Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think nothing will change. They might change some marketing strategies for some of the products but the rest [and especially painter] will remain as it is.

"As it is" being: it will stick to the same dev schedule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by laxon View Post
    I think nothing will change.
    Why is that?

Last edited by Doug B; November 25th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hope they've got a plan with some money behind it. The now need to rewrite Painter to compete with AR3, that's pretty clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really doubt any changes will happen, aside from marketing strategies.
    Maybe they'll push developers to shorten the production time for painter 12 but I don't think it will be anything remarkable as a release.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting to me that when the article describes Corel's product line, Painter is not even mentioned.

The omission could be due to the small user base for Painter, an unintentional editing oversight, or perhaps a harbinger of doom.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I thought exactly the same thing. I think it's probably the smaller user base plus the fact that painting always seems to be perceived as something peripheral.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    I really doubt any changes will happen, aside from marketing strategies.
    Maybe they'll push developers to shorten the production time for painter 12 but I don't think it will be anything remarkable as a release.
    Even shorter? I hope not. I didn't buy Painter 11 because of all the bugs I'm hearing of. I shudder to think what happens when they shorten the dev time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I hope they've got a plan with some money behind it. The now need to rewrite Painter to compete with AR3, that's pretty clear.
    I second this. Painter by now is full to the brim with old code and leftovers from older versions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah and Corel's records show a painter user base of only 39 users, this can't be right can it?

LOL!!! What are their user base like anywayz?

Pirates!!!

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter never got as much recognition as photoshop if you refer to the userbase.
    Corel tried to push it into entertainment industry by the time version IX and 10 were released, but I have no idea what exact direction they took with 11.
    I have no idea if there're any numbers published.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Corel just doesn't get it. I hope this purchase does something to this once great software. With every release I hope that they are going to get rid of the bugs and make it as reliable as PhotoShop. But it's always the same. They add some useless new brushes like Real Bristle whatever they call it and ignore what real users are asking for. You still can't resize the layers palette on a PC!

Sketchbook Pro 2010 does drawing better. ArtRage mimics real painting better - hey look at that, I can move my document around and there are no screen issues. Paint should be put to death. Sorry for the rant. Painter X just keeps crashing every time I hover my stylus over it. Time to reinstall... again...

Oh and just to put some more fuel on the fire, here's a review of Painter 11 from Dermot Power (Batman Begins, Harry Potter)

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1MLZ8562WKCG8

Last edited by RogerAdams; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAdams View Post
    Corel just doesn't get it. I hope this purchase does something to this once great software. With every release I hope that they are going to get rid of the bugs and make it as reliable as PhotoShop. But it's always the same. They add some useless new brushes like Real Bristle whatever they call it and ignore what real users are asking for. You still can't resize the layers palette on a PC!

Sketchbook Pro 2010 does drawing better. ArtRage mimics real painting better - hey look at that, I can move my document around and there are no screen issues. Paint should be put to death. Sorry for the rant. Painter X just keeps crashing every time I hover my stylus over it. Time to reinstall... again...

Oh and just to put some more fuel on the fire, here's a review of Painter 11 from Dermot Power (Batman Begins, Harry Potter)

That's a very interesting review, Painter 6 is indeed the last great version, also the sliders issue I sent that complain to Rick Champagne (previous Product Manager) when Painter 9 came out among all the issues with the UI to which none was address. It's a shame that all the problems and bugs with Painter are still present after all these versions with no real answer to why that is, we can only speculate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You still can't resize the layers palette on a PC!
    Corel gets bought!

but you're right on the other points
    thank you for the link as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=ikken;2537699
    but you're right on the other points
    thank you for the link as well[/QUOTE]

You're right, I was wrong. The palettes can be resized if they are separated. If it's grouped with another it's locked. Thanks for the pic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The palettes can be resized if they are separated. If it's grouped with another it's locked.
    If you hover your cursor over the base of the Layers Palette, just above the New Layer icon, you will get a little double arrow that allows you to resize the palette without undocking.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey look at that, I can move my document around and there are no screen issues.
    This is one of the worst bugs in Painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter should definitley be re-written, maybe even add 64bit support, and also, rethink the UI (specially the brush selection manager UI) it's all so complicated it hurts.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've started to move to Photoshop from Painter, because Photoshop has always been rock solid to me (although I've heard some bad stuff about the newest versions; I'm using CS1). Maybe it is that I've used PS much longer than Painter but somehow PS just feels much more mature compared to Painter. All the little problems with Painter just make me feel bad even before opening the program.

I must admit, though, that the latest version has overall behaved quite well on my hackintosh, although at some point it had the infuriating -18 -problem where the program wouldn't even start, but for some reason it's been opening alright for the past few weeks. But so many things, e.g. the document handling (layers, resizing etc.), just works much better in Photoshop. And PS just feels much much more polished.

Actually I probably wouldn't even have thought about moving to Photoshop for painting without Massive Black's tutorials and Photoshop-forum here. At first when I saw that Jason Chan had many tutorials for Photoshop I couldn't understand why he just wouldn't use Painter instead, but when I started painting in PS after his tutorials myself I noticed that you can really paint quite well in PS, too.

In a way I like Painter a lot, but then again it frustrates me in so many ways. I first started using it really in the version 8, and after that I've always wanted to see some real improvements in the new versions, but in the end the program really hasn't changed that much. It makes me wonder how small bunch of coders are working on it at Corel, or whoever owns it. At the same I understand that Photoshop probably has made me used to certain things that are much easier in PS, and probably they are trademarked. I just wish that Painter would focus on making the whole user experience better. I don't want to ditch it completely since you still can do lot of stuff in it that PS hasn't got, but at the moment PS is winning in my eyes. And I don't even like Adobe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry for derailing this thread but Sidebard did an interview with Dermot Power (link).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does it mean anything?

Funny that this thread came up just as Corel Painter Magazine http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk/ became Digital Artist Magazine. http://www.digitalartistdaily.com/

As a subscriber to Painter Magazine, I just received issue number one of Digital Artist Magazine as a replacement for the remainder of my subscription. Digital Artist covers Photoshop, Painter, ArtRage, Manga Studio and even Adobe Illustrator, among others.

I like the newer magazine because it covers so much more.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A small note. The brush selector bar is customizable (albeit a few bugs). You don't HAVE to have that massive drop down list. When you activate the drop down, notice the arrow on the right? Change to thumbnail view.

You can also do that with the dabs, to thumbnail or stroke view. The problem with stroke view is that it still has that bug I reported in Painter X and it will screw up or even crash the program..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt View Post
    Funny that this thread came up just as Corel Painter Magazine http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk/ became Digital Artist Magazine. http://www.digitalartistdaily.com/

As a subscriber to Painter Magazine, I just received issue number one of Digital Artist Magazine as a replacement for the remainder of my subscription. Digital Artist covers Photoshop, Painter, ArtRage, Manga Studio and even Adobe Illustrator, among others.

I like the newer magazine because it covers so much more.
    Hehe, I think we all saw this move coming. While reading most of the articles in all of the 2009 issues up to date, you'll see no less than 3-4 solid references to a digital artist using Photoshop to wrap up the job. They've also had a plug for Layers magazine (don't quote me on that though, it may have been something I've seen on the site), and I think they actually reviewed Artrage. Made me look at the cover to make sure it said "Corel Painter"........

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reading this article over I will say that WordPerfect and Corel Draw and maybe a few programs will survive ,but Painter will ether be killed or sold (again) I am reading the numbers they are talking and knowing how nearly ever company in Tech and software that has prob.em are like the car makers are cut production to fit the needs and demands and this could go that way for Painter I think if they think Painter had such a low user base (which I think isn't true) They will sell it off or it will just die.

I been using WordPerfect for like forever as well as some of the other products and Painter I use since its came out and owned from version 4 (Fractal Paint out of the can) I have like all versions even with 11's bugs I would like to see it given a better chance with some company that would put more time and effort to make it even better and maybe a better pricing

Looking at some of the comments I am seeing no one talk about Painter at all.
    I wonder if Wacom could or some company could take it over?

I like Painter I use it more than PS and I think a lot people do.
    I do think there are a lot of artist that get Painter but not the way they should. I Don't know but looking that Painter demo or full version comes with near every Wacom sale to say the user base is low would be kind off as well .
    If people want Painter to do better or not get killed it will mean putting in some support for it. (Major support) Could everyone live with Painter 11 being the last version with no support? even if Painter 12 makes it out before they cut it free will people buy it knowing it could be the last version ever?but that could go for the current version as well .

time will tell and I hope some is watching what happens with this take over at Coirel as i would not like to see Painter get Axed .

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They didn't mention selling painter as well to start with.
    I don't think wacom has any interest in producing in-house painting software since they've been on the market for like 20 years and didn't write anything on their own
    I can see Autodesk buying painter out and screwing it up even more, but who knows, time will show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could see Autodesk making a play for it too.....I don't know if they have track record for screwing up acquired properties....do they? I see they own 3DSmax and Maya, years ago one would pick either flavor. Now they've developed Mudbox to compete with Z-Brush.....purchasiing Painter tech and merging it with Mudbox or making the two a viable drag-and-drop combo would be awesome, but not practical. Autodesk would automatically jack the price for Painter up in the $500USD + zone, upgrade pricing might be $50 less if that.......no deal. I personally wanted to see Adobe acquire it so my next CS purchase will be all inclusive and even better yet I'd be able to copy/paste - drag/drop between all CS apps, but it seems the new patch coming out for P11 will address the copy/paste deal at least with PS. Mention of this cooled my jets almost immediately, I'm looking forward to trying this out. Painter is Painter, the sponsor doesn't really affect my decision, Painter X has it's quirks (some that make me want to drive a truck clean through the front wall of my studio, aiming for my workstation), and it's Corel branded, but still it's a program I use almost every single day. I'm one that wants to see the Painter have a good home that will improve and advance it's performance, the brand doesn't really matter to me.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chipsterology For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    autodesk also bought xsi, and mudbox isn't their own development as well.

I don't really care what's going to happen, unless there're some really positive changes.
    if there aren't, I'll just stick to my painter x for another couple of years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    autodesk also bought xsi, and mudbox isn't their own development as well.
    Pretty sure that Mudbox was developed by WETA for Lord of the Rings, then spun off into a separate company. Then Auto desk bought Mudbox about a year or two ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're right

it's really sad they fallen into "one feature per year" marketing trap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're right

it's really sad they fallen into "one feature per year" marketing trap.
    Hey, it's Autodesk, what can I say?!?

They buy companies, they don't innovate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter is the program that got me to this site .. I don't that to see it go down due to people who are not artist not marketing it right.
    the fact that Corel changed the mag name means they are about to change .
    but i next seem to like the mag as it seem to be trying to copy IFX and it was just focused on one program but so are all the PS mags as well.
    May that it is opening up i look at it again.
    I am looking at Artrage 3 pro it looks night but i like Painter and as i said i watch it grow up and i think it need to be work on by people who understand art.. Adobe is about $$ more than the product (sorry I known people who work for them they said some of the programmer are well not very bright) Autodesk killed Maya an 3D max . I started my digital art back in the early Amiga days with D paint and Opal paint ,Vistpro ,Art department(Ad pro) and many program many of you never heard of . I still run them on my Amiga's i have running(it good to be VP of one of the last clubs access to parts) Painter has come a long way from when i started using it (Painter 4 under Fractal paint) So seeing it get better is one thing i want .
    Opal paint came out as part of video editing Card that was trying to take part of the market from the Newtek people Video Toaster systems and Paint and 3D program Light wave. Some of what is in Painter NOW Opal paint had in 95 believe it or not. Ad pro was like that PS is today and all ran under 2 to 5 meg of ram . So I think some need to make call and find out what going on with Painter and get Corel to tell us rather than wait and see .. Corel seeming no one up in arms could be more likely to sell it off if no one said anything.

CC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.