Gen Ed?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gen Ed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gen Ed?

Hello everyone! Well today has been a pretty horrible day for me. I found out I can't get private loans for a certain art school I wanted to attend. Apparently Sallie Mae stopped lending funds for all non-accredited trade schools as of August 2009...so this throws a huge wrench into my plans. I am not rich by any means so I am going to need financial assistance of some kind help with the tuition of any school.

This forces me to look into bigger schools such as SCAD, Ringling, etc. I do not want a degree. I don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for general education courses. Is there any way to attend any of these Art Universities while only taking their art courses? I have emailed a few of the schools about this but I figured I would ask you guys too.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you haven't already, check out the plans for The Art Department.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172141

Seems like what you are looking for (don't need a degree, cheaper price, no Gen Eds)

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilas990 View Post
    If you haven't already, check out the plans for The Art Department.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172141

Seems like what you are looking for (don't need a degree, cheaper price, no Gen Eds)

Good luck
    Thanks! I am eagerly awaiting the official announcment. I know the school part is cheap but there has been no word on how the traveling portion of the school is to be paid. The lack of information has forced me to look elsewhere but it is still on the top of my list. I am just looking for a back up in case this falls through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One option is to attend a community college first and get general ed classes out of the way. Almost all schools will accept the transfer credits.

Another option is to attend school with no intention of ever graduating. No one will actually stop you, though advisers will badger you some. You should take a careful look at prerequisites before trying this, though, as liberal arts courses may be required for certain studio classes you want.

A final note, you shouldn't be to quick to dismiss the value of general education classes. Keep in mind that as a concept artist, you're not being paid to make pretty pictures. You're paid to come up with ideas, and the more material you have to draw on, the more creative you'll be. You have to be able to paint a good picture in order to communicate said idea, but that's ultimately secondary, as the final audience will never see your painting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, Don't discount the value of a degree. It can open up a lot of doors. You never know what will happen in the future.

I think the idea of first going to a community college to knock out all the gen eds is a good one. You can then transfer to a school like SCAD and finish up. Some schools, however, make it hard to transfer due to low numbers of accepted students. Ringling is one of those, although I think if you apply for anything other than their animation program, you will be fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kvanzant View Post
    Hello everyone! Well today has been a pretty horrible day for me. I found out I can't get private loans for a certain art school I wanted to attend.
    Trust me, you were probably saved decades of emotional turmoil, lol.

Please PLEASE do not get a PRIVATE loan to pay for art school. Get a FEDERAL loan. Simply do some reading online. That is one of the financial cardinal sins that many of my graphic artist friends are paying for.

The interest rates on private loans are outrageously higher (often double), you can never defer or put the loans in forbearance if you can't pay on them for some reason, they have zero flexibility in changing your minimum payment or allowing you to catch up if you fall behind, your interest rate is not locked - your lender can decide to raise it at any time (which they will).

Seriously, there's ton of news articles on the nightmares of using private loans to fund school. Stick with Federal loans. Paying 10-13%+ interest on $120K is going to have you in debt over $300K by time your done with school. No school is worth taking out a private loan for.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.