Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    Not until I'm one of the featured artists on CA.org
    I agree with this entirely.

Bouguereau was such a hack.

And Frazetta? Man, what a loser.

Without that 45 x 74 pixel tag, you are nothing.

Restricting yourself to that train of thought as an artist is like wishing to be an Aladdin-style genie, man. ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER OF CREATION... iiiiity bitty living space. If that is the bar you're setting just to be considered a ~*~*~*~*REAL ARTIST*~*~*~*~, you need to get off of CA for a while and go check out what the rest of the art world has to offer, Jafar.

Last edited by Mock; December 2nd, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I aspire to be an illustrator, not an artist.

People that define themselves as Artists are just people who like to bitch!

"RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE,"

lol

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mock View Post
    I agree with this entirely.

Bouguereau was such a hack.

And Frazetta? Man, what a loser.

Without that 45 x 74 pixel tag, you are nothing.
    Well, in Dante's Inferno wasn't there a level of Hell that was actually no so bad which was reserved for the "Noble Pagans" like Aristotle and Socrates who didn't have a chance at Heaven because they had no way of knowing about Christianity? Maybe there's a level of not-artist status that these guys have achieved...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    and know what else pisses me off? JEWS
    Whatever your intentions may or not be with that statement,...
    you fail.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone can claim to be an artist, it’s not some title of respect that you have to
    earn first and there is no judge who hands those out.

It’s just a word and the general impression this word gives people is that you are
    poor or a looser or both. Artist is such a vague word, it does not even remotely
    hint what the person does, it could be a cartoonist, a mime or one armed blind
    singer asking your for a $.

Honestly, I could not care less what others call themselves. People claim shit all day,
    fast-food restaurants claim to have healthy food, politicians claim to tell the truth,
    husbands claim not to have affairs, some claim to be connected to god, others claim
    to have been abducted by aliens, parents claim to be always right and kids claim to
    know it better. You claim that some don’t deserve to be called artists and I claim that
    giving a shit about it is worth next to nothing.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    DazDaryl, on a serious note, you might be interested in Jim Thalassoudis, an Australian realist, and his In The Real Art World blog. (Be warned, he's a funny bunny with not much patience for the ARC crowd.)
    To add; Ron Francis is also a bichin' Australian artist.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpling View Post
    To add; Ron Francis is also a bichin' Australian artist.
    Plus, there's always Weta in NZ, which is practically right next door for you Aussies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are good Australian artists, its just that our main schools all seem to kinda suck and all the artists that go there have told me they didn't really learn anything that made them better artists.

I'm all about post-apocalyptic land scapes, shotgun bearing demons, images of people abusing themseles and futuristic shoot outs. All the maccabre, horror and cyber-punk future stuff. Dont really like much else. If I had my way, movies would be nothing but horror, explosions, fight scenes, blood and comedy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well then I guess we can all be glad that you don't have your way.

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some people expresses themselves in a figurative manner, others not.

Some people mistify what they do, others no.

Some people do it for the money, others no.

So, why canīt be friends?

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are good Australian artists, its just that our main schools all seem to kinda suck and all the artists that go there have told me they didn't really learn anything that made them better artists.

I'm all about post-apocalyptic land scapes, shotgun bearing demons, images of people abusing themseles and futuristic shoot outs. All the maccabre, horror and cyber-punk future stuff. Dont really like much else. If I had my way, movies would be nothing but horror, explosions, fight scenes, blood and comedy.
    as if movies werent already boring enough!
    i feel the exact same way about the stuff you like as you do about the stuff you dont like. what does it all mean???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    come on guy, i was just letting off some steam. All I want is to see is some good stuff in my local art gallerys, but its all so bad .

Formless and non-Figurative art has uses like in Fabric design, its just that the emphasis is on the formsess abstract stuff to the point here in australia that there are very few good figurative artists. you can even take out a near interest free loan with the govt to study the non-figurative styles of abstract art i despise, but you cant take get the same treatment to get proper training a figurative artists.

Understanding that you get a better idea of why i felt so fumed about it, I know in many countries like America you have to pay upfront to study at college but in Australia you can pretty much study anything but figurative art without a penny in your pocket., i think if you understand that you'll understand why i get so fumed about the non-figurative styles.

Its also quite possibly why lkjhgfdsa thanked me for my post, because he probably knows about the degenerate state of the Australian art scene, in that it ONLY funds the non-figurative styles.
    You worry too much... there are some great Aussie artists here on CA.

Example; http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103626

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All play and no work makes Daz a dull boy. Watch 'Breakfast at Tiffany's', that'll put a smile on your face!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Poshspice. I prefer Blake Edwards "Skin Deep". Makes me guffaw!!!

Not terribly highbrow, though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I had my way, movies would be nothing but horror, explosions, fight scenes, blood and comedy.
    Lighten up, smell the flowers.

Then we wouldn't have "Amelie" which despite my preference for sci fi, fantasy, horror, historical epics etc may actually be my favourite film. And it's a romantic comedy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

Audrey Tautou is awesome. I would cheerfully watch her make toast for two hours.
    Despite that, she is predictably excellent in one of the best films ever made, go see it.

Tossup between that, "Aliens" "Gladiator" and "The Matrix"..

Or indeed "Angel-A", "Leon" director Luc Besson makes a happy and criminally underrated comedy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473753/
    Edit: Am I the only person who actually saw that film and liked it? I thought it was really good..Ho hum.

Seriously, go watch it. If you don't he'll just be exec producer on more "Transporter" films and then it will be kinda your fault.

Last edited by Flake; December 2nd, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To paraphrase myself:

Those involved in the creative arts are overly sensitive little bitches that think their work should be considered more than the shit from a demented imagination and for someone to do so little to earn the right to call they shit "art" just encourages the shitty-ness of their shit, thereby devaluing our shit with their shit work that was developed by the shit they think is art when it's just regurgitating the shit seen in the art world, just to make a profit and have no inherent artistic value and contributes nothing but shit.

Or something like that.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait! 27 posts in the new sb and 7 in the old, since October 2008?

I'm hungry *wanders off to make chilli*...

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Again, this is the "fan attitude" I keep talking about. I guarantee you, the people who actually make the stuff you like, like the stuff you don't.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

25. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know why you guys take me so seriously, dont you understand what i'm doing?

I'm taking an opinion I have and then writing about it in rapidly exaggerated proportions.

Lets say we watch a movie, I dont like the movie, So i say to you "this is the worst movie ever, so I'm going to fill my car up with snakes, tarantulas and funnel web spiders, then I'm going to fill my pants with dynamite, cover myself in petrol, get in the car and drive as fast as i can towards a brick wall, put the plastic bag over my head before hitting the brick wall and then die in a massive explosion, bitten by poisonous snakes, taranchulas, flamed by petrol blowen up by dynamite, suffocated by a plastic bag and mangled from the car accident.

I'm not really going to do that, I'd just be trying to tell you i dislike the movie.

you know what i mean?

For example I'm not actually capable of banning all films that have 3 explosions or less, I'm just telling you in my own way that i like movies with explosions.

I do it because I have some strange Attentive compulsion to wind you up and it works, usually i get myself into more trouble than its worth...

anyway, I've changed all my opinions since when i first wrote this thread, and I've decided I want a bed spread with the works of William De Koonig.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh yeah and there are some awesome aussie artsts on this site but they dont get the attention they deserve

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, all well and good, but you should still read this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=148912

I don't know why this hasn't been stickied yet...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oni is entertain by this thread, he is happy

MORE MADNESS!!

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude this thread is trippy brahhh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Well, in Dante's Inferno wasn't there a level of Hell that was actually no so bad which was reserved for the "Noble Pagans" like Aristotle and Socrates who didn't have a chance at Heaven because they had no way of knowing about Christianity? Maybe there's a level of not-artist status that these guys have achieved...
    This could be where all those American Indians ended up who didn't hear about Jesus for 1,492 years!

Aristotle and Socrates must have been rather perplexed. . .

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you for real?

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and know what else pisses me off? JEWS
    i cant tell whether your joking or not, watch yourself idiot, there's kids on here that dont need to feel marginalized.

Try using your head, theres kids on here from Israel just trying to learn about art that don't need to be exposed to that on this website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a friend who does abstract art, knowing full well what she does is shit. She told me, while we were doing anatomical studies, that she dunked a bunch of marbles into paint and rolled them over her canvas. She got $150 for it. Not only could she believe someone actually wanted that piece of garbage, she was surprised when they paid $150 for it. I mean how wrong is that? To do a piece of art work and know it's shit before you're even finished doing it?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i cant tell whether your joking or not, watch yourself idiot, there's kids on here that dont need to feel marginalized.

Try using your head, theres kids on here from Israel just trying to learn about art that don't need to be exposed to that on this website.
    He does it because he has some strange Attentive compulsion to wind you up and it works, usually he gets himself into more trouble than its worth...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should watch 'Local Colour'.....you'd like that movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a friend who does abstract art, knowing full well what she does is shit. She told me, while we were doing anatomical studies, that she dunked a bunch of marbles into paint and rolled them over her canvas. She got $150 for it. Not only could she believe someone actually wanted that piece of garbage, she was surprised when they paid $150 for it. I mean how wrong is that? To do a piece of art work and know it's shit before you're even finished doing it?
    nothing, abstract art has its places. art which has form and perspective rarely looks good on surfaces that are not flat, such as fabrics, abstract patterns and the like look quite good on curtains, but a rembrandt print curtain would look quite strange.

My problem is that the traditional skills are being neglected; technical drawing has been pushed aside for CAD programs, figure drawing has been completely shunted because its easier and quicker to train artists in abstract disciplines, the art of vehicle illustration has been pushed away because people think they can get the same or better results on a 3d computer program.

The truth is that computer programs will not suffice and cannot replace the skills that drafting brings. Is this the end of invention and innovation because the populace will no longer be able to conceptualize their ideas with ease?

I'm trying to talk about an attitude that is destroying society, its the attitude of people who say they "simply dont have it" , sure it'll take a good 5 to 7 years to train someone to be able to draw effectively; in perspective with anatomical precision, but thats the same time it takes to train a doctor, accountant, dentist or a lawyer and the ability to conceptualize and illustrate in 3-dimensions is just as usefull but the emphasis and training is minimal by comparison.

Just look at how many people out there dog the art scene because of the prevelance of abstractism and we suffer because of it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10