Spartan Camp #115 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Movement Cycle"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 676 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 29th of November.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional Study of "Movement Cycle", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study: Most poses, even the static ones, are part of a certain movement or motion. A gesture is both coming from, and going to an action. Think of your pose as a single frame of an animation. This is an important element of gesture drawings, as it conveys purpose and realism.
    This weeks optional study is to draw the subsequent steps (say, 3 or 4). Sort of like a walking cycle. You can use your imagination or animators' walk cycles. You can grab a film, or a video on youtube. Any movement or action will do. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are also up to you! Have fun!
    (topic inspired by CA streaming course 'creating dynamic poses for art and animation' by Chris Hatala)

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #114

Anthis
    shiNIN
    chamo
    dboyd
    bakadoodle

Last edited by Anthis; November 25th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dug these picture up, with some wonderful gestures. Think those in the first picture are done by Bumskee, correct me if I'm wrong. The second thumbnail has gestures by CWN_annw, who is the original creator of this activity. Enjoy and absorb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds really challenging (for me), but I am definitely going to attempt it. Might not post if it ends up an utter fail, but I am going to try.

Anthis - some real nice gestures there, thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    as in a case of the 50 gestures, the optional can be movement of an animal, right?
    a jumping or running big cat is very pretty...
    but maybe I do two, I have no job now and I want to draw a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the goal is to draw 50 poses or gestures? What is the difference between a pose and a gesture?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so i decided to work on this today, and do as much as i can!!

I did a few figures from posemaniac, and one of them i detailed, and in the end it became an original character with colour scheme..

On that optional objects in perspective i tried to do a little value study too, and my ref is this one right here: http://paulussebastian.deviantart.co...Dance-91451483

For the cycle thingy, i used a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2o1SYXaOHE
    I never ever did one of these cycle-thingies, considering them hard to do and..well..i don't know why, but i feel good now that i did one

Critique would be very welcomed!!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN; Of course! Sounds great.
    darksoulzero ; Gestures are typically quick drawings, of up to 5 minutes. Mainly focused on studying the human figure in motion or in certain poses. They're ment for exploration and practice. Quick studies, with or without reference. Aside from this, you don't really have to worry about the specific naming. You can also check some of the latest spartan camps to get a general idea. Have fun!

BlackDelphin; Welcome! Nice cycle, you got the right idea. Great reference too. Note how the first poses are very subtle in movement, which seems to make them tougher. Remember that troughout the cycle, his torso and hips are moving too! It can be a good idea to look at those parts first, as they sort of 'dictate' the rest of the figure. The last sketch is really dynamic, and I think you really nailed it.
    Nice posemaniacs poses. They can be complicated and tough because of the overlapping forms. A good idea is to simplify the forms in your mind (or on paper) by envisioning those forms as simple blocks and circles. Just to get a little more feel of the shapes. Nice job! You're not shy of the tough poses provided by posemaniacs. Don't hold back on yourself!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi ~ I'm sorry but I won't be concise this time either but I'm enthusiastic

thanks for the optional for the last week! now when I use a reference for a tiny drawing on Tegaki (and it happens a lot), I don't worry so much when I need a bit different angle and I use my little knowledge better and my scanning skills less this way.

I like the current optional too... at first I thought, ouch it will be tough, useful but difficult and the little coward in my tried to tell me it has not even a comfort zone, it can't draw anything - but I haven't really heard thinking of beautiful cheetahs.

then I easily find a youtube video, well the best part wasn't very clear even in "hd" quality but at least I won't make brainless copy pictures (they were only half brainless, I need to draw them by memory too).
    I drew 4 gestures. there were one horrible one (when the running animall is closest to being a ball, tangled legs and I don't quite understand it yet) and I replaced it with a little easier one. I felt the last one was unbalanced too... but when I redid these two, the two earlier weren't good enough for them... with time I improved much it seems

but it went quickly. I left the blurryness or the legs as it was in the video because it consists some information and beauty too, at least I liked it I mean the original blurring, not what I did...

I draw very little these days, I haven't gotten my energy back yet, my other gestures come later

I think it would be more useful for me now if I drew something for multiple times, with different approach each time...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More no ref.
    I tried the cycle thing...
    Maybe I'll give it another shot in a couple days. Coming down with a cold.

Resizing this butchered it for some reason.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no optional this time. I went to Dr. Sketchy Singapore yesterday.

Some sketches from pictures.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggnastist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I slept too much last night -> headache, plus spartan camp deadline, high time to draw... gestures almost always mean struggle and stress for me, but today it was enjoyable and my head got better!
    that annoying thing again... I struggle so much, seemingly in vain - then comes a day when everything is so easy and nice... I hope the struggle wasn't in vain after all.

all referenced:

somewhat rushed; I put the darker lines barely or not looking at the refs, I definitely got better.

Tegaki girls. the first two are my own characters, Ola and Euthalia (she's new and a nymph).
    the last pose is referenced (gracefulnudes.com), the other two not. the middle one is very rushed - after I spent TWO hours on the basic sketch... even the simplest gesture is difficult for me if I do it without any reference... the first one was surprisingly quick.
    (attachment because I'm not the type who avoids drawing nipples at all costs at all but photobucket moderators are different; and 100% is the best)

Last edited by shiNIN; November 29th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    editing with comments tomorrow -

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN;That's good - remain curious and draw everything. The optionals are just ment to give you a little push or have you try something new. Get you out of the comfort zone. Nice job. And that's a nice exercise with the darker lines too. The clothed figures are always nice too. Its anatomy with a little catch - a good challenge. If you notice those sketches are really slow and painful (like you said 2 hours), you may want to try a different approach. Like drawing many simple gestures, and then pick the one you like in the end. It will often work better than starting 1 pose and keep changing and changing and changing. Plus, repetition works!

bakadoodle; Still the crazy perspectives and foreshortening! I'm not sure if you are using an anatomy book, or drawing without reference. I could have forgotten. I think your figures somewhat look as if you learned from Hogarth's books. But the poses themselves look unreferenced. Either way I recommend keeping reference nearby at least, so that you can check for differences with your own figures. Look at things like proportions and shapes. For example, in some of your poses you exaggerate the muscles. Compare this with actual reference, and you'll notice some differences. You will surely learn!

ggnastist; Great Dr. sketchy again, I envy that. Hope they'll one day start that in Amsterdam too. I understand it's somewhat anti-art school though. Still, my approach may be somewhat academic, hope you don't mind! Those sketches are wonderful. Notice you get in trouble with foreshortening sometimes, mainly the proportions. Limbs can get too small. You can try and 'plan' further ahead. Work on the whole figure as one, instead of small parts at a time. Those sort of things can help. Those folds are getting stronger too! Good stuff.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome - starting this straight away and likely looking back at others... glad to finally find these threads! Needed some prodding. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN - I totally know that feeling. Sometimes things just click. While the last set of gestures looks a little "rushed" I can tell that you were "seeing" the full image in your mind. The tegaki ones need some propotion work, but are full of character Keep at those. Always seemed easier for me to learn from doing something I loved. (Hence most of my doodles are female )

Anthis - I've always tried to study all your gestures, using them as a benchmark of perfection, because you manage to capture some delicate nuances of form most people miss. That being said (and please don't hate me) these were not your best. Most of them feel very static and posed, unlike your previous posts. Still very inspiring though. As far as my technique, I don't have one, I almost never use references, and don't study books I just kinda keep doing it until I get it right. If I get over this flu I'll do some more referenced gestures next week. Thanks for pushing me

ggnastist - Other than Anthis' observation about your proportions, I noticed some issues with distorted perspectives. Like the top right one under "sketches from pictures" Her nose looks like it is almost lying flat against her face, you would not see that much of her nostril from that angle. Sometimes even the slightest distortion of perspective can throw off an entire picture.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle - I think you're actually right on the money there. At first I thought it was somewhat of a mixed bag with bad and decent ones. But after your comment I had to compare with some previous ones and I realize they're just not as good. They're 'forced', resulting in stiff poses. I think one of the reasons is that I didn't really take it seriously this week, I just did some poses 'in between'. Sort of drawing on the autopilot. I didn't really make any effort. Thanks for you feedback!
    I wouldn't be shy of using reference and art books if I were you (if you are). You can't generate knowledge of the human body of your own, it has to come from somewhere. Whether it be observation, reference, or books. Plus, anatomy can be just plain tough. The pros and people at the top of the page had to learn it somehow, I'll guarantee you most (if not all of them) really studied it one way or another. I remember from the anatomy streaming class that was here on CA a while ago how many people learned from Bridgman, including names like Frank Frazetta.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First 25

Half way there... the fellas are done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about that 2 hours sketch... the original one was very quick and nice for the first sight, but when I started to add more anatomy, it suddenly became wrong and lost its charm too... I experienced it already but this time the original has a bit bended anatomy (the type that still looks good, I was lucky) and I lacked knowledge to make it into a decent more detailed piece...
    [I got better with shoulders, but below the waist I'm lost]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: hey, thank you for those advices. I always do get in trouble with proportions. I do try to do a rough gesture at first. then while going into detail, I'll be making them too big. thus all the wrong proportions. I'm trying to apply the boxes and cyclinders in those figures.
    I do wanna get academically trained to get the basics right.

bakadoodle: yeah, i did overlook that part. thnx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I still join with this one? Or shall I wait on the next one?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deadline was over in Sunday, you should draw and wait for the new one... I hope Anthis won't forget to make a new thread... usually it's up this time of the week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sigh... onwards and upwards.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.