Sketchbook: A sketchbook (Jan 3rd, 2014) - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: A sketchbook (Jan 3rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I was reading about your choice and I'm really excited for you and I'm definently keeping an eye on you! I wish you the best.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moaaaaaaaar post moaaaaaar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper_ thanks dude, i decided against the horizontal slit for something more evil lookin. Dunno if i achieved it or not, but i kinda dig it regardless.

DeathByChris: thanks man, they need work, but thats why im here

NiaLain: thanks dude, im gonna work hard and hopefully something worth while will come out of this.

inspectorsokar: heres some mooaarrr!

just a progress shot of where im at today, still pretty early, still figuring out colors and shit. long ways to go on this one. thanks for lookin.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Im looking for work! If your are interested, PM me and leave me your info!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    diggin the helmet on that last one, will be interesting to see where it goes, cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet updates man, you're taking big leaps forward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just put the hard time into it and you will be beautiful Keep it up!

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work man! Your character work is improving with every piece. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the energy in your poses and how slick your values look.
    However you seem to stay on the safe side with colors and backgrounds, maybe you should experiment a little!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shit i need my daily dose of ur awesome stuffs keep showing ur art and post more pencils they r good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal Fingers: thanks dude!

Teundeboer: i appreciate it man thanks!

NiaLain: no other way to do it, hard work and time, thanks!!

MacTire: thast good to hear, means a lot! thanks!!

Xelar: ya? i find that my poses are kind generic and dull sometimes, something im working on, but i appreciate that you like them! as for BGs and colors, well thats my main focus for the next few months.. and i guess forever.. but im workin on it, hopefully ill get it eventually.

inspectorsokar: pencils eh? yeah you know what i havent done some pencil stuff in awhile, i might do that sometime soon, cheers!

heres the sword gal again, i think im gonna leave it at this, might revisit it again later on, fix the swords and things. as for now, its time to start something new.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yuuup , you got awesome stuffs around here , i really love your digital painting
    Keep it up

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good man! The figure is awesome, great skin tones and rendering. I think it would really kick some ass though if your background was as tight as the figure, but that will come with bit of time and practice. Keep it goin man!

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff wreck. Though when you revisit this character you might want to reconsider the shading on the dress, at the moment the dress shading looks like the form it covers on the left is a raised knee towards the viewer, which can't be true as she is clearly wlaking with both feet on the ground.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving this last one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gasp! Hey man it's Kaetharas on DA, great sketchbook!!!!

Sketchbook

I am going to be amazing! .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The latest piece is very nice - really clean and controlled, maybe too much so, well no but ~

anyway

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, man.

edit: i posted a critique that didn't really make sense ._.

Last edited by henri; July 21st, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WaSsiM: thanks man!

Jasper_: ya i completely agree, i plan on going back to that one and workin on the BG a bit more. got bored with it, but in time, ill want to go back and touch up things.

MacTire: ya i think i see what ya mean man, thanks for pointin that out, ill fix that when i go back to it.

kidult: thanks dude!!

Marlo: thanks for lookin... again!!

dan liimatta: killed it a bit i know eh. strill tryin things, used a lot of soft brushes on that one, something i dont usually do. im a fan of the rough brush strokes in paintings. anyways thanks man!

henri: heh no worries man, all crits are welcome!

had a mini vacation. went tentin. was lots of fun. anyways back to work!

So i got a Spyder 3 pro. calibrated both my monitors. but one of them is still darker than the other. so im still not sure which one is right... guess ill just keep calibrating them till they match? it really makes it hard to tell when im using a dark thats to dark... so ill let you guys tell me.

and if anyone is familiar with using the spyder 3 pro and knows some things that are useful for a new owner, lemme know. its pretty straight forward but there could be something that works better when calibrating.

alright, new stuff.. kinda fighting with myself right now. nothings comin out the way i want. but ill stick with it.

heres what i got so far. ill be messin on these for a bit. (again let me know if things are to dark)

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the camera angle on the illo is a bit boring for me, I have to say, try and really get the viewer in the action! I think you could push size relationships a bit more, make that dude tiny, putting the camera under his feet which would make that beasty fackin huge. rendering is looking nice as always though. I'd recommend a whole bunch of compositional studies from people you admire, see how they construct images through shape and how they put the viewer into the image. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happens - and better to experiment and fail (not that you did as I still like the piece, but just talking in general) than to just use what you know and never try to expand.

I do like the latest two as well - perhaps some texture would be warranted - both creatures feel a bit like they are just newborn babes that have never been scratched or torn ever ~

esp. with the first of the two I find it to be a bit of shame since I really like the shapes and forms of the beasts (save that it got the sad castrated look of many "safe" monsters ~ (a touch of fur to indicate a shape probably would help)

or when a coat of arms for a nation can safely indicate virality (in this case Finland but they aren't alone).

I think you'll be safe to as well ~

(just feel a bit sad for all the eunuch monsters of the world of (game)art)

Anyway pet peeve aside I like it ~ (I've had that issue for years and years ~)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal Fingers: yeah i agree man, its kinda a boring and safe composition. i supremely need to study more on that subject, be more dynamic rather than creating something that will be easy to render. i think i should just jump in, take on all the "risks" maybe. because up till now, ive just been tapering in a few "risks" once im comfortable enough with the last "risk". that make sense? anyways. lots of fuckin marbles to juggle it seems.

dan liimatta: thats a great idea dude. ill try and throw some kind of decal or something on the dudes armor. yeah these ones arnt finished yet. fightin with the birdy one for a few days now on some rendering things. like i mentioned to metalfingers, im not to keen on the composition either, but im gonna try to bring this one to a finish regardless. add mor textures, and try and bring some sense into the ground planes. not a complete waste of time, learnin stuff from even the "meh" ones too and thats my purpose right now!

heres an update on the birdy fight.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great updates man! this bird monster painting has a couple of issues that are kinda standing out to me, the anatomy on the bird guy... while its obviously not human antomy, i just thought it should at least remain consistent, for instance behind his left leg (our right), his calf muscle seems to be really pushed back. also his right forearm seems oddly bent or broken. and this is just personal preference, but the bird head seems a bit cartoony compared to the rest of his body. its kind of a weird contrast. BUT, im not just trying to trash your pic, im only pointing this out because i love your work, and feel like this one could be pushed alot further. hope you understand.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I started

Threw myself at your image with claws and fangs, with destruction in mind.

Name:  Wreck_overpaint.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  333.3 KB

10 minutes later.

So this wasn't meant as an improvement, but as texture test - as to illustrate what I think you might want to play with a bit more as you go along - it will help you break up colours and make things look more lethal I think.

& use layers - feel free to have fun and experiment with random crap and then delete it if you don't enjoy it - I actually spent 5 minutes of the 10 by removing shit I first added ~ since it got way way too much.

Anyway I did it more for fun than anything else I just hope you don't mind and can get something out of it.

Note that I often go too far into this direction and I should be more careful, but I suspect a blend of I and you in this would be rather pleasant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the only sketchbooks I've actually gone all the way through from start to finish! You have original ideas and an awesomely smooth rendering style. I'm definitely going to be checking back on this.

I'd like to see an action scene between two of your characters where they aren't just standing still, though. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats: hey man, good eye dude, dunno how i let that one slip. but your absolutely right about the leg.. it had like two knees or something.. i also tweaked the arm a bit so it looks less bent. as for the cartoony look, i agree. it does have a donald duck kinda look eh.hehe. thanks again for the crits dude, i appreciate it!

dan liimatta: Dan your the man! thats so rad! thanks for takin the time to do a paint over! i definitiely took some of ur advice into what i worked on next. didnt push it as far as you did with your over painting, but maybe we can do a colab sometime and go all balls out with that! hehe, again i appreciate the crits!

ohucthulhu: thanks man! i appreciate you takin the time to look through my stuff! ya, i think ill be aimin for some more action posses soon. they be comin!

I gotta say, you guys are awesome, Dan and Nicky gave me some great crits on this one. really helping me push through this even though all i wanted to do was trash it and start something new. i gave this piece more time than i would have otherwise. but now im feeling a bit better about it. its still a complete mess, but i did learn some shit from it. firstly, when making a compositional piece, to fuckin use thumbnails!! i just went straight into this one with out a plan, and i paid for it. big lesson there.

but again i gotta thank ya guys for the help. i show this stuff to my GF and, god love her, she goes " its really really good" for everything i draw. hehe so its great to have some fellow artists share their two cents with me.

anyways, im moving on to something else now.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice finish man! Great crits and advice from everyone, so no need for me to say anything other than keep it up! Keep pumpin out the illustrations and they'll just keep getting better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would be a pleasure & I'm happy you liked it ~ & I'm glad we could help you over the frustration treshold - keep it up and have fun ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper_: thanks man, slowly but surely!

dan liimatta: yeah theres still some fun in those frustrating moments. cus after all, im doing what i want to do hehe

So i was sick this week and staring at my monitors was making me nauseous, so didnt get to do much. thankfully im feeling better now, sucked on some ginger root and did some yoga, and i think i got most of the gunk out of my body that was making me ill. this is all ive got for now tho. ill keep pickin away at it.

cheers.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that guy is creepy, its a bit weird having the same surface texture of his torso the same as his shoulderpad, maybe attach certain bits of the flesh armor directly to his skin to show that its not just armor? Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking the colors you use. Gotta echo the thumbnail advice, I don't use them myself anywhere near enough.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 98