A very important open letter to ConceptArt.Org and all artists around the world. - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    I first joined CA earlier this year after graduating from college; the most discouraging 3 years of my life. I went in to school with more enthusiasm and passion than I left with. I was told I could draw but drawing itself was just an empty display of skill. To them, I lacked a fundamental talent and that was the talent to be conceptual and to appeal to the wealthy patrons of the arts. I had made a resolve to just quit art. I was not an artist when I joined CA and I only did so because it was a part of me that I didn't want to entirely forget.
    I agree with you. I originally went to art school more than 10 years ago with such enthusiasm knowing I was going to learn new things after transferring from community college and free from having to learn the mathematics courses that were required which I ultimately hated. But the last couple of years at art school was very difficult because of my ADHD (undiagnosed and undetected at the time) and one of my late parents passed on. It really ruined it for me. I was quite angry and unable to figure out why I was unable to focus, not because of the fact I'm deaf. I enjoyed some of the drawing classes especially life drawing. And some of the courses I took did'nt make sense nor had any relation to the Illustration major, making me wonder what the school's administration was smoking.

But I do also agree that going to a private art school can tend to wreck finances if we're not careful and at the time, the school had a different mission statement and one of the best in the country and ironically, was a bit behind the industrial curve and trend.

Now ten years later, I know why and hope the school gets its act together to do a better job of teaching Illustration in the particular department. And I'm still in debt to the Dept. of Education for the loans which I did'nt intend to use originally but my sister had to, the week after my late parent passed on and right before the 2nd semester kicked in on my first year. That was how badly rushed it was because my other late parent was'nt in the right frame of mind to assist me in Financial Aid which was dropped :/.

I love my art school but sometimes looking back makes me really want to kick their a$$ and show them how it's really done.

EDIT: by the way, ten years ago the Illustration professors thought that using Photoshop on projects digitally was considered 'cheating' if using dodge/burn, paint brushes, etc. TEN years ago. Ironically, I knew that digital illustration was going to get bigger and become the standard norm, besides traditional. That's how sad it is if they saw it that way back then.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Inspiration. That's what CA has given me. To have a library full of artist of all types and levels is incredible helpful not only for inspiration, but also to get tips, and other resources around the web, CA is a great network of information.

So, thanks CA for showing me what is possible and showing me where to aim as an artist.

PS: Do you mind a little critique?, if you could be able to do traning at the level as Gnomon training videos, you would be super incredibly amazing, not just super great as you are.
    ps2: to clarify a little bit, I only bought the downloadable videos, I have no experience with the other kind of tuition you offer.

Keep up the awesome work.

Last edited by Christian223; December 7th, 2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: ps2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Jason!

Jason-

Thank you for this wonderful post!

I want to reply to drd's comments about SCAD and his parents concerns. SCAD like all of the other Art and Design Colleges is not in the business of producing practitioners of art, they are in the business of educating educators/teachers of art. If they were in the business of educating practitioners they would all be out of business! All of the Art and Design Colleges have horrific success in producing makers of art because they have very little connection to the industry. If they had a connection to the industry this site (ca.org) would not exist, the institutions would all have their own communities promoting careers and continuing education.

To compare the instructors at SCAD to the future Art Department instructors is not a fair comparison for either party. I will only use the Illustration portion of the AD as a comparison. To start, you can combine all of the faculty in all of the Art and Design Colleges in the country and not come close to the amount of awards and accolade that the faculty in our future Illustration program has received! These awards are from the industry (Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts, American Illustration, etc...) not from academic organizations. Our Illustration department's faculty will be made up of some of the best working illustrators and painters working today, some considered living legends. To give you idea of how good our faculty members are, most of our faculty are used as example and studied in other Illustration departments around the world!

The question you have to ask yourself is; do you want to teach or do you want a career as an artist? There is a huge difference from one who makes their living from what they produce as art and someone who teaches art for an institution. I am not saying one is better than the other, but they are very different careers. I have worked with and have huge respect for good teachers at Art and Design Colleges, although they are few and far between.

It all comes down to this: If you want to teach go to SCAD, if you want a career as an artist come to the Art Department! The Art Department will not offer you the degree you need to teach, but it will give you a much better opportunity to pursue a career as an artist.

John English

Last edited by John English; December 7th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John English For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr.Manley wrote
    The Grey is temporary

I quite like the grey actually.

Also, some of my bigger heroes on CA have written their stories on how CA changed THEIR artistic lives- and it's pretty much the same as for me or any other "newcomer" to the site. Which is refreshing and inspiring on a whole different level- Imagine your hero telling you that you inhabit the very space that brought them to the greatness you aspire to reach yourself.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope.

Haven't had it for a while. I don't really post much here, but some of the things I see and read, the tutorials, and the DRIVE of fellow artists, the opportunity, and the sheer potential of everyone on this site ... yeah. Hope for a future doing what I love and not chained to a desk working on someone else's dream 24/7. I come here and the world lights up a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started my career here at Concept Art years ago. I was absolutely terrible, but the hard critic made me a better artist. It was a long and hard process. Tons of headaches, long nights, coffee and Icy Hot on my wrist. I really drew until my hand hurt. I wanted to create a good impression at CA.

My art school wasn't that good, but the drive and talent on this site really helped me a lot. As self taught artist (remember the bad school thing?) this site gave me what I needed to improve my skills and get to be the artist I am today. I was even discovered professionally during a Concept Art workshop! Insomnia was the name, I think. It was one of the greatest experiences ever. I just can't wait to go to my next one.

I still can't believe I'm doing art for Warhammer 40,000, D&D and franchises like that. Years ago it was just impossible. My career really started because of what I learned in CA and the discovery at the workshop.

Jason and Co. I'm really happy for what has happened with this site and your careers. I wish you the best of luck in your present and future endeavors.

THIS SITE AND YOUR VISION SINCERELY CHANGED MY LIFE! THANKS!

Damn, I wish I could buy you a coffee or a beer right now... see'ya.

Looking for commisions or full time job big time!
    + My website: http://www.hectorplanet.com
    + Linkedin Contact

Say NO! to SPEC WORK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No, thank you, Jason and all of CA

Dec. 24th, 2004, I gave myself a little Christmas present and joined CA. I had been lurking for most of that year but decided I wanted to be involved. Lately I haven't been around as much but the CA link is still on my desk top and I pop in from time to time.

I am mainly a writer but I have been drawing all my life. Like it was yesterday I can remember my fifth grade teacher snatching up my paper I was drawing on, instead of doing my class work, and crinkling it into a ball and tossing it into the trash. Only I was too crafty and got it back when teach wasn't looking. Always, every time.

I learned a lot here and truely have great affection for this community. CA is an honest, compasionate, and respectful place to share you art, your heart, and soul. Time after time I've seen people with bearly the nerve to make thier first post of some very sketchy art, only to improve with the support they get here to become very respectful artists.

And CA doesn't abide fakers and stuck up attatudes either.

Case in point: and

Ah, good times.

The early part of this year was good, but the nations woes have caught up to me and now I have trouble keeping the lights on, and the computer running, and the internet connected, and the water flowing and the... sorry, I digress.

But if plans come together, and they usually do, I will make it through Christmas, and this year I think I'll give a little back to CA. It might be just a spare $20. But it will be something, and surely not enough compared to what CA has given me.

Thanks ever so much.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it hard to put into words my feelings towards CA, I'm not sure it's entirely possible without writing a small novel. I've been a lurker for years, with no motivation beyond curiosity and an enjoyment of the art. I remained a lurker when suddenly my interest became all encompassing... and I only recently overcame my trepidation to create an account.

To put it simply, I find CA one of the simultaneously most intimidating and inspiring places on the 'net. And better than most off it. The beauty displayed here, the extent and complexity of the information available are incredible. Leading to awe and wonder at what might be achieved, and also absolute terror at if you can equal it. I've never been afraid of anything as much as I am of art... but it draws me on regardless.

About a year ago, after struggling with the direction of my life, I decided to dedicate it to art. Having no knowledge, or experience and a sketchbook that had over years only accumulated a handful of sketches. CA was part of what helped me form that decision, that it showed anything was possible. I've spent a few hundred dollars since then on the materials here... plan to spend more tonight, it's been the better investment over almost all else in this journey. Even when I'm in the debate between having only crackers and cheese for meals, I still think it's worth it. And sometimes putting in when you have nothing is just that important. I feel CA; what you, Jason, and your crew pursue is that important.

And that it extends beyond the education and community here is... well, I grew up in Africa, during a civil war. It means a lot. I hope that art can help shape the world, it's part of why I pursue it as well.

So, yeah, thanks for all your work and my best wishes. Be well.

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA have always been giving the motivation to improve. I lurked here for months before i got the courage to post my stuff. I realized that there are many people who have improved tremendously in their sketchbooks.

I have also met with awesome people through CA. Without it, i would probably still be afraid to talk to people.

Thank you!

(I didn't realize there is a donate button there. -_- I'll donate a little now! )

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been an avid CA lurker for years. This site has been such a great help in terms of both motivation and inspiration. The stories from other artists here made me think that maybe I can make it too, and I'm still following that small ray of hope today.

Pardon this little trip down my personal life. This year, my mother passed away from breast cancer. Things have been devastating emotionally, and not been good financially. I cut away ties IRL and online and sunk into depression. I also began to doubt myself and the direction I'd originally chosen. I am nowhere near the skill level I would have liked to be in at my current age, and the relentless passage of time makes me think I never would be. The stress of bills and the little voice in my head telling me I'm just fooling myself have been constant companions. It's hard to argue with that voice when all I have to show for myself are substandard painting skills.

Jason's words struck a chord in me -- I am still not sure if creating art is the practical thing right now, or if it's what I'm meant to do for the rest of my life, but it is certainly my prevailing passion. Given the opportunity, I would very much want to make it my life. I'm one among many eagerly awaiting the upcoming 30 month art education program with the hopes that I'll be able to afford it. As of now, I'll try and contribute what I can to this great site. I am sorry it won't be much, but it is all I can afford. For this month, I have put in an order for Marko's DVD. I'll be saving up a portion of my income in the upcoming months to contribute in what way I can.

Thank you to all of you who have made, maintained, and contributed to this site and kept it going. I'm not a prominent presence here, but I am very grateful that it exists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To the many men and women of this community...

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm touched with your words Jason. I give you so many thanks for everything that CA has given me. I've been a member since '04 and continue to be active to this day trying to put art work up and helping others. CA got me my first job with Ritual Entertainment and I can't help to think how everyone here helped me get to those open doors. From learning to sketching on my own, it's been rewarding. Riva Digital from Dubai, UAE. saw my art work posted right here in this site...from half across the world, someone wanted me to do some art work for them. I am humbly thankful for what CA has done so much for me and love how everything started for CA, me and everyone else on here.

Thank you so much CA, Jason and everyone on here who has made it possible for everybody else ^_^.

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello boys and girls.

i am not that really in CA itself, but i love CA.org.
    i love this site so very much that i keep linking it to friends, outstanding art
    can be found here.

this very site helped me to make my 3d-graffities look better, more plastic.
    a bit humble way of telling you, that i learned alot about lights here
    looking forward to learn even more since i decided to get more involved.

thank you very much!!
    keep it up!

cheers,

http://streetfiles.org/5711

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too, like so many others here have had their life changed for the better by being apart of this community. I've only been active here I think about a year and my art is 10x better because of it. Within that year I went from a being a senior in a highly prestigous school that taught me almost nothing that I needed to know to make it as an artist, now I'm working on my first gaming contract, that's a dream come true for me.

I can honestly say that if I was never here on this site, I would still be making crap drawings and probably never would have made a dime off of it. Everything about this site is amazing. I love that it is full of professionals and beginners and everyone is welcome and everyone is encuraged. When I first came here I posted my portfolio in the WIP section to get honest feedback and ...wow I got it...it wasn't pretty but it sure was honest, it was a real kick in the butt that I needed and no one up until that point had been honest with me about my work, not even my teachers. The site and the people here are an amazing resource.

The first set of pictures is from before I joined the site and the 2nd set is now. Anyway, just wanted to say thank you and we all appriciate what this site has done.

Attached Images Attached Images    

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've only joined recently and I don't know what my next few months, maybe years on CA. org will have in store for me. But first, a little history:

I've loved drawing since I was little. You know, the usual story - doodled instead of paying attention in class, drawing for friends and whatnot. I wanted to grow up and be a successful artist. Being heavily influenced by the Japanese cartooning industry (read:anime/manga), I of course started to draw in a similar heavily stylized manner. No one taught me that it's harmful to my art as a whole, so I kept doing it.

About 4 years ago I discovered deviantART. I thought it would be a great place to share and learn, but time and time again I have been proven wrong, especially on the learning part. I either get a generic "well done!" comment or get nothing at all, and most of those comments tend to be on fan art, or technically subpar work that simply appeals to the userbase because of subject matter or color choice. The few critiques I've gotten helped me, but I didn't feel it was enough.

Somewhere in those 4 years I went to college to study graphic design, stumbled across CA.org, and I'm not exaggerating here - I was too terrified to even join because I feel that I could not (and probably still can't) compete with the level of work I saw.

Somewhere in my mind little voices piped up: "Hey, didn't you want to do awesome stuff like this?" "Ha-ha, forget it, your animu and mango crap won't fly. You know they're all about ~realism~ and if you can't draw real people, no one will give a shit about you".

I listened to the former. And now, here I am, doing more studies of my own volition and learning more in 4 weeks than 4 years of college.

I think I'll stay, for better or for worse, though I'd like to believe it's not for worse.

Oh, and I think I'll convince my equally terrified friend to join too, heh heh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My join date to this comunity was early 2004, exactly February 12th, 2004. It has been 6 years viewing a lot of works and many people growing. Many of this people have seen his dreams came true.

I have been recolleting a lot of works since back then. This is a pic of my folder.

Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just been following CA from time to time but it's given me a lot of inspiration and it seems like you've put a LOT of effort into this project so I really hope it work out nicely with the new Mob site. I hope I will someday have the time to improve my drawing skills and if I do I will surely go to CA or the Mob for help

Thanks to you and the amazing cloud of talented people in this place!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very inspiration read there Jason, will have a think about it all.

ps New Sceenshots look awesome! Hope to catch up for a chat sometime soon.

Tom Greenway
    3DTotal.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA GAVE me a greater sense of driection in my life. I came across this site early september last year and began lurking. I had developed an interest in art during my highschool years but I held no belive that I could even do art I held no skill or talent in it.

CA SHOWED me what it takes, what anything takes to be great at anything. It opened up my world to a whole new world of art I had never even seen before. Comeing out of highschool I had no idea people actually made a liveing off art in so many different ways.

CA EMPOWERED ME. I belive in my self now =) CA touched me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I originally joined college wanting to draw landscapes, and moody scenes. I had no idea there were actual jobs for people who liked to do that.

I'm so glad my brother introduced me to CA.org, otherwise, I would have never heard of people like Andrew Jones or Nox. It was because of CA.org that enabled MindCandyMan to inspire millions of people including myself, and now I get to learn from the man himself, along with the MB crew and my peers. What a goldmine!

Between ClassicalArtOnline and ConceptArt.org, my art has improved noticeably.

Name:  YayCa1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  YayCa2.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  151.1 KB

Thanks to MindCandyMan and Jason, two people who have inspired me the most, and thank you to all the teachers, your video tutorials, and encouragement. I'm really looking forward to the next year's worth of studies and progression!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I also wanna say I really like the Art Mobs name. Make it sound like we're here to shake some shit up... which we are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to give my thanks for all the founders of CA that enable such a wonderful site to exists in this world, to inspire, to motivate, to teach, to push all of us artists to reach the level of mastery and expression that we, at the end of the journey, feel we have lived the breath of our lives. I probably will not get serious with drawing without this site. I am still far from the level I am satisfied with but having seen so many positive examples here, i know I will reach it someday.

The new site looks awesome and i am sure it will be a wonderful reincarnation of the current site.

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're a hero, Jason.

Had I known better to join back in 2002 my life would be so different now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CA was and is AWESOME

I dunno what to say really.

CA.org was LITERALLY the turning point.
    I got into drawing shortly before joining in 2004, just over 5 years ago. And i know that i wouldnt be doing illustration at University right now, aiming to be a concept artist, without it. CA was what changed my perception of what i could do with my life, i could always draw, but doing concept art - full time. Thats something i could get behind.

5 Years of CA. I remember reading MindCandyMans sketchbook daily. Mightily impressed at his Day by Day, constant progression. I remember when Bengal used to post here ( Jason i love that picture, with 'We Miss you Bengal' in the bottom, ITS TRUE) please come back bengal! I remember Hawkpreys Epic threads (no pun intended). I remember when the MB guys all had constant sketchbooks (damn you being so busy!!!). I remember being on IRC, chatting with artists i used to think were on another planet. The worst of CA thread (i still think Manky's Insect battle wins) or the recently AMAZING DivineNibru thread.
    So many more memories. Android, Marko, Coro, Bengal, Cos, Jason actually posting art, Sammy. All the pros back when they werent, like Hurricane and Davi, bumskee.

After a year or so of absence. I think its about time i came back. Thanks Jason, thanks CA. Id donate if i wasnt a poor student paying for the very educations you speak of (its not nearly as bad in the UK though, some might say quite reasonable in comparison).

This got me looking through all my old work from the 2004 days.
    This still surprises me, but still makes me smile.
    5-6 years of CA - Thanks.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason:
    I've been following this site for years and the bulk of what I learned has been form others here (this was before you offered the video tuts/downloads). I consider myself maybe a good 7 miles along my digital art journey so I've got a ways to go. With whats being offered at CA is invaluable.

You'll always have my support via with getting downloads or class workshops when I can. I'm looking forward to the future. Thank you to all of the people who make this site possible.

Chauncey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Dear Mr. Jason Manley

I truly hope you will take the time to read through this, as i hope it will remind you why this is all worth it.

I'm writing to you from Romania, a country you have visited back in the day..

This is a country that was scarred deeply by tens of years of communist dictatorship. You were told when to wake up, when to go to sleep, you were told what and how much to eat, and most painful of all, what to know. The years of censorship had this country's people blind and deaf. Everything was filtered, cigarettes and blue jeans were smuggled in from the U.S. because they were "luxuries" not available to your average guy.

This country has been hungry and thirsty for Freedom and Information.

Even though i am only 23 and haven't fully lived those times, deep inside i still feel that hunger. It's in my blood, in our blood and it's not going away.

When i first reached this forum, i was shocked. The amount of information was virtually limitless and since then it has grown immensely. Jesus, i remember one of the first sketchbooks i saw was Hurricane's, while he was just starting out.. Needless to say where this journey has taken him as we all know about his wonderful wife Fooxoo, his super-son and his amazing art.

Deep down inside, I know i wouldn't be doing what i am without you guys.. I have managed an art forum in my country and I know what it takes. I know all about the countless nights of managing users, moving hundreds of threads, organizing, cleaning, deleting trolls, meetings, organizing events and all. It takes a huge effort from all the team to keep this baby running.

We share the same story more or less, mr. Jason. Night jobs, school, work, poverty, they've been with me too. But now we both know that all those tears and fists of broken anger and hope have not been in vain. Thousands others share this story and they will emerge through their art! To all you out there facing troubles and poverty, do not give up! Do not abandon your dreams! Your art will survive! CA.org will survive!

I am shamed and greatly sorry to say that I still cannot support this community.. Other than helping out fellow artists with advice, I have no powers. I still have a few more steps to climb and when I do reach that level at which I can help this community and make a difference, I truly hope I will not be too late.. So all you who can help right now, please do so. Your couple of bucks are worth millions to others.

Humbled by this self-proclaimed honor, i speak on behalf of my country and say Thank you Jason for not giving up on your dreams, thank you for your struggle and thank you CA.org for being what you are.

These men, this website along with all of us will mark a page in the history of art. Be on that page!

Thank you,
    Chris

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sickbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a 3d artist and have always participated in communities related to what I do more often than conceptart.org - until the Dan Dos Santos dvd came out that is. Since then I have been visiting this forum constantly and getting inspired by all the activities going on here every day. I've bought almost all the downloads from the your store and I can't but join in the live streaming classes you guys organize becasue they're just a priceless source of knowledge and inspiration!
    I'm definitely going to continue supporting this community as much as I can and I hope I'll finally find courage to start posting some of my poor 2d efforts to learn more. You guys have inspired me to persue 2d more seriously these past few months. Thanks for that and keep rocking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been gone for years now, but I keep stopping by. I owe a lot to CA.org for constantly kicking me in the ass when I let my art slide.

Happy to both buy the videos and support CA.org!

Thanks for everything you've done and you're doing, Jason!

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a child of ConceptArt. I design each of my days and my nights - i am grateful for the friends and the vision and i hope i can share that with you all.
    Thank you.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

m@.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be forever greatful for finding CA. I've gained so much knowledge, went to DAllas workshop and purchased on-line tutorials and live streams. I only wish this was around before I went to art school and still paying off the f'n education I don't feel was up to date. Sorry got some personal feeling there.

Thanks J.Man and CA crew, I'll do as I can to financially back the cause..Keep on truckin!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4