Thanks

Race To The Lost City

Hmm, don't know really,... A bunch of treasure hunter's racing to a lost city I guess, the idea at first was just a character drawing but got carried away with it, I did the space ships in 3DMAX9 and matte painted the background. I really liked the dark toned skin but you can argue if you want.

Had no crit OR help during the whole creation process on this site, jeez thanks a lot CA, 3dtotal is a site based on 3d artwork but they where way more helpful than C.A.

Some comments or Crits please.
    Last edited by spartanx118; November 30th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The image has potential but right now there are a number of issues holding it back;

You need to do a bit of work on your human figure as she's looking very flat (2-Dimensionally, not her bust area ) and I think if you flipped the image you will find that she's also a little lop-sided.

Your background is ok but there's a little too much reliance on custom brushes to do the work for you. It also doesn't make much sense to have the mountains in front of your city but maybe you have a reason for that.

Try coming up with a story for your scene and characters BEFORE you create them. You need to care about your work before you can expect other people to.

Thanks
    Yeah actually I know there's a lot of mistakes (way more than you mentioned) but my psd file was corrupted and I couldn't do much more without going really far back. But thanks anyway.

Details

Race To The Lost City

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 755 Posts
    Get (good) reference. When you're doing a figurative piece, you need to get reference. No excuses.

Overall, it looks flat. You need to work on understanding forms in 3d spaces. It comes across right now that you're rendering forms very flatly. Consider the three dimensionality of objects.

Oh, and stay away from the photoshop grass brush. It jumps out from a mile away.

Keep at it!

Thanks
    I agree with all the other comments on here, but the other thing really bothering me is the actual content of the image itself. You have a girl who looks like a model in skimpy armor posing in front of a city as a war is raging on. Is she supposed to be a soldier, because if she just came out of battle, I don't think she would be posing.

Her relaxed nature is contradicting the nature of the image, and its making the background looked tacked on.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Noah Bradley: Ive been trying figure how to make my 2d images look less flat for a while, improved over the past few months but still pretty flat hopefully with more practice and reference I can eliminate that in the future.

Kieth_V: Your right about that but as I mentioned on my first post I was only planning on doing character painting, I just got carried away this 1, I'll definitely keep the thought in mind though, I usually plan my images before I do them.