Sketchbook: Whirly's Sketchbook
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whirly's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whirly's Sketchbook

I am very much a beginner with 2D but we all have to start somewhere.

I found simply keeping a sketchbook of my sculpting it helped keep me motivated and now I am on a journey to improve my 2D skills both drawing and digital painting starting from the very very basics.

The Resourses I am using are:

Mark Kistler's Drawing in 3D (childish but perfect for my current skill level)
    Andrew Loomis Fun With a Pencil
    Scott Robertson Perspective 1 (Gnomon)
    Scott Robertson Rendering Series (Gnomon)
    Ryan Church Into to Painter (Gnomon)
    Bob Kato Head Drawing (Gnomon)
    An Assortment of other stuff

I will be alternating between them and alternating between pencil, photoshop and painter.

I am also planning on taking some online workshops.

Beaing a 3D artist, I would like to improve my 2D skills so I am able to sketch out an environment and then rough out its lighting before actually taking it in the 3D world, or rough out a character sketch before sculpting. A quick sketch in painter or photoshop would mean the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is some of my earlier work that I lumped in here

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome! learning to draw 2d can be done the same way as learning a 3d software. Start with simple shapes and move on to harder ones. I see you did some perspective things. That looked kickass. And I think if you cleaned up your lines in your sketches, they would look better too.
    You should justm play around in the digital software and find the tools you like and feel that you can controll. Just do splatters and different lines.
    Keep it up and draw alot!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks B-Man Your sketchbook is wonderful btw!

I am gonna try and keep penciling for the moment before I jump back into digital painting as my pencil skills are far weaker I think.

The Feng Zhu Perspective Exercises/Environments I loved and looking forward to getting back onto them but at the moment I am stuck with heads. Trying by best to do the spherical construction methods for Loomis's realistic heads but lots of pages of suckage so far.

Here are some super fast doodles as a fist attempt at using an overhand pencil grip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whirly, this is a really good start I like your little funny characters, espcially the one of day 7.

Obviously you have strong knowledge of perspective. Hard work, Loomis, Bridgman and Sheldon are going to make it for sure.

So draw and post more!!!

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again.

Your perspective studies are looking nice, being able to draw boxes is an absolutely essential skill. In regard to doing studies of master work, make sure that you understand the logic that the original illustrations are trying to convey. You will not learn anything by simply copying the illustrations, this I can't emphasize enough. Understanding the logic is far more important than accuracy at this stage. Later on, as you become more skilled, you can worry about accuracy more but at this stage it really isn't so crucial. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't be accurate, it just means that understanding the logic is more important. Just something to keep in mind.

I hope that helps you out any, good luck with your work!

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sir Cam & DiR3Kt. The encouragment is really helping!

I will start posting more and more espcially while I have some time off over christmas.

Wise words Sir Cam, I always try to understand the logic.

I think I could talk about technique and stuff for ages simply because of all the reading and watching instructional videos but when it comes to putting pencil to paper its like all the stuff I 'know' doesnt matter. Its kind of weird like I have to teach the other half of me it aswell and can only do that by actually doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Thanks Sir Cam & DiR3Kt. The encouragment is really helping!

I will start posting more and more espcially while I have some time off over christmas.

Wise words Sir Cam, I always try to understand the logic.

I think I could talk about technique and stuff for ages simply because of all the reading and watching instructional videos but when it comes to putting pencil to paper its like all the stuff I 'know' doesnt matter. Its kind of weird like I have to teach the other half of me it aswell and can only do that by actually doing it.
    You hit the nail on the head, it is something that you must teach yourself. I've come across so many people who will spend hours copying illustrations out of drawing books without understanding what it was that the illustrations were meant to teach, those people are wasting their time. The first step is to learn, the next step is to practice applying what you've learned on your own. Eventually, the skill and knowledge will be yours. It requires discipline like all learning, it takes genuine mental effort. People often just don't seem to get that.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start .., best luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no post. I have still been drawing but I have been mostly doing exercises in Sheldon's Boot Camp book. http://www.sheldonsartacademy.com/textbooks.php Dont think I would be allowed to post them (copyright?) Couple of Hogarth stuff which Im pretty sure im not ready for yet and the last one is a Glen Fabry study.

Anyway here is some new stuff. Really really need to learn to SLOW DOWN!!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man nice start. I'd try to focus drawing from life a bit and try drawing simple objects first. Also drawing with ink can help some times. It makes you think about drawing differently. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Jason. Your avatar is crazy-cool!

Drawing from life is definitly on the cards.

I was thinking if I gain a bit more skill in copying easily from a 2D surface first it would help me out a bit because if I struggle with that at the moment then haveing to add a step (transfering 3D space to a flat paper) might be cause more problems. Maybe I am wrong in this assumption? what do you think?

I do doodle alot in pen at work. I find pen really nice to work with, feels nicer than penicl.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hogarth & Sheldon

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just thought I'd say my current goal here is to do this in this order:

1) First be able to copy something from paper easily enough (I figure if I cant copy from 2D surface to 2D surface then I will really struggle with copying from 3D space to 2D surface)

2) Copy from 3D space (from life) easily enough. Representational not photo-realistic.

3) Once I can copy from 2D space and 3D space I can start to copy from imagination space and start creating art that will look sucky because:

4) Finally learning technique for good line quality, shading, digital painting etc.

Any thoughts on if that sounds sane enough?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the bit above. If anyone is interested, I received some great advice here as to some of the misconceptions.
    A study plan and best books to do 'studies' of - ConceptArt.org Forums

For now update of doodles and Michael Hampton Exercises until my Reference Busts arrive and I can start being more serious and drawing from life. Couple of Bargue plates that I sketched by eye not sized or anything just because they looked nice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really awesome, wondering where are those eyes from I've seen a lot of people do them but I don't think that I've seen them, please and thanks. I would guess Loomis. Anyway keep it up looks good.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    These are really awesome, wondering where are those eyes from I've seen a lot of people do them but I don't think that I've seen them, please and thanks. I would guess Loomis. Anyway keep it up looks good.
    Thanks Diarum

I believe you are referring to the Bargue plates. Useful for learning, angles and proportion. A search should provide you with a mountain of info on Bargue plates. I havent really uesd them as they were intended though.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a nice feeling when you have a wad of paper to scan of drawings. Makes me feel like I have been working hard ... Then I see the shite drawings on them.

New motto: If I don't ever actually get OK/Good/Incredible at this I will, at least, still be happy if it wasn't for lack of trying!

Vilppu and Hampton stuff. Also doing copies of their gestures which may sound useless but it is actually really helping me understand their thinking when they drew them to give me more grounding when I do my own gestures which are terrible at the moment but I am finding doing studies of theirs really does help!

Zbrush Sculpt WIP

Also my casts came today. Suddenly terrified that I spent loads of money on something I am not really anywhere near good enough to use and that it feels like an infinite amount of time away. Gonna try and sculpt them em first I guess.

If anyone is interested here is a study diagram I did: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...52#post2673452

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's encouraging to see you doing Vilppu studies! His style (and Sheldon's) are the coolest!

I admit; I'm a Vilppu fan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Xeon_OND I can sit and explain it the techniqes for hours. Just cant do them very well. Its strange a strange thing.

Id still like to do so more environmental stuff but there doesn't seem to be any books on it.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Whirly, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

It's good that you're doing so many studies but make sure that you're actually applying the knowledge that the studies are meant to reinforce. Don't just copy the diagrams in the books without understanding what it is that the diagrams are meant to teach, that would be pointless. Try to apply the knowledge that the book is teaching you as much as possible, do not simply copy what you're looking at. It requires a conscious effort.

I hope this helps, good luck with your work.

Sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sir Cam. I am trying to create a routine that forces me to learn something and apply it.

2 Pages of warm up exercises like the cylander/sphere stuff in Hamptons book. Then study book/video tuts on a spesific thing (for example gesture). Then apply what I have leared to some photostudies, life studies or cast studies (when it comes to developing form after I have got a grasp on the gesture part.)

If I can do this every day I have no excuse not to be good!

I dont know if you have seen them but Kevin Chen's notes really clarify some of Micheal Hamptons stuff really well. They are worth checking out.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attempting to understand the forms of the head. Judging from the drawings it looks like I need more practice just drawing simple objects in space.

I also attempted to trasfer what I had learned from the Kchen studies in 3D.

Think I might be getting ahaid of myself attempting in the head and need to go back to gesture and simple 3D forms for a while.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by my SB, nice drawings by the way just not proceeding with form until you're really convinced with the gesture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by andres333 View Post
    thanks for stopping by my SB, nice drawings by the way just not proceeding with form until you're really convinced with the gesture.
    Understood will try and focus totally on gesutre for as long as possible. Hopefully not in vain as its a seemingly impossible tast at the moment.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is where it all begins

I have organised all the different types of study I can do into catagorys. Alot of them are taken from Vilppu and Hampton and what I have seen people do on the forums.

The point of this is so that I can select which exercises to do. Find out which ones I need to work on. Which ones I am not doing enough of. So say next week I can sit down and say I want to do (Section 1 - 2a) and (Section 1 - 2c) and then (Section 2 - 1b) .... etc

I have done an example of each. Some look horrible simply because I am not quite ready for them yet (eg. Section 1 4b appliction) but I needed to an example so I have some visual reference when I sit down and do them.

SECTION 1 - Developing drawing and spatial thinking skills (everything from this section requires that I do application as well as study so if I am drawing the sphere forms I then need to do the same thing with life/photoreference)
    1) Sphere
    a. Lots of circles = hand/eye/arm and relax
    d. overlap front spheres
    c. Alive spheres
    d. intersecting spheres (pie chart)
    e. Alive Bags
    2) Cylinder
    a. Ellipse accuracy
    b. Cylinders from 2 ellipses
    c. Alive cylinders
    d. Form through ellipses to create overlapping ellipses
    3) Cube
    a. Boxes in space
    b. Soap in space
    c. Alive soap
    d. Alive Pillow
    4) Combination
    a. Combining boxes and spheres
    b. Combining spheres, cylinders boxes
    5) Gesture
    a) gesture studies - 1, 2, 5 mins
    b) from photo - 1, 2, 5 mins
    c) gesture from life - 1, 2, 5 mins

Whichever one is done NEEDS to be followed by application! This means I am translating things rather than just copying the lines. This means I have to understand what I am drawing and a library of simple forms is made in my mind for drawing from imagination.

SECTION 2 (Technical knowledge and imagination)
    1) Perspective
    a. ellipses in proper perspective
    b. Cylinders in proper perspective
    c. environments in proper perspective
    d. technology and vehicles in proper perspective
    2) Constructive Anatomy
    a. Head
    b. Torso and Pelvis
    c. Legs and Arms
    d. Hand & Feet
    3) Silhouettes
    a. Characters
    b. Vehicles
    c. Robots & Tech
    4) Composition
    a. Environment
    b. From Film

Here are my visual examples to acompany this.

If I can stick to my rules and do as many of these as I can when ever I possible can I am going to be good at this dam it!

For now I am solely concertrating on (Section 1 - 5abc Gesture). I need to get a grip on gesture ASAP.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to post it in the tutorials section here aswell http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...23#post2689423

Last edited by Whirly; March 28th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing progression since first post! If you keep at this pace, you'll go far in little time. The 3d girl head is especially good. Keep those studies coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment in my sb, i see your work and you improve a lot man!!!!!
    keep going, i wait for your updates.
    I will try to learn like you, with vilpu and hampton.
    see u in the way

learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Abrodos: Thanks man its always great to hear that progress is being made. I need to keep working on that girl head but got annoying computer problems holding me back lol

ajtabril: Thanks man Good luck with the studies. I think you have a bit of a head start on me though. For a master at the Vilppu/Hampton stuff check out Sir Cam's SB

Done a couple of pages of gestures today not really worth posting though. I felt they were really useful for me but to look at its just a page of mess. Will make sure to organise it a bit better for posting next time.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Thankd for stopping by my Sketchbook!
    Wow, there is so much improvement in your sketchbook from your first post to your last...
    It's good how you are doing many different styles of work and using different media, you're definitely doing whats right for you! Your gestures are coming along greatly too, these is a good sense of form and movement in them. You should go ahead and post the gestures anyway, as its better to post everything in your sketchbook- good or bad, as nobody will mind and you are here to learn! So the more help the better!
    Keep up the great work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.