Stuck with books.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Stuck with books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuck with books.

Hey guys. I am begginer in drawing world and i asked ppl to help me where should i start. I got a lot of advices and now i am lost. I got these advices:

1. "Figure drawing for all it's worth"
    2. "Fun with pencil"
    3. Jacques Fresco video tuts on youtube.
    4. "Perspective made easy"
    5. "Drawing on the right side of the brain"

With what book i should start? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Begin with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, definitely. It covers the absolute basics of the relationship between seeing and drawing.

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    Begin with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, definitely. It covers the absolute basics of the relationship between seeing and drawing.
    Agreed, it's the MUST READ book for anyone new to drawing. Then I would move on to "Perspective Made Easy", because the more you understand about how perspective works, the easier drawing anything (even the figure) will become.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribble King For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My suggestion is "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman - the best single book on drawing - might be somewhat advanced for beginning but still worth getting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life is a must have as well, so you should invest in that sometime. I agree to start with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

If I had to arrange them in sequence, it would be:

1. "Drawing on the right side of the brain" (after reading this, I seriously recommend you follow up with Keys to Drawing)
    2. "Perspective made easy"
    3. Jacques Fresco video tuts on youtube (this guy's explanation of perspective is foolproof)
    4. "Fun with pencil"
    5. "Figure drawing for all it's worth"

IMO, it's probably a challenge to start with figure drawing if you haven't drawn before, so it's better to practice drawing still life and humans from life for a long while before moving on to figure drawing using the construction method (which is what Loomis teaches).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok thanks. I started with Drawing on the right side of the brain. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great suggestions and that sort ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The right side book is VERY good, whether you have drawn before or not. I reread it from time to time, so that I can refresh my knowledge.

Very good work people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok lets simplify things for you!
    Take a step back from all the advice and instead decide what it is you want to draw, buildings, castles, dragons or cartoon supermen whatever it is that you want.

Now look around for what you need for the image, i.e. what reference images will help.

Ok now what bits cant you draw in the image? then go find a tutorial for it and do that, when you are happy that you can now do whatever come back and do some more of your master work.
    keep at that until its done then start another master work, this way might make more sense to you and give you a direction to go in.

hope this helps

Lightship69

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, among drawing books a few interior decorating mags, fashion mags, gardening, landscaping, arcitecture, natrue etc.. is also a good idea, just make sure you have room for them.

I just noticed the other day that a certain artists paintings are repetitions of some gardening ideas. Hehe!!!

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you try a different approach:

Step 1) Use a light, paper, pencil, ball and box to set up a simple subject. Draw it 10
    times in one week. Spend at least 1 hour with the drawing and another 1-2 hours with
    the modelling ('shading' for beginners) for each copy.

Step 2) Post the work. Get a couple of crits. Start reading books 1 or 5 and you will get
    more on what you did right and what you did wrong. After that, redraw the subject and
    you will be on your way.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Line For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    I suggest you try a different approach:

Step 1) Use a light, paper, pencil, ball and box to set up a simple subject. Draw it 10
    times in one week. Spend at least 1 hour with the drawing and another 1-2 hours with
    the modelling ('shading' for beginners) for each copy.

Step 2) Post the work. Get a couple of crits. Start reading books 1 or 5 and you will get
    more on what you did right and what you did wrong. After that, redraw the subject and
    you will be on your way.
    Shit advice! Awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Shit advice! Awesome!
    I knew you'd love it and find it useful...

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Line For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What sort of artwork are you doing matey?

What is it for :- fun, self improvement, home improvement (lol) wanna job (eeeeeeuw!!)

maybe if we knew what you were after we could be a little more helpful and not quite as playful ........... lol

sorry about all this, but it really would help to know more about what you are after and then we can try to help you more

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I very much NOT recommend "Drawing on the right side of the brain". The learning method is sloppy, there is only slavish copying by sight, the focus is on instant gratification instead of building skill, and the theory... well, let's politely say it's pseudoscience.

I wish people stopped praising and recommending that book to beginners. :/ It might have inspired many people to try drawing, true; but how many of them found themselves that they had to unlearn that stuff later? If someone already wants to draw, then motivational stuff is of less importance, and methodical stuff is needed. "Right Side" sorely lacks in the latter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    I very much NOT recommend "Drawing on the right side of the brain". The learning method is sloppy, there is only slavish copying by sight, the focus is on instant gratification instead of building skill, and the theory... well, let's politely say it's pseudoscience.

I wish people stopped praising and recommending that book to beginners. :/ It might have inspired many people to try drawing, true; but how many of them found themselves that they had to unlearn that stuff later? If someone already wants to draw, then motivational stuff is of less importance, and methodical stuff is needed. "Right Side" sorely lacks in the latter.
    ???

First you need to learn how to crawl before you can walk. Good hand eye coordination development, being able to do visual judgement and develop it. It's something that can be easily taken for granted when you can draw but there's ppls who still draw like 1'st graders who think that they can't learn. This is the book that gives you those early bits.

Many people get frustrated with it because they are expecting a certain result. That's not what it's about. Just bloody go through the book once and give every exercise the same attention and then you can throw it away.

The stuff in there will incubate in your mind with time.

Last edited by George Abraham; March 11th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! I agree with you you totally arenhaus - and somewhat with you as well zaorr. The one thing I got from it was to learn to draw what you see not what you know or think. I probably shouldn't even comment much because I really never went through it as you suggegst zaorr - I got it way back and it hung around for the longest time - making me feel guilty. Maybe it is a good place to start. I do applaud your willingness to step out there arenhaus - I got your back! On the other hand going through the thing once as zaorr suggests can't hurt.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not responding, I'm busy with the school. But it's almost over and the summer is near so I'm still taking suggestions. I did that reverse image exercise in "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and I was amazed with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    What sort of artwork are you doing matey?

What is it for :- fun, self improvement, home improvement (lol) wanna job (eeeeeeuw!!)

maybe if we knew what you were after we could be a little more helpful and not quite as playful ........... lol

sorry about all this, but it really would help to know more about what you are after and then we can try to help you more
    I'm doing this for self improvement. I'm going to do 3D things and people recommended me that is good to know how to draw, so I would like first to improve my drawing and then go for 3D.

Any more suggestions or advices?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Betty Edwards" is not designed to help you think like an artist, to become a "pro", to convey a sense of form via lineweight, to amaze people with your compositional skill..

It's to stop you drawing stickmen and symbolic noses and at least get on the path to drawing or painting something that looks vaguely real.

That's all it is for.

I realise it may seem daft to most of CA but that's because it deals with concepts you probably intuitively got when you were twelve. You can't even remember what it's like to not get this.
    99.9% of people do not get those concepts, that's why it's a popular book.

It's a solid set of exercises for beginners. (ignore any pseudo science)

If it's a bit basic go master everything in Speeds "Practice and Science of Drawing".

Everyone starts somewhere and Edwards is a much more sane starting point than Speed.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I won't read it the. Where should I start then? With which artist/book/tutorial?

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just draw and then read. If a book hits a chord and you progress - result. Not all books will do this first time. Maybe later that book that didn't make sense. will make sense later in your development. We all learn differently and at different rates.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerendyl View Post
    I'm going to do 3D things and people recommended me that is good to know how to draw, so I would like first to improve my drawing and then go for 3D.

Any more suggestions or advices?
    If you're main thing is going to be 3D then...well, wait, vehicles? Creatures/characters? Environments? Animation? Those are the big three/four really. If you're intereted in vehicles/hardware study industrial design drawing and visualization. Creatures and charaters study figure, anatomy, wildlife, biology. Environments - landscape and architecture. They are three fairly different things so I would focus on one.

Your first steps though should be learning to draw simple forms in space/perspective, paying attention to light and shadow as well as surface quality/texture.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3D - all kind of stuff, no specific.

@JeffX99

As I'm most of the time in my room, should I look photos on the internet and then draw, or should I draw things from my room or?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.