Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gah. Requirements!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gah. Requirements!

Hey all!

I've got some bitter-sweet news, and wondering if I can get some help. ;3

As some of you may know, i'm hastily applying for a new course in university. This came about only a few weeks ago, when I realised programing just isn't what I want to do with my life.

That being said, I applied not too long ago, and finally got the reply last night;

Portfolio Interviews, 12th December.

I have never made a portfolio, and don't know what to do. :/

Is 3 week-ish long enough to do something like this?
    The good news is, one of their guides basically says not to worry about doing ALOT of finished work, just show potential, etc.

I'm scared not knowing what to do in such little time, and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and hints. I really dont' know what to do in a 'short' amount of time that will show potential, so any details or things you think would help, would be awesome!

Thanks heaps, guys.

Please review my sketchbook!
    Give me tips!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First look at the type of work the students make in the last year of the university course.
    If it's similar to what you want to do, go for it.
    They will want to see eagerness, human figure studies and maybe a still life.
    Depending on if you take painting/drawing/illustration as a major, your portfolio should hint to it. So lots of drawings for drawing, some paintings for painting and some stylised characters(I'm guessing here) for illustration.

If however, you don't think the 3rd year work of what the school's students do is good, and if you want to learn how to paint and draw traditionally, go to an atelier, there's a list on artrenewal on places you can study at.
    But they're expensive. It is however, still better than wasting 3 years at a university.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... I got help from an art teacher which was giving lessons for not much money. It worked wonderfully. I made one portfolio and that was enough. Maybe there's someone in your area that does the same?

3 weeks is enough IF you have a solid base.

Normally they want to see that you are well versed artwise and can tackle a theme creatively. For example: draw screwdrivers in watercolor, make loose pencil sketches and finished ones from screwdrivers, make finished paintings form screwdrivers...do the same with other themes and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have works to pick from, or are you making a whole portfolio in three weeks from scratch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Do you have works to pick from, or are you making a whole portfolio in three weeks from scratch?
    From scratch.
    That's my worry.

I understand the first two people to reply were trying to help, but that's a little too advanced for me. The whole reason im doing this it to learn painting, drawing etc. They're introduction classes, to prepare for 2nd/3rd year.

I also have no way to check what the other classes were like nor see their work.

It's more like.. show that I have SOME skill in stuff, I think.

Give me tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can do it in three weeks, but you'd better be prepared to work your ass off.

Draw at least one painting every day. So start one every day, even if you don't finish it that day. Do a few outdoor studies if you can, of landscapes or architecture. Do one or two still lifes. Do studies from life of people-- I would try to do a few finished studies but even a page full of gesture drawings or sketches would work. You can either convince friends/family to sit for you (doesn't have to be nude) or you can go to a public place, like a cafeteria or park, and sketch people there.

Try a few different media, charcoal, graphite, maybe some pastels if you want to try color. Basically just get a good range of subject matter, show them you're interested.

I would say take 2 weeks to crank out as many drawings as possible. Take the last week to refine a few of the pieces and make them more finished, and then pick out the best 10-12 pieces you have. Send those, and see how it goes.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vSanjo View Post
    I understand the first two people to reply were trying to help, but that's a little too advanced for me. The whole reason im doing this it to learn painting, drawing etc.

+

I also have no way to check what the other classes were like nor see their work.
    Sounds like a crappy university. Before you start paying 10-20k per year, check out 1-3 month intensives like studio escalier, Grand central academy, Lavender hll studios, ....

They're perfect if you want to learn painting and drawing basics. After that it's up to you what you do with them.
    Most university courses however give you zero guidance, either saying technical guidance is kitsch, not necessary or other bullshit while in reality they just don't have teachers qualified or the need to teach people how to draw and paint.

And if escalier and alike still seems too much for yourself, just get some cardboard, some gesso, couple of tubes of acrylic paint, some decent brushes and start painting. Post them in a sketchbook here and get some decent critiques. At least you won't have to deal with pointless theory courses that eat away time(not counting anatomy/color theory/art techniques history) .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Sounds like a crappy university. Before you start paying 10-20k per year, check out 1-3 month intensives like studio escalier, Grand central academy, Lavender hll studios, ....

They're perfect if you want to learn painting and drawing basics. After that it's up to you what you do with them.
    Most university courses however give you zero guidance, either saying technical guidance is kitsch, not necessary or other bullshit while in reality they just don't have teachers qualified or the need to teach people how to draw and paint.

And if escalier and alike still seems too much for yourself, just get some cardboard, some gesso, couple of tubes of acrylic paint, some decent brushes and start painting. Post them in a sketchbook here and get some decent critiques. At least you won't have to deal with pointless theory courses that eat away time(not counting anatomy/color theory/art techniques history) .
    I'm from Australia, so I don't.. think we have them sort of courses?
    University here is like College + University at other places, in a way. There is no middle-ground (TAFE, yes, but nty.)

I'm going into this course with a mindset that I want to learn everything from fresh. I have no 'great' skills, nor are my drawings amazing (Check my sketchbook. That's pretty much my level atm.).
    I struggle with painting, but i'll try. I just want to learn the basics, then 2nd year, 3rd year, the more advanced stuff.

@Viridis; Thankyou. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    By 'Draw atleast one painting every day', did you mean paint it literally, or just draw something in any material? My painting skills are less than favourable, and think I could pass off pencil, charcoal and other things better. I could probably do a nice shaded ball in paint, at best.

Also; I just called the student help, and their second round of interviews are actually 22nd December. So that lands 4 weeks, and not 3. (:

Edit: Here is the course. Just for reference.

Last edited by vSanjo; November 21st, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Give me tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I struggle with painting, but i'll try. I just want to learn the basics, then 2nd year, 3rd year, the more advanced stuff.
    The webpage offers no work of students, so it's hard to tell if the education is decent, mail them back and ask for some examples of student work if possible.
    If they say they can't do that, you know you won't be learning much.

And get a temporary passport for Europe, those last 3 months as far as I know, and go to one of the courses? The courses are done in English, so you'll be able to follow.

But ask Bumskee/Form or in the local Australian thread
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55
    if those people know of any decent schools where you live.

Because if you have the misfortune of going to a bad school, you will get zero guidance in trying to learn the basics. They won't teach block-ins, envelope drawing, sight size, how to use colors, etc etc.
    All of that will be self study, which is possible, but on average it takes 4 times longer to do. So by the end of your 3-4 years there, you still will not have decent skills.

If you're fine with self study and the downsides of it, then by all means, go to a university, but try to pick one with as little theory as possible.
    Leaves more time to actually paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@Viridis; Thankyou. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    By 'Draw atleast one painting every day', did you mean paint it literally, or just draw something in any material? My painting skills are less than favourable, and think I could pass off pencil, charcoal and other things better. I could probably do a nice shaded ball in paint, at best.
    Yeah, I meant do one drawing each day; it doesn't matter what media you're working in. Sorry to be confusing.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.