Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Simplicity with Mark English

"Simplicity" with Mark English
    $45.00 USD
    NOW ON DEMAND!!

Mark English is one of the greatest illustrators in history and he joins us to teach live on Wednesday. He has been recognized in the same breath and awards as icons like Norman Rockwell, NC Wyeth, J.C. Leyendecker, Winslow Homer, Maxfield Parrish and other important figures who changed the world of art forever. He is represented by the top galleries in the world. This is an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime. Do you want to study under the best in history? Please join us for a world class educational experience this Wed (and on demand after) on ConceptArt.Org

The theme for Wednesdays class
    will be Simplicity. Mark will show examples of his work, the process, how to
    approach an image using reference or painting from memory. He will also
    talk about and show his life drawings and the approach he created for
    students to help the students simplify what they are seeing and
    interpreting.

Name:  MarkE.jpg
Views: 5645
Size:  110.4 KBName:  MESachi3.jpg
Views: 4974
Size:  94.2 KBName:  MESachi4.jpg
Views: 5619
Size:  111.1 KBName:  MESachi12.jpg
Views: 5268
Size:  60.5 KB

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9th :: Starting at 2:00 PM PST
    $45.00 USD
    STORE LINK HERE:
    http://www.conceptartstore.com/simplicity.html

Last edited by TAD Admissions: Scott Richeson; December 12th, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,255 Times in 2,794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. This is a total honor.

Mark,

I owe you a huge thanks for having the vision to create all that you have, whether it be the art or the illustrators workshops. Every artist knows who is responsible for enabling their success. I have had few who left impact on my life. I can honestly and truly say that your efforts in the field of art and education are one of the core reasons why I made it to where I am. I have never forgotten that.

I am thankful to have you joining us. Truly. Humbly.

Jason Manley

Last edited by Jason Manley; December 5th, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,255 Times in 2,794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Want to see what I mean when I said it is an honor that we have Mark joining us?

http://www.markenglishonline.com/shows2.htm#

This one sentence below says more than my praise ever could, but the link above says it all.

In 1980, English was the most awarded artist in the history of the Society of Illustrators, and in 1983, he was elected to the Illustrator’s Hall of Fame in New York.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... I actually spent some time during my Illustration class this year studying his career and work, and what Jason says is true, having him here is a big deal. I think I know where my plasma money is going this week. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the class live since I have regular classes during the day (I would just skip them, but I can't afford to this close to finals), so I'll have to catch this On Demand. Actually, how many hours it? I may be able to catch the tail end of it.

Last edited by Ian Barker; December 6th, 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Wow that third paintings amazing! I've never heard of this guy.
    His landscapes are actually my favorite... so surreal yet unmistakeably representative... just perfect balance. Great color and texture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am sooooo going to be there for this one! Mark is one of the most influential artist in illustration in decades. Some of you may not know Mark, as he moved off into personal work awhile ago, but for the three or so decades he has been gracing publications, of all sorts, with his images he has rocked the illustration world! Just take a look around, his influence is everywhere. But first do yourself a favor and look him up on the web, you will freak ( in a good way )!

Jon Foster

Last edited by foster; December 6th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's kind of a big deal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cotron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mark English

Mark English is one of the greatest Artists and illustrators who ever lived. His work has elegance and clarity of thought. Mark's work is his own, his own thoughts, his own vision, it is not derivative or an emulation of anyone else.
    I was fortunate enough to walk through a museum once with Mark and listen to him comment on painting after painting. His depth of knowledge and ability to "see" art was astounding. He seemed to be familiar with every artist their career and exactly where this particular painting fit into their body of work. Mark is a modern master!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd come but I'm on the other continent.
    Instead I'll buy one video to support ca and treat myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry issit just me? I don't see any purchase button and its not listed in the streaming classes section. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by djorzgul View Post
    I'd come but I'm on the other continent.
    Instead I'll buy one video to support ca and treat myself
    It's an online streaming class so all you need is your computer and a decent internet connection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope everyone realizes how important this is? Seriously!

Mark English was one of the gods when I was in school, and beyond. I did so many master copies of his work and it constantly eluded me. It was always a major treat to go to the Society of Illustrators and be able to view his work firsthand. He is one of a kind.

What's so incredible about Mark's work, beyond the most obvious (color, composition, value control, drawing, etc.) is that Mark is, himself, a perpetual student. He never stands still. He's always learning and pushing himself further as an artist.

He's doing the best work of his career right now! That is a lesson we can all carry with us for the rest of our creative lives. And what's more, Mark is a true gentleman, humble beyond words.

I can think of no greater honor than being able to watch Mark work. It will blow your mind. He makes everything look so damn easy, like pouring water out of glass for him. But behind all that seeming ease are years of dedication to his art. I learn something every time I watch him work. You really are in the presence of a Master.

What Mark is talking about has been the grail of so many artists throughout time. Few really get it, but many strive towards this goal: Simplicity. You owe it to yourself to be there on Wednesday.

George Pratt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to George Pratt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    In case you missed it in the first post here's the store link!

STORE LINK HERE:
    http://www.conceptartstore.com/simplicity.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    His landscapes are actually my favorite... so surreal yet unmistakeably representative... just perfect balance. Great color and texture.
    There's a bunch of his landscapes on his website, too, if people are interested in what Liffey is talking about : http://www.markenglishonline.com/selectpage.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RUN don't walk to the Mark English class!!! I was so incredibly lucky to have had him as a teacher when I was a young artist. His work has always blown me away. Never one to rest on his laurels, he's always challenged himself and experimented with new and original ideas and directions. He's worked within a number of aesthetics, and all are brilliant. I hope he's able to give a little bit of the history of his work.
    I'm going to do my best to be there for at least a part of it!
    Anita Kunz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    45 bucks? thats incredibly cheap. hell yeah! im in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mark is the Hero's hero. I have had the honor of learning directly from Mark; from Mark's son, John. From many that he has affected directly, and indirectly.
    If you could liken influence to a family tree, many of our contemporary art heros would be way out on a branch, which is connected to a limb, which leads to a trunk. Mark is the trunk of that tree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I very much wish that I could reschedule the final I have at that exact time-- I will be getting the stream to watch, however. These keep getting more and more astonishing. Thank you to Mr. English and to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Payment done. Anxious now. see you wednesday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Want to see what I mean when I said it is an honor that we have Mark joining us?

http://www.markenglishonline.com/shows2.htm#

This one sentence below says more than my praise ever could, but the link above says it all.

In 1980, English was the most awarded artist in the history of the Society of Illustrators, and in 1983, he was elected to the Illustrator’s Hall of Fame in New York.
    Oh my god... Now I'm tempted. If I don't buy this, I'll never see something like this again, but if I do, it takes half of my bank account at the moment. Arrragh, what should I do? @_@

[/brainimplode]

Edit: I talked with my mom about it. She was like "Omg, buy it!" and I did.

Edit 2: Oh my god. It's going to be at 4pm here in Texas... I hope I will be awake, my sleep schedule is fucked up. u_u If not, I guess I'll have to use On Demand.

Last edited by velderia; December 8th, 2009 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in! Though his style is completely different to mine, I need to learn to simplify in my work and I know he is the man to teach me that. Being in the presence of a master can't hurt either!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I have never bought/attended a streaming class here before, due to the fact that my computer was absolute garbage. I just got a new one, and though I haven't really got much money right now, this is VERY tempting. I was wondering if, when you pay for and attend a streaming class, if you also get a dvd of it or some other archived version so you can watch it over multiple times?

Thanks!

-Sarah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Hey guys, I have never bought/attended a streaming class here before, due to the fact that my computer was absolute garbage. I just got a new one, and though I haven't really got much money right now, this is VERY tempting. I was wondering if, when you pay for and attend a streaming class, if you also get a dvd of it or some other archived version so you can watch it over multiple times?

Thanks!

-Sarah
    Nope. :/ You get to stream it for a month and then it gets taken down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Nope. :/ You get to stream it for a month and then it gets taken down.
    /gasp.

Wait, the On Demand thing gets taken down? Better write notes then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    /gasp.

Wait, the On Demand thing gets taken down? Better write notes then.
    They have to do it this way because idiots were putting the Dvd's on the torrents risking CA.orgs future and our opportunity to learn from here as a result!
    They can't keep all the streams up on demand indefinitely either as that would take up far too much bandwidth I think.

As you said, take notes, and watch them a few times, and you'll be fine. I admit, dvd's would be great but I understand their reasoning completely.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my take on the session, dunno if im leaking too much.

u get to see how the master Mark English work on his painting. Theres this session at the back where he should slide by slide on how he works and halfway down the process he just wipes out part of the painting (IMO it was already done very well even without wiping) to achieve simplicity and more important; the message across.

Hows shapes and form created his pieces (lots of powerful landscape paintings with simple shapes and color) and he also mentions about how he got from the process of drawing from line breaking down to shape and eventually he works his pieces on silhouettes. (the life drawings at the back of the sessions were really astonishing you guys just gotta see it... )

Examples/ Samples of other artists that uses simplicity to get the messages across, the idea of leaving details away. Quite a bit of portraits here and there. His thumbnails before engaging the actual painting. The kind of material he uses for his painting.

Lots of stuff, there were things I couldn't digest straight away thus I really hope the On Demand gets up fast. I probably will go through the session at least another 6 times and do lots of practice to train myself to working on shapes and eventually silhouettes. Powerful stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was incredible! Hearing Mark discuss his career and show a broad view of his work can't be beat. His explanations on why simplicity is important to what we do was totally on target. Lots of food for thought, and images to drool over, in this lesson.

Mark makes me want to paint almost as much as he makes me want to quit. But to hear him talk about how he's still learning gives me great hope for my own future. Always a bunch of small (and great) revelations watching him work.

George

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Due to my stupid insomnia I slept right dead in the middle of the class. But I at least I managed to listen to most of it. Even the small things Mark said were really inspiring. I'm happy. I liked how down to earth he was. Can't wait for On Demand to be up.

Edit: Oh wait, it's up. Yay!

Last edited by velderia; December 10th, 2009 at 05:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1