Can't merge layers in Ver. 7...argh!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Can't merge layers in Ver. 7...argh!

I just started using Painter 7 since buying a new computer. I'm running Mac OS 10.2.8.

I can't figure out how to take two layers and squash the damn things together. I can get as far as selecting both layers and grouping them, but when I go to the "collapse" command, it's grayed out. According to the manual, this is should work.

Am I missing something here?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi,

If any of the grouped Layers are set to a Composite Method other than Default, the Collapse option will be greyed out.

One solution is to highlight both Layers, use the Drop and Select command (in the Layers palette menu), then click inside the selection to lift it to a Layer. Now your Layers are collapsed and the transparent areas are still transparent.

Another option is to close the Eye icons for Layers you don't want to collapse, then use File > Clone, you'll get an exact copy of whatever was visible, including the Canvas which will always be opaque whether or not it's painted.

For instance, if you have a blank white Canvas and two Layers, one set to Composite Method Default and the other set to Composite Method Gel and parts of each Layer are transparent, when you use File Clone the result will be what you see in the two Layers but now they're on a white background (from the Canvas).

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Ah...there we go! I usually have my lineart set to "multiply. No wonder I could never merge that layer with another. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.