Court Creature Drawings
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Court Creature Drawings

I have not posted in a long time. Hello!

Today, I spent 5 hours in court listening to someone talk about someone else and something something something.

Not sure what is going to happen to the trial, but I've learned that the US court system is pretty much crap. No matter, got some creature sketches done.
    -J-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol
    awsome, thats about how i spent my time in jury duty...sat in the waiting room for an ungodly amount of time and drew...
    they sent me home after they called everyone they needed..
    i just got a 5$ check in the mail yesterday, i think im gonna frame it.

lol

cool sketches, i like the 2 top ones the best.

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first one has pretty nice volumes and shapes. I'm a sucker for generic poses too.

I know this is ink, but some spots are over-rendered. Sometimes you can suggest a line or detail without actually drawing it.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    The first one has pretty nice volumes and shapes. I'm a sucker for generic poses too.

I know this is ink, but some spots are over-rendered. Sometimes you can suggest a line or detail without actually drawing it.
    Prometheus! Thanks man... glad that some of the shapes are creating volume:-) Yes yes.... you are very right about over-rendering spots. Are you refering to the last image? Or all the images in general? Guess it's me not being sure what I am drawing at the time...then rendering it to make sense of the shape. But I totally agree with you 100% Just have to train myself to stop at a certain point and jump to the next page.

Skank---> YOu have experienced the 'Jury' duty as well! What a huge waste of time, eh? Tax payers dollars at work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like them, specially the anatomy and the volumes in the first one and the design of the last one. I find them very nice as ink works, and think something like that could look really nice colored by acrilics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The scales on the head of the second one for example.

I do the same thing. I know some people use a bic pen or something and practice line economy with that. Some people can draw like almost an entire humanoid figure with just a few lines. I still have to make little circles where the muscles and stuff goes. I also tend to rub in the same line for no reason what so ever. One accurate line looks much better in general, even if it isn't as accurate as a rubbed in line. Rubbed in lines tend to look like nasty barbwire.

It seems to me like lineart can get away with slight inaccuracies. I stopped caring much about line quality when I started to paint. A face can look okay in lineart and really odd when volumated with values/colors. So now I disregard the lineart completely and just add pencil marks until it's accurate enough for coloring.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; January 30th, 2004 at 09:47 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice

I've always enjoyed your work and have followed it since your early days with WW and the WoD stuff you did. It's cool to see how far you've come and how your style's developed.

Keep up the work!

Kyph
    Concept Artist and 3D Modeler
    Icarus Studios

"I became insane... with intervals of horrible sanity."
    --Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asmodeus---> These were done pretty fast. 30-45 mintues for each. I have TONS of these type of sketches, but never reallly thought about painting them. Well...it's not a bad idea.

Prometheus---> I sware, if we ever meet in person... I need to buy you some drinks!!!! I hear you about drawing with simplicity. It's very similiar to cel animation. There are few lines, but they must express everything! So I do have a huge appreciation for 2-d animation and the skills required to produce them. In my book shelves, I have tons of animation references... I just have to make sure that I start using them and understanding rather than collecting dust.

kyphur---> WOw..... you are keen to my past I see. Yes, it's been a long time since the White Wolf days. I stopped doing artwork for them because it was very limiting in what I could create. As you can see, my art is drifting towards more of a conceptual look. And sometimes cartoony. Honestly, I don't have a clue to where my artwork is going...but I am glad that you like it and see improvement:-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I'm not big on drinking though. Soda maybe.

I felt like elaborating a bit more

Although lineart is easier to read, it also can give multiple impressions, because the inside volumes are not defined, and it can have any color the viewer likes to imagine. When you start defining things and give it volume/color it gets a bit more stiff and loses that multiple impression thing.

Anyhow, I think lineart can get away with inaccuracy because with the inside volume/color not defined, the brain will automatically fit in/suggest proper inside rendering. Of course that is just a mental image and it's sometimes not possible to represent it physically since it can have fluctuant colors and multiple angles at the same time.

Of course paintings can be slightly impressionistic too, but when you start to paint the lineart you have to go for a more down to earth rendering simply because the mental image isn't possible to put down on paper. Suddenly that bulge on the leg and little jag on the nose looks like an anatomical anomaly.

So, finally, that's my excuse for rubbing lines in a bit extra. Since I will paint over the drawing later, there's no reason to go for lineart quality and have to correct all the arms that's slightly too thin, misaligned kneecaps etc. later when I paint.

Of course, the optimal thing would be if I could put down accurate lines first try, without having to rub in multiple correction lines, but that's not going to happen unless I practice my arse off, and right now I concentrate on painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I met a guy who spent his entire courtroom session drawing extremely detailed charicatures of the judge and plaintiffs. Hilarious stuff.

Also, love those creatures!

Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.