Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 190

Thread: Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work

  1. #91
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
    Well, this guy Jeremy Geddes seems to manage the whole thing quite well. Originally from New Zealand (I think), now in Melbourne, and hopefully not too abstract for your taste. the difference between him and you is a lot of hard work, and not a loan that makes college affordable (Hint: Conceptart.org, the Gnomonworshop, and others offer a lot of rather cheap training material, in addition to innumerable books and articles on all a good chunk of the related topics).

    That you can't get a loan to study exactly what you want in a college environment should not stop you.

    There is more to non-figurative work than than just expensive useless stuff, just look at graphic design and typography (for a start). That are topics that can be useful for your figurative work (for your texture work and also in a more abstract way), as well as for your life in general as books and websites allow for a lot learning to happen to you without being bound to a school or college with teacher type individuals to feed you everything.
    oh god jeremy geddes! he had a small exhibition in hong kong last month, along with ashley wood. was super awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.
     

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post

    Just look at how many people out there dog the art scene because of the prevelance of abstractism and we suffer because of it.
    How do we suffer from it?

    I don't know what it's like in Australia, but there are so many galleries around that take a wide array of art. You may not make it as a big name in New York, but you can have great success painting what you want if you just make sure you search for people and galleries with the same interests as you. It just takes a little looking.

    No one else's art is really having anything to do with your own success.

     

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, CO (near Denver and Boulder)
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 646 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dazdaryl View Post
    watch yourself idiot,
    bwahaaaaahaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaah!!!! Lol!!! Roflcopter!!!!1!111

     

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:


  5. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 508 Times in 230 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Edit: It's probably fair to note that several times in this post I say things such as "art is _____". Please note that this, obviously, is personal opinion and so far as you are concerned, I might as well be from the planet Teegeeack.

    The term..."artist", is not a fancy title. It is not a goal, it isn't a label anyone here should be concerned about in any way, shape, or form. It is, by incredibly simple definition, someone who practices "art". Which I think we can all agree, is up for a lot of interpretation.

    This may just be my definition of the word, but I would share it with the community for any who are interested.

    Anyone can call themselves an artist. Most everyone in the world has the capacity for creativity, and the ego to proclaim themselves as whatever they want. It is, however, as with most everything else -based singularly on their opinion or interpretation of the term.

    It is a term, it isn't anything to worry about, and it is NOT something you should be trying to "achieve" in life. I can't stop anyone from calling whatever they want, whatever they want...but in truth, whether or not anyone thinks you're an artist, a great artist, or full of crap, it matters not.

    In my opinion, what makes someone an artist is much more than their artwork. Maybe it's completely and utterly asinine, but there are some people who can produce AMAZING artwork, of mindblowing quality. But I do not consider them artists, because of the way they live their lives.

    An artist to me, is more than someone who doodles or paints, it is more than what you produce on paper for the sake of appealing to the senses. What makes one an artist, is how they live their lives, and in what they decide to do every single day.

    The handling of a difficult moment in life with a friend, how you treat your girlfriend, the way you carry yourself while walking around Wal-Mart, the way you control your emotions, and how you deal with your own failures. Depending on how you do it, it can almost all be an art form in and of itself. How you choose your words when you're in an argument, how you avoid certain topics and approach situations with your family members to try and maintain a sense of "peace" in the household - it's practically a dance, a very delicate balance that takes effort, practice, control, and experience to maintain. Just like what we usually call "art".

    Art is...beauty, and I suppose you could say it's similar to religion. To say one is "religious", can be completely and utterly different from saying they're a good person. Similarly, one can easily be labeled an "artist" when the ONLY decent thing about them, is their paintings. Hardly beautiful, and hardly worth worrying about.

    Personally, I care not whether people define me as an artist. I don't even really care if I'm able to refer to myself as such. It doesn't matter how many people respond to your posts, it doesn't matter how much money you're making, it doesn't matter how talented you are or aren't, it doesn't matter if every single painting you post gets criticized beyond reason, or that the people whose art is frequently displayed in museums makes no sense. And while I would like to do what I do as a career one day, and be acknowledged as a talented artist and a powerful force in the artistic community - even that, really, does not matter. It won't stop me regardless. All I want is to be able to put my various talents to use in some way as to make my wife happy, so that at the end of my lifetime I know they were not wasted.

    Maybe that makes me an artist. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe my defining an artist with all of the above, and striving to be that, makes me completely and utterly hypocritical as per the opening statement to this post. I'd like to think that I can safely call myself an artist without being hanged by an angry mob of city folk, but if I can't that's ok. And if some jerk who spreads feces on a canvas prior to painting over it with splatter marks wants to call himself the best artist in the world because he's reaching multiple senses, that's fine. Because the title isn't my goal, and it never should be.

    Last edited by Two Listen; December 3rd, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
     

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:


  7. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    755
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 757 Times in 47 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    Ok so this is a bit of a rant but here goes....

    Nothing shits me more than people who want to call themselves artists, but they cant draw or create anything at a reasonable enough standard that no one gives a damn wether its unique or not.

    Like people who cant get their proportions right that want to think themselves great artists, great idiots I say; tell these people they're stuff is rubbish and that 2hours of practice a week doesn't cut the mustard and they give you and the cold shoulder like theres something wrong with what you said.

    Guess what, real Artists dont give a damn if you tell them they suck, why? because they dont need someone else to verify their Artistic existence, their artwork speaks for itself, so if you feel upset in some way by criticism then the chances are your not an Artist.

    And theres heaps of them out there; most of the stuff in art galleries out there seems to exist sourly to test my gag reflex.

    I'm far from the best artist and but usually the first to admit i have a couple years of solid practice before I can truely be an Artist with a capital A.

    I wish someone would just throw all that Modernist, Abstract, Proportionless, Perspectiveless, Compositionless junk in a dumpster and burn it.

    The truth of the matter is, no matter how much rubbish these hobbiests throw at us, no matter how much they corrupt our educational institutions telling people they can be Artists without practicing the fundamentals they never will be and should they be then the word would have lost all meaning.

    Saying that you can be an Artist without understanding form, emotion, perspective, tone or composition, is like saying you can be a doctor without practicing medicine.

    If the idea of someone telling you your not an artist offends you; your not an artist. Your art should do all the complimenting you need, until then your just practicing.

    If you told an plumber hes not a plumber after he's spent a day fixing taps and pipes, he wouldn't be offended, he'd just think your an idiot.

    Saying your an artist because you spent a few days drawing pictures, taking photos or using a computer program, is like saying your an explorer, a mountaineer, a baker and a travelling merchant for walking up a hill to the shops to buy a loaf of bread.

    If you dont agree with what I'm saying then I dont care, after all, I'm a public speaker, a novelist, an international author, a politician, a philosopher and a website designer just for writing this message.


    I gotta get back to practice.
    -Daz
    Cut your hair. You'll feel smarter afterwards.

    Thanks

    M

     

  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marko Djurdjevic For This Useful Post:


  9. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 311 Times in 103 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    Armonah, you're right but doesnt mean one cant be considered either a great artist or a terrible one
    That's the point I was trying to make, actually Calling yourself an 'artist' doesn't automatically mean you're good. If you refuse to call yourself an artist until you've met some arbitrary standard, well, each to their own I guess. It's good to have goals, but do you really have to set yourself one that makes you annoyed at the people around you, even after you've reached it?

     

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:


  11. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, CO (near Denver and Boulder)
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 646 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic View Post
    Cut your hair. You'll feel smarter afterwards.

    Thanks

    M
    You see what you are doing Daz!? Its people like you that give the rest of us long-haired people a bad name!

     

  12. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,238
    Thanks
    889
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Artist is a romantic tag. As soon as I felt like I sort of knew what I was doing I became embarrassed every time someone referred to me as an artist. Call me anything, but late for dinner, but don't weigh me down with the artist title.

    Last edited by bcarman; December 3rd, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
     

  13. #99
    Straight Edge Ryan's Avatar
    Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 709 Times in 207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    He does it because he has some strange Attentive compulsion to wind you up and it works, usually he gets himself into more trouble than its worth...
    well actually I was just trying to do a cheeky joke to break up some of the tension and extensive paragraphs going on in this thread but apparently it had the opposite effect. Can someone look up the definition of "irony" for me?

    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

    My Sketchbook
     

  14. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    533
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 774 Times in 261 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Daz, weren't you the guy who made that "Hail Satan" thread? And now you've made a "abstract art isn't art" thread?

    For a sorcerer, you have a remarkably low charisma modifier.

     

  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:


  16. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,543
    Thanks
    2,307
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
     

  17. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, NJ
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    thread ist krieg
    This thread needs :Wumpscut: as theme music.

    "Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com
     

  18. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco/Norway
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 246 Times in 116 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So Daz, one minute you say you are not serious and that you are trolling, which basically should set you up for at least a ban from the lounge.

    And then the next post is the same ridicolous yapping that people doing art that doesn't fit your short list of criteria are hurting art in some way, by reducing the focus on traditional skills.

    So basically, you're trying to rationalize your opinions by claiming you don't have them, only to wait a few hours and then state the same opinions with the type of indignation that just can't be faked.

     

  19. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Malaysia o/`
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    976
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kab View Post
    So Daz, one minute you say you are not serious and that you are trolling


     

  20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:


  21. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Also, note that people who are actual producers of X, rather than consumers, are almost always uninterested in definitions of what is and isn't X, and are usually consumers of A through Z.
    I was having an interesting discussion today which reminded me of that.

    "It's not that I don't agree, it's that I don't CARE. This is a problem that solves itself; they'll either drop out, or they'll actually start to learn something, or they'll manage to bullshit their way through to graduation and then never be heard from again"
    but what if that problem doesn't solve itself? In fact what if that problem grows and becomes a modern definition of X or even the entire alphabet?

    We dont have to CARE for as long as it doesnt affect us, but what if it grows to a point that it does? Because we are not the producers of X, yet that's what is in demand. And we only have a choice to either also start making X just to make a living, or continue to make our different letter, but watch it fail compare to how well X is doing. And we should be disappointed because X sucks and should not be tolerated.

    A healthy Industry is something that has room for all the alphabet, some letters are more popular than others because everyone has preferences, but an industry will crash and burn if one letter grows too large and takes over. Especially if its X, because to me, X is not just a different genre, but a disease, corruption, problem, X = a work that wont pass the test of time, because it lacks quality.

    This analogy might be confusing so I should follow with examples:

    The game industry crashed before Nintendo, because companies were only churning out quick-cash crap.

    The comicbook industry is not as huge and profitable as it used to be. Same with the American 2D Animation industry. because, i think, both of these industries were defined by 3 companies(Marvel/DC, Disney). And if those companies arent as great as they were before, neither is the industry.

    Did you know Tom York gave both Kanye West and Miley Cirus the cold shoulder when they wanted to talk to him? Its a bit rude but I cant blame him, because they are a part of the Music industry's X, and lately that letter has been getting way more airtime in media. X is in more demand than Radiohead.

    Its a matter of taste by the (ignorant) consumers, sure. But we are not the consumers, we are part of the alphabet and we would cheer X on, even if its not our own, but like I said, X doesnt care for quality in itself, so we should hate it.

    Also I think we already know this, but I have to stress it out: An industry (the whole alphabet) depends on the money of the ignorant mainstream (the only supporters of X because they dont know any better) to flourish, but an industry will only survive for decades because of the hardcore critics and makers who take it seriously, and they all hate X, because if we all supported X, the industry will burn the moment people realize how much X sucks.

    Last edited by nauvice; December 3rd, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
     

  22. #106
    Straight Edge Ryan's Avatar
    Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 709 Times in 207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    ALSO what kind of troll discourages jew jokes on the grounds that it might be offensive to other members? Isn't a trolls job to offend other members?

    No no none of this is adding up at all!

    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

    My Sketchbook
     

  23. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    It is a term, it isn't anything to worry about, and it is NOT something you should be trying to "achieve" in life. I can't stop anyone from calling whatever they want, whatever they want...but in truth, whether or not anyone thinks you're an artist, a great artist, or full of crap, it matters not.
    well... screw the point of criticism and training then, fuck my life Edit: Someone else also said that before, that its not what other people think that defies us as >great< artists. But to a certain extent it is... I can say Im a blue man with wings, but if no one else around me agrees, is it true?

    In my opinion, what makes someone an artist is much more than their artwork. Maybe it's completely and utterly asinine, but there are some people who can produce AMAZING artwork, of mindblowing quality. But I do not consider them artists, because of the way they live their lives.
    .
    Im confused... in the same breath that you're saying anyone can be an artist. You're denying those who create art because they don't live a life that you would personally define as an artist's life?? could you clarify?

    Last edited by nauvice; December 3rd, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
     

  24. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco/Norway
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 246 Times in 116 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    ALSO what kind of troll discourages jew jokes on the grounds that it might be offensive to other members? Isn't a trolls job to offend other members?

    No no none of this is adding up at all!
    I don't think Daz is a troll, I think he saw that his opinions were stirring people up and thought it would be an easy way out "I was only joking to pull your chain guys, I don't really think art that don't fit my criteria is purely ornamental, look at how I was trying to make my opinions more xtreme and stuff"

     

  25. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I dont want to make enemys here, I was sitting in a room with some people the other day who were attending a local art school on a government loan, the art schools mainly focus on non-figurative styles and i felt a bit ruffed up because they could go to art school to study their type of abstract art for free, but i have to pay.

    I also noticed that technical drawing isn't taught as a primary subject anymore and got a bit disgruntled

    It wasn't until after I posted my comments that I reallised that since in America and the such you have to pay for pretty much all tertiary schooling that my comments might not make the world of sense.

    and as for being anti-jew jokes its because I was commenting on a 14year old girl from Israels sketchbook and was like "good on you" you know, then i read that and felt kinda pissed because its not wether your joking or not, its whether she percieves it as that or not.

    yeah i admit my post was in anger, i wanted to stir peoples opinions about the subject and it was kinda stupid so what?

    Some people say art is just the expression of emotion, and since we've all had a jolly old jump on this thread aren't we all somehow contributers to the artwork that is this thread?

    Maybe.. Maybe not.

    Man I just with my art didn't suck so much

     

  26. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 536 Times in 220 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Man I just with my art didn't suck so much
    Then USE the opportunity to learn from others here, instead of wasting your time complaining about something you can't change and which is irrelevant anyway.

    There's a huge amount of educational content - and people only too willing to share information about how to draw and paint better - on this site. Go read it, and practice.

     

  27. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yay internet drama!

    Lets all stop drawing and define the term "artist" in such a way we can all agree.

    I vote you're not an artist until you're a mentally ill bisexual with at least one substance abuse issue. Oh yeah and you have to do some art. Doesn't matter what it looks like. The key is bisexuality, mental illness, and substance abuse.

    Also rockstars get to be artists. They do it all the time. Rockstar + shitty art = crowded gallery showing in LA. Brilliant!

     

  28. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 508 Times in 230 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    well... screw the point of criticism and training then, fuck my life Edit: Someone else also said that before, that its not what other people think that defies us as >great< artists. But to a certain extent it is... I can say Im a blue man with wings, but if no one else around me agrees, is it true?
    "Man with blue wings" is nowhere near as open for interpretation or subject to personal opinion as the term "artist" or "art". Assuming we're talking about the english language, to be fair.

    You're right, to a certain extent, how we are identified in this world is very dependant on what other people think of us. But the point is, that regardless of the world, you need not impress in order to be a worthwhile artist. It is fact, in my mind, that everything has a place. Sometimes its just a place that's stupid as hell to a lot of people, but it still has a place.

    Criticism is obviously helpful to us, as artists. We ask for it, for opinions, for advices - and they can help a great deal. But at the same time, if I post a picture, and I only take half of the criticisms into action, that is by all means my right as creator of the works and it makes no sense to do anything else. If I have a really cool idea, and everyone else hates it, I will still think it is a really cool idea and if I manage to pull it off, then I have succeeded. So long as my goal was not to please the world, yes? And really, to please the world is a relatively impossible dream, anyway, hence - its irrelevance. And if it is my dream, and makes me happy - then regardless of criticism, I must proceed forward, yes? What is the point of dreams, or goals - if you settle for anything less than exactly what you're striving for?



    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    Im confused... in the same breath that you're saying anyone can be an artist. You're denying those who create art because they don't live a life that you would personally define as an artist's life?? could you clarify?
    No, you've got it down, for the most part. I said it might be asinine, I meant it. It is likely confusing because the statement takes into account on one half, the overall scheme of things from a third-party perspective. And the other half, is based on my personal opinions. I personally have every right to judge people as artists for whatever reasons, it makes enough sense to me. And I also acknowledge that it doesn't matter to anyone other than me, my opinion, that is. And that's exactly how it should be.

    If I were to approach someone and say:

    "Your art sucks, and you are a jerk. You are not an artist in my mind."

    And they responded:

    "Thanks, friend. You are a tool - I am the very definition of artist, and will choose to live the entirety of my life with such a mindset."

    I would then reply with:

    "...touché."

    And we would then part ways, and we both, if it was what we were passionate about, would continue to do our work and wouldn't let eachother's existance or definition of "artist" bother us at all. At least, that's the general idea. Hopefully illustrating my view of just how pointless the term "artist" - or at least, getting upset over people using it, is.

    It's like...this thread, as everyone realizes by this point. It really doesn't matter in the end. Even the crap I've been spouting off, coherent, consistant, or otherwise, whatever it may be. I don't feel like I've gained anything, I don't feel like I've lost anything. And this is ok.

     

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:


  30. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    410
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 477 Times in 158 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    I can say Im a blue man with wings, but if no one else around me agrees, is it true?
    Well I agree, whether it's true or not....WHO GIVES A FUCK?

    Who am I to disagree with blue wingmen? Im certainly not the judge of who gets to be blue, let alone own wings. In fact, everyone can have a pair of wings while having blue skin. Spread the word and lower some standards, all are welcome!



    SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

     

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:


  32. #114
    Straight Edge Ryan's Avatar
    Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 709 Times in 207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So can we all hug and be friends now?

    I'm sending e-hugs and e-kisses. Feel the love people. FEEL IT.

    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

    My Sketchbook
     

  33. #115
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    So can we all hug and be friends now?

    I'm sending e-hugs and e-kisses. Feel the love people. FEEL IT.
    SPAMMER!



    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
     

  34. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I didnt mean artist, you're right that the word is really open to interpretation. However, the word "great" is an opinion that has to be shared with others (not everyone, you're right that you cant please everyone, but at least other people, especially those with experience to pass such judgment), in order to be true.

    And yes Irishdrunk, people actually DO care. That's why award shows exist though obviously its not the only reason people want to be great. People want to be great for a selfish reason; the satisfaction of knowing that others appreciate what you do.

    nice rendition of blueman

    Two_Listen It's like...this thread, as everyone realizes by this point. It really doesn't matter in the end. Even the crap I've been spouting off, coherent, consistant, or otherwise, whatever it may be. I don't feel like I've gained anything, I don't feel like I've lost anything. And this is ok.
    oh ok, I know you classified it as just your opinion, but Im just curious for an example, what artists with great art would you not qualify as such because of their lifestyle, and why? what about their life? Im not looking for something to debate about, just interested in knowing more about that thought.

     

  35. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 83 Times in 28 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I never thought this post would get so long...O_o

    Attached Images Attached Images  
     

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdBirdBirdX3 For This Useful Post:


  37. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 508 Times in 230 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    ...but Im just curious for an example, what artists with great art would you not qualify as such because of their lifestyle, and why? what about their life? Im not looking for something to debate about, just interested in knowing more about that thought.
    Oh, I don't actually know of any at the moment...

    Living in the middle of the midwest and having very little contact with well...any, other artists, outside of the "Interwebs". It's hard (well, probably...unfair, moreso than difficult) to judge people based on what you see on some forums. I just kind of assume there's at least a few assholes out there who happen to possess some great talent, from an artistic standpoint.

    I guess to toss out an example of one possibility, let's say that someone possesses some serious talent, and can render an idea with incredible style and realism. They choose to use their talent to depict vicious rape scenes, or in real life, they're having an affair or kick puppies or something. Beauty is...great, yes? I like puppies. The aforementioned, that would be terrible, and the exact opposite of beauty in my mind. And I would, as a result, not very much like to classify them as an artist. Or great. Talented? Yes. Talent...wasted? Yes. That's not great at all. That actually kind of sucks.

    And of course, I'd go about it realizing all the while that the majority of the population would still probably give them the title artist and perhaps some even would call them great, but not worrying about it too much either way. Just words, afterall, and it wouldn't have any affect on me or my artwork.

    Truly, it's likely just a small portion of my mindset as a whole and how I judge most everything. I do not like to look at just one aspect of an individual, I like to look at the individual in their entirety. People deserve that much, at least. And so when I look at someone's artwork, I also look at the person doing it. We are akin to our artwork, and like I said - for me, being an artist is what you do every day, all over the place. I see very little point as a result, to work incredibly hard on producing quality art and then turn around and be a terrible person. Art deserves better than that.

    Hopefully that makes sense. If it doesn't, nonsense is good too. It's just sense with a little something extra tacked on. So no worries.

     

  38. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 94 Times in 76 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    And I would, as a result, not very much like to classify them as an artist. Or great. Talented? Yes. Talent...wasted? Yes. That's not great at all. That actually kind of sucks.
    Soooooo....someone can't be an artist unless they live up to your arbitrary moral code? That really doesn't follow in terms of logic. Can someone be a barber if they are morally bankrupt according to your standards? A teacher? A musician? A parent?

    I can't believe I got pulled into posting in this thread. haha

    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

    My Sketchbook

    My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.
     

  39. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 508 Times in 230 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOrangeHat View Post
    Soooooo....someone can't be an artist unless they live up to your arbitrary moral code? That really doesn't follow in terms of logic. Can someone be a barber if they are morally bankrupt according to your standards? A teacher? A musician? A parent?
    I get the feeling it is difficult to accept the multiple occassions in which I've ackonwledged very blatantly the possibility of this mentality being asinine, hypocritical, and/or nonsensical.

    Allow me to demostrate my understanding, in the grand scheme of things, of what my mentality is actually able to affect beyond my own happiness. Demonstration will end when the bold text does.

    You question my posts. You are not a member of these forums.

    Did it work?

    ...point being, no. It does not make complete sense. Nor does that matter, to me. It feels good enough, and has not caused issue in my life or...anyone elses. And while I'd like to think my mentality is slightly less ridiculous than the demonstration above...well...it's not about what I think. At least not unless you want it to be. You don't, do you? Because if you do, you can send me a PM and I will send you pictures of puppies that are cute, because that is nice.

    Edit: Hopefully these posts' relevance to the OP, or rather, iterance of points already made and then explained further as has been requested, is somewhat maintained and doesn't make this look off topic. It's not supposed to be.

     

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •