I'm Positive This Has Been Asked Before, But...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm Positive This Has Been Asked Before, But...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm Positive This Has Been Asked Before, But...

Okay. Sorry about a repost on this topic, but search engines seem to hate me, and I couldn't find anything on the topic. And I'm not too observant, either.

Here we go.

Okay, so, a couple days ago, I sent an e-mail to the www.LAAFA.org asking about the age I need to be to sign up, and what my portfolio should contain, as it's a figurative and fine arts atelier, which also has part time sessions. It's 16 grand a year, which is relatively cheap, and I found out that they're a very small school. Just barely three years old. But, I wanted to go, seeing as I'm in need of what they can offer.

So, I sent the e-mail, and about two hours later, someone called me back. I talked to a woman for a while, and she didn't really answer my portfolio question, but answered that so long as I have my GED, I can attend the LAAFA. (Which I am working on now through independent study.)

And she then spoke with my mom, and my mom pretty much sold me in saying that I was very talented for my age. Which, I don't believe, but I do like to think I have some skill. (See sketchbook thread link for my crap.) And, well, the woman wants to float me on a scholarship to another school called The Art Center. Or see if she could, anyway.

But this all seems irrelevant. My point: WHAT should I have in my portfolio? I talked to a medical 3D artist buddy of mine who went to school, and he said to have variety in concepts, (Obviously) showing off technical and creative skill. But I'm still somewhat at a loss as to what I should SPECIFICALLY have in my portfolio. Of course, I struggle with crushing self-doubt and negativity a lot of the time, which I intend to remedy, but it prohibits me from thinking anything I do is worthy enough for portfolio work. :U

Could someone with experience shed some light on this for me? I've been left puzzling it over for a day or two.

Cosmic Fusion

CRIT WEEK. FUCK YEAH.
    CRITIQUE CENTER
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by A'mihisss View Post
    Of course, I struggle with crushing self-doubt and negativity a lot of the time, which I intend to remedy, but it prohibits me from thinking anything I do is worthy enough for portfolio work. :U
    Fist of all, cut this out. Believe it or not, your mother is right. Yes, I know she's your mother, and has to like everything you do, but I'm just some random dude on the internet who's never met you and has no reason to pump you up, and I agree with her. So stop with the woe-is-me and accept the fact that you've got some talent.
    Secondly, LAAFA is a good program, and one of the good things about it is that along with the full-time atelier program they offer tons of individual classes and workshops. So you could check out a class or two without having to commit to full time (and also use those classes to beef up your portfolio, if/when you decide to go full-time there or somewhere else).
    And finally, to answer your main question, check out the Accepted Portfolios thread in the Education section.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Fist of all, cut this out. Believe it or not, your mother is right. Yes, I know she's your mother, and has to like everything you do, but I'm just some random dude on the internet who's never met you and has no reason to pump you up, and I agree with her. So stop with the woe-is-me and accept the fact that you've got some talent.
    Secondly, LAAFA is a good program, and one of the good things about it is that along with the full-time atelier program they offer tons of individual classes and workshops. So you could check out a class or two without having to commit to full time (and also use those classes to beef up your portfolio, if/when you decide to go full-time there or somewhere else).
    And finally, to answer your main question, check out the Accepted Portfolios thread in the Education section.
    Ewell, you just made my friggin' night. Seriously. I always need a good kick in the ass to ever get myself feeling positive. Thank you. And I'm totally gonna look that over right now - thanks again man.

Cosmic Fusion

CRIT WEEK. FUCK YEAH.
    CRITIQUE CENTER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excuse me for this, but one reason you didn't find any old thread with the answer to your question is because the other people also like to put unrelated titles to their threads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sodAp For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.