Design project

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Design project

Thanks

Design project

Hi all, just finished my 2nd project of the first semester (out of 8... 6 to hand in in 2 more weeks) but this is the proposal board of my finished work

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aykevin; November 28th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    the hand and the concept drawing of the device on its left are very sketchy, for this kind of finished work I think you should stick to refined lines. And the colors dont really match, the chart for example; the greenish yellow doesnt go with anything else in the image. But good job overall, I really like the GPS on the top right really well done.

ps: I know this is schoolwork but keep in mind the copyright of images, try to use royalty-free images or your own when doing work (or just buy them)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks.. well, like i said, it's for uni work, so i need to demonstrate i can do free hand and pixel drawings.. I'm the only one who knows how to do pixel drawing in the class so i thought i would throw it in to get extra marks!! haha...
    btw.. what's a royalty free image??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aykevin View Post
    thanks.. well, like i said, it's for uni work, so i need to demonstrate i can do free hand and pixel drawings.. I'm the only one who knows how to do pixel drawing in the class so i thought i would throw it in to get extra marks!! haha...
    btw.. what's a royalty free image??
    A royalty free image is an image that you can use without having to pay for using it, generally. Most images you find on the net belong to someone and you have to obtain permission to use them - either through payment or written/verbal permission. If you get caught using their image without permission, they'll often make you remove the image and/or hit you where it hurts in your wallet as repayment for taking what is rightfully theirs.

"Royalty Free" can apply to a lot of things: an image, a song, a sound, etc..

If you're doing print work that other people might see, it's always good to make sure your images are squared away - you never know to whom they might belong. And, if you're using images in a job that you're going to present to a client, you HAVE to make sure all your images are legit or trouble will most likely follow. (Because you got paid using their work, without permission or compensation, so they tend to get upset when that happens. You'd be upset too if someone was profiting off of your work without even so much as asking you.)

There are a lot of great resource sites for royalty free images. A favorite of mine is stock xchange. The majority of their images are free to use, unless otherwise marked. (They'll usually say below the picture if you need to ask permission to use the photo or not. Most times you don't have to.)

Now, with all that out of the way, critique time!

All-in-all the layout is pretty good. The colors have already been addressed so I'll let that alone, as well as the quality of the hand (just needs s'more polishing and I think it'll pull the piece forward a lot more. Right now I feel like it's kind of dragging the quality down over-all because it looks unfinished.)

Here are the things I think need a tweak to really push this to the next level:

1.) Your text presentation. The kerning in your header is a bit squished/claustrophobic feeling; I'd open it up some to make it feel a little more neat and easier on the eyes. I'd also consider maybe changing the header color - I feel like it's getting lost right now and you can't tell it's a major point of interest. Maybe flip it to the red and white you've got going on for the logo down the bottom so that it mirrors up top somehow? I think with it being in the black, so close to the black strip up top that it's just visually blending in too much. The word 'lost' attracts my attention before the whole 'SAT-NAV' stuff does. I also feel like the tops of the grid sort of running into the header area is uncomfortable - you might want to fade it out around the header text a bit - it looks like the text is being speared at the moment, which makes it a little awkward to read.

The text above each picture feels sort of slapped on there - one is in a different color (that isn't really featured anywhere else in the piece) and the second one has been squished vertically, which looks sort of odd. Since these two headers are part of the same thought (Q. Lost? - A. Find your way out. Call and response.), then they need to feel like it. The font should have the same feel/look to it on both pictures. You can change the color of one to place emphasis on it, but the fonts should at least match style-wise so that you know they go together.

The informational text area isn't too bad on the left side except for two little nit picks - the word "skibird" in the red is REALLY hard to read. It looks disintegrated/blurry on my screen and would never work for print with the way it presently is. You either need to pick a different shade of red or a more crisp font. The second issue is that you have hyphenated words at the ends of lines - some people don't mind this, but pro's generally try to avoid this because it just looks sort of sloppy and makes the text more difficult to read. Again, adjust your kerning/spacing on the lines that end in hyphens so that there's either enough room on the line for the whole word or so that the word drops to the next line entirely. You can also square off the text areas so that they're even on all edges instead of the free-ended look, but that's a design choice. Some designers like it, some don't. (I tend to prefer it just because it looks more neat, but it's a personal call.)

2.) Your pictures. Since you had to ask about what 'royalty free' meant, I'm guessing these probably aren't. I don't think it's a huge deal because this is just for a class project, but you really need to get in the habit of checking your sources because you could easily land yourself (or a potential client) in hot water otherwise. It's a good way to lose business and a lot of money. Now, aesthetics-wise, for the two photos you have, I would consider adding a thin stroke around the edge of the two pictures to make them pop a bit more from the background. Not a huge one, just a thin one to define their edges a bit. Also, the way the thumb of the hand is running into the GPS device above it looks awkward - I'd make it so there's a bit of space between them. It looks like the device is currently doing a balancing act on top of the thumb.

3.) Your Signature. Remove it. It's distracting. Artists usually only sign their work in a way that won't distract from the over-all effect of the piece. You don't need to sign this anyway - the drawing is part of an ad, not part of an art piece. Clients probably wouldn't care for it as it is. If you need to sign it, hide it somewhere in the drawing itself - so it's subtle and only you know that it's there. A layout for an ad, while it can be considered a work of art in and of itself, isn't about the drawing you did - it's about the client's product and makes a signature of your work sort of inappropriate. If they had hired you as an artist to do them a drawing or a painting, that's different and they'll expect it to be marked as a piece unique to you. But, if they hire you to do an ad, the content is pretty much theirs and most designers won't sign their work as such. (Even if they drew a little something for it - or, if they do bother to sign it, it's hidden in the drawing itself somewhere so that you'd really have to look for it to find it and it doesn't detract from the ad itself, which is the job they were paid to do).

You're off to a good start with this one! I hope we can see a revised version before you hand it in! Good job! ^_^

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wait.. so is the royalty free thing applying to the 2 skiing pictures?? then theres no worries, coz they are my own pictures, not from the internet
    thanks for the input..

Thanks
    opps.. didn't finish.. yea, i will try and change it the hand in is wednesday so, still got time to make it better!! cheers!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.