"Sketchbook Clinic" by George Pratt and Carl Dobsky NOW ON DEMAND

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts

"Sketchbook Clinic" by George Pratt and Carl Dobsky NOW ON DEMAND

"Sketchbook Clinic" by George Pratt and Carl Dobsky
    $45.00 THIS WEEKEND ONLY!!!
    NOW ON DEMAND!!!

Developing your personal perspective: Methods, techniques, and theory to help you achieve a unique viewpoint.

Sketchbooks have become an art form in an of itself. But I find, more and more, that students and professionals are having trouble getting their best work from the sketchbook into finished work outside of the sketchbook.

A sketchbook, for me, has been a handy place to record observations about the world I live in, an ideation tool, journal/notepad and a launchpad for experimentation. I'll talk all of this and more, and give examples of, observational drawing, composition, etc. We will look at a variety of important solutions to getting the most out of your sketchbook, developing your mind and eye, improving communication, and achieving success in your finished works. - George Pratt

Examples will be given of various artists' sketchbooks as well: Egon Schiele, Toulouse Lautrec, George Grosz, Eduard Thony, Ronald Searle, and more!

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 28th :: Starting at 12:00 PM PST

Name:  Cold Mountain 01.jpg
Views: 3480
Size:  196.5 KBName:  sudankartoomcolor.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  67.8 KBName:  brahma.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  101.6 KB

$95.00 Store Link here:
    http://www.conceptartstore.com/skandobdr.html

Last edited by TAD Admissions: Scott Richeson; December 12th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Looking forward to the Saturday class!

Hey, all,

Really looking forward to the class on Saturday. I've pulled in some scans from lots of artists that I think will be incredibly educational, but also mindblowing. We'll dive into all kinds of issues, but mainly how to make your work live and breathe on the page. How to get from the sketchbook to the finish outside of the sketchbook, and lots more.

Here are a few images from various artists. More in the class itself!

George

Lautrec

George Grosz

Jules Pascin

Eduard Thony

Francis Vallejo

Andrew Wright

Ted Kinsella

Doug Chayka

Myself

And much, much more! Hope to see you all there!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,908 Times in 2,478 Posts
    George,

Not sure of some process and have questions. I hope that is ok.

In college I came across your graphic novels and they were proof that an artist could be someone who could both appreciate historical artists but also take their teachings to whole other genre. I can tell you this much. The first time I saw them, I told myself, if I ever wished I had made something it was those novels. Did you do any sketch process work or sketchbook work on those?

Do you have ability to post any of those here for the attendees and community to see what I mean? They were so dramatic and powerful and moody and juicy with the blood of Sargent's water colors...I really loved the intensity of a ton of those shots. Brush work alone...worthy of time spent ogling them.

Was happy to hear that they are required reading at West Point. Is amazing to see how art can impact culture in ways which will last for generations. No doubt the sketchook is a big part of how you got there. Would love to hear more.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get an additional month for free!

Thanks
    Cool. This is really going to be interesting

Btw, I guess I have to ignore the 4051 days right? It's in 14 hours right?

Thanks

Sketchbook Class!

There is no one better to be covering this topic than George Pratt. Over the years at The Illustration Academy or just traveling with George he is never apart from his sketchbook, he is totally dedicated to this process. George also has the historical knowledge to expand beyond just his experiences and bring other artist into the lesson.

The sketchbook is were an artist trains their hand and eye as well as their brain. It is the private place were an artist goes to search and explore, not to show off or be concerned with what others think. If used properly the sketchbook is the first place an artist creates personal point-of-view and develops their ideas into visual solutions.

Recently I have had the opportunity to see some of Carl Dobsky's sketchbook and preliminary studies, they blew me away. The addition of his information combined with George Pratt's will make this class one not to miss!

John

Thanks

Cow **CA's SKETCHBOOK Page Inoculation TRIALS – Winners Don't Pay for Saturday Class!**

Show off for your classmates and instructors - and maybe your class is FREE!

Upload your favorite personal sketchbook page here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174981

For the cause of creative health, ConceptArt.Org encourage entrants to attend Saturday’s SKETCHBOOK CLINIC with George Pratt & Carl Dobsky. It’s part of the Thanksgiving weekend sale so it’s only $45.00 :]

Here's the link to the class thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174769

If you’re in the class and your art is selected, you’ll be given a REFUND so the class is free! If not, you’ll get a $45 credit towards another class of your choice.

Yay free!

xOHx

Thanks
    Good will learn a lot here

Thanks
    Good will learn a lot here

Thanks

Who the hell is George Pratt???

Since I'm working on trying to get this class filled, I wanted to find out more about Pratt to see why I thought people should take his class.

Here's a paraphrased bio for George:

George Pratt is a successful painter and an experienced instructor - George has illustrated some of DC’s most awarded covers. His first published work was for Marvel’s Epic Illustrated #20 in 1983, and in 1990 DC published his also award-winning graphic novel, Enemy Ace: War Idyll – which later became required reading at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Pratt is currently working on the book See You in Hell, Blind Boy: A Tales of the Blues, and based on his research of the Mississippi Delta with Steven Budlong and James McGillion, Pratt made a documentary film about his Mississippi travels, also called See You in Hell, Blind Boy. The film won Best Feature Documentary at the 1999 New York International Independent Film & Video Festival.

Apparently, George is a firm believer that the sketchbook is the root of any artists individual point of view and has information and input for us which is organized, well presented, and fully informational, as well as inspiring. This is a very special class. Best part is, it is less than half price this weekend. W00t!

In other words, this guy knows his stuff, has the goods, and is bringing them home to us. Your support goes to the improvement of your learning and international art education here on conceptart.org.

Also, i attached a couple more images I thought were super cool during my research - including one from his sketchbook while he's taking a "break" :]

xOHx

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Jacki OH; November 27th, 2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added image

Thanks

More on Dobsky

Here's more of the lowdown on Dobsky -->

*Carl Dobsky* was born in Victoria, Texas in 1972. He is an alumni of Jacob Collin's Water Street Atelier in New York. Prior to that, he studied fine art in both the Ringling School of Art in Florida and in New York, obtaining an M.F.A from the New York Academy of Art. Since then he has gone on to run the Next-Gen Atelier where his program won the award for World's Best Digital Painting School.
    His palette consists primarily of earth tones, focusing on painting real objects that are a part of his everyday life. Much of his inspiration comes from his existence in urban scenes and the artistan's own milieu. There is an element of grittiness, masterfully composed, that lends to his subjects a poetic sense of beauty in their somberness. At other times, he uses dramatic colors to show the unique and sublime qualities of the city skyline at various moments of the day.

Dobsky is consistently striving to explore and widen the diversity of his subject matter. His figurative works play with notions of self-image and identity, a task that has fascinated many contemporary artists. His observation and executions are exemplary, using various vantage points to capture moods, attitudes, and personality traits -- one of the many ingenious techniques that are successfully rendered with great style in his creations. He spends considerable time in his sketchbook and from that place of ideas, nearly all of his works are born.

Here's some of his work: http://www.johnpence.com/visuals/pai...bsky/index.htm

I attached a couple images, too :]

xOHx

*select bio text courtesy of www.johnpence.com

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Hey quick question, as I haven't done one of these classes before. What is the length of the class? Just wanna know how much time to set aside tomorrow so I wont be interrupted. And is there a break or anything in the middle if its more than a couple hours?
    Thx!

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - BLOG - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

My old Sketch Thread

Thanks
    crap, I can't make it to the class tomorrow. Any chance another one of these will be taught later on?

Thanks
    George's sketchbooks are always the envy of the Academy. His sketchbooks journal the nuances of his day to day life, which is a method that has been passed on to him from his legendary instructor, Barron Storey, who in turn learned it from Robert Weaver.

It's an amazing revelation to discover that you are part of such a rich lineage, and that you live on through your work, and the work of those that you inspire.

George, thank you for all of the inspiration over the years! Good luck tomorrow to you and Carl- this is going to be great!

s.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sektor2814 View Post
    crap, I can't make it to the class tomorrow. Any chance another one of these will be taught later on?
    You can purchase the access code now and catch it on demand. The whole class is going to be recorded (Speach, video, chat, whiteboard, EVERYTHING) and we'll have another 30 days to watch it over and over and over again

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey can someone help, i ordered this class and got the confirmation mail, there was supposed to be something at the bottom of the page but it's not there!! there's only a "keep shopping" button.

Thanks
    There should be a Download button on the right side on the page. (When paying with PayPal) Did you pay with PayPal or Credit card? If you did the latter, you should wait for an email saying the order was approved with a link that will lead you to the download.

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Will benefit from the many lessons on how to make pictures. I recommend these cheap gold gems of knowledge to anybody. Get it on demand.

Thanks
    Always been told to keep a sketchbook but not exactly sure how to use it to its full extend? Have trouble leaving your doodles and sketches and starting on a finished piece? Making precious drawings and illustrations in the sketchbook but the work outside the sketchbook look like cr*p?

Than this is the class to take! Get all of these questions answered and see tons of sketchbook pages by George Pratt and other great artists. You'll get your moneys worth. And hey, it's for $45 right now, you'd be a fool to let this one slip trough!

I enjoyed it and I got tons of valuable information out of this class and I know you will to. So it's your choice, spend $45 on a new pair of jeans or spend it on this class and obtain valuable information that will last a lifetime.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For those of you who might be interested and can forgive my lousy spelling, Ive posted scans of my notes in my sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=152530&page=2

Members who have read this thread: 1