Art: Question about casting a marbled statue.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question about casting a marbled statue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about casting a marbled statue.

Does anyone have an idea how it's possible to fill resin into a mold so that the cast gets a marbled effect??? With different colors of resin being clearly separated from each other? Like in these statues:

http://www.cthulhustatues.com/cthulhu/61.html
    http://www.cthulhustatues.com/cthulhu/59.html

The effect on these sculptures was not painted. It was cast.

I have tried, but pouring different colored resins into the mold, mixes them into one color. As the resin gradually rises in the mold there is no way to get a marbled effect. And tilting and shaking the mold to remove air pockets, further mixes the colors.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes.. Check out www.Smooth-On.com or www.ReynoldsAM.com

Reynolds is a distributor for Smooth-On...

But yea, check them out as they have a great pigment section - I used them for ALL of my application casting.

The other Thing I could suggest is, taking different pigment inks, dropping one or two drops of ink in, slightly stir, then repeat with other colors - Problem is, you'd have to be hella-fast being most resins set up in a couple of minutes.

But yea, give Smooth-On a call or PM me and let me know if you've found something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the ink must be completely mixed into the resin, otherwise the cast may loose strength, or end up sticky with too much ink in places.

Looking at the statues in the links above, it seems that two separate volumes of resin have been thoroughly mixed into two colors. Then these two volumes have been put together into the mold. I had an idea, that perhaps an extra chemical was added to one of the volumes, so that the two volumes will repel each other, like oil and water. Then the colors would not blend when pouring into the mold, but remain distinct as in these statues. Are there any such chemicals that can be added to resin?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.