Follows
    Following

Intuos 2 Serial and 64bit Windows 7

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are no drivers for serial devices under Windows 64bits, so no support from Wacom, plus they want you to keep buying their new tablets.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    There are no drivers for serial devices under Windows 64bits, so no support from Wacom, plus they want you to keep buying their new tablets.
    Well you should upgrade sometime. It's not like they didn't come out with USB versions of those tablets and you don't have that problem.

They're in a business, what, they're not supposed to make new tablets to keep in business?

So as an artist, do you make one picture and keep hoping it just sells?

Seriously Portus, while sometimes you're right...you go into this really angsty mode of thinking that comes off counter-intuitive. Lay off it a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well you should upgrade sometime. It's not like they didn't come out with USB versions of those tablets and you don't have that problem.

They're in a business, what, they're not supposed to make new tablets to keep in business?

So as an artist, do you make one picture and keep hoping it just sells?

Seriously Portus, while sometimes you're right...you go into this really angsty mode of thinking that comes off counter-intuitive. Lay off it a bit.
    All companies unless otherwise stated eventually drop support for all the old products, Wacom is no different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I started a thread over at wacom support forum, there was really nothing I could do to get the drivers working so I just bit the bullet and removed windows 7 and reinstalled vista 32bit now my tablet is working without a hitch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if you've found an answer for this yet, but I just got my old serial Intous1 running on 32bit Win7, with the latest Win7 driver set and the following Registry Edit.

You'll need to browse down to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE tree and add the Tablet entry like so:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tablet]
    "PnPTablets"=",COM1"

This'll basically just point the Wacom drivers over to the COM1 port which is your serial. I haven't tested this on the 64bit version, but just download the latest set of 64bit drivers for your model and it should work. Hopefully it works, cause I'm upgrading in not to long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the heads-up on that, if I was still running windows 7 I would have given this a shot but like I stated in my previous post ive had to remove windows 7 and reinstall vista 32bit.

Apparently for the serial ports they never made a driver support for 64bit so if your planning on doing the 64bit "upgrade" and you want to run that serial tablet you might run into some problems.

Also the 64bit didnt prove to be considerably better performance than the 32bit vista (for me at least) actually ran into more problems with various program support issues. If you do get the 64bit windows 7 and experiment with your serial tablet editing please let me know how it turns out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Windows 7 64bit doesn't recognize the serial port at all or Wacom never made 64bit/Serial drivers?

Because, I didn't download the serial drives, I installed the "WacomTablet_612-5.exe" which is the Win7 32bit & 64bit package. Then the registry key was what tricked the system into looking to the serial port instead.

I'd agree though that reinstalling a whole new OS just to find out might not be worth it though =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They never made 64bit compatible drivers for the serial port, the reason why your drivers work is because you are running the serial connection on a 32bit system and all drivers support the serial connection on a 32bit system only! Unless its USB connection!

I agree its not worth trying... the odds are it wont work, I tried many methods to get my tablet working on the win7 64bit and they all failed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are two ways to get serial Wacom tablets working in 64 bit Vista/Win7:

1) Use the $75 vtablet driver. I've heard varying reports as to how well it works, from not at all to no pressure sensitivity in Photoshop to fully functional, but there is a free trial.

2) Using rudimentary soldering skills, modify the hardware of the tablet to permanently change its serial interface to a USB interface. This requires a $14 "Teensy" adapter running free WaxBee firmware that translates from the serial tablet protocol to the USB protocol. A tablet modified in this way works with the standard 64 bit Wacom drivers. I've successfully modified an Intuos1 12x18 and 4x5 tablet using this method and they work great. This method also works with some ADB tablets and has been used on Ultrapads, Artpads, and other Wacom models.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting, I never thought about going that far with it (converting serial to usb) I ended up buying an intuos4 as a replacement. Although someone else may find your bit of advice helpful, thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.