Thanks

Pixar Quits Disney Talks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    SWEEEEEET!!!! Pixar deserves to be out of Disney's evil grasp.

Thanks
    Ha, Ha, Like Disney never saw it comming! Right! Give me a break! The mouse is going down the drain! do they even have an animation Dept. anymore???
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    otis, to answer your question, Disney got rid of their last 2D facility (which was the Florida studio) a couple of weeks ago, and now they are putting all of their money and efforts into 3D animation. Which is funny because 'Brother Bear', a Disney 2D feature, got nominated for an Oscar. And if it wins, I'm sure we will hear Eisner's screams that day.

...The ex-Florida Disney animators, thankfully, are starting their own 2D studio, called Legacy Animation Studios. Best wishes to these guys.

Thanks
    I first heard about this last summer from someone who works at Pixar. The 2-d animation getting gutted I didn't hear about until recently though.

Personally I find it simeltaneously hilarious and saddening that Disney's cut off their 2-d animation. Saddening because of all the animators losing their jobs, and also because of the fact that...well..do I really need to spell it out? Frickin' Disney cutting their 2-D animation. Really what more needs to be said?

At the same time, I find it hilarious given how badly Eisner's cult of sychophants and suits have effectively been running the good name of Disney into the mud.
    Of course, I also find it hilarious that Disney's gutting their 2-d animation in favor of 3-d given that Pixar's apparently branching out into 2-d animation! Additionally, their first 2-d feature is going to be aimed at older audiences, too...uh oh, Disney! Looks like flooding the market with the same old 2-d musical kiddie-fied family fare that was fucking KILLING THE ANIMATION INDUSTRY over here and making people crave Japanese animation is finally going to be dealt a deathblow. (As a side note, the state of animation in American seems almost like a repeat of live-action cinema almost being choked off during 60's due to the happy-go-lucky musicals and other stuff that had flooded that market.)

As for the new boys in town, Pixar's certainly poised to be the next Disney. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, they ARE the new Disney...they've done more for 3-D animation than any other company in history. A bit like what Disney accomplished for 2-d in the older days. That being said, long live the creative and uncompromising spirit of Walt within the halls of Pixar studios.
    Last edited by DanSTC; January 30th, 2004 at 03:43 AM.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    In a way I think Disney cancelling all of its 2D studios is a good thing.

All those awesome animators aren't just going to give up. New studios are going to be made and those x-disney dudes are going to have A LOT more creative freedom.

IMO, in a few years, animation in general will be a lot better.

Thanks
    Its funny. From my understanding when Pixar first started up (pre- Toy Story), they were great at animation but not good story tellers (as with most films, don't have a good story, it will just flop). So when Disney first partnered with Pixar, Disney "lent" some of their top story people to Pixar. When it was time for these people to return to Disney, they refused because obviously Pixar was working on cool projects that they wanted to be apart of.

Disney has lost out twice now, first its top people to make any movie work, now a profitable business partner.

On the other side, when are western animation companies going to realise that cartoons aren't limited to the domain of kids? Its not so much anime that 'adults' crave, its just animation taken seriously.