Character design feedback
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character design feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character design feedback

heya fellow Ca'ers, just started to work with character paintings and drawing in general.

i could use some critiques from you guys and hopefully help me ironing out some problems...

thanks

Last edited by bloodless; December 5th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. The usual things I look for in character design are clear line of action, structure and silhouette. This guy has the first, it's nice and clear although you could probably get away from pushing it more.

The structure is a little weaker, though. It's not bad, per se, it's just not all that apparent. The upper body seems oddly proportioned, with the crotch a bit low, and a long distance between there and the ribcage. I'm not sure about the light belt thing that cuts in there either. The neck is a bit on the long side as well, apparently to accommodate that scarf. You should draw through to see the figure's structure under the clothes, that'll give you a really solid set of guidepoints. He also seems very thin compared to his height, but you could justify it in a number of ways. Unfortunately, they aren't really apparent in this image. Looking closer, there's not a lot of skull in that head. The faceplate (?) looks appropriate for going over a face, but it's very flat in the back. Bring that out a little, and it'll look better.

Silhouette...other than the scarf it's actually kinda bland. Basically, it's a tall, skinny figure. There's little in the line of things that break the silhouette other than the scarf and the odd indent with that light belt thing. As you develop this, keep silhouette in mind and every now and then actually black out the figure to see if it's got an interesting and informative look. If you can tell something about the figure without any interior detail, you're on the track to a winning silhouette.

Overall though, it's quite a good start. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your feedback Nezumi it was very helpful!

the shiluette part is definetly something i will apply so it will help me structure the figure... something i had great dificulty doing while working on it!.

i will post again with corrections.

thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.