB, Asatira, avipinto, B u r l, B-Man, bartdeco, Bartie, Benjaminba, BettyHime, bhanu, biglu, bjornmes, BlackRogueDreams, Bliz, boredomsketch, botho81, BRANDONJONES, BranFlakes, breistift, BRINKMAN!, Cacodaemonia, Call0ps, carnalizer, CastorFiber, CCorsair, cdejong, CecelyV, central, character, Chauncey Pierce, cl0aked, cmalidore, codyevansdesign, comixnut, corspufo, Craig D, Crass, Craz, Crush, CruShTinbOX, Cryptcrawler, Cthogua, daestwen, Dan Bird, Daniel Andrews, Danielus, Danny_K, Darkmoon, DefiledVisions, Demo, DI888, DigitalShade, digital_zombie, Dilated, Dile_, dinodog_Jr, Dirty C, Divine Oblivion, Dizon, dkounios, dogfood, domo arigato, dorian, Dorkthrone, drd, Dusty, EccoXile, Eclypse, Eerin, effenndee, egerie, Elam, Electrictypewriter, Enydimon, ErikStorstein, Evergrey, Fallen11, Farvus, Fipse, Fitzin, Flakari Leader, Formal, Freddy Scribbles, fusspot, Giorge, goldilockz, Grendel Grack, GrimRabbit, GriNGo, Grooveholmes, Gygaxis, Hanuka, Harkins, Hexokinase, himlayan, Hive_minD, Hughie, hummel1dane, humza, HunterKiller_, Huraxdax, Ian Barker, Ian Miles, IanE, ikken, IKV Nexis, Ilaekae, Imaginary, Imaginary Friend, imnotanoob, instinct, Intervain, Irishdrunk, J Wilson, Jamie Romoser, JanDegler, Jason Rainville, Jason Snair, Jasonwclark, Jaytea, Jazz, jcpahl, Jen Wardell, Jephyr X, jeremygordon89, jim ww, Johan Lindroos, jonbronx, jordyskateboardy, Jorge Gecov, jpacer, Juhani Jokinen, kab, Kamikazebob, KarylGilbertson, kelly x, KennethHunter, kischi, Kittehness, Klockmeyka, Klydezilla, kMh, kody, Krato, kRaven, LeBUG, Leonor, Leysan, Liam Harvey, Lightship69, Lionsword, LiQuidFire, lkjhgfdsa, LORD M, Loserbrain, Lucesazules, LuckyDevil, LuisNCT, Lyle Moore, lyon, Maestro Andres, Maidith, Makk, Malavon Despana, Marlee., meth, matt cauton, maxetormer, megadubitably, Mike Frank, Mikko K, Miles_, MiniGoth, mir, Molly, Momus, Morphidae, morphine, Mungus, MUNIZ, NanoBlack, NathanLong, Nerahla, Nezumi Works, Nibras, NicG, NickTrip, nickydraws, nikhil p, Ninjac, no87, Noah Bradley, Nrx, ntgrrl_13, Nubb, Oblio, OHI, OldJake666, OmenSpirits, oren90, Overtow, P, Parka81, Patch, PHATandy, phoric, PieMonster, Pierce9, Pigeonkill, Pilgrim1099, Poison, polydrawer, Psychotime, quickreaver, Maledict, Raffix, Raoul Duke, rattus, realitychek, RedWarrior, revenebo, Roboko, rossipoo, ryan mcshane, Ryuartyi, S.C. Watson, Sady, SalOnimaruRem, SamC, Samuel L, schowalye, Sentinel., Sepulverture, Serpian, sestan, seth1, shamandalie, ShroudStar, ShulChi, Sickbrush, Sidharth Chaturvedi, SirGreenSock, Skrunchey, Slothboy3000, SMILEFACE, Smyk Vitaliy, sodAp, Sorknes, SM, Spirit, SpookSquad, Stark, StefanA, stoph, Storm Serenade, Studio Colrouphobia, SuckahPunch, Sundance, Swampdigger, t i m, TASmith, Telefunker, The-Mentat, The7Artist7, TheComicFilmBoy, theechoinside, thenatsan, the_jos, Thunder Mullet, toastertoaster, tobbA, Too Many Captains..., Trashy, Turbosnail, T_Marasà, UnidColor, Verannis, Verithin, vicsio, Victor B, VirusArtist, Vladimir Gasai, white beard, Whitevillage, Windmaker, Windsrock, Wollstonecraft, Wooly ESS, Writerof, Xaya, Xhar, X_rogue_X, Yautja892, yinteck, yoitisi, zeitgeist, zenichi, zimfin, ~KJK~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    geez Jason, if you're a bit strapped these days all you have to do is ask,
    (sound of fumbling for change)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the most, if not the most, heart-felt, inspirational, thought-provoking essays that I have read.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Werd!
    I have been around here since a graffitti artist friend of mine pointed your site out in 2004.
    From lurking with my new wacom to posting art as often as I could this site has been a major part of my artistic social life since then and I am proud to be a member of this site.
    My goal is to post more art than posts and hopefully become a member of a studio (rather than just freelance) - but (hopefully) a studio of worthiness such as MassiveBlack.
    B/C - as by this very site it has shown and chosen to support the artistic community of the world and as such it will surely inherit many of the most talented artists of tomorrow as a reward.
    Or some such! ;P WOOT!

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all. I don't take enough time to share what we are doing here and why we are doing it. There is no way we could have so many people volunteering so many hours every year if it was not from a real place. This is something I believe in more than anything in the world. It is of my life's work and yes..I need help. I don't like asking...it is a very humbling experience to do so. But sometimes I have to face the fact that I cannot do it all alone.

I am editing in another paragraph about what we are doing on the social responsibility side and am prepping some goodies about 4.0. Update soon.

J

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oye i'll donate to CA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have only been here about a year, but in that year I have experienced by the far the greatest artistic growth of my life. Before finding this site I knew I wanted to draw for a living, but I questioned in the back of my mind whether I had what it took. This site rocked my world; it was the inspirational and educational boost that I needed to overcome my doubt. I'm still a long, long way from achieving my goals, but now they are tangible and in sight. I only regret that I am not able to help more than my finances allow me. I hope that people here will rise to the occasion and give back to this incredible community.

Thanks for your efforts Jason... without your work and the work of others in the community, I almost certainly would have fallen into mediocrity. This site has literally been a life saver!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't agree more.

Give ya a ride around Austin if you need it, Jason.

Amazing post... shame it wasn't broadcast across the world on television. Truly moving and deserved and absolutely right on every point.

The truth is, I too came here looking for answers that wouldn't cost me between $25,000 - $49,000 a year. The answers I've found in PEOPLE, in CA, in the sketchbooks, tutorials, conversations and workshops have taught me much much more than I had ever been exposed to in school. There wasn't any art at my highschool, and art programs at local universities here are trash. Though my journey is in architecture... the world of drawing, proportion, craft, understanding, and the visual travel and exposure to so many different people working differently has been priceless to my education as an architect. Without these allied disciplines, this kind of engaged culture and dialogue found on CA, I am certain I wouldn't be nearly as successful as I am... which is quite, extremely, successful thus far. The world lacks the opportunities found here, the chances to meet and interact with not only people exactly like you, but people entirely different than you, with every view, approach, understanding, and skill of art imaginable. There is no school at all with such an international reach, no school with such a familiarity and culture already rich and thriving, no school with so many active minds - professional and new - working together.

I couldn't say thanks nearly as much as it's deserved to the whole of the community.

We're with you, Jason.

Looking forward to the changes and progress.

Last edited by IanE; December 6th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even though I haven't been on this site for very long, the impact it's had on my art has been immense. As the impressionable young high school student that I was, I wandered into this site with many questions. Questions left unanswered by colleges at portfolio day.
    I set out on conceptart because I felt that they were only telling me a half truth. They looked at me as if art school was "the only way" to become succesful. I set out looking for other options, and through this site I was able to find so many wonderful teachers, one whose workshops I've attended and have changed my life. This site has given me courage, and told me that if I just keep working hard, I can achieve the many, many goals I have already set for myself.

I can't wait to hear more about your highschool program. I am a currently a junior, and I just wish this had been in place when I first started H.S. Anyways, thank you so much for this wonderful site. I can only hope to be as successful as you someday.

I am also wishing for some of the downloads for christmas... who knows yet what the family will say, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fell into this site in September 2006, quite late in comparison to so many people. I came here through a journal or two on Deviantart that basically told me/us who read it the difference between posting images and posting and learning about art.
    Whereas Deviantart was a spot to display anything one created- conceptart was a spot where one displayed ones best effort in art and then got help evolving it to something on/in its own.

I have never regretted coming here. I was already doing random commissions for private persons and my wife was giving me the support to continue with art, but without CA I doubt she would have put up with much more, since I was crap back then.
    With the aid of the people on here, either through comments on my work; or simply by looking through their sketchbooks and WiP-threads for inspiration *(Hurricane's sketchbook is legendary for inspiring someone to practice, for instance, whereas Android's finally finished threads are inspiring for imagining new ways to create, CHOW, COW and EOW where instrumental in learning how to think for freelancework- taking directions et al...) , I have come a long ways and still evolving.

I have catching up to do, but it is far less because of the support CA as a community and location goes gives to someone like me- a person that live for and breathe art.

The fine line between cash spent on food and cash spent on CA-material has been crossed several times and even though it always been crossed with my children kept safe and sound, I wish I could have afforded more. Sometimes you just have to survive today to be able to evolve tomorrow, but when I DO get to pay for (or sometimes for free access, because CA has done this also on occasion, not to forget) educational material from this place it always inspire me and drive me further along the way- continuously mkaking it easier for me to get to the point I want to be at: to support myself off of art.

This past year I went from freelancing mostly for smaller companies and mainly individuals, to supporting myself off of larger companies and less individual commissions from private persons.
    I would never have gotten this far without CA.

When the Artmobs start, I will be there and hope that I once can contribute something back.
    When the Artdepartment start I will be there, trying my very best (and then some) to get the grant I need to join and learn more (that way I _will_ be able to contribute back later, this is a fact, not a wish- learning through the artdepartment will make me a great artist, not just because I have faith in my own abilities but also because of the knowledge I have on how much CA already has helped me so far and how much it will be with this schooling).

so there.. CA done to me all that, and I'm hoping to spend many more years learning the arts through whatever you throw at me/us in the future.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admit that I've been on here very sparingly, for many reasons which i don't need to go into...until this past year when i reached out to my local underground community in san francisco, met all the artists here and allowed the massive inspiration to let my art and my perceptions of my art and my self rise up from where i had been left jaded before this. all that reaching out lead me back to here, to pick up things that i had tossed aside after i graduated school, because i now had a goal and a dream to strive towards and so i have to surround myself with artists and be inspired and motivated all the time, and practice a lot.

in the past couple of months that i have been back on here regularly, what ive seen has blown my mind away. what you are doing is so fucking beautiful. i bought one streaming class and one video and learned more from those few hours then weeks and weeks of expensive classes at the academy. today i was offered a possibility to apply for a grant, to impact people with art, and the idea i came up with is of people planting seeds in other people's heads and watering them, plants growing out, and those people planting seeds in other people, and on and on and on....like a ripple effect. this idea came to me only a couple hours before i read your statement. when i read it i nearly cried.

i live in san francisco. please allow me to help in any way that i can with the future school there. i work a crap job that pays like no money, but i can offer work, modelling, whatever you may need that i might be able to do. i want to help and be a part of this. i believe in the art revolution

Last edited by thespirals; December 6th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thespirals View Post
    i bought one streaming class and one video and learned more from those few hours then weeks and weeks of expensive classes at the academy.
    This is so true... my school is often as much of a hindrance as it is a help... I learn so much more on the weekend doing my own studies than I do during the week in school. It's infuriating at times. I can't wait for The Art Department announcement... I don't know if I will be able to afford it (I afford my current school due to government aid and scholarships), but if I find a way I will drop my current school in a split second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, CA has connected me to some of the most endearing and lovable people I know when it comes to art. I have seen so many people grow and do outstanding things in my 4 short years. I myself have developed a new sense and love from art that was lost as I grew up. As you say Jason, being exposed early to this kind of knowledge and artwork is monumental and is a needed, no, deserved tool when one is interested in art. Had I had this system growing up, as I'm sure others will testify to, we would be somewhere else.

I may not be the top poster on CA (thanks to the IRC chatroom room and many emails sent to great artists), or the best artists on the site (always fun being scrutinized and told exactly where to fix your errors), but I am one of the more, albeit more silent, fans and diehards of CA. I tell everyone who I run into in the military about CA.org and what kind of artwork and talent they have here. I plug the many major achievements that the top artists who visit here frequently have accomplished. It all pushes CA.org into the open and brings people who just "scribble/doodle" in their free time to a place where they can see that if they have the passion and drive, they can do amazing works as well.

I have my own current situation here financially that prevents me from donating and supporting CA.org as much as I would like to, but I'll still be a vocal proponent of this fine establishment for as long and as hard as I can. To show my gratitude and devotion to this wonderful site, tonight I will be uploading my very first Massive Black Cock tattoo. I'm not doing it for the attention (partly), I'm doing it to show people who you are and what you all have done. It won't be openly seen by the public, but those who do will ask and they will learn. Hopefully they will spread the word and this site will continue to flourish.

I wish you a many good luck and congratulations on all your endeavors and hope that CA.org never leaves. I'll be around, critiquing and observing from the shadows like many others here. I hope, when my finances are more stable to be able to contribute more to CA and to improve my own current standing in the art community. Ideas are nothing if you do not have the means to execute them yourself and show the world. As artists we have the duty to provide social change and promote awareness of the things that we hold dear. I hope to be apart of that one day.

Brandon Warner aka Stark

EDIT: The drastic change in skin color is from lack of sun. And I just got it, so once it heals, I'll upload another picture.

Last edited by Stark; December 9th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't be an artist were it not for CA.org.

And I think a lot of people can say the same thing with complete sincerity.

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ConceptArt.org has become the biggest source of inspiration and learning in one place that I have ever known. It has made me a more devoted art student, it has showed me what is possible and gives me real hope that if I work hard I can get where I want to be. It's thanks to this place that I realized what I truly wanted to do and it's obviously my favorite site on the web.

Thank you Jason and everyone else who's made this site what it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I for one have learned a great deal about art and about myself through this little forum. I wish it great success in the coming years, so that others may grow as I have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA is about 100% responsible getting me seriously into art, and my life is 1,000 times better than it would otherwise have been because of it. So I owe a major debt of thanks to Mr. Manley and to everyone involved with this place.

Damn. I'm going to go buy all the downloads I've been meaning to get right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am only just really realizing how important CA is for me as someone who is getting serious about studying art. CA taught me a lot already. One point being that all artists start somewhere.

One cheesy line we all hear a lot is "You can do anything if you really try". This place helped me understand why people say that a lot. It's completely true. If you have a goal that makes sense to you, sooner or later you'll achieve it. That's what I believe, thanks to artists from this community.

I'll do what I can to donate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA opened my eyes for a whole new art world that i didnt knew at the time. Also made the long and slow process of learning much more exiciting. From beginners to professional artists, they supported me & helped me improving my art. To Support the fellow artist is definitely what CA is all about!

Last edited by Call0ps; December 6th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Back in 06 I met a guy from rockstar games and asked how I get into character design, he said "first thing you want to do is go to a website called conceptart.org" and I was immediately exposed art far greater than I had ever imagined. This site has opened my eyes and my imagination. Now I'm drawing at a level I wouldn't have imagined possible back then.

Not only do I learn from this humble forum, but I get to point budding artists in the right direction and others do the same for me. If it wasn't for I'd still be using filters excessively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if it wasnt for conceptart i'd believe that talent was the ruling factor of success, i wouldnt have anything that i have now

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since images speak more than words:

the result of 3 years of vitamine CA.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 8395
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  hyskoa.jpg
Views: 8454
Size:  95.6 KB

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4.0 features are coming along well. I figured I should show you one of the reasons I am asking for support, though the educational programs are top of my list too. Backend is nearing final. Servers are updated and in place. We gotta finish the final feature sets (and these shown are just the surface). Can't do it without investment unless we can get support on the streaming courses and downloads in a big push.

This could be an amazing new years for us all...gotta try! If I could do it all myself I would. I really would.

Everyone who buys downloads, or joins the streaming classes will have their usernames added to the Patron of the Arts page, and will be getting a special profile icon award too.

Hope you like the update...THE GREY IS TEMP, as we are still in production. Beautification comes as we wrap up.

Looking forward to the kick-off!! Thank you all for the kind words.

JM

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *getting embarrassingly emotional*

This site, ConceptArt.org, has given me the motivation and courage to choose what I WANT to continue doing for the rest of my life, rather than just do what my family otherwise wanted me to do. It also got me out of a tough time, when i decided that art didn't get me anywhere anyway, and what was the point of it all, when I could just follow the crowd?

I owe this community so much, and as soon as I get some plastic, I'm gunna repay this debt in at least a monetary way.

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude... those profiles look great! You've got dA's friend system, twitter's follow system, easily manageable gallery categories, easy access to other social networks, you've even got you've got facebook's statuses... You weren't kidding when you said you were making of mix of all the best! I cannot wait for 4.0 to launch.

I like the idea of showing how CA has helped us progress... here is one year ago, before I began to frequent the CA forums:

Here is a drawing done in April, a week or two before I bought my very first CA download (Chan quick sketch!):

And here is one year after first using CA forums and one summer after getting downloads:

Even though I still have an incredibly long journey ahead of me, I feel like I truly would have been doomed to mediocrity without this site, but now I have a chance!

ps, that carrot picture was a late night! normally i'm pretty chipper!

Last edited by Ian Barker; December 6th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I remember when i started with digital painting in 2006(yes i know it is maybe a bit to late but here in Serbia we had some very difficult times) i didn't know shit about it.
    Then i found out about CA and it turn my world upside down. Within 3 years i learned allot of great stuff, meet many good people and so on.
    I would like to give something back to CA, but i need help from you Jason to explain me some things
    Sine here in Belgrade we don't have paypal, and i don't have any credit card, so i can only go with wire transfer. Can you redirect me, give me link or something?
    I just want to make donation to this community as much as i can at this moment.

Thanks in advance

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys really are an inspiration, I honestly don't know what I would be doing now if it wasn't for this site and the community that you've built. Through this site I have been introduced to artists, industries and friends that I would never have found otherwise and it has given me goals and direction again. So for this, and everything else you've done to help me and everyone else, I thank you.
    I just downloaded a 3 hour lecture/tutorial video on composition that I have no doubt will be invaluable. I paid about 20 pounds for this video. I am thousands of pounds in debt for university, and composition was not addressed.
    I have been, and will continue to gladly give you all the money I can spare for your incredible videos and tutorials. Jon Foster and Mark English are next on my list. So once again, I thank you.

THANK YOU

34. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I found this site when I was randomly googling after concept art (best search in my life). Clicked it and thought it looked intresting, I saw all the big names here and all the amazing art so I wasn't sure if I could join since I'm not an artist, but I hoped it was ok and I took the chanse, really glad I did.

Conceptart.org have changed my life in the way I see art and how I want to progress, before I wasn't anything near sure if I had what it took. I have also had the privelegie of having a great friend that have helped me grow artisticly and spiritually. So CA and my friend are some changing factors in my life and I wouldn't had been anywhere near where I am now if it wasn't for those two factors.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was one lovely inspiring essay! It made me feel warm inside. Ca has meant a lot to me. Without it I wouldn't have been half the artist I'm now. I would still be drawing pretty unfocused lame ass big nose comic pages. It has brought clearance in my life and helped me sit my goals. I live way more focused now and clearly now what I path I wanna take. I'm so thankfull for everything the forum has brought me and can definaly say that it has become part of my life. A day without CA is a day not lived (lol well not really but very close). I've made so much new friends and learned so much. Thank you for all that and can't wait on all the good stuff that's coming our way. The art programs sound super neat as well. Am now in my exam year of high school and only could have wished i had an art program allready in my high school. I'm super stoked about it. GO CA! And thanks for that lovely essay Jason as well a huge thanks to everyone who helped build this place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I joined this summer and in one month I had learned all the basics that I was never taught in school or that was taught in private classes that I couldn't afford. And I learned this through all the people here commenting and critiquing.

I spent what little money I had on some of the downloads here and within a few days I was churning out works that I never thought I could make.

I built a network of friends of all ages and skills who eventually became like brothers to me and we all worked hard to grow together. I would never have been so motivated without them.

I still have a lot to learn but within just the few months of summer--I learned everything I should have learned years ago, and now have a sense of direction for learning more and progressing further.

Thanks, CA!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4