Need help from good pro ppl ><
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need help from good pro ppl ><

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help from good pro ppl ><

I guess i ll begin with an intro><
    Im a year 2 product design student moving on to year3.
    Currently on holiday right now and wanting to improve my drawing skills. I always wanted to become a concept artist who can draw anything from imagination (got lots of stuff in my head but cant get them out / \)

Here I am looking for help from all the pros artist, how should I start?

I love drawing but when I fail to make something look good I lost my motivation and stop.....

Name:  DSC04993.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  DSC04994.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  DSC04995.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  52.6 KB
    Name:  DSC04996.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  60.9 KB

I love drawing cars...but thats pretty much the only thing i draw apart from concepts for school...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm not a pro, but here goes.

there are a lot of threads on CA about how to get better at drawing, for example many people start with andrew loomis, bridgeman, hogarth, and other books to learn anatomy.

really doing more life drawing and just drawing more every day will help you. also don't forget to do drawings from (still life too)

good luck!

oh check this thread out : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131117

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously. You don't even need big pro to answer you because it's pretty simple problem. You can start by drawing a lot from life. Draw buildings, people, pets, plants, landscapes, everyday objects. Try to figure out how to translate it all into the language of basic volumes that you use to construct your cars.
    With figures it's also matter of drawing stuff from anatomy books like Loomis, Bridgeman, Bammes (while reading them). Memorizing all the bones and muscles. You can for example first play with simple mannequin figure created by Loomis in "Figure "Drawing For all it's Worth" book. Then introduce more complex stuff as you go along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys>< compare to me probably everyone in this forum is pro...
    better get started><~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With designing cars, perspective is important. There are some gnomon dvd's that are about designing cars if I remember correctly. Just first start with copies from existing cars, then place them in a scene with correct perspective and after that, start with putting each element (tires, roof, doors, ...) in correct basic forms that match the overall perspective(starting from a basic box shape where you grind away mass to construct a rudimentary car.).

And also check out the tutorials that Yoitisi did.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Farvus and dlq recommend will certainly help with figure construction if that's what you're looking to do. But the skills a product designer needs are very different and very specific; i.e. drawing man-made objects (straight edges, ellipses, etc) is rather different than drawing anatomy, landscapes, etc. You should be concerned if your ID program didn't offer a basic foundation in this type of drawing, but here's how to get the crash course...

Start with Scott Robertson's awesome DVDs. It can be a bit confusing at first, but force yourself to really pay attention. If the DVDS are 'the class demo', then this is the textbook. Don't be fooled by the kid-friendly presentation of the book; the actual drawing technique is pure gold (and of course it applies to much more than toy cars.)

Feng Zhu also uses similar techniques to Robertson (they were both educated at Art Center, where Robertson is currently heading the Entertainment Design program.) - Feng's tutorials are definitely worth checking out as well.

There are a couple of extra, important things to learn about perspective from Carl Dobsky's Perspective 1 & 2 (for example, placing objects in space accurately and in relation to one another). While you're in the MB store, you should also pick up El Coro's weapon design, Sam Brown's Vehicle Concepting, and Kemp Remillard's Vehicle Concepting as well.

For basic drawing help with product design, I recently picked up this awesome book called Sketching by Koos Eissen - which is full of beautiful and highly skillful sketches. If you're a product design major, this book is a must have.

And of course, there's our very own Yoitisi (Guido Kuip) who runs the ID of the week challenge and had a mentoring program going for a while - he's doing an ID masters and is a wiz at drawing in this particular way, so check it out. (Also, I'm fairly certain that Guido is a student of Koos Eissen; just an interesting little thing to know.)

For examples of artists who are very successfully employing these sorts of techniques in the entertainment field, check out Doug Chiang, Neville Page, and Ryan Church. Also have a look at Kevin Hulsey, who uses similar methods for technical and automotive illustration.

Anyway, the instructional materials may set you back a few hundred bucks, but that's a very small price to pay if this will be your career and especially if you aren't being taught this at school. So pick this stuff up and start practicing! The end result is worthwhile: an extremely powerful skillset for drawing symmetrical objects accurately and in perspective from any angle, including the ability to calculate light, shadow, and color... essentially doing on paper what a 3D program does on a computer.

I hope that helps, and best of luck. Cheers!

<edit: I also just stumbled across this a couple minutes ago: Design Sketching -looks pretty legit; I'll definitely check it out and let you know if it's helpful. >

Last edited by Greg Lambrakis; November 20th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: adding a link

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Lambrakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks hyskoa & greg for the advise >< i've got most of the tutorials u've mentioned i think i ll start with yoitisi's assignment. although we had half a year of drawing class with an amazing tutor but i still feel like i cant draw... i wana be able to draw everything like all u pros in the forum><
    there are so much things i wana learn, like using a tablet (i bought a intros3><) feeling like i missed alot cos i couldnt take graphics or art class in high school....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not alone skyone. Work hard=d

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.