Sketchbook: A sketchbook (Jan 3rd, 2014) - Page 10
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: A sketchbook (Jan 3rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Derek it's been a while since i've last stopped by your sketchbook, but fortunately i have your sb in my firefox tabs.

I've read aboy your decision, and it's kinda funny because i was talking with my friends about similiar things today.
    What i want to say is that i'm totally with you, I really understand what you were through, well maybe i wasnt working back then yet but i was studying economy, and one day i simply quit and told myself that i don't want to do things that i hate for the rest of my life, be one of those people who had the chance but never had the balls to just try.
    Fortunately my parrents did understand that after i've talk to them and explained that i was choking, and i really love to draw and paint and that it really is possible to live out of art nowdays. The industry has evolved so much that there are possibilities which havent been here before, internet working online living and a shihol now does not matter you still can work for a company from California, Sweden, Russia, Japan whatever the distance now really doesnt matter. So they finally understood.

I got myself into newly created 3d animation school that i'm in right now,
    but it wasnt a really good choice afterall but thats not improtant, the fact is that i do not regreat the decision i've made almost a year and a half ago.
    I have not earned a single penny from it yet, but i'm still not ready to hit those good companies with a portfolio yet, i still think that i need a year of really hard hard work before it can happen. I'm still learning and forgetting things unfortunately heh, since this school kept me too busy for too long, altho i'm slowly recovering from all this.

Man what i really would like to wish you all the best in the future, you will get there trust me, just believe and work hard and things will happen, good things.

Oh yeah, i mean sometimes in life we have to do things we are not really proud of, for example you could draw some furry animal-human stuff for those furry maniacs, it's bleh i know, but those things sell... it's not the bets money in the world but it can get you gowing for some time, you could maybe get an online class at CG HUb or whatever other place.

Also get your self on Deviant art and write a journal log about you doing commissions.

Ah yeah one more thing, i really wish you tho succeed so to help you i will tell you the truth. You've got yourself in a huge comfort zone, browse through your entire sketchbook, what will you see?

Mostly naked guys with super cool anatomy, and some monsters with a few exceptions. You really need to fill your head with images and try out new stuff, you'll never learn to swim in a puddle, you need to explore the sea.
    Know what i mean?

The next thing is colors don't be afraid to play around with them, there is a realy great book that i recommend to everyone:

I havent read alot of it yeat, since i'm always too damn busy, school man, aahh, nevermind. Anyhoot it helps! By just looking at the images inside i, i've changed my aproach to color. I'm not the besta rtist in the world and never will be but i hope my advices will help you out.

If you don't mind i'd like to add you to my buddy list at my blog, so that more people could see your stuff, after all we never know who's looking at it, maybe a potential employer ha!

http://icecoldart.blogspot.com/

See you man.

Last edited by Icecold; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh man congrats on leaping into the unknown, this sketchbooks gonna explode! Wolfman piece is looking tight especially after the revision although the colour now looks more monochrome, but im sure Gurney will help you out there!

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude,awesome designs.Just that looking at your sketchbook, i have actually seen the same thing like over and over again.Yes different characters but the energy is kind of the same.This comes from a rookie so don't mind it all that much.Hope to see more of your stuff

I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

CGHub

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yor: thanks dude! empty feeling , hmm maybe more time on the environment might help?

hücumkedi: thanks man!

Jasper_: thanks dude, feels good to actually have time to put into something i want to improve on for once. hopin to find my legs in the next few months.

Metal Fingers: cool you can see the purple, i have two monitors set up, and one of them doesnt show the purples as much.. this color/mnitor thing is bothering me. gotta save up my body exposing cash for a leet monitor rather then all the bitchs and hard drugs i blow it on.

cloudboy: thanks dude!

Icecold: wow man, i appreciate you takin the time to share all this with me! i do have a DA account, johnderekmurphy is my user name. and i will use ur suggestion to ask for commissions on DA eventually. id like to get a few more of these finished pieces done before doing that, not quite comfortable with it yet. still new to me. ill also try and order a copy of that Gurney book, might help me see something new right. Now that i have more time to paint, ill hopfully be steering away from my naked dudes that i draw and maybe puttin some clothes on em. and yes you can certainly link me in your blog, id appreciate it man! again i appreciate your comment!

fudgeloaf: thanks dude, i plan on going back and revisiting these next few pieces that i finish, see em with fresher eyes and tweak em out some more. but thanks dude!

rastaray: yup, i tend to draw the things im most comfortable with, specially when i only had a few hours a day when i had a full time job. but now im free from that and i plan on doing more different stuff in the months to come.

Ok, heres what ive started today for this week. its currently a long necked vampire... im gonna update it through out the week as it progresses. add more colors and what not, fix things, you know how it works. point is, stay tuned.

thanks for lookin!

also, id like to find me a calibrator for my monitors, does anyone know what a good one is, and where i could order one? thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Im looking for work! If your are interested, PM me and leave me your info!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I mean, bitches and hard drugs can't be a bad thing? eh? EH? last ones lookin cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook's pretty awesome! Definitely cornering the market on solid, beefy, scary dudes, but you're doing a hell of a job of it, love your colours. Everything you do has kind of a glow to it, it's great. Your latest one has some issues with the legs - he's sort of off balance, I think it has partly to do with the angle of the feet and partly to do with the fact his legs look bent but he's not really leaning forward to compensate. Love his face, tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal Fingers: yeah, i mean its not like bitches and drugs have ever killed anybody am i right? sheesh, im gonna keep that shit flowin then.

Revidescent: thanks dude, great crit. im learning lots from you guys. never really took painting seriously till 2 or 3 years ago, so theres lots to keep in mind when painting. i found a crutch and decided to go with that as i learned about colors and lighting. now im ready to learn some more stuff and maybe break out of the beefy, scary dudes market. even tho i totally enjoy just drawing those things. gotta prove to myself that i can do more. and with time, i will. thanks for the comment

heres a update on the vamp guy. ill give myself till friday to finish it. as for now, tomorrows my bday, so ima go party today so i can get it over with .

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn bro, last one is looking good!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, id like to find me a calibrator for my monitors, does anyone know what a good one is, and where i could order one? thanks!
    I recently bought myself a Spyder3Pro to calibrate my monitor. It works perfectly. It's pretty expensive but worth it I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-DC-S...9984765&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, who said anything about that? eh? I'm sure mr vamp is out huntin for some of his own too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read a little bit about you leaving your job and so on to start working on your portfolio full time and honestly. I dont think your gonna have a problem at all. You probably wont even need to work for a whole year on your portfolio. Youve got some really awesome work already and you could probably get a job with like 10-15 of your paintings with development sketches/ideas with them.

Your work is also really awesome btw but my only crit would be to work on making your colour schemes a bit more interesting. At the moment they are quite monochromatic really, or your using hugely different colours which dont compliment very well.
    Like in the last painting, you have that pink that is fading in, on the ground, it matches the colours really nicely. But you only use it on the ground?! Your whole side lighting should be that colour or something?

Regardless, you got some really nice work going on. Keep it up.
    5stars + subscribed

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wreck. Balls 'o steel man. Obviously you've got a lot of talent, so I'm not going to point out the obvious, that won't help. On the current piece, the only complaint I really I have is the arm holding the dagger, it kind of looks like he's going to stab himself. I'd maybe flip his arm over palm down, overlapping in front a bit, with the dagger pointing away. Still in reverse grip. Much love and luck. Work. your. nuts. off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats: thanks man!

Tugelbend: awesome! tugelbend your the man, thanks!

Metal Fingers: no doubt, vamps get all the bitches!

PHATandy: wow man, i really appreciate your words! I cant help but feel intimidated by the industry right now, theres so many amazing artist who are leaps and bounds better than me. obviously its a big motivational thing as well but i cant help feeling so very new to it all, i have so much to learn still. from here on though, ill do what i can to try to improve. colors will be a big thing i focus on. ill get some books and watch some vids as i go, anything will help. again i appreciate the words man, means a lot !

CKLamb: yeah i see it too, i might just have him hold it the regular way when i come back to this one. but for now, this will have to do. thanks for the comment !

theUNKNOWNsketcher: thanks man!

heres an update on this dude... still not happy with the feet. might re work those at a later date. but for now, im gonna move on.

also, its my birthday!!!!

Last edited by wreck; July 7th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
    a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wreck For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOMIE!!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Birthday MAAAAAAAN!

http://lulzimg.com/i5/b4b155e8.jpg

Livestreamin'

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your works are so much fun! Kinda like that obscure sci-fi vibe that they have. Your finished works are very interesting, I'm looking forward to see more. Also, keep up doing these creepy sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats: thanks man!!

fudgeloaf: ooh man thats a delicious lookin birthday cake man, could really sink my teeth into that! thanks!

Engor: thanks dude, more will indeed be comin! thanks for lookin!

ok, i think im gonna put this vamp dude to eternal rest.... for now. even tho i could keep tweaking and fixing and changing things, i want to spend some more time makin new stuff each week. so thats what im gonna do. heres the finished vamp and a quick sketch of what i plan on doin next week.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, man! The new sketch is a solid start as well! I'd personally widen the hips a bit, though

I just read about your parents, man. My deepest condolences.
    I know how it feels to lose loved ones and I have the greatest respect on how you handle the situation. Very mature. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love ur sb keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tugelbend: thanks man, and i appreciate the sympathies. im hopin to make them proud. gonna work my ass of during im year off

inspectorsokar: thanks man, i will, just for you ;D

heres what im workin on for this weeks chow: Beastmaster. my first chow, might be a bit timid, but im still havin fun with it.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great designs! your character design skill is really nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steppin out of your comfort zones! lookin good man, keep pushing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Egg0: thanks dude workin on it!

Metal Fingers:i didnt realize that until i read your comment.. this dudes closed... hes stil la big kinda naked dude.. but hes got clothes on at least... some would say thats a bad thing.

I think this will be my CHoW submission. feelin kinda meh about it. but still had fun, ill try and raise my game next week if i decide to do it.

and heres a bit of what im workin on now. not showin it all yet cus its simply ridiculous. kinda going for a different color scheme here. its apt to change mind you. anyways. ill post updates as it progresses.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great chow wreck your really pushing it man! Are you doing studies too or are you just godly? hehe

Livestreamin'

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, pushing surface texture and such though, which is always a good thing! I like the pinks on his vambraces and chest piece, very manly read you comment in Jaspers SB, that makes 3 of us.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fudgeloaf: thanks dude, trying to raise my game for sure. and studies? i guess these are them, i kinda make what ever im workin on into a study.

Metal Fingers: haha pink is obviously the best shaman color, its also okay for dudes to be pretty sometimes, am i right! Oh right on man! Wizards summer '011! lets do this!

Placeboast: thanks man!

Heres what im messin around on now... trying some things with colors and lighting.. its far from done folks so this will most likely change. at the moment these colors are vibein, but in an hour or so ill probably hate them.. ill give myself some time with this. like i said, far from done with this one... ill keep updates comin as i progress.

a.k.a. dernick

Sketchbook Thread

Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way this latest one is turning out man! This one should be great when it's finished. I have to say though I was a fan of the robo cop style helment in the original sketch haha. Keep pushin it man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see some backgrounds man, looking really cool.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 107