Self-Proclaimed "Artists" who done practice or do any good work

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok so this is a bit of a rant but here goes....

Nothing shits me more than people who want to call themselves artists, but they cant draw or create anything at a reasonable enough standard that no one gives a damn wether its unique or not.

Like people who cant get their proportions right that want to think themselves great artists, great idiots I say; tell these people they're stuff is rubbish and that 2hours of practice a week doesn't cut the mustard and they give you and the cold shoulder like theres something wrong with what you said.

Guess what, real Artists dont give a damn if you tell them they suck, why? because they dont need someone else to verify their Artistic existence, their artwork speaks for itself, so if you feel upset in some way by criticism then the chances are your not an Artist.

And theres heaps of them out there; most of the stuff in art galleries out there seems to exist sourly to test my gag reflex.

I'm far from the best artist and but usually the first to admit i have a couple years of solid practice before I can truely be an Artist with a capital A.

I wish someone would just throw all that Modernist, Abstract, Proportionless, Perspectiveless, Compositionless junk in a dumpster and burn it.

The truth of the matter is, no matter how much rubbish these hobbiests throw at us, no matter how much they corrupt our educational institutions telling people they can be Artists without practicing the fundamentals they never will be and should they be then the word would have lost all meaning.

Saying that you can be an Artist without understanding form, emotion, perspective, tone or composition, is like saying you can be a doctor without practicing medicine.

If the idea of someone telling you your not an artist offends you; your not an artist. Your art should do all the complimenting you need, until then your just practicing.

If you told an plumber hes not a plumber after he's spent a day fixing taps and pipes, he wouldn't be offended, he'd just think your an idiot.

Saying your an artist because you spent a few days drawing pictures, taking photos or using a computer program, is like saying your an explorer, a mountaineer, a baker and a travelling merchant for walking up a hill to the shops to buy a loaf of bread.

If you dont agree with what I'm saying then I dont care, after all, I'm a public speaker, a novelist, an international author, a politician, a philosopher and a website designer just for writing this message.

I gotta get back to practice.
    -Daz

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DazDaryl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wut?

Just do what you do and don't get hung up in labels. There's room for everyone, no need to get all stressed out. Does it really matter if granny goes to sunday morning watercolor classes and fancies herself an artist? What should matter is your own view of yourself and your own sense of accomplishments. Don't fret over wanting to belong to a club that wont ever be as exclusive as you want it to be.

A guy can practice his whole life, becoming a perfect draftsman, but never having a creative thought pass between his ears, does he still fit in your definition of people who should be allowed to call themselves artists? Search the forums for a score of "what is art?" discussions...

You can't be a doctor without praciting medicine, but you can heal someone without being a doctor.

5. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And everyone can have an opinion and breed without having a +100 IQ

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me, an artist can be 2 things:
    1) A profession
    2) Someone who makes art

Neither of the two say anything about quality. You can be an artist and suck at what you do after all, whether you're a professional or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I half agree... I dont hate abstract art, there are some really impressive ones out there, but yes it is a shame that an abundance of them are filled with kitschy hacks. There's a lot of them at my school... They try to pass off their faults as a style, and others seem very good by having continuity in their abstract work... until you realize its a gimmick and that's all they're capable of, and for art students, they really don't step out of their comfort zone.

What grinds my gears is those kids are in art school for shallow reasons, not for any interest in knowing history, or culture or actually learning many ways to create art and express themselves, but they're there to live a bohemian "artist" lifestyle... luckily I hear most are weeded out by junior year because its too intense for them to handle.

Armonah, you're right but doesnt mean one cant be considered either a great artist or a terrible one

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always felt like an artist is a prestigious title which i'm trying to aquire.

Its just that in Australia its so difficult to get a proper art education because they're all about this formless crap. and a granny who does a sunday watercolour class would probably look like a master in comparison to the stuff that comes out of these government funded schools.

What this country considers art is absolutely disgusting and whats worse is that you can get government funding to study it, its all formless perspectiveless junk. It is completely unpragmatic and useless in everyway.

But if you want to study anatomy tone perspective and form you have to go to a private school to do so.

The ability to draw antomically and in perspective has the potential to benefit so many industries whereas abstract charcoal drawings are useless.

I'm just angry because none of the Govt. funded schools give artists real training in Anatomy, Perspective or Form, but they'll fund and pump out abstract rubbish. Degenerate Culture.

- Like i said, its a bit of a rant

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, take comfort in the fact that no matter what school you go to you'll have to put in way more hours getting knowledge through practice than what you get from your teachers. That is if you want to be good.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daz, when will you feel you are an 'artist'?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't bother with labels really. I'm hesitant to call myself an artist, I'd rather just say that I make art (or attempt to at least). If I do call myself it's an artist, it's because it's just easier to say. I hate this whole "Art vs art" debate, it's pointless. Just do what you want to do, and let others do what they like. Live and let live. No point in going around and telling other people they are doing it wrong, because what do you have that makes you so right? Nothing really, it's all subjective.

Just do what makes you happy, and don't worry about what other people say, because you'll never convert them and there is no point in trying. As long as you have some sort of an audience/market for the type of work you'd like to make in your career, you don't need to have the whole world be your audience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this another "non-figurative art isn't art" thread in disguise?

Can't everyone just get along without having to denounce the work of others as "crap", "rubbish" etc. just because it doesn't fit with their aesthetic or idea of what subjective "quality" of work should be considered "art"?

Edit:
    Daz, a majority of artists who are successful in those fields of art that you would like to burn can most likely draw figurativly just fine, but have chosen another style to bring their message across. And not to mention there are a whole range of artists who can't draw figurativly for shit, and still produce paintings that have more emotion and message than a whole stack of figurative paintings with lovely composition and technical execution.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres no such thing as a lovely composition that doesn't portray emotion.

All the non figurative bohemian abstracteers speak about this "technically skilled" artist that has no emotion, but i'm yet to see many works like this. Hell I want to know exactly what non-emotional art looks like. Its true there are some artists that overdraw the "hero stance", but all you gotta do is put them in a real life environment (eg Cafe, Park or City Street) and get them to draw what people actually do from observation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I have said in one of your previous threads...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is useless.

Not every Thought is great, but anybody can claim to be a Thinker. Same with Art.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daz, when will you feel you are an 'artist'?
    Not until I'm one of the featured artists on CA.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    So does that mean you don't consider anyone else an artist unless they produce work at that level?

Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Modernist, Abstract, Proportionless, Perspectiveless and Compositionless are aspects that can be attributed to all sorts of art, alot of which can contradict the other.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Surely you're an artist already? If you love expressing yourself through drawing, painting or whatever way you choose, then you are an artist. The word itself isn't a goal. It's not like being a bricklayer or a lawyer. It's great you have the ambition to want to be a 'featured artist', but that list isn't definitive. Everyone can be an artist, but not everyone makes a living out of it. The role of the artist is as diverse as the type of art that fills the world.

27. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got 2 sentences into what you wrote then I looked at your sketchbook. I was VERY impressed... by the fact that your work is anything but impressive yet you talk so much about crappy artists.

That's a lot of tldr about bad artists from someone who is fairly mediocre himself. To make matters worse, what you said has grammar that I would expect from Tarzan if he had a severe mental handicap.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah shit, looks like I need new business cards

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm beginning to think that this thread may merit resurrection of the "Worst of CA" thread. I'm not going to do it just yet, but putting the idea out there, just in case anyone has similar thoughts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I consider myself an artist!

I like to use glitter pens occassionally though!! hahaha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Complaining doesn't help.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Arbitrary requirement is arbitrary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artists hating artists on an art forum!?!

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

38. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha... please think out of the box, art is bigger than a site...
    That though is everything but creative really. Not than i don't have admiration for the great artists right there, but if you think Art with a capital A just fits in that header and nowhere else, you're so innocent it's ridiculous!

Haaa internet hate

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay okay... so we all get the point that mayyyybe the responses to this thread aren't all from the same perspective as the OP's.

Though I do know a few people who drink all day, drink all night, then do a grand maximum of 15 hours work on a 6 week paper (15 hours including walking about and buying pre-made materials / images) and hacking something together the night before hand-in, then calling themselves artists / designers... before hitting the booze all weekend again, then asking them why they chose art / design in the first place and getting the answer "Well.. I dunno, just felt like I should study something or something lawl."

THAT... is something I can totally agree with DazDaryl on.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://artrenewal.org/

You'll dig this. Seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're so negative.
    All of those Satan books are getting to your head, man.

Spend more time looking at amazing art that inspires you and respecting artists and less time worrying about who you hate and why.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Goals and benchmarks are great, but "artists" should be striving for their own approval first, not the approval of strangers

and I think that's all there really is to say on any of this

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

47. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I dont think this is a thread bashing other types of artists, but bashing the lazy incompetent ones who arent serious about art, they just fancy the title

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5