Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ActonArt's Art

Thanks

ActonArt's Art

Hi guys, new here and thought I'd start by putting up a sketchbook page. Over the last 6 months about, I've been going to some private art lessons and attending a figure drawing class at my local uni. Enjoyed it so much, I've enrolled and will be a full time Fine Arts student come January. The University is Tshwane University of Technology in South Africa.

Anyway, here is some of my recent stuff:

Attachment 840165

Attachment 840166

Attachment 840167

Attachment 840168

Attachment 840169

Attachment 840170

Attachment 840171

Attachment 840172

Attachment 840173
    Last edited by ActonArt; October 1st, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    And here is some colour stuff done in photoshop. I used Suicide Girls as reference.

Attachment 840174

Attachment 840175

Attachment 840176

Attachment 840177

Attachment 840178

And finally, an oil painting

Attachment 840179

Thanks
    Hi

I was just browsing the Chow and accidentally clicked your name, at the bottom of the page. I didn't notice this extra tab, until I was about to shutdown for the night. But, now that I am here, I might was well say something right?

As always, you made a great choice in setting up a Sketchbook. If you are serious about advancing in your art, you will be pleased. I am sure you know at least a few success stories from this amazing forum

Great start! I can see that you have a lot going on. Your subjects have quite range - Big bubbling beauties > cute girls > bad girls > Ideas. I would suggest that you try out some more darker values. Your drawings have a vague, unfinished sense to them. If they were all WIPs, I would understand. But, you can set values into WIPs as well.

Take care and good luck
    Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Yay for accidents.

Thanks for the feedback. On Monday is orientation and my first day as a fine arts student. So pretty soon I'll have some figure study work again. I'll try to push the values further.

Here's some random speed paint things I was playing around with and also a really silly comic strip I did.

Attachment 879113

Attachment 879114

Attachment 879115

Attachment 879116

Thanks
    Thanx for making a turn t my sketchbook
    Congrats on the fine arts studies ... hope you plenty fun! You really love doing figure studies ... AwEsOmE! Keep up the great work, cant wait to see some more!
    - BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Figure study is the foundation of good art! Or something like that. Lol. I have to say though, my live figure sessions are just about the most fun I have with art. I find the human body fascinating, in a sensual kind of way. Absolutely love it. But I still have some orientation to get through before I can get back to that. Classes only start on the first of feb. Its too far away!!
    “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” - Stephen King

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Edit for double post woopsies!
    Last edited by ActonArt; January 19th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
    “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” - Stephen King

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Phew.. I have been busy at school! I'm going to start by posting what I've been doing in sculpture. Basically, we were given a PVC hardhat and told to make a sculpture. It's a bitch of a medium to work in, like one seriously huge ass bitch. But I had loads of fun.

I call this guy, "working man" and he's due for marking on Monday. My camera is a cheapie, and my photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but I hope you can make out whats going on.

Attachment 911627

Attachment 911629

Attachment 911631

Attachment 911632

Attachment 911634

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Here's some stuff I've been doing.

The first painting is crappy. It was a colour theory thing and we just had to paint a random object. My keys were in my pocket so I did that. Yeah, I only realised beadwork would be sucky AFTER starting.

Attachment 921164

The second painting project was a still life of fruit. Four segments, each segment using a different art movement. I have surrealism, impressionism, realism and expressionism.

Attachment 921166

Attachment 921167

Attachment 921168

Attachment 921170

Attachment 921172

Figure drawing he has been messing with us. The only stuff I can post are the five minute poses. Other than that, he's been making us draw with our left hands, switching us around and making us carry on on other people's drawings, randomly moving the model slightly, randomly putting objects in front of the model. etc. I get that he's trying to loosen everyone up... but sigh... I AM loose.

Attachment 921175

Attachment 921177

and then we have observational drawing. The first image was just a random collection of stuff in the middle of the room so the lecturer could see our level of ability. The bug is from a series of loosening up exercises that included random things like drawing with someone elses hand and making a line to express anger and blah blah. The last page is a tonal values exercise. I'm still busy with the bench. It's due next week thur.

Attachment 921180

Attachment 921181

Attachment 921182

Attachment 921184

Attachment 921185

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Little progress update. My scanner is only A4 and my photography skills are severely lacking. Sorry for the bad quality

Attachment 922927

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    You're on the right track I think with all the studies. The bench in particular is looking quite nice so far. Try to be more confident with your figure drawings though because the lines are getting that hairy overworked look. Just something to watch out for.
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    Some cool stuff you have here! The fruit still life is well done and really funny as well.

With your shaded pieces, I don't think you need to worry about showing every contour or edge on the objects. If two things are close in value, you might experiment with simply letting the two blend together.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    sketchibo: Thanks. My figure drawing lecturer has pretty much told me the same thing, "you need to get painstakingly precise." We just haven't had the opportunity to work on any one pose for very long yet. He promised they're coming though. I'll try to get more confident on the speedies though.

Clean3d: Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

And some 10min speed paints I did this morning from googled reference:

Hyena, Irish setter and a vulture.

Attachment 923495

Attachment 923496

Attachment 923497

My Sketchbook

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast