Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    my flat colors, now for some stretching and air before continuing!
    any feedback is very much appreciated

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, this will be my first attempt at a chow. I've done an initial sketch and will probably stick with this. Not sure if the proportions are 100% but would be great if some crit came my way.

Thanks

Smile My own Morrigan

This is a very interesting CHOW, would like to see it through, but sadly time may be against me.

Anyhow here's my piece at the stage it is now. I was more concerned with the 'warrior goddess' nature of The Morrigan; she who inspires fear and bravery in battle, and the relationship with the Crow/Raven. I'd like to think it as an image of hers a little while before she took part in the Battle between Tuatha de Dannaan and the Formorians..

Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Forgot the deadline for this CHOW and I might not finish mine. just started on it again and will have to rush it out once I like the base body...or not

great stuff coming from everybody! so many cool entries this round too!

Thanks
    So inspiring works from everyone, I had to join this CHOW

so here´s my WIP

Thanks

Me too!

Here are a few sketches, indicating my intent to participate in this weeks chow. I doubt that I will paint any of these, but they served their purpose as exploration none the less. Final character coming soon...

Cheers,
    Keith

Thanks
    Getting there with this one...

Thanks
    keith eager, I like the realism of your wips. They remind me of Zena in a way. Loved that show!

emze, I can't wait to see how you combined the two heads. (If that's what you're going to do)

Thanks
    More done, nest is the dress which is just a place holder right now and then on to the crown I think.

CHOW 182 :: The MORRIGAN

Thanks
    Wow! lots of great things going on can't wait to see the final poll!

I decided that my first wip was a bit stiff, and a bit too busy with all that was
    going on in it. So, I changed it up a bit. I had to let go of some of the
    symbolism from the first one but I wanted something with a more narrative
    feel. Anyway I hope I'm going to be able to get this one finished on time for
    the poll.

Attachment 845876
    WARNING!!!!!
    WAAAAAY WAAAAAY way out of Date!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III
    I'm always trying to improve.
    Any help, encouragement, crits,
    or comments are greatly appreciated!
    Please let me know what you think

Thanks
    Adam Schumpert : I really like the details already. Hope you find time to finish. The animals mixed in and around the figure are a nice touch. Especially their interaction.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Adam Schumpert: That's looking very nice. My only crtique is related to their lower legs/feet. First I think they're too short perhaps and a bit out of proportion. Secondly I think you should make them firmly on the ground, he's about to stagger to death not float away with all those wounds, unless you're trying to portray his soul?

She could definitely use more interaction with the ground, I'd change the position of her legs entirely, put one of her feet behind that sword sticking out immediately next to her so that she belongs a bit more with the rest of the environment.

Either way, gorgeous looking piece so far, one of my favs. I also hope you finish it.

Rhen: A couple things. She looks very boyish right now, which is ok, just making sure you know. Maybe it's because you're missing out a perfectly good opportunity to draw some cleavage! Also if she's supposed to be sitting down into that thing in behind her it's not working right now. Either way you're going to have to fix it because the image looks flat right now. If she's sitting down into it, then work on her upper thighs too, at their current position it looks as if she might be leaning on a tombstone behind her, not a chair for sure but even so they're not perfect.

Dashinvaine: With you there's also some flatness going on. The figure itself is actually good but it doesn't fit onto the background at this stage. You can use both color and value (fade the colors/lose the contrast) to illustrate some depth into the image and make it pop more. Also make sure that the color from the environment bleeds into her, like some of that bright green should be reflected by her skin perhaps. Another thing killing your depth right now is the lack of shadows.

Keith Eager: I really don't like the topless one, faces look a tad bit mannish (again nothing wrong) but this is a hard skill to master. I make my women look manly all the time too. Of the sketches the one with the dress is the best, outright that is an outstanding piece. I think you should go with it.

Emze: Keep pressing. I like your light source and the glowing tatoo.

Bwinbotp: Not sure what's going on yet, she looks like Kali right now hoho.

VishvaTKH: Fix the feet and the hands, great so far though, this could be outstanding if you press the volumes. Right now it looks a bit iconic (which I mean as a good thing.)

RumpenStiltzkin: Your drawing is cool, it made me laugh because her facial expression right now and the feathers flowing around her made me think that she just swallowed the crow. Not sure if that's what you intended though, but perhaps you should

Dastwen: I like the idea of the image but it's not working quite yet. What is working though is your subsurface scattering of the skin, those colors on the edges are outstanding.

Garth Cochrane: Great lines, I like the bird and the pose. I'm not familiar with it, should I be? I think the hag direction is probably a good one for the sake of uniqueness.

PowleyMann: The anatomy is not working, as drawn she looks cartoonish. Nose too pointy, elbow too pointy. The rib cage doesn't look proper. You have some good light source going but the entire image needs a bit more work imho.

No Name Brand: I really like yours, wish it had a background but as a concept character you've succeeded. I'd vote for it both for quality and uniqueness, like the muscles.

Lancer: Looks cool, a bit mirky still, just work on clarifying the image. Maybe add more glow to the back behind them to make them stand out more? I like the puppy!

Goat: That is awesome if you can finish it!!! Great scene.

Dan: YOu have a very strong piece but I think someone else said it, something got lost between the grayscale and the color versions. I personally really liked the grayscale, but the colors... not so sure about. That doesn't mean I don't like the image. Another critique is that the curving line of the thing which appears to be blood, I'd just make it drip straight down, human blood doesn't stick together like that.

Matte Art: Hey man, great to see you here. Work on fixing the feet a bit.

Hellfire: Cool image, makes me do a double take with the face hidden in the shadows.

Klortho: Great pencils, could look outstanding when colored. If that's a moon behind her make sure to make it more rounded, right now it looks like a potato about to attack her from behindz!

Westoon: Nice picnic dress and scenery.

Hideyoshi: I don't like the leg position on the first take, the others look better to me. Either way she appears to be floating, which may be intentional. Also she looks asian, but with your nickname it makes sense

Sorry, I gotta do stuff now, that's all I can comment on. Good luck folks.
    Last edited by Niva.; December 4th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Better late than never right?

edit: thanks for the heads-up bell, reworking the composition to better fit 3/4ths / Full.

early WIP:
    Last edited by instinct; December 4th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I drew her thighs too, so I hope that's 3/4 now Daetswen The birds are supposed to look like they're 'cut outs' that's why it's flat colors. All entries are looking awesome, can't wait to see the finals!
    The best things in life are free...!

BLOG
    BLOG SketchBook
    Website
    facebook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ImaGEEnation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bit late to the party but here goes. Some great entries so far but I thought I'd do something a little different and go for the old woman aspect of the goddess

Attachment 845958
    Sketchbook

My Website

A daily update on Art, Illustration and Design

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Seaport For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i wasn't happy with the one i was doing before, so i make a new one, i hope to finish it in time

Thanks
    Nearly done. I've added a bit of mist to push back the hilltop and generally improve the atmospherics. Might do a little more to it if there's time...

Thanks
    Great characters everyone!
    I'll try participate in this one if time will allow it. Here's my initial thumbnail :o

Thanks
    Adam Schumpert dude, wicked re-start, especially the limp bodied warrior. The big issue thats bothering me though is the way that the Morrigan is floating on her tippy-toes. Try lifting a heavy object. Try lifting a heavy object and holding it away from you! Not only will your body lean back to counterbalance that object, putting an enormous amount of strain on the arms and legs, but your feet will need to be firmly planted on the ground while you perform the whole action.
    The soldier is so well developed that I really want to see the whole piece work beautifully.

cheers,
    Keith

25. The Following User Says Thank You to keith eager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    On with the colour and some messing with the anatomy.

seungy
    Some nice work on the hands and crow. Proportion wise you could go over her upper body, make it longer and her calves. The proportion of her upper arm length has her elbows down quiet low.

VishvaTKH
    Like the pose
    Look forward to seeing it coloured

emze
    Love the idea

keith eager
    Also made me think of Xena! Really like the second set of sketches

Adam Schumpert
    Great scene, especially how the animals work around the figures. Can see what Niva and Keith mean about her tip toes, but she is a goddess and it might not be an issue for her

Insinct
    Think the character has to be 3/4 or full, but if you can bring more of her out.

Seaport
    Very nice, like it a lot as a different take.

Josu
    Looks good, hope you get it coloured.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Niva & Keith Thanks so much for the crits I really appreciate the
    feedback! Legs are a weakness of mine so any help in that area is always
    hugely appreciated.

That being said, as far as this picture goes it was a conscious decision for
    her posture to be unnatural. After all she is holding a full grown man, off the
    ground, one handed, by the throat Given the goddess stasis of the
    character I thought it would be fitting for her to be able to lift a man as
    effortlessly as a mere mortal would lift a feather... or... something like that.

I do however want her to appear as if she is standing on the ground so
    thank you for the suggestions about the placement of her feet and such
    I'll get right on that

Thanks again
    WARNING!!!!!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III

Thanks
    Here's mine thus far! All crits are really appreciated.

Some absoultely amazing work here.

If i could start again i would use ref and make a better stab at her pose.

Weekend, time for the pub.If i get to finish it i will add a few blackbirds and polish it up a bit.

Thanks
    Niva & Bell - Thank you for your comments. I will push with my best to finish this on deadline. but if duty calls, find the finished posted later in crit section All comments are welcome! Crying blood here because i don't have a Graphic tablet..only the damn mouse

Emez - Nice work. I like your woman/raven mix up. try to refine the torso a bit. Lets see the final!
    Seaport - A different interpretation done well. Hope you will colour it to add a bit of a menacing touch.
    Adam Schumpert - Great piece of work. What if the eyes of the morrigan was looking into the recently dead warrior's face, instade of the viewer... as if looking at her 'latest aquisition'....? just a thought
    Bell - Love the darkness, and her bouquet of trophies! Hope you can bring out a bit more detail as i figure you are more into the 'deadly' aspect of Morrigan
    Sapphire - I think you can do more to bring out the 'Goddess' nature here bcos i feel she's rather Banshee-ish i.e. Spirit like
    Mitze - Nicely done. The only thing that worries me is her arms. IMO there is something that is not quite good with the way the posturing of the arms are in comparison to each other.

Great works people! this CHOW's gonna end up awesome!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VishvaTKH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mitze: Very good but her left arm (our right) is anatomically wrong, you can't see her elbow with that posture it has, just look your own hand at a mirror. Also, it's your own preference but I suggest you change the posture of that hand anyway, it doesn't seem very nice to me.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to lonerider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Finally!

Wow. After much struggling I finally managed to upload my figure block in... Don't forget to tag your images with the correct file extension folks... Man what a lil struggle!

Anyways, file extensions aside, what I'm going for here is a direct flat colour block in. I've been doing this quite a bit lately when I'm painting digitally. The flats help to nail down solid structure, planes, shapes, values, colour and saturation immediately, without the fuss of rendering anything just yet. Also the process allows me to easily change or paint over anything because I'm not terribly attached to it just yet. If it worked for Sargent, it can't be all that bad...

The next step for me will be to drape part of the figure, then work out the background and any secondary elements. After that, rendering everything to a polished finish. Lastly I will handle any colour and lighting adjustments.

cheers,
    Keith

Thanks
    Aaaaaagh... almost done but running low on time. I removed the floating skulls for now because I felt it was too cluttered and they are not necessary. Here is the current WIP...

Thanks
    I think this is it for tonight, still thinking of doing a bit of crown/ circlet bit.

Just some comments about the character design ideas, I am not at a level where I should be handing out drawing and anatomy advice. The WIPs thus far are amazing. I am learning so much watching everyone's work progress.

dashinvaine : I really like the tattoos, on her leg in particular
    Adam Schumpert : I like the way she holding the fallen warrior, it looks like the same way one might hold another's head for a kiss, and the eel/serpent around the head looks nice.
    Seaport: I love the crone and the crouch makes her look feral, and figure is gorgeous overall, can't wait to see her finished.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    update. critiques and coments are always welcome

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for all the crits and comments got an update... now time to
    take a break I think.

Attachment 846233
    Last edited by Adam Schumpert; December 5th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
    WARNING!!!!!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast