Sketchbook: Euthyphro's Fresh Start

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Euthyphro's Fresh Start

Hello CA. It's been a long while, much to long, since my last sketchbook and it is time for a fresh start. I seem to suffer from coming and going here. My first round lasted about a month, before a six month hiatus, and the second run was for a solid 4 months before a year and a half or so. So if the pattern continues this should last for 16 months and hopefully that will be long enough to set the discipline in place. So to start here is a SP I did in blue colored pencil last night. I'll follow with sketchbook pages from the last month and half or two months of drawing.

The image quality is very poor because I am shooting them with a old cheap digital camera. I work at a print shop with a professional quality scanner but for the past four months I've been biking to work. In the future I'll try to take my book with me if you'll bear with me for the time.

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the sketchbook pages a variety of stuff mostly ref'd. Some are from Loomis, some from sites like gracefulnudes.com, a few master studies et al. I have been working on thinking and drawing form hopefully that shows. Also these aren't any any particular order other than the way the opened in photoshop. I'll be back in a bit to put up my lunchtime sketches but for now I need a break from the upload manager.

Cheers

Crits are welcome, requested, bribed for, and coerced. Thanks.

"To say a work of art is good but incomphrensible to the majority of men, is the same as saying of some kind of food that it is very good but most people can't eat it." Leo Tolstoy

My Sketch Book - Old Book

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so these are sketches that I've drawn during my 30 minute lunch break at work (I do design work at a print shop). There probably isn't a drawing that I used the whole 30 minutes for thought because CA threads call to me at lunch These are mostly master studies done from sculpture usually from the online art gallery at http://www.wga.hu. The first two are from Imagination (where I really suffer) and a few foxes and bears because no thread is complete without foxes and bears.

Crits are encouraged, welcomed in, cared for, and raised to an age suitable to be released back into the wild.

Cheers

"To say a work of art is good but incomphrensible to the majority of men, is the same as saying of some kind of food that it is very good but most people can't eat it." Leo Tolstoy

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well its good that so few people have been in here since I still haven't biked my book to work to scan it. More bad photos. Self portrait from tonight, a Brague drawing WIP (about 4hours so far, just by sight, not sight-sized), and a pen sketch from lunch.

Crits are invited.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here is the finish Brague with another 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Cheers

EDIT: Quick study after Raphael's Putto carry the ring and feathers of the Medici - from Robert Beverly Hale Master Class in Figure Drawing. The Brague is on the same page and I think the contrast shows better in this shot. Contrast and what not touched up on Putto as the flash flooded out some of the subtlety. With Hale's book I've been trying to alternate reading a section one night between sketches and practicing the lesson the next night, read and repeat.

Last edited by Euthyphro; December 10th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep em comin! I need some kick in the a** and start to draw somethin on paper by myself-really nice baby face on the last one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad your back mate! Keep pushing yourself!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you're making definitive improvements! I'm hopeful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CUKIER Start a sketchbook and I'll give you a kick in the ass whenever you need it.

Memo It is all about work and perseverance. Start a book.

B-man Thanks man. Same to you.

A self portrait for the night. Maybe more later. . .

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the last two days of lunch time sketching. Two master work self portraits. One is Courbet and the other is a Raphael something or other that I can't recall at the moment.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ur loomiss drawings are really cutee... draw more.. (:

My Concept Sketchbook - My Profile - Don't care my grammar level.. Because i don't know anything about it..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    north pole Thanks. I think there is more Loomis in my future

Here is a study after Michelangelo. More later.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a self portrait from today. I think the best of them so far.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a quick sketch from today. Sorry about the poor quality. I think I might do some coloring on it later.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last three pics in your SB are definetely the best. In the Selfportrait, you could do with a bigger skull in relation to your face. The nude's done pretty accurate, but watch her droopy mouth and elongated left hand (left leg's on the small side also). Keep going as you're going i'd say, there's an upward curve in this SB.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walnut Thanks for the crit. I didn't see it but you are right about the SP. On the lady I did notice the hand, and I think the hips might be a little narrow too. If I end up adding the color I'll fix it.

Okay so tonight I have three torso, from photo ref of a cast, curtesy of hummeldane's thread on the different sides of Classical Realism that I suggest everyone read. Here. And for the casts. The first two of the front and 3/4 I am fairly happy with, but something doesn't feel right about the back view and I can seem to figure it out. Is the shoulder girdle too large, are the hips too small, the rib cage too short? The agony. Maybe its the gluteus medius? Is it too low?

Crits are invited to stay for dinner and drinks in the parlor. Ass pats have to leave before desert.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, there is a lot of progress in your last 3 drawings.

For the back view, looking at the reference I noticed that the angle of the shoulders (and the ribcage) in not correct. Look back at the ref, the right shoulder is a lot higher than the left one isn't it ? Because of this wrong angle the torso is completely compressed on both way which makes it looks weird.

It should be compressing on the left side and stretching on the right side.

No idea if I'm clear...

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DiR3Kt You are absolutely right. I pulled it back up after reading that and you're right. It is funny how sometimes you can't see something till its pointed out like that. Thanks.

Okay for today I have a study of Tintoretto's study after Michelangelo. I was happy with it last night when I started it and then I botched it up a bit today. The head is two wide and I'm not positive the angle is quite right. C'est la vie. Then there are some pen sketches from Posemaniacs.

Crits can stay, the rest can go

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright tonight we have more studies from cast photos from the above mentioned site. This time its a lady. Women are must more difficult in my opinion; there is just so much subtly. I look at them every day and yet remain ignorant, ask my wife.

The second set I drew the larger version on the left first. I tired to start with the big forms and lost the whole thing. So I resketched it on the left this time instead of trying to grab what was underneath I tried to start with the blocks of the exterior. I left the construction lines. Hopefully I am learning something.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a study I did last night in bed. That's right, art in bed. As you can see I considered rendering the the image with a brush marker, but as you can see from side of the image that was going to work for me

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For this morning we have a study after a Russian figure drawing. Again just trying to grab the big forms.

All crits come free with the satisfaction of helping a fellow artist.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I bought my wife a new digital camera for Christmas. . . once I figure out what I need to do I should have some higher quality pictures. Till then though. . .

So she gave me a giant book of Michelangelo's complete works (that is with the exception of his drawings but I had a book of his drawings already so that's good.). So expect Michelangelo for the next few weeks. Anyway here is a strange photo of a study I'm working on of the Delphic Sibyl. I thought how the camera picture up the quality (read: poor quality) of the paper I was using gave it the look of Michelangelo's studies. Once I finish I'll be sure to get a better image.

Merry Christmas,

or if you don't celebrate the birth of the Princeps Pacis, happy Friday.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That russian figure study, I recognized it right away. Overall nice start but it seems like you just put down a line and kept drawing without any measurements. It's proportionate, but not accurate. You stretched out the head, hands, and legs a little too far and straightened them out while the figure has both his legs "pointing towards the center". Hope that makes sense.

I would suggest blocking the figure in like a contour drawing and then check point to point. Make sure you have the angles perfect. For example the knuckles to, say, the scapula. The kneecap to the belly button. The point where the thigh meets the buttocks to the tip of the nose. If you keep doing these quick checks and the angle is the same on your drawing as it is on the you you're copying, that means there should be no problem with the length and placement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gamer Thanks for the crits. I can definitely use them. Measuring point to point like that seem like quite a good idea. I have problems keeping my shapes accurate and I think that could be helpful. I'm note sure I fully understand what you mean but we'll see. As for blocking the figure in as a contour, I'm not sure I follow what you are saying exactly. With the Russian drawing I started with block more or less and built it up from there. I think the issues fall into the realm of measures as you first suggested. Maybe I am misunderstanding. It wouldn't be the first time.

So for tonight I have the Delphic Sibyl a little further. I may not take this further; there are a few mistakes and I'm ready to move on to the next one. The next figure I'll try and get clean shots of the process.

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the horrible explanation. Measuring is what I meant basically for accurate proportions. The Delphic Sibyl looks good though the bottom half looks a little squished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gamer It's cool man, I got the gist of it either way. I keep meaning to drop a line on your book, I guess I need to get on here earlier tomorrow

Anywho, here is what I have so far on Michelangelo's Libyan Sibyl (did I get that right). There are still quite a few errors that I am working out, and the pictures I got from the earlier stages are too awful. Maybe next time. Hopefully tomorrow this will be closer to complete.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay for today I have finished the Libyan Sibyl. I think I'll do one of the prophets next probably Daniel or Isaiah. I fairly happy with the final result but there are some issues that I see now that should have been fixed earlier on. The bottom half of the figure from about the hip down is out of proportion, the angle of the shoulder girdle isn't quite right, and the angle of the skull is too close to a profile.

Hope everyone is have a great New Year.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I thought I posted this yesterday. I guess I forgot to hit submit after I previewed. Anywho, here is Isaiah, not quite finished. Slacked a little last week, but this week I got Juliette Aristides' Atelier Book. So that should push in the right direction.

Cheers

Fresh Start

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.