Thanks

Plein Air Painting

Here are some recent Plein Air Paintings done in California and Austin Texas. Feel free to critique!

Thanks for looking

Attachment 835298
    Attachment 835307
    Attachment 835304
    Attachment 835300
    Last edited by Jordan Lamarre-Wan; November 21st, 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: mistake

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan Lamarre-Wan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Hi Jordan -
    Nice work! Good drawing skills and you obviously paint outdoors well. Since you asked I thought I'd offer a few observations...
    In general try to push your composition a little more - most things seem pretty centered - try to find/develop interesting "paths" for the eye (Carl Rungius, Richard Schmid)

The two rock/hill studies: watch those values especially on the second one - that well lit, bright sky and those dark, broad passages of shadow seem at odds. Also try to keep the sky/ground edge really clean - it can be soft in distance but should still be clean.

The coast scene: The main thing that jumps out is the large foreground shadow from the big rock seems limited to just the water passage - I see a slight shift in the forground sand but that shadow on the water is so dominant - I think it is probably accurate but see if the sand is the right value relative to the sand in light...also there is something funny about the water/horizon just past the breakers? Sort of a "trough" in there instead of a nice flat plane?

On the bottom one I really like the handling of the foreground bush - nice work on that - it really jumps forward and has the right feel.

You probably have it but if not get Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting - particularly with the hills/rocks - he talks about painting the character of the thing so a cloud feels like a cloud, a rock like a rock, etc.

Keep it up man!

Jeff

Thanks
    Nice work!

Keep posting!

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Thanks

re:

Jeff, thank you for your insightful critique. You've got an excellent eye for painting. You have pointed a lot of stuff that I didn't notice. I'll keep that in mind for the future paintings.

Jordan

Thanks
    Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,547 Posts
    You're welcome Jordan! And thanks in return...it always seems easier to see things in other people's paintings. I hope it helps. You really are are on the right track so just keep at it. Might think about taking a class with someone like Matt Smith. Also I recommend Richard Schmid's book "Alla Prima" - if you don't already have it.

Jeff

Thanks
    Nice stuff !!.. I especially like the second last picture. The interplay of light and shadow is really beautiful in that painting. Keep it up.!!
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog