How do you study art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How do you study art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do you study art?

I know this seems like a very stupid question, but my childhood has been me being force fed math and engineering. So when I try my hand at drawing, and animation (which is really what I want to do) people tell me I have to study the fudamentals. It took me a while to figure out what they ment but I assume I need to study anatomy, color, and composition.

How do you study these things? Where I come from, to "study" is memorizing terms and A = B.

As far as studying it for art purposes I have no idea where to begin. I am taking some life drawing classes, and when I draw from anatomy books I cant draw it from a different angle. Or yet ever again :-(. I'm clueless on color. I've looked into color theory, and learned about triad colors, complementary colors, and so forth. But put a paint brush in my hand and I have no idea what I'm doing.

composition pretty much baffles me.

help?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend that every beginner read this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Drawing-...9627855&sr=8-1 It will teach you how to see, which sounds daft, but drawing from life and in general really requires a good eye. Also, you might want to read this too, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Art-E-...9628009&sr=1-1 art history is interesting, and looking at other artist's work really can help you in your own pursuits. Hope this helps a little

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcasey View Post
    How do you study these things? Where I come from, to "study" is memorizing terms and A = B.
    Art is a mental activity, but it's a physical one as well. So, you have to put theory into practice. The eye, the hand, and the brain all have to learn together.
    (Oh, and are you having fun yet?)

Last edited by Elwell; November 30th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Art is a mental activity, but it's a physical one as well. So, you have to put theory into practice. The eye, the hand, and the brain all have to learn together.
    (Oh, and are you having fun yet?)
    I'm trying :-(

I've been doing the exercises in the book, but I can seem to see, it takes me so much effort and hours to do a simple cube shape. And I want to be a 2D animator. *cries*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcasey View Post
    I know this seems like a very stupid question, but my childhood has been me being force fed math and engineering. So when I try my hand at drawing, and animation (which is really what I want to do) people tell me I have to study the fudamentals. It took me a while to figure out what they ment but I assume I need to study anatomy, color, and composition.

As far as studying it for art purposes I have no idea where to begin. I am taking some life drawing classes, and when I draw from anatomy books I cant draw it from a different angle. Or yet ever again :-(. I'm clueless on color. I've looked into color theory, and learned about triad colors, complementary colors, and so forth. But put a paint brush in my hand and I have no idea what I'm doing.

composition pretty much baffles me.

help?
    Read what Hunin says (New Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain), then reinforce that by reading Bert Dodson's Keys to Drawing. If your last drawing was done at 6 - 7 yrs old, then jumping to learn human anatomy and drawing figures without understanding perspective and the fundamentals of art will give you problems (many) down the road.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make the effort to consciously take in what it is you're learning. This is helped by copying from a book, then doing it again from memory etc. Of course you're not going to improve if you constantly believe you're terrible!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing the exercises in the book, but I can seem to see, it takes me so much effort and hours to do a simple cube shape. And I want to be a 2D animator. *cries*
    It's a long--perhaps endless--road. But also infinitely rewarding.

Keep at it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some people are not trained in an open manner. Maybe your just not identifying with what you are learning.

DISCLAIMER if you don't want to be bummed out read no further!
    I have known people that have worked harder than me and studied harder as well, but they still don't have the ability to create something a sane person would look at intentionally. Yet there are talented artist out there that have had no formal training and make me look foolish for trying so hard. There is a talent factor at a certain point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would think that if you're coming from a mathematical/engineering background, then art should be fairly easy to you, since art is kind of a science anyway... unless you're hopelessly linear in your thinking of how things appear in real space. If so, try picking up a book on perspective, that might put everything into terms you can understand. Then you can try applying those principals to stuff like life drawing, painting, etc.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.