Sketchbook: Mateus, just my heart n' soul

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Do you see improvement?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way jose!

0 0%
  • Just a tad...:p

1 9.09%
  • Yup yup, sure do

10 90.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Mateus, just my heart n' soul

>>>>Check out my more recent shhtuuff!

Hey guys, thanks for checking out my sketchbook!
    My name is Matthew, and I'm currently a college student in Huntington Beach, CA. I am making a transition from graphic design to the fine arts. My overall goal is to better my skills, better yet...PERFECT my skills and be able to make a living through the production of my art, no matter what form!! Anyways, my main focus at this point is anatomy and still life. I would greatly appreciate a critique from you and any advice your willing to give. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rhoades; December 7th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Alright, well i worked a little bit on a piece today but sadly i gave up on it, Maybe ill finish her later. But here it is anyways! And i also put in some older stuff...

Thanks
    Hey dude, thanks for stopping by.

Good luck on the switch. Keep up the studies!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enydimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just a few sketches from an anatomy book I have. My scanner is down so sorry for the poor quality
    Thanks Enydimon, I will definatley keep up my studies!

Last edited by Rhoades; December 6th, 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the photo lol
    "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    Matthew 7:3-5

Sketchbook

Email>>MRRhoades@rocketmail.com

Thanks
    Some studies I did earlier today. My book of reference is Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman. I love the book, but does anyone know of any other good anatomy books?

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Sketchbook

Thanks
    More studies (Legs a little too short?)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi Matthew, I have come to the same conclusion that graphic design is not my favorite thing to do although I've had 4 years of experience with photoshop, Illustrator, and other adobe programs. I'm using photoshop now to paint some stuff which is pretty entertaining. I've learned alot and experienced a lot being at college but to be successful in a field you really have to apply yourself and have passion for what you want to do. I'm definitely passionate with art, and It is so very satisfying producing a finished portrait or a piece of artwork that I'm proud of. It has also taught me patience and how to focus.

I grew up without any art instruction even through highschool. I think it was mostly a gift I was born with. The first exposure to any structured art class was in my college years. At first I was really excited and now realize how I didn't even get proper instruction and professors would not put the effort of quality instruction into their classes. That has led me on to seek better instruction and I would like to attend a art and design school with more focus on the arts and painting and drawing than I get here, like much more. I've discovered a few schools on my own, such as Ringling College of Art and Design which I'm sure you're aware of, SCAD (Savannah College of art and Design) and Cooper Union, School of Visual arts in NYC, and a few other good ones. I would love to get into one of those, preferably SCAD. It has quite a good rating.

Now on to some of your work. First of all; Wicked skull at the top first post. I really like the detailed shading. You definitely took some patience with that one. I believe we should always do a good finished drawing once in awhile as it spurs on our creativity and motivates us.

In your bridgeman studies, they look cartoonish, and somewhat undeveloped like you rushed them (the last page specifically). Spend more time on those bridgeman studies, draw a few of them and try and understand what the structure of the body is and how it moves in space. That I believe is what Bridgeman is trying to get across to us. Good skull and head studies. Maybe if you draw smaller versions they wont take as long and you'll finish them more quickly giving you added motivation and satisfaction. I like to vary the sizes of my drawings on the paper, although some are relatively the same size if im drawing Bridgeman studies.

Another thing I've started to try and do is walk around and draw outside, people, buildings, structure, nature, trees, animals, anything from life is absolutely great for observation and will help you improve greatly. I'm trying to make an effort to get out and do more life studies of people.

As you draw more and become more confident your lines will get smoother and more fluid. Some of your sketching up here seems scratchy and jerky, but with practice you'll no doubt get more confident with your lines. I'm working on that myself. it takes focus and determination but its worth it.

Some books I like to draw from are of course
    Burne Hogarth anatomy books and Bridgeman, which looks like you're using already. Also check out "The Complete Book of Drawing and Painting by Hugh Laidman". Probably really cheap on amazon and it has alot of good information and guidance on drawing and sketching from life.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work! and thanks for dropping by my SB.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to danlucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, thank you so much Dan. I really appreciate the time and honesty you put into your reply, it means alot! Well I too have came to that conclusion about graphic design! lol, for some reason its just not as satisfying to me as drawing and painting are. I have never heard of any of those schools actually, I'll have to look into them! One art school in particular I;m aware of is LCAD (Laguna College of Art and Design), I looked into them but they just seemed overpriced for what they offered. Thank you for your compliments on the skull, and as for my other work goes; I most definately see what your saying. They do seem somewhat cartoonish, I will keep up my studies and hopefully with time that will change! I will definately check out that book, I need some more literature on drawing. Again, Thanks alot

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey rhoades, thanks for dropping by my SB. On that last study, I would say the guy on the left has a bit to lengthy of arms, and the feet are a bit too long (says me with huge feet irl)=P but for proportionate reasons they are. As stated it does take time to get confidence in your lines, but its great you are doing studies! Something I think is difficult for people is following bridgemans line confidence, very loose yet very descriptive lines, hard to achieve without a lot of practice.

One thing you can try is an excercise where you draw a still life without erasing, and without "scratching" meaning long fluid lines only. no shading is needed either, this helps some people quite a bit.

I'm glad your making the decision to switch from GD to FA, good choice imo =) Keep at it, all the studying and learning can only do so much, the most important thing is to draw draw draw!

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Natzuur-JK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Natzuur-JK, thanks for your critique! I would have to agree with you, he's most definitely not proportionate lol. I'm going to keep practicing though, and I'm definitely going to try out your exercise! Sounds challenging, but also sounds like it will actually help. Maybe I'll post some of my attempts. Thanks again

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Rhoades, nice work you have here, I remember when I started studying from Bridgman books, when i started i probably had the same pics as you have, my little advice is, that maybe you should draw more precise and just draw as much as you can, at first Bridgman's anatomy stuff didn't make any sense to me, but I drew one of his pic many times, in school brake I took almost the whole book through in 2 days. And I obviously still copy from the master, because practice makes perfect. Keep it up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heix33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heix33 View Post
    Hey Rhoades, nice work you have here, I remember when I started studying from Bridgman books, when i started i probably had the same pics as you have, my little advice is, that maybe you should draw more precise and just draw as much as you can, at first Bridgman's anatomy stuff didn't make any sense to me, but I drew one of his pic many times, in school brake I took almost the whole book through in 2 days. And I obviously still copy from the master, because practice makes perfect. Keep it up.
    This is what i'm doing. I've been drawing mainly from the Bridgeman book. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to me but i'm still drawing his figures because I believe after drawing a thousand or more drawings of his I will finally get it. I sometimes draw the same picture many times also. Good advice.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to danlucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice scatches,
    some good mid shade tunes ))
    keep up

<<{hello to hamlet}>>

<<Scatches&Study>>
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=172511

Face Book:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php

Twitter:

http://twitter.com/manga_dll
    **Only A child Doesn't give up!!***
    ***And there's nowhere to surrender***

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Yuki_slider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    killer skull at the top dude, and awesome zombie hehe keep at it and work hard and you get where you wanna be

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

22. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks so much for your compliments and advice guys, It really means alot. and I totally agree Dan, that's great advice. Thanks to both of you

I've recently been intrigued by Michelangelo's work. He was most definitely an amazing artist and a well rounded person. He did it all, from sculpting, to painting, to even architecture (and I'm sure much more that I'm not aware of). With that said, I think i might do some studies from some of his work. Look for an update later today.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    "Hey bro" to you too...bro. I've been meaning to post on here that your skull is one of my favorites. It reminds me of the illustrations of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark for some reason. Everything else I could say has pretty much already been said, but one more anatomy book for you to check out: Anatomy for the Artist by Jeno Barcsay. I'll be checking in again to see more.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's good to see that you're drawing from Bridgman, and also drawing from an anatomy book will help a lot. I'd like to see some still life drawings as well.

For the Bridgman studies, the best thing to do is to copy the drawing (and try to think about it and understand it while you're copying it), then find a reference picture of a body in a similar pose and apply the idea of the Bridgman study to that reference and that will help you understand the similarities.

Also when studying from anatomy books, copy the muscles, then find a reference picture to see the muscles on the surface, then draw the muscle study from imagination, and then go back and look at the original and see where your mistakes lie. This is the way to engrave the information into your mind faster. Good luck and keep up the good work!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jeremyg0rd0n-Thanks a lot for your input and advice. And great idea on the bridgman studies! I will definitely try that out. Im going to do some still life, if not tonight definitely tomorrow Thanks again

GoGoJojo-lol, sorry for the bro thing. I guess i just assumed you were a male. Thanks for the compliment on my skull! I'll have to check that book out too by the way, thanks for the reference

So for my post! The first image is a reference from a sketch by Michelangelo and the hand is from the painting Creation of Adam, also by Michelangelo. The second image is of a grenade is started, its obviously not finished but I thought I'd post it anyways

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Oh it's fine if you call me bro. I actually took it as a compliment, because that means my crap doesn't look all girly. If it causes less confusion though, you can call me Betsy.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great study. Noticeable progress there on the last page. I'm a switching Graphic Designer as well, by the way, although a bit late :p.

Good luck!

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

32. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks witcrack! Progress is definitely a good thing, makes me feel like I'm not running in place lol. And yeah, graphic design is cool, but its not the same

Sketchbook

Thanks
    One more thing before i go to bed. I know the scale and perspective aren't the best. But i wanted to take a wack at the Vitruvian Man! Thanks to Leonardo da Vinci. lol anyways, critiques are welcome! Thanks

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey guys, I have a question. Under our display names there is a ranking (I'm assuming thats what it is), for instance I'm "Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae". How do you rank up? Or is there a thread that I can look at that has this information? I've looked around but haven't had any luck. Thanks!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    hi. you have improved from your first post. keep up the great work. the level thing is influanced by the amount of posts you make. I think when you get to 100 posts you go up a level

37. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    phoenicorn, Thanks! That was very helpful, I've been racking my brain over that. lol. And thanks for the compliment/encouragement

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my thread. The skull in the first post is outstanding. There's some nice shading on the figure #18. I think your figures have a tendancy to have their heads a little too large, however. I don't know if you've seen or heard of the Andrew Loomis books, but I believe his figure drawing one breaks the different proportions of figures in a lot of detail. Have a look for it if you get the chance.

Good luck!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to MrParker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks MrParker, Yeah about the head thing. I've noticed I have trouble making the head to the right scale as the body. I keep working on it though! And as for Andrew Loomis, I've never heard of him before. I'll have to check him out. Thanks Parker.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ok, just got done with a few Bridgman skull studies. Here they are!

Last edited by Rhoades; December 9th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Does anyone know of any other books by Bridgman, other than the human machine and constructive anatomy?

Sketchbook

Thanks

Stunna

Some yeti acion...

Last edited by Rhoades; December 11th, 2009 at 01:04 AM.

Sketchbook

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1