Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dragon sculpture WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Dragon sculpture WIP

Hi there sculptors
    The folks over at WIP told me to through some pictures this way so i thought i'ld take some new ones first
    I was wondering if i could get some crits and ideas for this here dragon
    I'm considering giving him a mane to give him a bit more of a unique feel.
    The idea of giving him a rider is also there.

also has anyone had any expirence with rigging a mini flame thrower or

tl;dr
    crits and ideas please (colour schemes included )

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very Cool

And it looks huuuuggeee!!

will it fit in an oven?

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    very Cool

And it looks huuuuggeee!!

will it fit in an oven?
    Cheers
    and hrmm i better retest that now i've changed the pose haha
    any crits or suggestions?

Last edited by Jimmi_B; December 4th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot to ask for crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel adding a rider or armour could overpower the strength of the pose and clutter up the sculpt, plus it isnt exactly original. Like I said before, play with anatomy.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like youre off to a good start. I'd look at making the wing membrane thinner & maybe change the shape of it & have it blending down into the tail a bit further. I'd also be inclined to pull the wings back a bit more & maybe just push the whole pose even further to give it even more dynamism. Other than that its certainly impressive. You got a big enough oven?!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Cypher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cypher View Post
    Looks like youre off to a good start. I'd look at making the wing membrane thinner & maybe change the shape of it & have it blending down into the tail a bit further. I'd also be inclined to pull the wings back a bit more & maybe just push the whole pose even further to give it even more dynamism. Other than that its certainly impressive. You got a big enough oven?!
    Cool i'm workign on the wings atm,
    so by thinner make the webbing more curved?

and whats teh verdict on new wing position everyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this looks crazy so far! Very lively pose, full of energy, though I agree--I'd leave off a rider, it would take away focus from the dragon. Probably wouldn't do a mane either, I don't think it would fit with the overall character, but perhaps more fins on the neck/back instead.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiangzu View Post
    Wow, this looks crazy so far! Very lively pose, full of energy, though I agree--I'd leave off a rider, it would take away focus from the dragon. Probably wouldn't do a mane either, I don't think it would fit with the overall character, but perhaps more fins on the neck/back instead.
    So like a spinosaur dorsal frill?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AMAZING

- BlogSpot - deviantART - Web Site - MySpace -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool! Awesome work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi_B View Post
    So like a spinosaur dorsal frill?
    Perhaps something like that, I think the fin on the chin looks good, just as long as you don't overdo it.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps something like that, I think the fin on the chin looks good, just as long as you don't overdo it.
    So not massively big? i was thinking just down the neck until the shoulders then go to plate scales down to the tail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome stuff their james. youve really captured a moment. my only suggestion so far is that his tongue may be to long. i dunno id probably go half the length.

great sence anatomy tho! is there like dragon anatomy you use for refrence? his right deltoid is that going to blend with the wing?

im going to have a closer look later on but so far thumbs up dude.

"Most eyes skip the details... But its worth putting in the effort for the ones that appreciate it."
    Kimi-Yoshi Aoki.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agathe View Post
    awsome stuff their james. youve really captured a moment. my only suggestion so far is that his tongue may be to long. i dunno id probably go half the length.

great sence anatomy tho! is there like dragon anatomy you use for refrence? his right deltoid is that going to blend with the wing?

im going to have a closer look later on but so far thumbs up dude.
    Cheers mate
    yea not sure what i'm doing with the tongue, its having trouble sporting itself with no armature.
    no anatomy thus far, jsut been going off the top of my head
    as for the deltoids, i have no idea i'm pretty lost with the wings atm haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So not massively big? i was thinking just down the neck until the shoulders then go to plate scales down to the tail
    That sounds good.

Also on your picture where you drew the red line--Looks good to pull the wing membrane that far down the tail, but maybe not cut into where they already are like where your line is, just add it.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the pose, very evocative and makes me think of a mid-air battle between two dragons. This dragon and the pose made me think of the style of the 80s-90s TSR artists who did the dragon lance artwork, think Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley etc..

Check this link to an Easley picture of two dragons fighting mid-air, it might have the feel you are going for. I look forward to seeing this one and where it goes.

http://www.aumania.it/fa/easley/069.jpg

Last edited by TitusCrow; December 7th, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: the link, I forgot to add it :P

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TitusCrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusCrow View Post
    I love the pose, very evocative and makes me think of a mid-air battle between two dragons. This dragon and the pose made me think of the style of the 80s-90s TSR artists who did the dragon lance artwork, think Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley etc..

Check this link to an Easley picture of two dragons fighting mid-air, it might have the feel you are going for. I look forward to seeing this one and where it goes.

http://www.aumania.it/fa/easley/069.jpg
    Cheers for teh links
    those pics will come in great use for future projects

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jimmie, this is really taking shape! Love the direction it's going. Keep on working, we all want to see the finished product ! Impatient bastards aren't we?
    Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mah ' Crub View Post
    Jimmie, this is really taking shape! Love the direction it's going. Keep on working, we all want to see the finished product ! Impatient bastards aren't we?
    Mah ' Crub
    Cheers mate, Impatient is good, means i'll find more time to work on it
    No i'm back from my hiking trip i've redoubled my efforts and now i just ahve to give it scales

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of the curved wings,but they look probably just as good as they are.
    Maybe you could taper the edges a little more so it looks like thin skin?

Really nice work, My only crit is to make the pics a bit smaller, maybe 1000 wide, just so you can view the dragon as a whole

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    I like the idea of the curved wings,but they look probably just as good as they are.
    Maybe you could taper the edges a little more so it looks like thin skin?

Really nice work, My only crit is to make the pics a bit smaller, maybe 1000 wide, just so you can view the dragon as a whole

thanks for the crit man i'll get on it now before i start outlining the scales

yea i was thinking that when i was showing mum on her computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jimmi, looking good so far!
    From the looks of things, it seems like to used prebaked teeth - very good call. However, IMO they seem a tad on the large side. I don't think it would be possible for the dragon to close its mouth completely. I'd incorporate slightly smaller, thinner teeth (you'd be able to add more teeth than are currently present should you decide to take this route). Also, judging by the front view of the mouth, the tongue takes up too much space in the back of the mouth. Don't forget to leave room to hint at an esophagus - this guy would still need to eat after all .

If you're having trouble supporting the tongue, some 20 gauge aluminum wire might be helpful if hanger wire is too thick. Just fold it along itself, twist it into a spiral and bend it into the desired shaped. You could fold it along itself twice if you need extra stability. Make sure the wire is longer than you need and insert the excess into the back of the mouth.

Whatever you decide to do with the neck fin, I'd recommend photoshoping a fin onto a photo of the sculpture to help decide what works best. Considering the amount of spikes and fins around the head, plate scales might work along the entire spine. Be careful not to make the sculpture too busy.

Regarding the mini flamethrower, (ignoring the danger for a moment) I think having an open flame that close to the sculpture could end up burning the mouth. If you really wanted to, you could rig up a simple led circuit so that there is a bulb in the back of the mouth. If you're interested, I can explain a setup that worked for my project.

Anyways, best of luck and keep us posted.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexokinase View Post
    Hey Jimmi, looking good so far!
    From the looks of things, it seems like to used prebaked teeth - very good call. However, IMO they seem a tad on the large side. I don't think it would be possible for the dragon to close its mouth completely. I'd incorporate slightly smaller, thinner teeth (you'd be able to add more teeth than are currently present should you decide to take this route). Also, judging by the front view of the mouth, the tongue takes up too much space in the back of the mouth. Don't forget to leave room to hint at an esophagus - this guy would still need to eat after all .

If you're having trouble supporting the tongue, some 20 gauge aluminum wire might be helpful if hanger wire is too thick. Just fold it along itself, twist it into a spiral and bend it into the desired shaped. You could fold it along itself twice if you need extra stability. Make sure the wire is longer than you need and insert the excess into the back of the mouth.

Whatever you decide to do with the neck fin, I'd recommend photoshoping a fin onto a photo of the sculpture to help decide what works best. Considering the amount of spikes and fins around the head, plate scales might work along the entire spine. Be careful not to make the sculpture too busy.

Regarding the mini flamethrower, (ignoring the danger for a moment) I think having an open flame that close to the sculpture could end up burning the mouth. If you really wanted to, you could rig up a simple led circuit so that there is a bulb in the back of the mouth. If you're interested, I can explain a setup that worked for my project.

Anyways, best of luck and keep us posted.
    Smaller teeth does sound like a good idea
    i'll trim down the tounge
    haha yea the flamethrower i'll leave until i make a metal sculpture
    The LED does sound good, maybe not for this project but in future ones, i was always worried about the led getting damaged during the baking process

Every cloud has a silver lining; except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90

"Si vis pacem, para bellum "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The LED does sound good, maybe not for this project but in future ones, i was always worried about the led getting damaged during the baking process
    Should the need arise in future projects, the trick is having the metal led holder and a hollow esophagus in place during the baking process. I personally like to make the esophagus out of epoxy, so that it won't cave in while sculpting and can survive the baking process without the risk of melting. The bulb and wires are threaded through after the baking is done

At this stage though, it is more of a headache than needed..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexokinase View Post
    Should the need arise in future projects, the trick is having the metal led holder and a hollow esophagus in place during the baking process. I personally like to make the esophagus out of epoxy, so that it won't cave in while sculpting and can survive the baking process without the risk of melting. The bulb and wires are threaded through after the baking is done

At this stage though, it is more of a headache than needed..
    Brilliant i shall use that in future projects thank you very much for all the crits and the ideas

Every cloud has a silver lining; except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a update, sorry about it being so slow had a hiking trip and alot of family gatherings. I think the snout is a little too tall ATM but I'm liking the changes to the horn structure

**EDIT**
    Reworking teh eyes to get some more emotion/fearsomeness
    See pic 2 for latest

Last edited by Jimmi_B; January 1st, 2010 at 05:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

quick update
    sorry for being so slow, things keep popping up and stopping me from working on it... Wisdom teeth make you just want to sleep haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jimmi, haven't checked on this in a while, you've been busy! I see you got a lot of body work done since I last looked. He's look'in great!. I love the skin texture on the face, lots of detail.
    Keep up the good work!

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The texture and scales are looking great! My only critique is that the eye doesn't really seem to match the snarl of the mouth, it doesn't look as aggressive.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The texture and scales are looking great! My only critique is that the eye doesn't really seem to match the snarl of the mouth, it doesn't look as aggressive.
    Cheers for the crit, any ideas on how to fix it?
    add a wider brow is all i can think of atm

And thanks mah crub
    any suggestions from you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.