City Scapes in 3pt Perspective
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: City Scapes in 3pt Perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

City Scapes in 3pt Perspective

Hey CA.org,

I have a problem. I've just been assigned a perspective based final project for my sophomore illustration drawing class. We are supposed to draw the view of our college square in 3 pt perspective, using ink and rapidograph pens. The view is an aerial view, it's supposed to be around 300 ft off the ground.

Here's the problem: I don't really have much experience drawing in perspective. We've only been working with drawing 1pt perspective drawings in my drawing class, where we grid out square feet and draw our rooms. I don't really know how I'm supposed to go about doing this without a square-foot grid, or how I am supposed to measure such a large space and translate it onto a piece of paper and have it still be remotely to scale (or how to figure out what 300 feet off the ground even looks like). Our teacher is very much of the "learn by doing" school, he wants us to figure out stuff for ourselves. (Some people learn really well with this method, sadly, I don't think I'm one of them. If getting a C in math Freshman year of high-school taught me anything, it's that this is a really bad way for me to learn. I absorb best by watching other people do things--so naturally, this learn-by-doing has me in a panic.)

I'm going to talk to the professor about it, but he lives out of state and commutes, so he isn't available until the end of the week (when we have class) and we are supposed to show progress then. I'm at a loss.

Any general advice on cityscape drawing would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Wisteria; December 1st, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you know the area in feet or meters of the square, draw a plan view first. A plan view is the top down view, the height view and the side view. From this information draw the square at the angle of view you want it to appear. Then use a small angle equation to calculate the apparent size from three hundred feet. Depending on the size of the square, a small angle equation might not be perfectly acurate it is made for calculating the distance of a planet from the viewer by calculating the degrees of arc it takes up in the sky.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes - dpaint has the right approach - start with the plan view - and do a side elevation -then try a one point perspective from the ground view (natural view) below where you want your aerial view from. Then figure out how high 300 feet would be in scale - from that point just imagine rotating the square under you - place your third VP where you want it below the square (it would be deep in the earth's surface a few hundred feet probably). This will give you the important 3rd VP to take all the building's edges toward.
    Hope that helps! At least it will show your teacher your working on it - he can guide you better from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much, Dpaint and JeffX99. I appreciate the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.