Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

no anti-bush ad in the superbowl

http://www.moveon.org/cbs/ad/

without getting into teh politics of whether or not bush is good or bad, i do think its an interesting situation where cbs is refusing to air the ad. these conglomerate media companies are getting scary.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    CBS has stated that they don't want to air political ads. An ad by PETA was also denied.

Thanks
    They don't want to show political ads, but they're airing one from Bush himself... right...

I think it's "they don't want to show political ads that they don't agree with."

I really don't know how much I'd have agreed with either ad, but the fact that a public forum like that is instantly turned down due to the potential controversy involved is disheartening.

Thanks
    Hey, I'm all for shooting down PETA's usual deceptive shock tactics, but this ad really needs to be seen. Bad move on CBS's part.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    WOW!!! That was REALLY informative and full of information. I agree, why ban it. It was not misleading OR manipulative at all.

Thanks
    Originally posted by stalecracker
    WOW!!! That was REALLY informative and full of information. I agree, why ban it. It was not misleading OR manipulative at all.
    Lol. :chug:

Thanks
    lol
    yay for sarcasim!

i agree...CBS can play whatever they want...
    pro bush or not...its their choice..since when do they HAVE to take money for an ad they dont want to run.
    im sure this ad will get its air time on the other networks...
    i dont wanna see that crap during the super bowl ANYway.
    im not pro bush by any means, but like i said..their choice.,..oh fucking well.
    it always makes me laugh when people get upset when they find out about this kinda stuff...like politics is in any way honest and forthcoming..PLEASE!
    person runs for office, person gets lots of money from a large company, thats the way it works, for ANYone running for office, i dont care what party youre part of....get over it, it happens.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    they should air this instead of those ads.
    http://bushflash.com/thanks.html

personally, i think the great unwashed masses take what is said on television to be the truth; sadly a majority of americans cant think for themselves, except for the bastions of intelligence along the coasts, and elsewhere.
    Last edited by seb; January 28th, 2004 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    HELL YEAH!!!
    They SHOULD air the EDITED DOWN FOOTAGE of what was, more likely than not, a FIREFIGHT in a WAR ZONE. As for the soldier? That's the way a Soldier/Warrior has and always will think.

That's what they DO...

KILL PEOPLE.

It reminds me of the classic Vetnam footage of the Vietnamese Officer tagging the "Innocent Civilian" in the head and casually walking away. No one EVER mentioned "In the day" that the man executed was VIETCONG and had successfully attacked and killed some of the Officers troops. Why? Because it's not news. Creating stories about soldiers killing innocent people is sells WAY more footage and gets you noticed...

just ask Sen. John Kerry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I say we all take up arms and "mess with texas"

Thanks
    *sigh*

Thanks
    so essentially your argument is "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." what happens when you run out of eyes and teeth? people usually want to do stupid things for a reason... like ending their own lives. their lives must really suck if they are willing to under go the ultimate sacrifice for what they believe in. and its a matter of perspective whether that person is a patriot, a martyr, a terrorist or a murderer. i think the most commendable thing is the strength of their conviction.

texas frightens me as do most of the southern states. if texas is really is like king of the hill, then i'm never going to step foot there.

but seriously now, forcing people to think is good. even if the conclusions that they come to are totally different than youre own. i think that really should what our republic is about. really to vote at all requires alot of work and research. its like buying a car. talk like this is good for our country.
    Last edited by seb; January 28th, 2004 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    LOOK what you did Ty!!

-Lono

:p

Thanks
    HELL YEAH!!!
    They SHOULD air the EDITED DOWN FOOTAGE of what was, more likely than not, a FIREFIGHT in a WAR ZONE. As for the soldier? That's the way a Soldier/Warrior has and always will think.

That's what they DO...

KILL PEOPLE.

It reminds me of the classic Vetnam footage of the Vietnamese Officer tagging the "Innocent Civilian" in the head and casually walking away. No one EVER mentioned "In the day" that the man executed was VIETCONG and had successfully attacked and killed some of the Officers troops. Why? Because it's not news. Creating stories about soldiers killing innocent people is sells WAY more footage and gets you noticed...

just ask Sen. John Kerry.
    i guess you could call this "an eye for an eye", but really, showing footage of soldiers killing people to prove how wrong something is, is like showing footage of an artist drawing or painting: its what they DO! thats the whole point of the military is to wage war, or defend against it, everyone knows this. that footage of them shooting the guys in the truck is like an on the job video, just bacause the guys theyre shooting at arent shooting back doesnt mean jack shit, we dont know the situation, its a gawdamn war, horrible stuff happens, people die....sure it sucks, no one wants it, but using it to prove wether or not somone is a good leader is just ludicrous.

im sure theres much more actual evidence against Mr. strategery you could use instead of footage of soldiers doing their JOBS.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Personally I like Seb's post with the link to Bushflash.com.

I actually admire the US more after watching it. I knew we had screwed Iraq, but I never knew we did it that bad. Hell, we are badass, and we got the cojones to wheel and deal like nobody's business! THATs what true politics is about. Bush understands that. (or he's just real slow in the head)

Face it, politics is dirty business. If you didn't know that then you need a reality check, and if you don't like it then shut your mouth because thats what keeps your country running. Doesn't matter if you live in the US or in Madagascar, politics is not about being nice and moral, its about cheating, stealing, lying, and double dealing your way to the top. Do you think that the Democrats are better than the Republicans? Well, they're the same except for policy differences. They're still cheating assholes. Look at Clinton, and his Monica thing (I did not have sexual...oh wait, shit ) or Kosovo. Fact is, Clinton was just as bad as Bush (somewhat), he was just discreet (something Bush should learn before he makes the US even more unpopular).

As for using footage of soldiers doing their jobs to discredit the leader, that is stupid. Soldiers do what they are trained to do, and thats kill. End of story. What did you think they did in a war...have tea and cakes and pleasant conversation?

on the original post: CBS is a private corporation, they can do whatever they want as long as it is legal, and not airing an ad is very legal. No surprise that they don't want to air anything against Bush though, anyone who messes with him seems to get bombed.:evilbat:

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    its a matter of perspective whether that person is a patriot, a martyr, a terrorist or a murderer.

WOW...
    What an amazingly ignorant statement.
    So, by THAT very definition... A child rapist would be different from a subtle pedophile who builds trust then gains intimacy?!? PLEASE- there are VAST idealogical, ethical and moral differences between a Patriot (which really doesn't fit into this category... but whatever) a Martyr, a Terrorist and a Murderer. If you truly cannot grasp that or, better yet, see that then you truly are void of conscience.

texas frightens me as do most of the southern states. if texas is really is like king of the hill, then i'm never going to step foot there.
    HAHAHAHAH... Perhaps the best reason I now have for living here and further iron-clad proof that you float vapidly in a sea of Liberal dogma.

OH yeah...

GOD bless Texas... YEEEEEEEHAW *spit*

Thanks
    Originally posted by dfacto
    Personally I like Seb's post with the link to Bushflash.com.

I actually admire the US more after watching it. I knew we had screwed Iraq, but I never knew we did it that bad. Hell, we are badass, and we got the cojones to wheel and deal like nobody's business! THATs what true politics is about. Bush understands that. (or he's just real slow in the head)

Face it, politics is dirty business. If you didn't know that then you need a reality check, and if you don't like it then shut your mouth because thats what keeps your country running. Doesn't matter if you live in the US or in Madagascar, politics is not about being nice and moral, its about cheating, stealing, lying, and double dealing your way to the top. Do you think that the Democrats are better than the Republicans? Well, they're the same except for policy differences. They're still cheating assholes. Look at Clinton, and his Monica thing (I did not have sexual...oh wait, shit ) or Kosovo. Fact is, Clinton was just as bad as Bush (somewhat), he was just discreet (something Bush should learn before he makes the US even more unpopular).

As for using footage of soldiers doing their jobs to discredit the leader, that is stupid. Soldiers do what they are trained to do, and thats kill. End of story. What did you think they did in a war...have tea and cakes and pleasant conversation?

on the original post: CBS is a private corporation, they can do whatever they want as long as it is legal, and not airing an ad is very legal. No surprise that they don't want to air anything against Bush though, anyone who messes with him seems to get bombed.:evilbat:

i like you
    well said
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    All in all and regardless of what you people have said. CBS not airing the ad just boils down to blatant censorship. And skank.. I guess you'll be happier watching beer commercials and Jeep ads? Time for you to wake up man. Seriously.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Grooveholmes
    All in all and regardless of what you people have said. CBS not airing the ad just boils down to blatant censorship. And skank.. I guess you'll be happier watching beer commercials and Jeep ads? Time for you to wake up man. Seriously.
    the super bowl is all about goofy ads, i know people who watch it just for that. it has nothing to do with "waking up", its entertainment. entertainment and politics shouldnt mix in my opinion (which is just that, you are of course, entitled to yours) . i dont think they should be airing ANY political ads during the super bowl, thats the most expensive time slot for TV ads, and they spend too much freakin money on their trumpet blowing as it is. censorship or not, its still the choice of CBS to air what ads they want to, who are we to tell them what to air and what not to air. its their choice to make.
    Last edited by Skank; January 28th, 2004 at 08:44 PM.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    All in all and regardless of what you people have said. CBS not airing the ad just boils down to blatant censorship.
    No it doesn't. It would be the first political ad shown during a superbowl. Like Skank said, CBS wants to keep the Superbowl hours as entertainment.

Thanks
    Originally posted by cotron
    They don't want to show political ads, but they're airing one from Bush himself... right...
    Bush himself? The Drug Agency is the one who submitted the ad, and it's about helping kids on drugs.

Thanks
    i think it would be refreshing when politcal issues become more important than a game of football.

Thanks
    Originally posted by seb
    i think it would be refreshing when politcal issues become more important than a game of football.
    i can agree with that, but i think theres a time and place for everything..and this isnt it.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks

COMPLACENCY

Originally posted by Skank

i can agree with that, but i think theres a time and place for everything..and this isnt it.
    You, little boy; aren't the one to decide what the time and place is for it. And this complacent attitude of yours that would rather watch a bunch of jocks butt heads is part of the problem. People Just Like YOU are the problem. Who cares, take 30 seconds to ruminate on an alternate viewpoint. The game last 5 fucking hours, what's 30 seconds. What better way is there to reach hundreds of millions of people at once. You definately wont hear that point of view coming from any of the big 5 corporations that currently control the media in this country as it is.

And.. MTW, the drug agency is very much an arm of the White House. So yes, like it or not.. It was a very political ad.

Not only that.. but the mere fact that CBS WON"T show the ad is a political statement as well.

Sooooo, you guys lose. You support bush? You Lose.
    You think he has your best interest in mind?
    You Lose.
    Take a look at his track record in office, Has he done one thing to show that he has our best interest in mind?
    We all Lose.l

Thanks

Re: COMPLACENCY

You, little boy; aren't the one to decide what the time and place is for it. And this complacent attitude of yours that would rather watch a bunch of jocks butt heads is part of the problem. People Just Like YOU are the problem. Who cares, take 30 seconds to ruminate on an alternate viewpoint. The game last 5 fucking hours, what's 30 seconds. What better way is there to reach hundreds of millions of people at once.
    Oh no, people are having fun.

And.. MTW, the drug agency is very much an arm of the White House. So yes, like it or not.. It was a very political ad.
    The Drug Agency would be around and making those ads even if Bush wasn't there.

Not only that.. but the mere fact that CBS WON"T show the ad is a political statement as well.
    No it's not.

You Lose.
    Take a look at his track record in office, Has he done one thing to show that he has our best interest in mind?
    We all Lose.l
    That's a pretty cocky attitude you have. All I'm talking about is why CBS won't air the ad. I'm not saying anything about Bush.

Thanks
    The Drug Agency would be around and making those ads even if Bush wasn't there.
    No, look at the statement those ads made. They were in direct correlation with previous remarks shrub had said in numerous speeches.

Thanks
    :hearts: :inlove: :hearts: :inlove: :foundlove :inlove: :hearts:

come on guys, keep it positive... let's not start calling names and that sort of thing.

Thanks

Re: COMPLACENCY

You Lose.
    We all Lose.l
    hmm, i cant remember ever saying i supported bush..EVER.
    i dont in fact. i didnt vote for his dumb ass (or gores for that matter)
    what i AM saying is MY personal opinion. im not telling you what to think, im not forcing my views on you, im mearly stating MY opinion (as are you, as is everyone) and you calling me an ignorant child (basically) isnt really helping any issues get resolved.
    just because i may not have agreed with you or seb, doesnt mean i agree with CBS, bush, or ANY politician for that matter.
    i find that a bit arrogent. the fact is, CBS can play whatever the hell they want to. does the fact that i think this make me complacent? no, im just stating my opinion.
    the mere notion that ANY politition running in this upcomming election isnt biased, or have some big finacial backers is just silly. they are going to lie, cheat, and steal their way into office, the same as they always have. this is one of the many times its going to happen this year, so getting upset about it and yelling at me for bing "the" problem isnt going to fix it.

vote his ass out of office (which im going to be doing.) so we can have another president to complain about. heh, i dont think my problem is complacency, i think its just the fact that im a cinical bastard who has no faith in a corpulent system of greed and corruption...i hate polititions...end of story

im sorry if my opnion doesnt agree with yours....ill try harder next time.

:chug:
    Last edited by Skank; January 28th, 2004 at 11:12 PM.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Yeah I understand.

Its also my understanding that the airwaves (including television) are supposed to belong to the people. But they don't anymore. You have your GE's and yout Clearchannels that control any communication that gets through.
    So, somehow Nike (a bunch of slavers) are allowed to say anything they want. But an organization like Move On (which is comprised of citizens) cant.
    Its BIG BUSINESS at its finest. One corporations money is better than the next. And got forbid the people have a say.

Thanks
    Yeah I understand.

Its also my understanding that the airwaves (including television) are supposed to belong to the people. But they don't anymore. You have your GE's and yout Clearchannels that control any communication that gets through.
    So, somehow Nike (a bunch of slavers) are allowed to say anything they want. But an organization like Move On (which is comprised of citizens) cant.
    Its BIG BUSINESS at its finest. One corporations money is better than the next. And got forbid the people have a say.
    i can honestly say i fully agree with that statement
    money.
    thats what its about.
    (i probly should have stated this earlier lol)
    me saying CBS can show whatever they want is brought on by the fact that its gotten to the point where these big companies can do whatever they want to, how they want to, and WHEN they want to....hence my loss of faith and overall "fuck you" to the government.
    the only thing we truly count for now is which asshat gets into office next.

heh, i havent talked about politics in so long, it gets my blood boiling so i try not to, but im glad we're having this discussion.

cheers man
    -------
    I wont fail now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast