First Post - Winter Encounter

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Post - Winter Encounter

A knight out to make a name for himself may have bitten off more than he can chew.

~~

This is my first post of a finished piece. This painting is a Christmas present for my brother-in-law. What do you guys think? I was so nervous about posting, there are some huge names and amazing artists here.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall I think this is quite impressive! I love the sense of atmosphere and the dramatic scale of things. There is definitely a nice amount of power captured there... the more I look the more interesting little effects I notice. The powder sprayed up by the dragon's feet landing, and all the size variance in the snow in the air really gives a sense of dimension and space. I also quite like the steel blue color scheme and the smooth shading.

There are only a couple points that get me. Namely, the fact that the dragon's tattered wing is along the same level as the jagged tops of the treeline- so initially I was a bit confused and had to look for a moment to determine whether the wing was actually draped -over- the first row of trees, so that they were closer than the far edge. Perhaps if the edge of the wing membrane was tightened up just a bit it would be more evident that it was closer? Also the dragon's left (our right) wing seems not quite solidly anchored to the rest of the form. Personally I think it makes more sense with dragons to have the membrane go further back along the body and attach at the hip, but since it's a fantasy design, that is of course all down to personal taste and not anything to worry about I think just adding some more shadow at the base of the limb so that it follows the same treatment as the upper forearm would help though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.