Interior environment drawing and view points
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Interior environment drawing and view points

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Interior environment drawing and view points

I'm having a little trouble with drawing interior environments. The problem is trying to achieve an interesting angle and view point, whilst also giving a good display of the environment itself.

The smaller nature of rooms and such drastically limits the amount of freedom the view point has. I'm not sure what to do about it. I could go for a one point perspective, but that feels dull to the eye and not very exciting.

An isometric view point would show the environment, but it wouldn't put the viewer in the world.

Advice and such much appreciated. I'm finding it kind of hard in general to find good resources on environment drawing. I've looked at some architecture books and stuff, but a lot of it seems rather vague to me, as I have no education in the subject beyond what I can learn myself.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The shortest answer?

Hit the library and check out lots of Masters (new and old)-- see what they were doing with interiors.

Otherwise, go places with your sketchbook and draw.

Rough sketches and thumbnails will generate a lotta information for you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good advice from Kamber - take your sketchbook to interior public places and go for it - just try to get the general perspectives correct - they don't have to be fully finished drawings - you're trying to get a feel for interesting angles within interior environments. Try to find places that aren't super busy and crowded with people and all kinds of stuff (Mcdonald's/Starbucks = bad). Instead try to get to larger public spaces like City Hall, airport, train station, etc. where you can really see and understand perspective.

Also look for some interior perspective grid paper - you'll find it in various sizes and perspectives at architecture/engineering/drafting supply stores.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another tip:

Google SketchUp could help you too

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.