Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    You're so negative.
    All of those Satan books are getting to your head, man.
    I was kinda thinking that too. How's that whole Left Hand Path going?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Once I was playing with matches behind the garage when I was a kid living on long island, and I lit some leaves on fire and they were so dry and it was so windy out that the lit leaves quickly floated away toward some nearby trees. I tried to stop them but I couldn't. I was really scared. Luckily the trees didn't catch on fire and the floating leaves went out before they could do any harm.

No, this story isn't in some way relevant to this thread. Basically, its just a story about me playing with matches when I was a kid.

Did you guys see that new Muppet version of Bohemian Rhapsody? Cracked me up. Nice to see something done right for a change.

Carry on.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

4. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    kev i dont know why, but i thought that was a really good story, with a great ending, cheered me up

and relax guys, Im sure we all have goals an aspirations we want to reach before we consider ourselves accomplished as artists.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so sick of people who call themselves X but they're just posers they don't fit my definition of X only true appreciators of X know that X has to be X and anything that's not X sucks YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    (Insert random name of genre/subculture)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I'm so sick of people who call themselves X but they're just posers they don't fit my definition of X only true appreciators of X know that X has to be X and anything that's not X sucks YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Also, note that people who are actual producers of X, rather than consumers, are almost always uninterested in definitions of what is and isn't X, and are usually consumers of A through Z.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe Im wrong but I dont think that's what he meant

Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    Goals and benchmarks are great, but "artists" should be striving for their own approval first, not the approval of strangers

and I think that's all there really is to say on any of this
    This is what the OP is addressing, i thought... those who "self-approve" themselves as great artists a little too soon and call their weaknesses "abstract".

.... just trying to understand here, if we cant make fun of those people, I guess we should leave the many animuu noobs who post their work in Finally Finished, since technically its abstract art and if we point out its not done right, then we're ignorant.

Elwell I dont know what level you teach at SVA, but Freshmen students are fulllll of those people (not so much "animuu" drawings but warhol and basquiat rip offs who dont know/care for the meaning of abstract art, they just know they can already create it) I'd thought you would have agreed.... (those same students who're just 17/18 and have black/white pictures of them with cigarettes in their mouth on facebook, dress like hipsters, who think they're huge nihilist intellectuals but what comes out of their mouth is just bitching... sryy they should not be tolerated...)

ps: full is an overstatement, not trying to discredit the school's student body

Last edited by nauvice; December 1st, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post

Elwell I dont know what level you teach at SVA, but Freshmen students are fulllll of those people (not so much "animuu" drawings but warhol and basquiat rip offs who dont know/care for the meaning of abstract art, they just know they can already create it) I'd thought you would have agreed....
    It's not that I don't agree, it's that I don't CARE. This is a problem that solves itself; they'll either drop out, or they'll actually start to learn something, or they'll manage to bullshit their way through to graduation and then never be heard from again (and you should be thankful for those ones, because their tuition subsidizes yours). Not many of that type make it to the illustration department anyway, and the ones that do aren't interested in taking my classes.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, note that people who are actual producers of X, rather than consumers, are almost always uninterested in definitions of what is and isn't X, and are usually consumers of A through Z.
    That basically hits the nail right on the head, labels, such as genres and "abstract" artist etc., don't mean shit. And in the end, a genre or style is not more valuable than the next, even if you have a nice set of requirements in your head that a style fails to fulfill...

The sooner you realise that there is not always a direct relationship between style/technical ability/hours of practice and "value as art", the better off you'll be.

Last edited by kab; December 1st, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    Not until I'm one of the featured artists on CA.org
    ...KEE-riste...that's aiming a bit low, ain't it?

...okay...okayokayokayokay...I'll apolo...OW!

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae, LOL! Thanks for making me giggle.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ShroudStar For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I'm so sick of people who call themselves X but they're just posers they don't fit my definition of X only true appreciators of X know that X has to be X and anything that's not X sucks YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Elwell, say this really fast and see how many times you say "sex".

...Did I just lower everyone's IQ a notch? Good.

EDIT: Everything that can be said on this topic has been said on this topic, mostly in the "I Don't Get Art" thread, but elsewhere on this forum as well. The only point in making more of these threads is for some of us to practice refining what's already been stated. Lucky for me, I enjoy saving these quotes, so it's all good times.

Last edited by TASmith; December 2nd, 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's really egotistical of an "artist" to look down on "hobbyists" who may not practice 3 hours a day but still love to draw and paint and use that particular title to describe themselves. If anything, I would think artists should be glad that people are interested in the arts at all and actively partake in it. It doesn't matter to me how "serious" someone is with art. It's a common interest and instead of looking down on people and considering myself somehow better than they are, I see it as an opportunity to make a new friend or at least engage in a nice conversation.

I also disagree with the statement about if someone were a real artist they wouldn't get upset when someone says otherwise. It just shows that they are passionate about what they do enough to stand up for themselves.

Last edited by JJacks; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    I was kinda thinking that too. How's that whole Left Hand Path going?

Is it bad that, whenever this guy starts a thread, all I want to do is post dumb pics...?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^had no idea why he was getting this type of treatment until I checked his other threads. the OP has to be a troll...

I'm going to grow my hair long and think of the devil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    come on guy, i was just letting off some steam. All I want is to see is some good stuff in my local art gallerys, but its all so bad .

Formless and non-Figurative art has uses like in Fabric design, its just that the emphasis is on the formsess abstract stuff to the point here in australia that there are very few good figurative artists. you can even take out a near interest free loan with the govt to study the non-figurative styles of abstract art i despise, but you cant take get the same treatment to get proper training a figurative artists.

Understanding that you get a better idea of why i felt so fumed about it, I know in many countries like America you have to pay upfront to study at college but in Australia you can pretty much study anything but figurative art without a penny in your pocket., i think if you understand that you'll understand why i get so fumed about the non-figurative styles.

Its also quite possibly why lkjhgfdsa thanked me for my post, because he probably knows about the degenerate state of the Australian art scene, in that it ONLY funds the non-figurative styles.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazDaryl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://artrenewal.org/

You'll dig this. Seriously.
    YEAH I KNOW! I READ THE ESSAY!

its awesome So true that art dealers turned there back on the figurative styles because they could pump out the abstract junk that anyone could make so quickly and sell it at the same price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Formless and non-Figurative art has uses like in Fabric design, its just that the emphasis is on the formsess abstract stuff to the point here in australia that there are very few good figurative artists.
    Get some figure drawing books, stop complaining and start aiming to become Australia's next big figurative artist.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Give your government a reason to take interest in your art. I doubt anyone in your ministries or parliament browses this site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't call myself an artist, too serious a word I'm afraid. You seem to define an artist by the amount of hours and time spent on art, can you consider Damien Hurst an artist in this case? Or any other contemporary conceptual artist? Art is a very difficult thing to pin down.

I don't have a problem with people who call themselves artists, rather than focus so much on hating these people, why care about them at all? How does it effect your art and work? Why not spend more time on art than on ranting?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    You can't be a doctor without praciting medicine, but you can heal someone without being a doctor.
    Oh fuck.

FUCK.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH! < 3

31. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Formless and non-Figurative art has uses like in Fabric design, its just that the emphasis is on the formsess abstract stuff to the point here in australia that there are very few good figurative artists. you can even take out a near interest free loan with the govt to study the non-figurative styles of abstract art i despise, but you cant take get the same treatment to get proper training a figurative artists.

Understanding that you get a better idea of why i felt so fumed about it, I know in many countries like America you have to pay upfront to study at college but in Australia you can pretty much study anything but figurative art without a penny in your pocket., i think if you understand that you'll understand why i get so fumed about the non-figurative styles.
    Well, this guy Jeremy Geddes seems to manage the whole thing quite well. Originally from New Zealand (I think), now in Melbourne, and hopefully not too abstract for your taste. the difference between him and you is a lot of hard work, and not a loan that makes college affordable (Hint: Conceptart.org, the Gnomonworshop, and others offer a lot of rather cheap training material, in addition to innumerable books and articles on all a good chunk of the related topics).

That you can't get a loan to study exactly what you want in a college environment should not stop you.

There is more to non-figurative work than than just expensive useless stuff, just look at graphic design and typography (for a start). That are topics that can be useful for your figurative work (for your texture work and also in a more abstract way), as well as for your life in general as books and websites allow for a lot learning to happen to you without being bound to a school or college with teacher type individuals to feed you everything.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't need a professor to learn something. It's nice, but you can also take the initiative and learn on your own. There's a lot I learned from doing abstract art and traditional paintings that I easily combined with my independent study. So although it's discouraging it's not impossible to do what you truly want. You just have to use the resources available to you. Don't use the lack of resources as an excuse.

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and know what else pisses me off? JEWS

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DazDaryl, on a serious note, you might be interested in Jim Thalassoudis, an Australian realist, and his In The Real Art World blog. (Be warned, he's a funny bunny with not much patience for the ARC crowd.)

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this jive again! cool story

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I consider myself a person that has a very deep love for making pictures of what is in my head, I love designing and inventing and painting it/drawing it, for me it`s one of the most wonderful things I can do.

If THAT makes me an artist, fine... if that`s NOT being an artist... THEN I DON`T WANT TO BE AN ARTIST, I WANT TO BE THIS!

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ain't an artist. I just draw dirty pictures for fun.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daz, if you want to study figurative art but dont have the money for private school, why dont you organize a figure drawing/painting workshop? find some models, hire them to pose for awhile and get a bunch of other artists together and draw. its that easy! its not hard to find models....go to your local private art school and talk to the models there. or ask your friends to model...dont you know any hot chicks? find the hippies, hype up about how they will be contributing and be a part of art, theyll do it! and if you find a group of artists to do this with, you can all chip in to pay the model so it doesnt end up costing you all too much. or you can all model for each other.

im an art model, and speaking of levels of artists, i have only modeled at a high end art school until yesterday, i modelled for a small group of older people, most of who werent very serious about becoming an artist, yes they were mostly hobbyists. but man they treated me so much better, i made tons of tips, their energy was fabulous and free. i would model for a group like that any day above an art school..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    You can't be a doctor without praciting medicine, but you can heal someone without being a doctor.
    ...there go my plans of earning a Ph.D. in comparative spiritual art some day...

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
    Well, this guy Jeremy Geddes...
    Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10