Muscle Movement
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Muscle Movement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Muscle Movement

Are there any good references out there for what muscles look like when they move?
    I'm fine drawing figures standing stationary, but when for example the arm moves up, I don't know what the muscles surrounding it look like, how the lat pulls with it etc.
    I haven't got access to a model, but even if I had with skin it's not going to be much help, is it? I'd only know the superficial muscles then.

Rey Bustos' site is great for static references, but for the most part there's not any animation or anything actually showing how the muscles move (unless I've overlooked it!).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier on my wish list. It looks helpful.
    There's also The Figure in Action by Louise Gordon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Robert Beverly Hale's book, Anatomy Lessons from the gReat Masters, is helping me out a lot with how the figure looks in movement. I highly taking a look and doing some copies from it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figuring out the muscles actually work is extremely helpful as well. If you figure out what they do to cause movement in relation to the bones and the overall body, it's quite powerful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enydimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pigeonkill - That was possibly the scariest thing I've seen all day, and while it may not help me so much with how the muscles work (too distant for me to see properly) it'll make for some great posing reference. Cheers!

Leonor and Sidharth, I'll certainly check out those books! Thanks alot.

Enydimon - Yeah, I've been trying to figure out some of the things Bridgeman mentions in his books, but alot of the time I think my brain switches off when he lists some of the lesser known (at least to me) muscles and what they do. I'll have to shift in gear and get with it!

There was a 40cm poseable skeleton I saw in a catalog recently. I'm putting that on my christmas list since I think that'll help immensley.

Last edited by Slothboy3000; November 27th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgeman is hard to understand and I sympathize, but if I try really hard to figure out what he's saying I can at least come out with something. Sometimes it helps to reference the diagrams at the same time you are reading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Enydimon View Post
    Bridgeman is hard to understand and I sympathize, but if I try really hard to figure out what he's saying I can at least come out with something. Sometimes it helps to reference the diagrams at the same time you are reading.
    Yea I started studying Bridgman when I first started drawing, I thought I was learning something but it was incredibly confusing. I studied drawing and learned more about form and I checked out Hogarth, Vilppu, and Vanderpoel, which are all easier to understand. Now a year later, I am returning to Bridgman and I am finding him to make so much more sense, and I can really feel myself getting a lot out of it.

So my advice: use Bridgman once you already have a decent cursory knowledge of drawing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enydimon - I think it's when he lists bones and muscles that aren't present in the diagrams on that page, it gets a little confusing because it forces you to backtrack to a diagram he's on about!
    cdejong - At the moment I've only got Loomis, Bridgeman and recently Hogarth (who I was always put off by for some reason, but he has some good things to say). Bridgeman is great for realising the forms, though. I sort of use him in combination with anatomy from Loomis' diagrams (and other scientific ones). Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    Yea I started studying Bridgman when I first started drawing, I thought I was learning something but it was incredibly confusing. I studied drawing and learned more about form and I checked out Hogarth, Vilppu, and Vanderpoel, which are all easier to understand. Now a year later, I am returning to Bridgman and I am finding him to make so much more sense, and I can really feel myself getting a lot out of it.

So my advice: use Bridgman once you already have a decent cursory knowledge of drawing.
    I've been meaning to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.