A very important open letter to ConceptArt.Org and all artists around the world. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I will try to donate if I do have something.
    yeah this place has made me what I am today, my first few posts here were so depressing ,I was going through a really bad phase of my life, flunking my high school twice and nearly giving it all up for a mediocre life ahead. I got some very heartwarming and encouraging advice then, it was pretty simple actually(the advice), I was just told to keep at it and believe in myself and things I love and facing the shit of life head on. I started an sb here, I didnt suck altogether at drawing but sucked with the basics, so I got even more advice on those matters, everybody here stressed on working really hard on the weaknesses. I remember before coming here, I used to try to avoid drawing hands, so I used to put the hands of my character in pockets , behind somestuff,holding things. Here I realised that doing something like that wouldnt help me grow, and now hands are the most fascinating part of studying for me and I do think I can draw hands comfortably. I also had this misplaced belief that the cool artists here are cool cuz they have worked for years(they are much older) and have computer and digital stuff and also that I was awesomely good for my age so I could just take it all easy, then I came across DanielC , Rodrigo and Orozco, shit did they shake my world, they just werent good, firstly they didnt do digital, just leads in their hands, were 5 star artists, and guess what, they were as old as Me. Learning from them made me competitive and humble , I didnt take my talent and hard word cheaply from then on.
    And I also got to learn to paint in watercolors by Solon( I do miss his works these days so bad). And the constant encouragement I got by my friends from early on, put me back up when I was broken down, I cant thank my friends enough, cant repay the debt , but I do know i love you guys .
    This place feels like home, I am a bit down these days becuase I am finding out that my type of art isnt exactly in place here, but I see the change taking place too, guys like steve kim, Kev ferrara , chris bennett are awesome and personal heroes for me, and the guest artists like george pratt, sterling hundley and jon foster,keep an eye on out for this place. So that makes me really hopeful for the future. I am home-bird and I am thinking of staying home and working for the rest of my life and yes I will try to help with the house chores more too.
    Take care and I love you all,
    Bhanu

EDIT- how I landed here??? hmm I happened to click a link by aleksi bricklot at spawn comics forums, and he was the first artist whose work I saw here along with Cos. Just seeing those guys made sure that I wouldnt ever leave this place, this place was my haven. Still is.

Last edited by bhanu; December 6th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beautifully written, Jason.

Last Wednesday marked my 2 year anniversary on this site. I can firmly say that these were 2 years well spent! I've improved rapidly with the help of some amazing friends I've made here, and been exposed to gorgeous art on the way. Since I'm not studying art, CA has been my art sanctuary and a place of wisdom.

Before I joined, I only had a dA account, but I was mainly doing the occasional fanart back then. I didn't know anything about terms like values, brush economy, line quality, colour temperature and such until I came here, let alone applying it! So my direction in art made a big u-turn upon my arrival here.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new upgrade and you can except a video being bought from me very soon. Thank you ConceptArt!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason,

I remember chatting with you at my house before the Revelations workshop in Seattle. I didn't tell you then, but this site saved my artist life.

I graduated from the Art Institute of Seattle with a degree that couldn't get me a job and after pounding my head against the wall looking for work and for Artistic learning I gave up. I decided to just pull the 9-5 job and scribble when I got a chance... but then someone told me about Conceptart.org. I started as a lurker but then started to participate and learn. I think you said it best when you mentioned how this community taught you that you weren't alone. At AIS I met only a few who I thought got it and really had that love of art. At this site I learned there was thousands out there who got it.

I went to the San Francisco workshop by myself and knowing no one. It was the first time that I had ever done that and I was blown away. I met some cool people and got energized to do art again. I oil painting with Whitaker and ended up taking a car ride and talking with Brian Haberlin (it's true that you never know who you are sitting next to at a CA workshop) and learning a bit about comics.

I am still not working in the field but I also have not given up and comtinue to stay inspired by this community. Even if I just spend some time flipping through sketchbooks I can always count on something inspiring me on these pages. Now with the streaming classes I can really get a chance to learn and keep my education going. I know that I will make it and this site will help me to get there!

Going back to the conversation with you, I remember you talking about the changes that were coming and hearing the excitment in your words. It's great to see that those times have come and I am honored to be a part of this community and to help to keep it going. Beyond money if there is anything else you need to help out I'd be glad to lend a hand.

David

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was one of the thousands who stumbled on CA through sheer dumb luck, after losing my job, homelessness, and depression, the world of knowledge, beauty and humility on this site has taught me that anyone can rebuild their life no matter what.

I hope this place becomes an even better community and beacon of hope for people who have none, are below the poverty line, and want a chance to do what they've dreamed of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would be happy to donate. I haven't much to spare but it is more than justified considering all I have taken from the site.
    Thanks Jason!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought you might like to hear from someone on the other side of the great divide.

I'm a writer rather than an artist - oh, I draw a little, but I make my living with words - and I originally came here just to look at the pretty pictures, as I have always been a fan of illustration. But because of CA, I have now become a fan of illustrators as well. I have watched with great emotion these past few years as new kids have come in with big dreams and little learning, and through diligent study and practice and the advice and downloads of the board elders, have honed their natural talent and begun to produce fantastic work. But I haven't just enjoyed looking at the pictures and watching the progress of others. I have benefited personally from CA, and I'd like to tell you about it.

Two years ago I discovered the beautiful work of Nonie, one of the regulars here, and thought that her style would be perfect for a trilogy of books I was going to be writing for my publisher, so I PMed her and asked her if I could tell my publisher's art director about her. She said yes, and after a year of nudging my bosses, Nonie got the job to do the covers.

Now, this may sound like me bragging about how I got Nonie a job, and maybe it is, a little. But my art director is no push-over. Nonie got the job because she's good, and she got the opportunity, not because of me, but because she had a place to show her work where someone like me could see it. CA helped Nonie get exposure, and it helped me get the best cover paintings I could have hoped for. For that I owe this place more than I can repay.

Jason, if you ever need any writing done - ad copy, fiction or threatening letters - or your grammar checked, let me know.

Words are what I can give.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason...

We've talked many times about the impact that ConceptArt.org has had on my freelance career... many jobs have come my way because of this site but more than that, knowledge, respect, inspiration and an amazing sense of community.

I think, more than anything Conceptart.org has given all of us a sense of place, a safe haven to come in and share our explorations, failings and triumphs. The spirit of learning and accomplishment that permeates every aspect of this site is inspiration incarnate and for that stance we all have to be grateful.

I will continue to support CA.org through my visits, occasional training video or streaming class purchase and, happily, through the job boards from which I will be looking to hire some people for a project very soon.

I for one would be MORE than happy to pay a membership fee Jason. For a while I paid $29.00 or so a year at another site and while I don't do that anymore I would be more than happy to start up the practice here with CA.org 4.0.

You say there are 180,000 members... why not charge $10.00 a year? That's $1.8M which should probably take any financial worries off of your plate... hell, even $5.00 a year may do that. I'm sure having a stable form of revenue would be an easier base to plan from rather than the, potentially, moving target of streaming/downloadable classes.

Either way... we all owe it to you, the CA.org team and the community itself to keep this place going and see it grow.

Kudos to you Jason for your vision, your ability to motivate others to help you foster it and to the team and community you've built who help to support it every day.

Ken

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Verithin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to thank you Jason. You're the Man.
    I started seriously to draw since june 2006. Without CA and you guys, i never had been able to motivate myself. CA brings me happiness, hope, and motivation.
    And the fact is, i learned a little bit english on this forum (a little i said , since my english is still so bad XD ).
    I tried to support CA and bought as much videos and streaming as my bank account could handle. Now i'm poor but i'm thankfull!

So a big thanks again for all the work put in the community, and especially for you Mr Manley. You rock dude.
    (I can't wait for CA v4.0!)

Cheers.
    Pit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ca.org and especially the workshop in SF I came to in '05 have changed my life.
    It has kept me going when I felt down and inspired & fresh when I felt dull.

Everybody can learn & grow and this here is a phenomenal environment to do just that. Can't wait to see what's comin!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been here since 2002, but more actively in the past 3 years. I first found about the site when there was a gallery placeholder instead of the forums. I'm pretty thankful about the fact that CA helped me find my true passion for art/design, and make it a pursuable path for my life. Friendwise, well I have got to chance to meet valuable people in South America, specially in my home country & in Argentina, so I'm grateful for that as well. & thousans upon thousands of hours of inspiration in every section of the forums, is just priceless. I still have lots to learn and study, but I'm committed to make it happen.

A propose a toast - to the biggest art family in the world!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll keep it simple, but you guys have nothing but my heartfelt thanks (and whatever dollars I can give for your absolutely awesome tutorials).

CA.org has been hope in a sea of mediocrity and I am one of many who owe a lot for what is truly a magical community.

My Sketchbook - Please Crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since before I could remember I have been devoted to art in what ever form it presented itself in. I have always strived to define myself and the world through my art and always left lacking and alone with no light to guide me in the correct direction. I grew up about as poor as one could before becoming homeless and the conditions haven’t changed much for me honestly and therefore, it has always been difficult for me to obtain the proper guidance needed to achieve the desired goal that I have always intended for myself. To be a artist has always been my first and foremost dream and one I am in no way living but, I you can still catch me with a pencil over in the corner bringing to life the creations of my mind.

This community has brought me more understanding, inspiration, guidance, and most of all hope that I have always longed for. This is the one place I come to daily just to uplift my spirit. For all of this I give my extreme appreciation to you Jason and all of you who have help bring the very breath and soul into this place and make this possible.

I came in search of guidance and found so much more. I found reason, soul, love, determination, honesty, and most of all family.

Thank you so very much again,
    Kenneth M Hickman

• Kenny •
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jason, many years ago, when i was younger, little did i know that my life would be so inspired by a site that would be created by the badass portrait artist of ICEWIND DALE.

i was pretty lost and just bumming around doing my law degree which i had no interest in, until one day a friend linked me here. seeing all the mind-blowing art, mindcandyman, algenpfleger, bumskee, and countless other artists improve TONS from diligent study and just plain hardwork just really really re-inspired my love of art again in me.. and i really cannot thank you enough. without this site i don't know what i would have been doing instead right now...

i will definitely contribute back to this site that has taught me so much.

thank you again jason manley!

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reading that make me choke up with nostalgia and sentiment, that was so inspiring!! I don't know what I'd do without CA.org and the people I've met here and the insights I've learned.

I wish I could attend the Art Department!! But I'm excited like a kid at christmas for the unveiling of the new website and community. Bravo Jason, for all your hard work, love, dedication and patience - this place is a haven thank you so much, you're so truly inspiring!!

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AC is the best Web, this Web and all his members are the ones that they do that he want to keep on working and drawing .
    One of my dreams is to arrive someday to be in the principal page XD

Thanks Jason and to wholes for inspiring!!

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,599 Times in 2,206 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    me too...me too...me too...me too...me tooooooo

speaking of nostalgia:

first are some goodies for what ca might have looked like about four years ago...which we never got budget to do.

second is self explanatory. Trying to find a pic of the place I made ca...will see.

Enjoy,

jm

Attached Images Attached Images    
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

19. The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An art community constant...

Well, I've been a member of CA.org since back in July of 2002 and I can honestly say that over the years this community has been a consistent source of inspiration, support, and an example of just plain old hard work! The amount of talent and drive that is represented on this site has always been staggering to me. I'm not able to frequent the boards as much as I'd like, but there's a good reason for that! I'm busy with my full-time job as an illustrator! CA.org was a part of my development and therefore had a hand in me getting that job, and I'm grateful for it.

And not just for me! If you'll indulge me for just a second I have to give a shout out for my brother, Jon (MindCandyMan). I'm proud of him and the artistic force he's become! He also is a constant source of encouragement for me and this site made his journey possible, and continues to be a part of it. Okay...family commercial over.

This whole thing just started with a bunch of guys that wanted to share and educate those of us who were searching and I thank all of you! Jason, Andrew, Foster, the list could go on and on. I am extremely appreciative of your input and kind words over the years and look forward to what I know will be a bright future!

-Dan

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Smeagol71 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jason. As a kid in high school I had no direction, no focus, and too many interests. It was because of a friend that I joined CA. Though my contributions have been small in respect to other members I have always been thankful for having CA in my life.
    I remember attending one of the first workshops in Austin in 2004 and that truly changed my life. Meeting such greats as Marko and Coro and being able to witness great artists in the process it was amazing and inspiring. It helped me realize my passion and helped me set a goal. The road has been a long one, with my creative direction veering off into many areas beside drawing and painting but I have never lost that goal.
    I cannot wait until the new version of CA to come around, let alone the great developments such as the Art Dept. and Art Mob. I look forward to it and will do what I can to help support your great efforts, and the efforts of those who strive to keep CA what it is and make it even better.

I thank you Jason, and the rest of the staff and supporters of CA. You all have truly changed my life and direction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ca has simply changed my life in so many ways I couldn’t imaged what life would be like if I didn’t find it back in 2006. At that time I was stuck in a crap art school teaching myself and being lost trying to find information to the many questions I had. I would have never thought that finding a forum would do so much for my art and for me as a person. Through CA I’ve found one of my best friends, I’ve ever had. I moved my entire life around twice for my art and for what I’ve gain from this forum. Ca has given me much happiness, knowledge and friendships since I’ve been here. When I first found Ca the Insomnia Workshop was just happening and watching that trailer really showed me what MB and CA was all about. That was really the starting point for me to really be apart of this community. Pretty much from then on I would show anyone who would listen about CA and what it offered. Just this year I’ve shared it to students from the school I was attending and helped to start a local sketch group. The group of us attended the Reverie Workshop earlier this year and it was simply life changing. I surely took Jason’s advice to heart about finding friends that want to stay home and do art. I would be happy to donate some more for the benefit of this community since it has done so much for me. I’ve learned more in the one Color Theory class then my entire art school experience.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found the site a few years ago, but for some reason I thought it was an invitation only site (probably because there were so many talented and professional artists). I came back not too long ago and realized, "wait I can JOIN this thing?" Being on this site has shown me, through other artist's efforts, what dedication is and what's really necessary to improve. I feel like I'm on the right track now because of the site.

Thanks!

Last edited by NickTrip; December 11th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA make a diference in my life, opened a world that i couldnt knew if wasnt for CA, where i live art is almost dead, all the artists here are part of my learning, we are all one, we learn from comments, watching other people works and sketchbooks, critiques, etc.
    CA, pushed me far, far away, this last year was one of my best, im still learning, and have to learn a lot, im only 20, but im working freelance now, and learning every day, this is the best community, with classic, and digital, mixed all in one word, ART.
    I want to thank you, all the people that started this, and all the people who participates in this site, theres lots of young people in this site learning and travelling to become great artists, and im glad to be in that journey too.

Thanks to all.

Salvador Trakal, Argentina.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason!

Is there a way to donate what we can through Paypal or something to CA.org? I'm trying to make it on my own in the freelance artist biz and I'm lucky if I make $500/mo. I'd love to give a few dollars here and there, but as of now, I don't see a way to other than the downloadable contest and streaming classes.

Thanks for all you've done for CA!
    Sincerely,
    Char

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I have to say that its really good to hear the voice of CA/MB. CA has become an icon for the entertainment industry and its nice to see that its still human.
    I have been inspired by this site for a number of years. This place has been somewhat of an oasis for my mind. And at times a place to shake loose my illusions. Thank you thank you thank you. I haven't any money to donate but if I were in San Francisco fighting the good fight with y'all.
    Keep on truckin!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smells like time to buy another video!!! How'd you know I was thinking about it?

4.0 looks awesome, ek bara mala aw yeah aw yeah. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspiring Jason,

I found myself nodding several times while reading the opening post, it's a beautiful vision the one you describe and seeing it take form is exciting even by watching it from the sides.
    Three days from now it'll be exactly one year since I posted my first drawing, I'm not that big on posting but the things I've learned in the past 362 days are far more than what I learned in the three years of the comic art school I attended: composition, rythm, gesture, anatomy, proportions... even color, whose I was genuinelly scared before, is slowly making its way in my drawings, and i'm having FUN doin' it!

The knowlege I picked up from Concept Art in the past months, together with the inspiration and advices from the many talented artist posting here, have no price.

thanks everyone, it's been a damn fun ride so far, can't wait to see what's coming next!

P.S. 4.0 looks really sweet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, I am tearing up at reading your words. I really am so glad that I found this place, even though I found it through negative means. I saw the critiques written with care on that fateful day, and with some fear and some determination I decided to say SOMETHING. I really needed help.

I still need help because I've been in two different universities lately, trying to get out. Someone suggested in my very first post to change majors. Only this year out of sheer contempt for what my program did to me, did I actively do it. I changed to a non-major where I could further my art skills. It's so hard and i've never done it before, but if it weren't for being here and watching everyone else grow and improve, and seeing that they had heart in what they did, all of you, I don't think I'd have taken the step.

Thank you guys so much for helping me. I may be slow, but I'm so happy that I've experienced this place and made some friends...received really good advice that no one else would take the time to give me.

As I'm pretty much in debt and poor myself, only with the subtitle help and occasional donations or downloads do I feel that I'm helping. I fear school is hindering how I contribute, unfortunately. But I'll help in any way I can with the skills I have.

Thanks again, Jason. Thank you so much for the opportunities you've given me, too. It...feels so good not to be turned away for once.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason,

This site is one of the biggest I have ever had the honor of being a part of. When I ran through the contest a few years back regarding scholarships to future concept artists, I felt a heavy sense of sadness when I realized how upset you and the staff were when only a handful of the artists that mentioned submitting, even did. Then and there, it became clear to me that not only just you, but the entire Massive Black team were a group of artists that were so motivated, so dedicated to what they do here for the community and for artists around the world. It was inspiring, it's one of those moments in my life that has kept me going, kept me striving for something that I have today. You guys have been an anchor in my sailing boat when I threatened to stray. Whenever I even TOUCH this site, I feel the overwhelming sensation of inspiration and motivation. It is, honestly, sometimes so profound that I feel a sense of hopelessness as well. That the massive amount of incredible artists on this site makes me feel meek and humbled. You guys are the pinnacle of all that is "art" on the internet, and your dedication is never for naught.
    So, from the bottom of my heart and all those years of practice, and of learning from and visiting this site; thank you, Jason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I discovered Conceptart.org while attending one of those mentioned expensive computer animation schools. As everyone who has posted so far has already mentioned, it took my head right off, in the best possible way. I graduated from that school and landed a job "making art", but I realized I had a long way to go to get to where I wanted to be, but that was a mountain worth climbing. I remember stumbling across MindCandyMan's sketchbook and following the development of a newb into an amazing painter. That further made me realize that all we need do is work, honestly and with all the heart we can muster, and eventually we can make our dreams real. People like Andrew Jones have made me realize and see things that have turned my mind to the true nature of things, to the shape of destiny manufactured through will and action. Every day this site gives me something to aspire to, some place to seek guidance, and perhaps provide some wisdom to those behind me on the path up the mountain. Unfortunately my monetary situation doesn't allow me to directly donate or purchase anything from the site right now, but I'm working everyday to change that, and you can be damn sure all my Christmas present requests will be for downloads and money for streaming classes. Besides, I think knowledge is a greater gift than any material thing could ever be.

So thank you to all the artists and folks who've helped make this site what it is. I'm proud to be part of this community, and I, as Jason Manley articulated, also believe that we are part of and actively creating history here. I look forward to continuing to be part of this community as it grows and doing all I can to help out in return.

Thank you Jason
    Thank you CA

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the most inspiring place in the web. I started growing in art with this site , and I keep CA flag with words "Less words , more Art!" in my every day. Thank you for your work , thank you for such friendly community !

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4