Art: latest creature
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: latest creature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

latest creature

hi guys, this is actually my fist post but i wanted to get somthing on here for feedback and crits, so fire away!
    what if mamals and reptiles evolved together and had a decendant today, this is my interpretation of such a creature.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the style of the creature. The reptilian head with the mammalian body in pretty striking actually. As far as a crit, I think you should think more about the differences in the reflectivity of certain types of skin and vary your highlights accordingly. For instance, the more scaley looking bird feed would probably be harder surfaced and smoother, and thus shinier than the skin on it's back or neck, depending of course on what you decided the characteristics of those area were as well. If you gave it some wetness (by making the highlights tighter and more intense, more reflective) around the nose, I think it would add a lot of life to the creature. Varied specular quality is one of those almost under the radar aspects of realism that really takes a piece to another level.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome critter! i really like the concept, and the execution is great! adding to waht Cthogua said, there's also a few quirky tangents going on, in particular the tangent created by the tip of the creatures snout with its rear-left thigh. the pose is great in that youre making the effort to do something other than a plain side on or three-quarter view, but its a little bit jarring to the eye to see that tangent there. what would fix it somewhat is to differentiate your materials with lighting (thanks Cthogua) to work on your edges, maybe some gentle rim light on the snout and a little shadow on the thigh to push it back, give it a greater sense of depth and space another thing i just noticed - you have a joint missing from view, if not altogether, on the front right leg. note the ankle, you should be able to see it bulging under the neckline, but we only see it eventuate into a knee joint, or something that is leading me to assume it is the knee. awesome all the same mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, some valid responses there!
    cthogua: youre quite right, i think i need to do some more practice with a selection of materials and surfaces. i dont tend to vary much in my work. i might do a few little studies.
    stoph: thanks dude, yeah its a slightly odd poes in that its almost longer in hight than in width and it on a lanscape canvas. that together with the tangent does jar somewhat. i couldnt put my finger on what made this image uncomfortable to look at but i think youve nailed the probelm. oh and yeah the right front ankle is all wrong.

thanks guys ,youve given me some things to think about.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.