She has neck pains!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

She has neck pains!

I need to rework this and make the gal happy. I can't figure it out for the life of me and I'm getting muddled about the whole sketch. The neck is a point of contention for me (that's relative, I suck at everything :p) and I haven't found a reference for this pose. Maybe if I don't get any comments before tonight I'll give it another awkward, awkward shot.

And the hand... I know. She's a monster or something. Yeah, that's it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right I'm not the best at anatomy but I'll give it a shot. I tried taking this pose and it looks like your neck isn't so much the problem as much as how wide her torso is. For myself the arm on the left didn't come out quite so far.

I also noticed that my Sternocleidomastoid on the right side was very defined as I was stretching it out quite a bit. The way you have drawn the muscles doesn't look as though the neck is twisting.

Hope this helps a bit, or hopefully someone with a better understanding of anatomy will come and save you haha, good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The muscles that run from the shoulders to the neck are too high and thick. The neck needs room to be, well...the neck.

The torso is not too thick, but the boobs' arrangement and size make it seem that way. The boobs are too high up and far apart form each other. It looks like they're trying to hide in her pits.

The head and arms are good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nillia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    copy/pasta'

Clean up your lines first. Its hard to give a crit when we cant read what lines you're sticking with, only you know. so start getting rid of the sketch stuff first

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to the (very good) points above, it appears that the neck's just not pivoting the right way. Her entire head is moved back as a result. Keep in mind where the neck connects to the skull and how it turns; for example, the ears stay in the same place in a nodding motion, as they are the pivot points. For this case, I suggest moving her head forward so her chin is a bit more out, and perhaps rolling it a little less.

Aside from this, there are a few anatomy quirks, though, as Zwarrior pointed out, it's sketchy and hard to tell. Some that I see include the sternocleidomastoids, which shouldn't be connecting at a single point, and the serratus/lat area. Her pectoral muscles(and breasts) should flow into the shoulder, creating an armpit underneath with the lats.
    The figure is also extremely masculine; generally, women don't build large muscles because their hormones are different (though they do get denser and more "toned", as erroneous as that term is), and their shoulders are less broad, to name a few differences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm working on implementing them, but in the meantime I've removed the erroneous lines. Her deformities have become a little more obvious. If anyone has other things to point out, point away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nateman742

Good reference/learning material can really help speed up your understanding of complex forms.

Personally, I found Kevin Chen's approach to constructing the neck and shoulders, as well as placing the breasts, particularly enlightening.
    Perhaps you will as well, check it out:

Attachment 80903

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432

Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, because I sort of fumbled with words the first time: What I meant by the sternocleidomastoids was that, while they converge pretty closely, they don't touch; on this pic, they're fusing together. Also, her right sternocleidomastoid wouldn't show because it's not being stretched.

Generally, though, the lines are now too uniform. Add some lineweight so there's an idea of where mass is and which lines are more important and prominent. Also, have you drawn out the figure outside the cropped box? If you're cutting off part of the hand and torso, it'll hinder you as you draw.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's your set up? Wacom tablet and Photoshop?

The reason I ask is it looks like you work at 100% all the time making your lines hard and bumpy.

also at this time maybe crop your drawing after you draw the figure,that way you can draw through your forms

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The neck is a tube. Its base is the circle of the first ribs.

Overal tube of the neck.
    Sub-tube of the windpipe.

crossing and wrapping around that are the sternomastoids, from the base of the skull behind the ears to the collarbones.

At the pit of the neck the neck tube is withdrawing backwards while the sternomastoids are advancing forwards.

The neck tube vanishes inside the circle of the first ribs. The sternomastoids connect outside the circle. That gap creates a characteristic look.

The traps are behind everything, but reach around out by the deltoids and make it to the outer third of the collarbones.

Don't stress the sternomastoids too hard. The way some bodybuiders overwork their pecs or biceps, some artists overemphasize the sternomastoids.

The circle of the fist ribs is a key landmark in drawing the neck. It is the hole at the top of the ribcage. It starts low in front but goes high in back, through C7, the cervical lump at the back of your neck.

Last edited by jfrancis; December 8th, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jfrancis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had some things to attend to and then I was without internet on vacation. Thanks for the additional comments and help, guys, let's get to it!

I'm trying to get a hold on the structure of the neck, and I am making an effort at clearer sketch lines. Line weight is an issue and I'll work on it as we go on. My hands shake a lot, so any inking I do on a slick tablet ends up jittery. I switched from the pencil tool to the brush, hopefully this is easier to look at.

Are these close, as far as really basic structure goes? Get back to me and I'll do more for ya.

I forgot to draw the entire figure here, I will on future studies. It's time for bed right now

Last edited by Nateman742; January 3rd, 2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Fixed some mistakes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nateman742 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She has neck pains!

The circle of the first ribs has a thickness.

The windpipe goes inside it. The sternomastoids connect on the outside. That gap is a distinctive feature.

Don't forget the curve of the spine up the neck, (not a straight cylinder), and the fact that the spine basically goes up the back of the neck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.