Sketchbook: SHUT UP and DRAW!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SHUT UP and DRAW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SHUT UP and DRAW!

The only way to improve is by doing, so I'm starting this sketchbook to just practice drawing and painting. My goal is to post at least one study every day until I can draw from imagination effortlessly.

Any comments, advice or critiques are always welcome.

Name:  sb_icon.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  188.9 KB

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribble King For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought it would be fun to start out simple and revisit a book I've had for many years (but never actually drew from it), How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way... but I'm finding out that it's not so simple. LOL

Name:  dtmw_1.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  61.5 KB

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh The Marvel Way...i REMEMBER how booooring those videos were. Those guys made it soo simple i just couldn't stand it. Well dude, those exercises you're doing are looking good. Now, maybe you should put multiple objects in one space, perspective and such. But it's lookin' good, now draw me a spider-man! xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the spirit!
    Nice start, will be looking forward for your progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: Hahaha, all in good time my friend, I'm still trying to learn how to draw a good stick figure.

Noukah: Thanks, I've been procrastinating for way too long, so it was time to do something about it.

Here's what I did today. The plane has some major perspective issues, but the figures and heads came out half way decent, I guess:

Name:  dtmw_2.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  55.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a pretty good start! your lines are so clean lol

let's see some rendered stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it, take magazines or sites like http://posemaniacs.com and keep at it. The more you get into your brain from sketching the better it will be for you in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaytea: Thanks Jay, but what you're not seeing is all of the lines I erased to get those drawings to this point. LOL
    laxon: Yeah, I'm trying to get into the habit of drawing everyday to strengthen my visual memory, which all comes with lots of practice, right?

Busy day today with the holiday and all, but I did manage to get something done (complete with little comical comments to myself, even):

Name:  dtmw_3.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  65.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still taking baby steps with the Marvel book and skipped the section on perspective, since I have a few books dedicated to that already. I tried tackling a few pannels from it via freehand, but they didn't really work out, so I moved on to the figure section and attempted drawing Captain America from the first page of the chapter:

Name:  dtmw_4.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  77.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Sk, you're pretty good. But I only see about one page per day. To remedy this, you should cut back on sleep and maybe skip a meal or two, that way, you'll be drawing more than ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darksoulzero: Good? I don't know about that, I can copy stuff half-ass but drawing anything without reference is a major weakness of mine. And yeah, I suppose if I were in my twenties I could draw more often, but I'm doing the best I can with the spare time available.

Here's today's crappy study on proportion from the book. I have no idea what happened to the first Mr. Fantastic, I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and I seem to have a hard time with faces, too:

Name:  dtmw_5.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  88.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lmao good morale

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was one of my favorite books to learn from back in the day. Careful with the facial features of invisible woman, they look alittle small and out of scale.
    But nice job, they hold pretty faithfully to the book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    garzonious: Thanks, Buscema's style is kind of hard to imitate because he has an uncanny understanding of light & shade while possessing fantastic anatomy skills and uses them to his advantage. So even for an intermediate student, the illustrations in the book are a little unnerving to copy.

With that said, I think the proportion study really helped with this next drawing. It made me pay more attention and do a little measuring before I made any serious marks. It's still pretty messed up, but steps ahead of the previous exercise:

Name:  dtmw_6.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  72.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, it took forever to try and get these to look right, but I think the end result is pretty close. Although Kingpin may be a little to thin, LOL:

Name:  dtmw_7.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  100.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ey man, your drawings are looking good, but let's see some drawings of real people or objects that are around you. I made a bad habit with copying pictures from books which was VERY HARD TO BREAK. Do a figure from your imagination, perhaps a super hero. Don't use reference. I don't care how "dumb" or "funny" it looks, just do it. If you depend on your mind to visualize your characters you will learn much more from one drawing. You may then find yourself researching certain poses and anatomy to understand how the body works. But try to end the copying and allow yourself to figure things out. Keep it going, bro, you're doing good. PEACE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: I'm hip to what you're saying and I completely understand your concern. I've drawn from imagination before (see the sample below), but I thought it would be helpful to study some books and try to get a better understanding of the basic fundamentals, because as you can see, I need a lot of help with anatomy. I realize that drawing from this book probably isn't the best example to follow, but I needed something to keep my interest while getting into the habit of drawing every day and building confidence in my ability. I'm sure everyone goes about it differently and I've already learned quite a bit from these exercises, so it is helping.

I agree that drawing from life is probably the best way to learn and I'll get to that further on down the road. But for now, I'd rather learn from books so when I do draw from life I'll have a better understanding of what I'm doing... if that makes any sense to you.

Name:  mindcandy.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  120.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear ya, man. Didn't mean to come off rude or anything, so I'm sorry if you recieved such feelings. Let me explain myself xD...

For some reason, i don't know why, when i use books i see them as formulas for drawing whatever. This is definately not the case. I study these books as if they'll turn me into a master, however when i draw from my imagination I ALWAYS have much more fun and learn so much more. Everyone has a different way of drawing, and that's what i find fascinating. You're doing the same thing, but approach it differently. Moreover, I always thought any subject that is self taught would be more embedded in your brain. Anatomy books, on the other hand are very useful. I've some very good anatomy books i can tell you about if it's your main focus at the moment. Anyways bro, keep doing what works for you. If the books work for you, run with it. If they start to frustrate you, like they did me, put them down for a bit and draw the way you would naturally draw. Either or, keep drawing everyday. It does the right brain good. PEACE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: Hahaha, I wasn't offended in any way whatsoever and you didn't come off as rude at all, so everything is cool by me.
    Honestly, I think of these books in terms of techniques that artists can use and figure out what works best for them, so they then can apply that knowledge to their own work. And to me, the best way to learn those techniques is by drawing them. In fact, I plan on copying quite a few books I've acquired (Loomis, Bridgman, Hogarth, etc.) so I get a wide range of different approaches under my belt to summon when working from imagination.

So with that in mind, here's what I did today:

Name:  dtmw_8.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  87.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, i really enjoy reading those side comments. I envy your mood about your art, very down-to-earth. I get all competitive, and while it's good motivation it's very frustrating and tiring. The stick figure excercise is looking excellent, but I say push it further. How about going on posemaniacs and identifying the "stick figure" in the poses? Maybe even sketching some people from life but just try and get the stick figure down. It'll make you think about how it would look thus you'd be using your imagination. Just a suggestion. Keep 'em coming, man! PEACE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: Heh, I used to be pretty competitive in my thinking, too (and still am to a certain degree... it's only natural). But then I realized that it doesn't matter if others are better at it, because I'll eventually reach their level one day and maybe even surpass them. The key is to learn any way you can and work to accomplish the small goals one at a time.
    And yeah, I should probably do more stick figures, but I want to finish this book first so I can apply it to the more advanced books I'll be studying. I'm guessing Loomis and Bridgman will suggest doing lots of stick figure and gesture drawings as well.

Anyway, on to today's scribblings:

Name:  dtmw_9.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  106.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice weight to your lines. Also, your forms are taking more shape. Good stuff, but I'm waiting for that dynamic punch-to-the-face drawing

Keep it going! PEACE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your shits looking sick dude. keep up the good work! You know what, bring me the fucking epic. Drown this party in awesome sauce. Lol, sorry, just saw some stupid add.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: Thanks, I'm trying to get in the habit of drawing a bit lighter while maintaining accuracy (which is megaHARD!). Hahaha, no smackdown today, but I doodled some punchy guys at the top to tide you over. XD

darksoulzero: LOL, thanks! Umm, can you wait a few years for that awesome sauce?

Tried doing the chapter illustration of Namor today and as you can see, I think the top of his head needs to be tilted more twards his back. Oh, and I just noticed his butt sticks out too far, as well.

Name:  dtmw_10.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  134.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figures have some great action to them, very dynamic! The head i would turn to the right a bit, and if people mention the butt just say he's been doin' some squats hahaha. The structure looks pretty solid and the muscle definition is great. Also, it's nice that you added in some of the environment and didn't just pay attention to the figure. The shading looks spot on too. Good stuff, man. PEACE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan: Yeah, even though studying the figure is my main focus right now, it seemed obvious that I should also learn how to connect the subject with its surroundings whenever possible.

Nothing fancy for today, just a few gesture drawings... which are full of fail:

Name:  dtmw_11.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  136.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice......really nice, but looks like you're missing one very important step which is the gesture, I can see that your studying structure, but underneath that structure there's a gesture that you should achieve by scratching fearless as much as you need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good so far, I find the little comments hilarious. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres333: Yes indeed, I plan on doing some gesture studies after I finish this book.
    Icedearth15876: Thanks!

Today's study was somewhat challenging as I tried to keep my line-weight consistent, but it seems I still have a long way to go with that:

Name:  dtmw_12.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  110.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These chapter illustrations are fun to do, but I'm not sure I'm really learning anything from them:

Name:  dtmw_13.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  86.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.