Art: A walk cycle a week
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A walk cycle a week

Hey everyone Ive decided to broaden my horizons a bit, and try my hand at animation. Ive got a few books and a good amount of reference and it seems like a good way to practice is to do a walk cycle. So I am going to be trying to add at least one 3d walk cycle a week to my studies and I will be sharing them with you.

Here is my first. If you have any tips/crts/comments please let me know, it would be very appreciated.

Attached Files Attached Files
    *New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! FYI, you might want to either loop your cycle more than once OR save it as a .mov in h264 (or was it h261?) or animation. It'll help potential viewers see your work better and enhance your chances to get feedback.
    Firstly, you're off to a great start. Keep practicing and you'll sharpen your timming skills. Right now, everything seems a bit too slow. I'd go in further detail but VLC just makes it impossible to review your animations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    look at how people walk in real life, once their foot gets off the ground, their toes doesnt curl up. and he is walking a bit in slow motion

@egerie you can open an avi file in pretty much any player, and just set your player to loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. As egerie said; maybe you should speed things up a bit. also, there is something about the arm movements that doesn't quite stick with me. try posting a perfect side view of the animation so that i can look at it some more ;-)

Its all in your mind

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I know he was walking a bit slow in the first one. I was going for just being able to make him move and not look completely off. This week ( I know its been a bit more than a week) Ive sped things up.

As for the weird arm movements, Im finding that when animating the arms they seem to do a weird circular motion that I dont understand. Im sure this is a common problem because it happens whenever I do animations regardless of the model. If someone knows what Im talking about, and knows how to fix/get around this please let me know it would be very appreciated.

Anyways, heres what Ive got. I did render it as a .Mov with the h264 setting and its cleared up alot of the artifacts that were all over the last one. I also did a left view as asked. Please, let me know what you guys think and how I might improve.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. not to burst your bubble here, but i think i prefer the first set of test renders.

here are three pages which might help, from a book which was recommended to me called the animators survival kit. i think you should try and get your hands on it.

as for the hand movement, you concentrated the arm movement from the elow down instead of the shoulder down.

this is a paragraph from another book called animating with blender:

The more realistic you make your characters, the more work you will be making for yourself. After a certain
    point, characters that are very realistic, but not quite perfect, feel creepy to the viewer. This effect is called
    “ the uncanny valley, ” and represents a serious shortfall that you need
    to avoid. A character that has perfect physical modeling and photorealistic
    textures will have to move just like a real person. The human
    brain interprets it visually as “real, ” and when the motion is off it looks
    bizarre. As you approach the stylized side of the scale, you have more
    artistic freedom, both in character creation and in the eventual range
    of motions and actions when you animate.

in other words, you need to figure out what you want to achieve at the end of the day.

i truly hope this helps

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Its all in your mind

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shimish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Shimish, Ive seen the Animators Survival Kit around and I certainly know it is a valuable resource. I'll be getting it soon I'm sure. Just those few pages helped me with a bit of timing.

This week I'm a bit early, I know. But I wont be around my computer for a few days so I figured I should do it early.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps do a tutorial Google search on - "Your software" + "animation curve" + "controls" or some such ... wait what be the software you're workin on? (It looks like Max)
    A graph editor or something equivalent to adjust the motion maybe.

I'm still noob, but CGTalk (if not already a member) should be a nice reference place, and probably more appropriate to get help and feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome.
    This is much better. you are doing great so far, keep it up

Its all in your mind

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.