Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 190
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    768
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 583 Times in 203 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slig665 View Post
    Yay internet drama!

    Lets all stop drawing and define the term "artist" in such a way we can all agree.

    I vote you're not an artist until you're a mentally ill bisexual with at least one substance abuse issue. Oh yeah and you have to do some art. Doesn't matter what it looks like. The key is bisexuality, mental illness, and substance abuse.

    Also rockstars get to be artists. They do it all the time. Rockstar + shitty art = crowded gallery showing in LA. Brilliant!
    LOL, at least the past few minutes I spent, or should I say, wasted my time in reading this thread, at least this made me laugh. Don't forget you have to have some type of piercing, wear strange clothes, and be broke.

     


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Two Listen I've been reading your reply to orangehat for a while at the different moments now, and maybe I missed a few things but if I get what you're saying...

    I dont think you're opinion is slightly less than the demonstration in bold, i think its represented by it pretty well, which is: a person does something you dont approve of, and instead of just giving them a title that fits the action like most people would do (ex. a person kills, he is a murderer), you stripped them of an unrelated definition of them that others would normally assign them as before or after they committed the 'crime' (like saying they are not artists, or that she is not a ca.org member.)

    that's interesting, I never heard someone think like that.

    ..well that's if you were referring to what these artists did outside of art. However, depicting those things in art does not necessarily mean they would carry them out in real life. So you wouldn't be judging them on their life; its not their lifestyle you disapprove of, it's their art... that goes back to Not liking a different kind of art just because its not your type. I think you are contradicting yourself because earlier on you said an artist is just someone who makes art.

     

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:


  5. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 509 Times in 230 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    ...(ex. a person kills, he is a murderer), you stripped them of an unrelated definition of them that others would normally assign them as before or after they committed the 'crime' (like saying they are not artists, or that she is not a ca.org member.)
    Essentially yes. And it's probably important to note, that it's not like that all the time. If someone's being an asshole, I'll just call them an asshole. I find it perfectly fine to say "You're an artist who does stuff that offends me", just as much as I find it alright to say to myself "That talent is wasted". It's all the same to me. And I think that's the defining line. See, if I was insane, I would think that particular of my mentalities to be the be-all-end-all, and would disapprove of all other possibilities. But I don't. And sometimes I adopt them. It depends on the day.

    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    However, depicting those things in art does not necessarily mean they would carry them out in real life. So you wouldn't be judging them on their life; its not their lifestyle you disapprove of, it's their art... that goes back to Not liking a different kind of art just because its not your type. I think you are contradicting yourself because earlier on you said an artist is just someone who makes art.
    See, this is where my writing style is very confusing. The first half of that initial post was written from a perspective of understanding that is in direct correlation with the basic functionality and accepted definitions for a majority of people. I did in fact say that an artist by simple definition is someone who makes art, but I did not specify that this was my particular definition. I said it because its what most people will feel familiar with, and it helps get a point across when you say them that way. I'd sound like a crazy person if I just spouted off my view of things and called it factually sound. My particular definition, I stated later - and have discussed thoroughly, as you know. And I acknowledge that my definition does indeed contradict the norm - the norm that I too, acknowledge as reasonable, and place on the exact same level as my own mentality.

    You are also correct to say that someone who would do that type of art, would not likely do it in life. But that doesn't really matter to me, I just don't like seeing it. I said it I viewed artistry as being decisions you make every day, that includes what you decide to create. And you're exactly right, it is no different than complaining about abstract or "modern" art. The key, though, is to keep in mind that most everyone has their preferences, things they like to see and things they don't like to see. The difference, I suppose, is that I would not create a thread talking about how stupid they are and how they're not artists for depicting things that I find "bad art". I would simply shrug it off as not my style, likely keep it to myself, and simply avoid that particular artist's gallery or sketchbook or whatever. Because that just makes sense, or maybe its just more my style, who knows. I would similarly expect people who thought my art was full of shit, to bypass it for similar reasons. That is fine.

    In short:

    I've got some opinions and ideas. They don't always make sense, if the sense you're operating under is the commonly accepted. I know that and I don't mind. I also acknowledge, and agree with a good majority of other people's opinions.

    I personally, think that an artist is defined by how they live their lives as a whole. (Or maye that's just their worth as artists, not really sure, but it's a judgemental opinion either way, everyone has them.)

    I also think that an artist is simply someone who does art. I don't really see a problem with accepting both as possibilities or definitions. Dictionaries do it all the time, have their 1. and 2. definitions for words. One I just like a little more than the other, but it's important for me to be open to all possibilities and definitions, particularly the commonly accepted ones - otherwise I'd be thoroughly unable to succeed in a social environment.

    I can say "An artist is defined by their life as a whole", you can say "An artist is defined by the fact that they do art." And I will respond "That is true, as well." Because depending on the environment and what's accepted, it is.

    You could look at it this way. Let's pretend that you're driving to the local...Best Buy? Sure, that'll work. You're driving to the local Best Buy. You're driving down a 45 mile an hour 4 lane road, and you being a good driver, are going the speed limit. You see some guy in a jeep approach you from behind real fast, you see him switch to the other lane without signaling, he speeds up to what must be 55 or 60 and right after he flies by you he switches again to your lane in front of you, again without signaling. You might say to yourself "Wow, he's an asshole." When in all reality, you know very well that he might not be an asshole. There may be an emergency, he may be late for work and he's on thin ice with his job as it is, maybe his turn signal isn't working, or something else that might cause you to do the exact same thing in his position. You acknowledge the possibility that he may very well be, not an asshole, and could actually just be a good guy having a bad day.

    But you're still going to call him an asshole while you're driving down the road, because by your definition at the moment in time, he totally seemed like an asshole.

    And there we go. Hopefully that illustrates an example in which you have a personal opinion, that might not make more than just a little bit of opinionated sense, and to yourself you call someone an asshole. But you also acknowledge that there's a lot of possibilities, and other people may not call him an asshole. And they too, may be equally right about the situation.

    And...yes. That will work.

    I think I'm done with this particular thread though, so if it's really that interesting to you please send me a PM on the matter. (At least, if you're looking for more from me.)

     

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:


  7. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think that about settles all my questions. I like your 'dictionary' example... you're right, a dictionary does show different definitions of one word. definition A might be more popular than B, or C, but doesnt make it more right or wrong. That's what discussions are all about, learning something new

    according to this thread, the popular definition of 'artist' here so far is anyone who does art (my thought is the person has to display some kind of ability or skill that an average man does not share, like the difference between a singer and someone who sings in the shower....). But if we were outside of ca, in an environment of people who aren't so fluent in the art world (I think we've all been there before), usually the general consensus of the word would be exclusive only to artist who make fine arts (where I am, noone would everrr think of comics/cartoons as "art", and few know what "illustration" is, let alone concept art). actually, Fine arts is even emphasized in the dictionary.

    And its really hard to tell those people they are "wrong" when you are the only one who believes differently. And I guess, they're not wrong because it is just a different definition of the word, and its true what Irishdrunk said, that its not something one should care about... so why did everyone get so riled up about what Daz said

    Last edited by nauvice; December 4th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
     

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:


  9. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    Daz, weren't you the guy who made that "Hail Satan" thread? And now you've made a "abstract art isn't art" thread?

    For a sorcerer, you have a remarkably low charisma modifier.
    Wow, did I get a laugh.

     

  10. #126
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    298
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 186 Times in 109 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If I understand this right the main 'problem' is that in Australia you can get an (almost) free education in about anything including 'non-figurative styles of abstract art' while at the same time this is not possible for figurative art.

    Well, that either means that the people granting the money think you should be able to pay by yourself or they think you won't get a decent job with it.

    When I was younger I did some education that cost me a fair amount of money.
    While others got kinda similar education for far less or even free.
    I didn't care, I paid back later when I had a decent job. Took me a while to get that job and in the end I'm in a different field of work but parts of that education still help me today.

    Another story. An old friend of mine plays guitar. He worked long days in a supermarket to pay for his study (classical guitar). That's less time for study. And he also gave lessons to beginning guitar students to pay the bills. Even less time...
    He nowadays gives performances throughout the world.

    So you have a harder time than all those people getting their study for free?
    Sure, you do. But you know more than them why you do it. It's good for determination. You don't do it for some piece of paper that might get you a job, you do it because you want to live a certain way.

     

  11. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 695 Times in 366 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    I dont want to make enemys here, I was sitting in a room with some people the other day who were attending a local art school on a government loan, the art schools mainly focus on non-figurative styles and i felt a bit ruffed up because they could go to art school to study their type of abstract art for free, but i have to pay.
    Have you ever heard the phrase, "you get what you pay for?" Keep that in mind when thinking about your problem. Do you know WHY you are expected to pay and they aren't? It's because you can expect that the jobs you can get (not will get, but can get) with a figurative illustration/entertainment artistic skill set will pay you. For them the chances are fewer and farther in between. By paying for your education you are investing in your future career. They are learning a trade that, while there are some exceptions, will most likely lead to them being unable to support themselves with their art and either continuing to rely on the same government that paid for their education or else having a job that entails asking people if they would like fries with their order. Try to keep that in mind

    Or else, if you HAVE to complain, make it about blaming your country for having a semi-socialist form of government that doesn't force EVERYBODY to pay tuition.

    I also noticed that technical drawing isn't taught as a primary subject anymore and got a bit disgruntled
    It is taught if you choose to go into industrial design, architecture, product design, or transportation design. You just need to stop whining and look in the right places.

    It wasn't until after I posted my comments that I reallised that since in America and the such you have to pay for pretty much all tertiary schooling that my comments might not make the world of sense.
    Being in Australia you still are expected to speak decent English. "I realized that since in America and the such" does not fit the bill.

    But yes, we have to pay unless we are totally awesome and get unbelievable scholarships and stuff. That's the way things are supposed to be. You receive a service, you pay for it.

    and as for being anti-jew jokes its because I was commenting on a 14year old girl from Israels sketchbook and was like "good on you" you know, then i read that and felt kinda pissed because its not wether your joking or not, its whether she percieves it as that or not.
    That's funny, I see people regularly bash Christianity. The fact that you have professed Satanism is an slap in the face to my faith. However, maybe I'm just used to it, because what pisses me off more is that you would come on here and behave like a total dipshit.

    yeah i admit my post was in anger, i wanted to stir peoples opinions about the subject and it was kinda stupid so what?
    So stop defending it.

    Some people say art is just the expression of emotion, and since we've all had a jolly old jump on this thread aren't we all somehow contributers to the artwork that is this thread?
    Dude, that is the lamest cop-out I've ever heard. First you bash art that doesn't match your funny little perception of it and then you push a line like that?

    Man I just with my art didn't suck so much
    Is this honest, or is it a load of bullshit you are trying to feed us to try and get back on our good side? If you are honest about this then go draw.

    If you are trying to get on our good side then let it go. In my experience (and I've got quite a bit of experience when it comes to being an asshat) if you let things go for a while and do your own thing the stuff that seemed big blows over. We aren't anonymous; we forgive, we forget, but first you need to shut up and let it go.

    This may go against your Satanist beliefs, but there's a lovely Bible quote that applies here.

    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    -Proverbs 17:28

    Last edited by Peter Coene; December 4th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
     

  12. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,873
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Or else, if you HAVE to complain, make it about blaming your country for having a semi-socialist form of government that doesn't force EVERYBODY to pay tuition.

    ....

    But yes, we have to pay unless we are totally awesome and get unbelievable scholarships and stuff. That's the way things are supposed to be. You receive a service, you pay for it.
    I just had to say something about this, I can't help myself. :]

    Peter, he does pay for it. Just like Canadians pay for their subsidized education. It's in our taxes, which are much much higher than American taxes. It also means, though, that the people who need the money the most pay the least. Makes sense to me?

    Considering that the United States has some of the most inflated education prices in the entire world, I think the sentence "That's the way things are supposed to be" is a bit much. Why else would CA be working to change that?

     

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:


  14. #129
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    bangkok/Berlin
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 945 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work
     

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:


  16. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 695 Times in 366 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    I just had to say something about this, I can't help myself. :]

    Peter, he does pay for it. Just like Canadians pay for their subsidized education. It's in our taxes, which are much much higher than American taxes. It also means, though, that the people who need the money the most pay the least. Makes sense to me?

    Considering that the United States has some of the most inflated education prices in the entire world, I think the sentence "That's the way things are supposed to be" is a bit much. Why else would CA be working to change that?
    Honestly, I don't care what political mumbo jumbo CA is working for.

    Education beyond high school was meant to be a luxury. The jobs that can be (or should be, if high schools would actually do their jobs) attainable with a high school diploma are the things that a nation needs: workers and laborers, blue collar positions. However, nobody wants to do those jobs because they see themselves as being above that. College was for the people who would run the industries that those people would work for. However, people say this and suddenly everyone rushed for college educations.

    As a nation we do not need a population of CEO wannabes. There are not enough jobs out there that are at the level to require college degrees, however, what we have ended up with is a nation of college graduates who have to settle for lower jobs than their degree should entitle them to. The employers, seeing that they can get college graduates, in turn unrealistically raise their standards.

    As it turns out, the more people with college diplomas, the more worthless those diplomas end up being.

    So why should we, as individuals within a society, pay for someone else's education? Those people unable to pay for something should just not get it, with the exception of those so gifted as to earn scholarships. Perhaps tuition should be lower, and perhaps if people stopped creating a demand with their willingness to pay money that they don't have it would be.

     

  17. #131
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,873
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Peter... I don't even know where to start!

    Firstly, really? *Really*? Do you honestly believe what you are arguing? Do you honestly think that all jobs other than CEOs only need High School degrees?

    Um, off the top of my head... Anyone in medicine, science, law, electronics, engineering, architecture, anyone wanting to teach anyone anything... All of these require higher education and all of them are fields where we desperately need more workers.

    I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. Countries that have subsidized education usually have education that is much cheaper than the US' in the long run, since most of the subsidized schools are not-for-profit, unlike in the states.

    I find it slightly ironic that your country is also the one country where diplomas are worth so much. I can get a job in Canada much easier without a degree, even though a similar job in the states would require one. And yet, Canada is the place where education is cheaper and is subsidized by the government?

    Your reasoning is preeeetty flawed on this count.

     

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:


  19. #132
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    WooHoo! Social ineptitude FTW!


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  20. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Honestly, I don't care what political mumbo jumbo CA is working for.

    Education beyond high school was meant to be a luxury. The jobs that can be (or should be, if high schools would actually do their jobs) attainable with a high school diploma are the things that a nation needs: workers and laborers, blue collar positions. However, nobody wants to do those jobs because they see themselves as being above that. College was for the people who would run the industries that those people would work for. However, people say this and suddenly everyone rushed for college educations.

    As a nation we do not need a population of CEO wannabes. There are not enough jobs out there that are at the level to require college degrees, however, what we have ended up with is a nation of college graduates who have to settle for lower jobs than their degree should entitle them to. The employers, seeing that they can get college graduates, in turn unrealistically raise their standards.

    As it turns out, the more people with college diplomas, the more worthless those diplomas end up being.

    So why should we, as individuals within a society, pay for someone else's education? Those people unable to pay for something should just not get it, with the exception of those so gifted as to earn scholarships. Perhaps tuition should be lower, and perhaps if people stopped creating a demand with their willingness to pay money that they don't have it would be.
    >> Name:  wooooosh.gif
Views: 437
Size:  2.0 KB

    I think a bunch of people in some of the recent threads here in the lounge could really benefit from a refreshing stroll around the forums instead of lurking behind their keyboards in the lounge all the time...

    Last edited by yoitisi; December 4th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
     

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:


  22. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    bangkok/Berlin
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 945 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I always thought that giving the general population free access to education was a good thing.
    I rather see the taxes spend on education than on some of the useless shit the governments burn the money on.
    Also giving poor kids who come from fucked up families a chance to make something of their life is never a bad thing,
    some people simply could not afford it.
    The general population is already stupid enough, making them pay more for education will result in more stupidity.
    In this modern world the only things that evolve are companies and products, the age of corporate evolution.
    While the genius minds, successful people, stars and leaders often fail to procreate because they are too busy
    working, banging or lining up cocaine or are too disconnected from the society to actually find a partner.
    I don’t see how we humans are supposed to evolve this way on the long run, so the least we can do is teaching
    the majority to read.
    Having the students pay some fees is not a bad thing tho, you can expect healthy young people to work in their free time.

    Last edited by Randis; December 4th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work
     

  23. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm for education, health and the emergency services being paid for so that everybody can benefit. Nobody should die of poverty or ignorance. Peter, doesn't it say, "Faith, hope and charity, and the greatest of these is charity"?

    or should we all "pass by the other side"?

     

  24. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 695 Times in 366 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Peter... I don't even know where to start!

    Firstly, really? *Really*? Do you honestly believe what you are arguing? Do you honestly think that all jobs other than CEOs only need High School degrees?

    Um, off the top of my head... Anyone in medicine, science, law, electronics, engineering, architecture, anyone wanting to teach anyone anything... All of these require higher education and all of them are fields where we desperately need more workers.
    Saying that we DESPERATELY need more workers in those fields is a bit of an overstatement. Also, I gave CEOs as an example and my point still stands. We have plenty of people in medicine, science, law, electronics, engineering, architecture, anyone wanting to teach anyone anything. What we need are mechanics, construction workers, carpenters, field workers, longshoremen, all those other jobs that people are likely to break their backs doing but we need them none the less.

    It takes one architect to design a house, the same design can be used on multiple houses, but it takes 20 workers with high school educations to build it. What happens when everyone wants to be the architect and nobody is the worker? Yes, a hospital needs Doctors and Nurses with degrees. It also needs janitors, cafeteria workers, and people to wash bedsheets and hospital gowns.

    I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. Countries that have subsidized education usually have education that is much cheaper than the US' in the long run, since most of the subsidized schools are not-for-profit, unlike in the states.
    Yes, however, in a place where having a bachelors degree is rare it is special. In a place where its the norm it has little meaning. When everyone is super nobody is. Those with Bachelors degrees in the country where everyone has the bachelors degree have no better opportunities than a person with a HS diploma in a country where everyone has HS diplomas.

    I find it slightly ironic that your country is also the one country where diplomas are worth so much. I can get a job in Canada much easier without a degree, even though a similar job in the states would require one. And yet, Canada is the place where education is cheaper and is subsidized by the government?
    I think this difference is because America still is a bit more demanding when it comes to everything. Many of us base our judgments on how hard a person works. If somebody is willing to work their butt off at a college where they paid through the nose just to get in, put themselves into debt while cramming for their degree, then they appear more desirable to bosses who might want to hire them. In a country where people don't need to personally pay for the degree and everyone gets one, how much do you think the degree is worth?

    Sure, they paid for it in their taxes, but they would be paying taxes whether they go to school or not. I remember hearing other students at my college on a regular basis using lines like "They are working us so hard but I can't just give up, I've paid too much already, y'know?" "I can't just quit now, I'd be stuck with all those student loans but no diploma!"

    Your reasoning is preeeetty flawed on this count.
    I disagree, its just different. My reasoning is that when you get something you should pay for it. If it isn't worth paying for then it isn't worth having. Asking everyone else to pay for it shouldn't be an option, and paying for somebody else shouldn't be mandatory.

    The fact that my reasoning is based in personal responsibility does not make it flawed.

    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    I'm for education, health and the emergency services being paid for so that everybody can benefit. Nobody should die of poverty or ignorance. Peter, doesn't it say, "Faith, hope and charity, and the greatest of these is charity"?

    or should we all "pass by the other side"?
    The line is "faith hope and love." And no, people should not pass by the other side, but that is once again a decision for the individual to make, not for a government to make for them. Charity is devoid of love when a government plays Robin Hood with other people's money.

    And from the OP's experience we can see what happens when a government subsidizes education; the education that becomes available on the government's budget is not the best available, but what the government deems affordable. And then suddenly people bitch and moan about not being able to get the type of education they wanted government subsidized, instead of just accepting that education has to be paid for.

    Can we not expect the same from health care? Its already happening in examples of certain pro-choice groups threatening to stand in the way of Obama's health care plans if they don't include allowing free abortions.

    People expect too much from their government as it is.

    Last edited by Peter Coene; December 4th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
     

  25. #137
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Um... if you pay for the degree, don't they need to pass people to justify themselves? Cambridge and Oxford are subsidised here. RUN AWAY!!!

     

  26. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Okay, let's rephrase that. I pay taxes that allow people to have tertiary education so that we can have nurses (they need a degree over here), doctors, lawyers, engineers, et al, because it contributes to the well-being of my nation.

    I like that arrangement because it lets poor kids that otherwise couldn't learn, to learn and grow. I paid taxes before I had a kid, while my kid was a kid, and now that she has grown, and I like that because I'm contributing to the wealth of my nation by contributing to its growth.

    If that's wrong, tough...

     

  27. #139
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,432
    Thanks
    643
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I always thought that giving the general population free access to education was a good thing.
    I rather see the taxes spend on education than on some of the useless shit the governments burn the money on.
    Also giving poor kids who come from fucked up families a chance to make something of their life is never a bad thing,
    some people simply could not afford it.
    The general population is already stupid enough, making them pay more for education will result in more stupidity.
    Agreed.

    Of all the things governments spend cash on education seems to be a good one.

    Regardless of moral issues, in a purely practical sense, smart people are always more of an asset than stupid ones.

     

  28. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Peter, the King James version is charity
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charity
    PS, the OP comes across as a moaner. Sorry...

     

  29. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Daz, weren't you the guy who made that "Hail Satan" thread? And now you've made a "abstract art isn't art" thread?

    For a sorcerer, you have a remarkably low charisma modifier.
    ye but i'm an evil sorcerer like Gargamel in the smurfs.

    Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work

    Peter, so what If i back off a little after realising my comments where over the top, I want to make friends here.

    Saying I'm a Satanist isn't like saying I'm anti-Christian, actually I kinda am Christian since I believe in Jesus and since I have faith in Jesus who died for my sins I dont expect myself to need to be perfect. IMO Jesus symbolises the fact that we can never know the truely correct answer so he died so we didn't have to, thus I believe that I can say Hail Satan untill i'm blue in the face, it doesn't matter; Jesus paid for my stupidity, thats the point (to me) I dont have to worry. Thats my opinion and you dont have to share it, but

    I'm not bagging out Christianity by saying hail satan anymore or less than I am by saying Cthuluu Fthagen, Hooray for Darth Vader or All bow before Dracula and the Nosferatu.

     

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazDaryl For This Useful Post:


  31. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well, it’s about time I showed you guys that I do more than troll around the lobby. Ok, I do that as well, but here’s proof that its not the only thing that I do.
    this is the first line to Peters Sketch book, haha, guess we just have to love him for the mean club wielding troll is.

     

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to DazDaryl For This Useful Post:


  33. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 695 Times in 366 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    this is the first line to Peters Sketch book, haha, guess we just have to love him for the mean club wielding troll is.
    I believe you meant "for the mean club wielding troll HE is." (Dropping the pronouns makes sentences confusing.)

    *Hits you with my troll club*

     

  34. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I always thought that giving the general population free access to education was a good thing.
    I rather see the taxes spend on education than on some of the useless shit the governments burn the money on.
    Also giving poor kids who come from fucked up families a chance to make something of their life is never a bad thing,
    some people simply could not afford it.
    The general population is already stupid enough, making them pay more for education will result in more stupidity.
    I'm with you brother; either we pay for education or we keep paying the cost of crime.

    I have people very close to me who are shop lifters, drug dealers, car thieves and stuff like that. I know if they had productive careers they wouldn't have the impulse to do these things. Currently I'm on welfare and I'm going to college on a government loan. The only industry I've ever managed to hold a job in was labour, but since I'm a weak little guy its been a bit difficult for me to get consistent work. I've never really fitted in with the corporate world and many of the factory jobs have been replaced by machine.

    There is almost NOBODY out there who wouldn't turn to crime if they lost all their money and couldn't get a job, you wouldn't think twice about beating the crap out of a well off gloating business man to take his wallet if you've been homeless and foodless for a couple week. You'd be like a hungry pittbull staring at a couple of stakes.

    When I watch stuff like COPs on TV i see people being arrested who turned to prostitution or drug dealing so they could be at home more often to raise they're kids since they lost their job at burger kind because they couldn't leave their kids alone at home to do a midnight shift so greedy fat people from well off family's could get their arteries filled with goo and fat thats going to cost the public billions in medical bills a few years down the track.

     

  35. #145
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    >> Name:  wooooosh.gif
Views: 437
Size:  2.0 KB

    I think a bunch of people in some of the recent threads here in the lounge could really benefit from a refreshing stroll around the forums instead of lurking behind their keyboards in the lounge all the time...
    oh god no, this is the perfect place! Do you really want them roaming free?


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  37. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So thats why it's .org........

    Attached Images Attached Images  
     

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:


  39. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 695 Times in 366 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    oh god no, this is the perfect place! Do you really want them roaming free?
    Actually, I've been contributing here and there to the crit center, but I only do my trolling in here, as there it seems akin to walking into a beautiful Cathedral to wipe my ass on a tapestry.

     

  40. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Posts
    2,854
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked 617 Times in 313 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Once I was playing with matches behind the garage when I was a kid living on long island, and I lit some leaves on fire and they were so dry and it was so windy out that the lit leaves quickly floated away toward some nearby trees. I tried to stop them but I couldn't. I was really scared. Luckily the trees didn't catch on fire and the floating leaves went out before they could do any harm.

    No, this story isn't in some way relevant to this thread. Basically, its just a story about me playing with matches when I was a kid.

    Did you guys see that new Muppet version of Bohemian Rhapsody? Cracked me up. Nice to see something done right for a change.

    Carry on.
    I miss you lol. You just might make me start being active on these threads again.

    Site
    BLOG

    SketchBook



    "it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"
     

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:


  42. #149
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post


     

  43. #150
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Next to Black Pyramid
    Posts
    865
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 84 Times in 46 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    i almost killed a man when he nievely presented to me something with bad proportions. I said "YOU FOOL!! *slams book down*, how dare you bring these foul proportions before me and PROCLAIM yourself and artist. This title is reserved only for the great and noble lords of VALHALLAAAA!!." This man came inches from losing his life that day, but luckiy he shit himself from the power of my presence. I have not seen him since, he is probably toiling away somewhere perfecting his proportions for our next encounter. I dont like to have to act in this way but if I dont standfast in this filthy world these people will overun us all.

     

  44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blahm For This Useful Post:


Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook